Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2016 8:06 am  #1

In Defense of Jim Ferry

Conference Games Only:

FIELD GOAL PCT DEFENSE

Rank                              Team                             G   FGM     FGA       Pct
1                                    Duquesne                      5   132       335        39.40%
2                                    Dayton                           6   136       329        41.30%
3                                    George Washington        5   119       285        41.80%
4                                    George Mason                5   136      325         41.80%
5                                    VCU                              5   115       270        42.60%
6                                    Rhode Island                  5   108       250        43.20%
7                                    La Salle                         5   115       266        43.20%
8                                    Saint Joseph's                5   134      300        44.70%
9                                    Davidson                        5   141      311        45.30%
10                                  St. Bonaventure              6   163      355        45.90%
11                                  Fordham                        5   133       277       48.00%
12                                 Massachusetts               5   134      279        48.00%
13                                 Richmond                       5   141      292       48.30%
14                                 Saint Louis                     5   132      264       50.00%

1/20/2016 9:10 am  #2

Re: In Defense of Jim Ferry

There is only one measuring stick W's & L's, and the last time I looked it was 14-41 for his stay in the A-10. Take out year one which I believe shouldn't be on him and its 13-26. This year of course 2-3. Just win some DAM games!!!!!

Last edited by The Dome (1/20/2016 9:10 am)

1/20/2016 9:17 am  #3

I agree, winning is the ultimate measuring stick.  I thought it was worth pointing out where we stood on defense relative to our league since everyone said this was the area where we absolutely needed to see improvement. 

1/20/2016 9:22 am  #4

The Dome wrote:

There is only one measuring stick W's & L's, and the last time I looked it was 14-41 for his stay in the A-10. Take out year one which I believe shouldn't be on him and its 13-26. This year of course 2-3. Just win some DAM games!!!!!

What is the point of all of this? Results are expected this year, and so far, so good. I don't need to see a thousand threads defending, or bashing Ferry. He hasn't pulled off any surprising wins, nor has he lost any games that he shouldn't have. 2-3 is exactly what you would expect them to be, given the schedule to date.

1/20/2016 9:34 am  #5

Duq 81 I'm sorry I totally disagree. There have been several games there for the taking. The defeatist attitude that makes us accepting of subpar performances is no longer acceptable. I'm sick and tired of excuses and defenses. Win and I'll shut up.

1/20/2016 9:51 am  #6

duq81 wrote:

The Dome wrote:

What is the point of all of this? Results are expected this year, and so far, so good. I don't need to see a thousand threads defending, or bashing Ferry. He hasn't pulled off any surprising wins, nor has he lost any games that he shouldn't have. 2-3 is exactly what you would expect them to be, given the schedule to date.

This team has been so bad the last three years that for most of us the goal going into the season of having a simple winning season was very modest for this year.  So far Ferry is on track to meet or exceed that goal.  A big part of that has been the improvement in the defense.  But as Dome states the ultimate goal for this team is to win championships and get to the NCAA.   A winning season this year, developing a winning attitude, and moving up to the top part of the league next year is vital for this Program.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/duquesne/2016/01/20/Improved-defense/stories/201601200053

1/20/2016 9:53 am  #7

The "defense" part of the title was nothing more than a play on words.  I'm not defending, bashing or praising anyone.  I posted statistics with no commentary.

1/20/2016 9:56 am  #8

I must have misread the current record, are we 6-12? I like this board but sometime I feel like I went back in time to 1977-78, where people in my office would complain after Steeler wins that the defense was scoring all our points and we needed a better Q Back.

I for one will enjoy every win we get and was surprised that the defense has stepped up. And pleased.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/20/2016 10:58 am  #9

DOME- I agree - it is W and L and so far he and the team have produced this year.  I also go along with your synopsis of his tenure so far over the last few years.  Giving him a pass on that first year - ok...and the years after that.  Tonight - let's win and if not, let us not get blown out.  Going to try to go down to the game for Saturday at Mason...will depend on the weather.

1/20/2016 12:42 pm  #10

I think for most of us, this is just a case of  being one year behind. This was the level of performance most of us expected last year,(Steve was even willing to bet me on this result two years ago  19-20 wins and NIT level)  not the nightmare that got off to the horrible non-conference record and the year just got worse.

Perhaps this has led us to press a little bit, thinking "we should be better than this level in year 4"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera