Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2015 4:11 pm  #1

Open Letter

We were 6-1 and got smoked by an ACC team that shot 68% from the floor. I hated it, I hated every single second of it. I told you guys at the start of the season that this is the biggest game for us. So many students were in attendance and I can not tell you how embarrassed we were to wear our colors. But what is more embarrassing is the culture of this forum after this loss. I understand that you guys are beyond sick and tired of losing year in and year out. I just hope you continue to point out what needs to be done to change this program around instead of dwell in the misery of mistakes. Things such as, Eric James, even though hes a So. dropped 21 points and needs to play more. Or LG gill who is 6-8 needs to stop taking three's and take it to the rack. I truly believe Pitt is the best team we will play all year. At the end of the day, the season is far from over. Let's stand together...support them as much as possible...and get ready for the turn around. 

Roll Dukes Roll

12/07/2015 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Open Letter

Pitt played a complete game on Friday, and would have beaten many top 20 teams had they been able to play to that level, but that is where it gets tricky.  When they are not the obviously superior team, they often play tight and shoot poorly; i.e. against Purdue.   Pitt played good defense, shot the lights out, rebounded, hustled, and just won every phase of the game.  Add to that our physical limitations, and  that was not a winnable game.  They play very loose against Duquesne and shooting is much easier when you are loose and confident.  There is no pressure on them, because they know that they are the superior team. 

For Duquesne, they know they have a slim margin for error when playing a team like Pitt, a well-coached, deeper, and physically superior team; so they often feel the pressure to be perfect,  That doesn't usually translate into good shooting.  That is not unusual in sports, and it's best to move on, and go on a long winning streak to prove that Friday's game will not define Duquesne as a team.

12/07/2015 5:25 pm  #3

currentstudent wrote:

We were 6-1 and got smoked by an ACC team that shot 68% from the floor. I hated it, I hated every single second of it. I told you guys at the start of the season that this is the biggest game for us. So many students were in attendance and I can not tell you how embarrassed we were to wear our colors. But what is more embarrassing is the culture of this forum after this loss. I understand that you guys are beyond sick and tired of losing year in and year out. I just hope you continue to point out what needs to be done to change this program around instead of dwell in the misery of mistakes. Things such as, Eric James, even though hes a So. dropped 21 points and needs to play more. Or LG gill who is 6-8 needs to stop taking three's and take it to the rack. I truly believe Pitt is the best team we will play all year. At the end of the day, the season is far from over. Let's stand together...support them as much as possible...and get ready for the turn around. 

It is too bad that the students finally come out in mass and (as you say) came away embarrassed to wear the colors.  But regrettably, the history of student support has been for them to show up for the Pitt game (or maybe some of the nationally TV games) and disappear for the other games.  We will see if there are any students at Palumbo tomorrow.

I agree with you and levon that we got smoked by a very good team.  Hopefully this will not define our season.  But let me tell you that people are going to have divergent opinions on this board.  To me that is not embarrassing that is the way it is.  If you think the reaction to the Pitt game was bad wait until you see the reaction (God forbid) if we lose to RMU.  My feeling is if you disagree with what someone has posted either ignore it,  post an responding argument, but not attack them personally. 

Last edited by CLK (12/07/2015 5:28 pm)

12/07/2015 10:55 pm  #4

Well said, CLK. 

The need is for a lot more current resident students to walk down the hill and support the team. The program will never get back without a push to re-establish a student fan base.

12/08/2015 11:03 am  #5

Yes I agree...but I think that's the university job to do. It hard for the few fans to get everyone to see them play crap teams when we get blown out of the water by pitt and Duquesne does absolutely nothing to associate ourselves with the basketball team. I can't wait until the new president comes in, I truly hopes he realize how much potential improving our basketball team can do for the university. 

Roll Dukes Roll

12/08/2015 2:28 pm  #6

Actually, we should not be "waiting" for the new President to do that.  I believe and hope the new athletic director will begin the improvements now.  If we win, the students will come.  That is where we are now.  With that said, my next statement is NOT comparing RE with Ferry, but the timeframe of change.  When the teams RE coached were winning, and I have said this before, the Palumbo was packed for many games and even sold out for a few.  Before that the attendance was terrible.  I know, I was one of about 300 in the stands during Danny Nee time.  If Ferry wins, the students will come back.  Plain old human nature, no one comes when a team loses.  The culture has to be changed.  It will only change if we win.  You can have all of the give aways, pizza's and sandwiches you want.  You have to win.

12/08/2015 2:39 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

Actually, we should not be "waiting" for the new President to do that.  I believe and hope the new athletic director will begin the improvements now.  If we win, the students will come.  That is where we are now.  With that said, my next statement is NOT comparing RE with Ferry, but the timeframe of change.  When the teams RE coached were winning, and I have said this before, the Palumbo was packed for many games and even sold out for a few.  Before that the attendance was terrible.  I know, I was one of about 300 in the stands during Danny Nee time.  If Ferry wins, the students will come back.  Plain old human nature, no one comes when a team loses.  The culture has to be changed.  It will only change if we win.  You can have all of the give aways, pizza's and sandwiches you want.  You have to win.

It's really as simple as that. The pirates are a great case study. They had some of the best promotions in the league but didn't get consistent sellouts until they started winning. Pitt basketball is another good example. From when the Pete opened until about 2 years ago you couldn't get a seat in that arena. As Pitt basketball has regressed the last few years, the demand has gone down. Not sure if you guys have watched any Pitt home games lately, but the upper deck is pretty empty these days even when Purdue played there

12/08/2015 3:14 pm  #8

I am right there with you. If we win, people will show up. But honestly the university needs to do their part too. I am from buffalo and UB is pretty average at football and pretty average at basketball (even though they did make the tournament last year.) However they push so much on athletics that even their sub-par teams get a ton of people in the stands. We literally have less than 30 students in the stands on an average night even though over 3000 of them living less than a city block away from the arena. We get sent 10 different emails a day from the university but not one is telling us about tonight game. 

I was a tour guide last year for DU and we don't even bring potential freshman into AJ Pulmbo! There are no posters of any basketball players anyone around campus. Duquesne owns buses that take kids from campus to south side. The bus are just plan white when they could be decked out in Dquesne basketball graphics. Things like this are easy fixes that would get people at least thinking about Duquesne basketball but the administration has invested ABSOLUTELY NOTHING towards bettering the university through athletics. 

Roll Dukes Roll

12/08/2015 3:37 pm  #9

There should be a member of the red and blue crew in every single dorm lobby with a sign up sheet and a strong personality to harass people to go to tonight's game.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/08/2015 4:38 pm  #10

We'll have a better idea of where we stand if we go into league play with a 10-3 record. Even a lot of good teams don't draw great for the ooc season, which is usually filled with unattractive teams. We open the conference schedule with Dayton. This will be a true test, provided we take care of business the next 4 games. Going into a home game vs Dayton, with a 10-3 record finally gives us something to sell.

12/08/2015 6:22 pm  #11

Just my two cents.   I have been embarrassed a lot of times by the performance of the men's bb team.  But never enough to stop wearing a Duquesne hoodie. 

I'm not embarrassed at all by the University.  I wish they would have done more with athletics over the years, but that's on them not me. 

And you will never find me wearing another university's logo.  I like Pittsburgh pro sports and college sports as they pertain to Duquesne.  Those are my only allegiances.   And poor performance will never make me switch to other teams to root for.

I have never understood the entire "subway alumni" of some colleges.  And I guess I never will. 

Finally, I don't think that what happens here after a loss is embarrassing at all.  It is the few fans who still give a damn at this point venting. 
And like CLK said, wait and see the what happens here if they lose to RMU again.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/08/2015 6:26 pm)

12/08/2015 7:02 pm  #12

duqkurt wrote:

Just my two cents. I have been embarrassed a lot of times by the performance of the men's bb team. But never enough to stop wearing a Duquesne hoodie.

I'm not embarrassed at all by the University. I wish they would have done more with athletics over the years, but that's on them not me.

And you will never find me wearing another university's logo. I like Pittsburgh pro sports and college sports as they pertain to Duquesne. Those are my only allegiances. And poor performance will never make me switch to other teams to root for.

I have never understood the entire "subway alumni" of some colleges. And I guess I never will.

Finally, I don't think that what happens here after a loss is embarrassing at all. It is the few fans who still give a damn at this point venting.
And like CLK said, wait and see the what happens here if they lose to RMU again.

I feel the same way.  The only reason I root for Pitt in anything (Football) is because I got my grad degree from there so I consider myself an alumni from Pitt too.  If Duquesne played Division 1 football then I would root for them over Pitt as well.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/21/2016 5:31 pm  #13

Ah, no painted busses, that's why we are losers for 50 years??

1/21/2016 5:34 pm  #14

newsherriff wrote:

Ah, no painted busses, that's why we are losers for 50 years??

nice

Roll Dukes Roll

Board footera