Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2016 6:47 am  #26

Re: Everhart Interview

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

[. We have gone out and hired an outside assistant only once in the program's history. That was John Carroll, who did a better job than all of the head guys we've brought in other than Ron, and he was sabotaged by Brian Colleary.

Wow and Ron was sabotaged by HIS AD!  Wow, Duquesne Hooops is a regular little Game of Thrones isn't it?

And let's not forget how Red Manning killed our chances to hire Gary Williams.

3/01/2016 7:44 am  #27

I guess now is as good a time as any to reiterate my negative opinion of our new president. I actually dislike the term "culture" with regards to teams and sports but it fits this conversation. We could go on and on for the 40+ years of failure and what did we do? Obviously come up with a internal candidate. Harper is a different breed but I'm wondering how long it will take to break him.

As always my apologies for being the half empty guy.  Also I have never had a chance to meet Mr. Gormley so I want to apologize up front because I have no doubt of his abilities. It just all needs to change.

Last edited by The Dome (3/01/2016 7:48 am)

3/01/2016 9:42 am  #28

Mulder wrote:

The Dome wrote:

I guess now is as good a time as any to reiterate my negative opinion of our new president. I actually dislike the term "culture" with regards to teams and sports but it fits this conversation. We could go on and on for the 40+ years of failure and what did we do? Obviously come up with a internal candidate. Harper is a different breed but I'm wondering how long it will take to break him.

As always my apologies for being the half empty guy. Also I have never had a chance to meet Mr. Gormley so I want to apologize up front because I have no doubt of his abilities. It just all needs to change.

I don't know that hiring internally was the best option we had.  I've heard from others who currently work there that we interviewed some good candidates from outside that they would have preferred. 

That being said, Mr. Gormley certainly comes with a track record of achievement with the law school (at least to an outsider, non lawyer like myself) and with contacts through his work there and his writing that I'm willing to give him time to make the job his.  And that being said, there is more to the job than men's basketball.  Hopefully, he will recognize that it is one program Duquesne needs to improve significantly along with other programs and fund raising that need support.

And with other posts here, I've read a lot of opinions about a new coach and I'd like to see us get an in-depth discussion on the board about that following the season because I'm interested in opinions considering all that has gone on here for the last 40+ years.

Well, we're just getting warmed up with the new coach thing. I figure we'll be watching the tournament to see what rising stars there are that we can keep an eye on next season. Of course maybe Ferry will shock us, and actually win enough games next year, but I don't blame anyone for not expecting that. That's about as likely as us cutting down the nets in Brooklyn next weekend.

3/01/2016 10:58 am  #29

The Dome wrote:

As always my apologies for being the half empty guy. Also I have never had a chance to meet Mr. Gormley so I want to apologize up front because I have no doubt of his abilities. It just all needs to change.

No apology needed as Mr Gormley is said to be a Democrat - a party well known for leading from behind. 

3/01/2016 1:14 pm  #30

Mulder wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Mulder wrote:

I don't know that hiring internally was the best option we had.  I've heard from others who currently work there that we interviewed some good candidates from outside that they would have preferred. 

That being said, Mr. Gormley certainly comes with a track record of achievement with the law school (at least to an outsider, non lawyer like myself) and with contacts through his work there and his writing that I'm willing to give him time to make the job his.  And that being said, there is more to the job than men's basketball.  Hopefully, he will recognize that it is one program Duquesne needs to improve significantly along with other programs and fund raising that need support.

And with other posts here, I've read a lot of opinions about a new coach and I'd like to see us get an in-depth discussion on the board about that following the season because I'm interested in opinions considering all that has gone on here for the last 40+ years.

Well, we're just getting warmed up with the new coach thing. I figure we'll be watching the tournament to see what rising stars there are that we can keep an eye on next season. Of course maybe Ferry will shock us, and actually win enough games next year, but I don't blame anyone for not expecting that. That's about as likely as us cutting down the nets in Brooklyn next weekend.

Part of my interest comes from your comment "watching the tournament to see what rising stars there are..."  My bet is that any "rising stars" won't be too interested in coming here unless Harper is able to pull off a great image adjustment.  Duquesne - the place where coaches go to die.  But then, I agree, the time to talk about this is later and I haven't completely given up on Ferry.  Why (if anyone is interested)?  I really don't know - I just haven't.

Hey, I've seen drowning coaches pull a life raft out of their behinds before, so as long as he's here, I'll never say never. As mad as we are now, a three game winning streak would basically shut most of us up (for a minute anyway), not that I have any expectation of that happening. I always go back to PJ Carlesimo. He was in his fifth year, and had been every bit the dud that Ferry has been. Midway through what looked like another losing season, the fanbase was in an uproar, and he looked sure to be fired at the end of the year. Suddenly, the team started to click. They ended up in the NCAA's, and a year later, they were a horrible referee's call away from cutting down the nets on an early Monday in April. Not expecting anything like that here, but, sometimes things like that do happen. Until he's fired, or until it's a total collapse, like Nee's final year, I'll try to keep a little bit of hope.

Board footera