Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2013 9:16 am  #1

A-10 "Legends Team"

I noticed that Beth Friday was the lone Duquense Woman to be named to the A-10 Legends Team.  Congrats to Beth, she is deserving the honor.  Beth had a great understanding of how to play the post position.
That being said, how could they ignore Korie Hlede of Duquesne, who was the dominant scorer in the A-10 for four years, and did it with style.  She was a complete player who could "handle, pass, and score".  No doubt she belongs on this team.

1/17/2013 9:52 am  #2

Re: A-10 "Legends Team"

Per the A-10 website, each school nominated their legend.  I posted this in the other thread and then I deleted it, because Beth Friday is certainly deserving to be honored.   Having said that, Beth is also a member of the Advsory Board of the Duquesne Athletic Fund.  You can deduce from that anything you wish.  

I don't want to make it seem like I am taking away from Beth's honor as she is certainly a DU basketball legend.  But I would put her at Number 3 on the list of DU women's bb legends.   I would put Korie first and Candice Futrell second who played a season in the WNBA.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/17/2013 9:54 am)

1/17/2013 3:43 pm  #3

Definitely Korie first; Candace was also very good; but I wouldn't have a problem with Beth as the second choice.  My recollection is that Beth was more consistent over four years, but Candace took off in her last two years.  That is strictly my recollection and I haven't checked any of the stats for those two.  Korie was like the Croatian Magic Johnson; only a better shooter.

1/17/2013 5:42 pm  #4

Today I sent an e-mail to Bob Derda, Associate AD/External Relations, asking who made the decision on the selection of Duquesne's nominees for the A-10 Legnds.  While he didn't say who or what committee made the selection, he did say that one of the A-10's Legends' criteria was that the nominee had to be available for the ceremony.  I guess we are to assume that Korie was not available.  In the case of a nominee who has died, I suppose that a family member of the decedent would have to be available.  

Board footera