Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2016 8:41 pm  #51

Re: Richmond! The season, and maybe Ferry's tenure will be at stake here

Were stuck for next year, but Harper should be doing his homework during that year.

2/27/2016 9:16 pm  #52

I am guilty of believing that the good record to start the season was an indication that this team would be above average at least.  It is clear now that the early good record was the result of a very weak OOC schedule.  I should have known when they barely beat a poor Robert Morris team and St. Francis that the team is not very good.  The coach has to shoulder plenty of the blame.  I don't see the 7 game losing streak as a collapse.  I see it as the team and the coach performing at their talent level.  Again the team and coach just aren't very good in the A-10. 
This year I didn't buy the four season season tickets that I had purchased for the last several  years.   That was the best decision I made regarding this program in a long time.  I really wish that Duquesne basketball was something that we could all enjoy--but it just isn't.  I can't invest any more serious time, emotion or money in Duquesne basketball.   I will continue to be an observer but that's about it unless it ever changes--for real.

2/27/2016 9:35 pm  #53

duq81 wrote:

Were stuck for next year, but Harper should be doing his homework during that year.

Don't believe that we are stuck for next year. If right now Harper doesn't think Ferry is the guy to get the Dukes into the NCAA tourney and compete in the upper half of the conference, then you make the move now. Why lose another year over an incremental $600K?  This assumes that Harper has a coach targeted that he wants and could get now.

2/27/2016 9:40 pm  #54

I spoke to Harper for forty five minutes a week ago. He believes in Ferry. Ferry is going NOWHERE, sorry to break it to anyone!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/27/2016 9:47 pm  #55

Jim Ferry matches Danny Nee's 0-7 record in February of Nee's last season.

2/27/2016 9:54 pm  #56

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I spoke to Harper for forty five minutes a week ago. He believes in Ferry. Ferry is going NOWHERE, sorry to break it to anyone!

Tejas, that's cool. You certainly have the advantage of knowing the tone of your conversation. But do you really think Harper would have told you anything other than that?  Anything negative about Ferry serves no purpose at this time.

2/27/2016 10:17 pm  #57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzFvxOu_ZU#action=share

I don't even know where to begin. 3 guys Colter, Mason and James took 39 shots or 71%. You wonder why you only get to the foul line 7 times!!!!  You turn the ball over 16 times and have 12 assists. And yet once again very few substitutions except at the post because of the ever reoccurring foul trouble.

How can this team be dangerous?  Does he believe what he is trying to sell. And as I stated in the thread on Hurley I don't want to hear about losing J Jones. Rhode Island is down 2 of the best players in the league.

Last edited by The Dome (2/27/2016 10:31 pm)

2/27/2016 10:17 pm  #58

As I have been saying, J Rob came into the Rhode Island game, played 90 seconds and was never heard from again. I said he would ride the pines for the next 4 games at least. It has already been 2. Somebody earlier was talking about defense and Coach Ferry has a talented big sitting on the bench. J Rob has only played in 18 games for an average of 7.7 minutes per game. What does Ferry have against this guy? Last year somebody posted a comment about chasing Canadians away. I am starting to think they are right. As for Mason and Colter, I mentioned in another post that they are burning out. Another 38 minutes each.

Last edited by insideout (2/27/2016 10:19 pm)

2/27/2016 10:40 pm  #59

Insideout, Rhode Island used a bench player today by the name of Andre Berry he is a 6'8" Soph who reminded me of J Rob. What's funnier is he initially weigh 285 and they have him down to 270. Rhody used him in the pick and roll to tear Dayton to shreds. I only mention the weight because several posters felt J Rob was out of shape. I doubt if he was ever near those numbers weight wise. What a waste.

2/28/2016 12:12 am  #60

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Jim Ferry matches Danny Nee's 0-7 record in February of Nee's last season.

This is worse. That team was awful from the gate. After Achara got injured, everyone knew the gig was up for Nee. This is like the collapse after the 11 game winning streak, but worse. At least then we finished above .500, although the St. Joe's game was a gut punch, and probably was the point where GA, and certain alums turned against Ron. If Ferry didn't get that extra year, he might be out the door now. 1.8 million is a lot of money to swallow. Can we start a go fund me page?

2/28/2016 12:21 am  #61

You know, Ferry's style was supposed to be about getting to the rim, and getting lots of free throws from the inevitable fouls that would occur. We saw some of this when Soko was here. Now we launch endless threes. Our point guard is too small to consistently finish when he gets to the rim, Mason can't get to the rim at all, and we have a 6'8" forward hanging around the outside. I didn't think the loss of Jones was that big of a deal, but I was wrong. His "Swiss Army Knife" game has been sorely missed.

2/28/2016 10:22 am  #62

duq81 wrote:

You know, Ferry's style was supposed to be about getting to the rim, and getting lots of free throws from the inevitable fouls that would occur. We saw some of this when Soko was here. Now we launch endless threes. Our point guard is too small to consistently finish when he gets to the rim, Mason can't get to the rim at all, and we have a 6'8" forward hanging around the outside. I didn't think the loss of Jones was that big of a deal, but I was wrong. His "Swiss Army Knife" game has been sorely missed.

I like the go fund me idea. You're right on Ferry's style of getting to the rim and getting FT's. Right now, the Dukes are #282 in FT rate and #287 last year. Ferry's system works very well when you have a forward that can put the ball on the floor, create, get to the rim (just vision Ovie and Damian Saunders isolated around the FT circle with the ball). And they have to be able to hit an outside shot (15 foot range) to keep defenses honest. With Soko, the Dukes FT rate was #115 in the country. With Julian Boyd at LIU, Ferry was #2 and #5 in FT rate during the NCAA years.

I think Ferry thought he was going to get that Soko/Boyd type of player in Gill and Powell. Neither has (or will) work out in that role. And, at 6-5, both Jackson and James can be matched up defensively by most A-10 teams (when Ferry talks about opponents scouting, I think he is mostly referring to James who had early success in getting to the hoop).

So Ferry is stuck with a roster make up that doesn't fit what he wants to do.

2/28/2016 10:38 am  #63

There are more ways to get to the foul line than the slasher role provided by Sokio. Coach has been obstinate in changing his style of launch and pray. Last night Nayke gets his 10 minutes and provides 2 steals, 4 rebounds a basket and 4 of our 7 foul shots. What will that get him going forward?  Robinson is in his shot time has shown capable of getting the ball in the low post and doing something with it.

He claims all of the recent loses are not related. What is he watching, they are related in the relationship of bad shots, turnovers, fouls and lack of rebounding in key situations. The fact that NONE of these are address shows he doesn't believe they are a issue.

2/28/2016 10:48 am  #64

What's sad is that I actually think he has a roster for next year, that's fairly well suited for a halfcourt game. They'll have a point guard that is supposed to be a good floor general type, and good size up front. With the three point shooting backcourt gone, is he smart enough to alter his style to suit his roster, or will the guards still be launching threes at will? The one good thing about the collapse is that he can't go into next year thinking everything is great, and that he can keep doing the same thing.

2/28/2016 11:07 am  #65

Tejas_Duke wrote:

The buyout would be over a million and they just aren't going to do that. We're stuck with a sub.-500 team and a coach in over his head. In other words, typical Duquesne basketball.

2/28/2016 11:54 am  #66

duq81 wrote:

What's sad is that I actually think he has a roster for next year, that's fairly well suited for a halfcourt game. They'll have a point guard that is supposed to be a good floor general type, and good size up front. With the three point shooting backcourt gone, is he smart enough to alter his style to suit his roster, or will the guards still be launching threes at will? The one good thing about the collapse is that he can't go into next year thinking everything is great, and that he can keep doing the same thing.

duq81, I think that Ferry is a "perfect storm" coach; everything needs to be just right for his system to work ("building a program"). That's why he stumbled around for 7-8 years in mediocrity at LIU until he got Boyd and Olasewere as his 6-7 forwards and Brickman as his PG. That's why he's stumbling around in Year 4 at Duquesne. He's the type of coach who needs players that fit his system instead of adjusting to another system to give you the best chance is winning with the players that you do have. And I'll say it again, there is 18-20 win talent on this team; and if Smith is as advertised, then the cupboard is not empty for next year as you pointed out.

2/28/2016 1:07 pm  #67

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

duq81, I think that Ferry is a "perfect storm" coach; everything needs to be just right for his system to work ("building a program"). That's why he stumbled around for 7-8 years in mediocrity at LIU until he got Boyd and Olasewere as his 6-7 forwards and Brickman as his PG. That's why he's stumbling around in Year 4 at Duquesne. He's the type of coach who needs players that fit his system instead of adjusting to another system to give you the best chance is winning with the players that you do have. And I'll say it again, there is 18-20 win talent on this team; and if Smith is as advertised, then the cupboard is not empty for next year as you pointed out.

Scott Edgar was that type of "system" coach, and we know what a disaster he was.

2/28/2016 1:12 pm  #68

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I like the go fund me idea. You're right on Ferry's style of getting to the rim and getting FT's. Right now, the Dukes are #282 in FT rate and #287 last year. Ferry's system works very well when you have a forward that can put the ball on the floor, create, get to the rim (just vision Ovie and Damian Saunders isolated around the FT circle with the ball). And they have to be able to hit an outside shot (15 foot range) to keep defenses honest. With Soko, the Dukes FT rate was #115 in the country. With Julian Boyd at LIU, Ferry was #2 and #5 in FT rate during the NCAA years.

I think Ferry thought he was going to get that Soko/Boyd type of player in Gill and Powell. Neither has (or will) work out in that role. And, at 6-5, both Jackson and James can be matched up defensively by most A-10 teams (when Ferry talks about opponents scouting, I think he is mostly referring to James who had early success in getting to the hoop).

That is a nearly perfect post. What we have been seeing (and complaining about) on the court is diametrically opposed to his coaching philosophy. In some scenarios, this could be overcome by individual talent. This coach has shown no willingness or ability to adjust to his talent, to reign in disadvantageous habits, to provide meaningful minutes to role players, or to do anything but burn out his top 3-4 players. 

Same story, different day.

2/28/2016 1:30 pm  #69

rosceaux wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

That is a nearly perfect post. What we have been seeing (and complaining about) on the court is diametrically opposed to his coaching philosophy. In some scenarios, this could be overcome by individual talent. This coach has shown no willingness or ability to adjust to his talent, to reign in disadvantageous habits, to provide meaningful minutes to role players, or to do anything but burn out his top 3-4 players. 

You know, I was thinking, do you think Ferry is starting to panic now and just trying to hope that his top guys can pull out a win or two to salvage the season, rather than put the bench in, who has blown the leads during the streak?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/28/2016 2:29 pm  #70

Tejas_Duke wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

You know, I was thinking, do you think Ferry is starting to panic now and just trying to hope that his top guys can pull out a win or two to salvage the season, rather than put the bench in, who has blown the leads during the streak?

Spot on! Short of a miracle run in Brooklyn, the season can't be salvaged at this point.

2/28/2016 4:05 pm  #71

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

Spot on! Short of a miracle run in Brooklyn, the season can't be salvaged at this point.

We are going to be dangerous in Brooklyn. Coach said so.

2/28/2016 4:26 pm  #72

I would take the Dukes at 3/2 odds to win a prelim, but would need 5/1 to bet on two wins in Brooklyn.  Their second-half swoons don't bode well for the day-to-day grind of the Conference tourney.

Board footera