Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2016 11:34 pm  #1

My conversation with Dave Harper

About a week after the Turnpike incident, I called Harper's personal assistant and asked her to pass on a message to him. Since he was a busy man, I did not expect him to speak to me personally and I did not mind that. She and I chatted about the turnpike publicity and it came around to my longstanding frustration with the program and to my letter that I wrote back when Ron was fired.  She asked me to send her a copy and she forwarded it on to Harper, and thanked me for sending it.

This happened during my school day, so my phone was off, but lo and behold when I checked my voicemail after school, there was a one minute message from Harper himself. I was impressed that he took the time to call me personally.  And he emailed me as well.

Well last week I finally got around to his email and told him I would like to speak to him, and he called me that day after my school day ended.  We spoke for 45 minutes. He listened to me, took note of my (and by extension that of every long suffering fan) disappointment, impatience and general frustration with the program. He told me some things about the state of the program that were rather confidential, and he asked me to keep them secret, which I have done and will continue to do so.

His major points:

1. The DU mens basketball program needs a top to bottom overhaul. He told me of an outside party that did an analysis of the program, top to bottom and the results were presented to Dr. Dougherty, the board and others. The report was rather scathing and pulled no punches. I got the idea that some of the entrenched ideas and "we've always done it this way" people in the AD were in for a surprise.

2.  He has a long term plan for success, that he will implement.  Among the things he told me was that keep in mind that he was in Dayton, when they hit the skids after some excellent seasons during the 90s and didn't win 15  games in three straight years.  A total rebranding if you will.

3.  He mentioned some really good "off the court" things Jim Ferry has done for the program, and he reitereated that Jim Ferry is "his guy" and the one he believes will be the long-term answer to fit in to his plan for the future.  He was adamant about this. JIm Ferry IS GOING NOWHERE in the near future!  Even if the team fails to win another game, Ferry returns next year.

4. Several times during our conversation, he and I brought up the Pirates (he is a life-long Bucco fan) and how the team was run during the McClatchey/Littlefield era, where the goal was just to break the .500 streak and not worry about the long term focus of the franchise.   He repeatedly told me that he was not here, just to make the NIT every so  often and maybe luck into an NCAA bid once in a blue moon. His goal is to rebuild and rebrand the DU image, top to bottom.

I have to give the man credit for talking to me for as long as he did. He seems to have a vision in mind and a long range goal in place.

And once again, Jim Ferry is NOT GOING ANYWHERE!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/28/2016 1:04 am  #2

Re: My conversation with Dave Harper

I agree that he is not going anywhere this year, but hopefully after next year, AD Harper will see the following:
1.  What little following is left is dwindling
2.   I could be wrong, but next year Is most likely going to be worse than this year.  THe two top scorers will be gone, two seniors, and Ferry couldn't coach DC to a point where he knew when not to shoot, though I really, really liked DC and I know some of you didn't.
3.  Let's see how the AD will back Ferry when more people abandon ship, the attendance averages 900, and folks get on him for keeping Ferry AFTER next year.
4.  Dave Harper is human and I give him credit for being supportive.  Obviously, though Ferry can't coach in the A10 and hasn't recruited anyone outstanding, he obviously is a good talker with ADULTS!  How else could a coach who hasn't had a winning season gotten an extension and then has "convinced" the AD that he is on the right path.
5.  Dave, Cleveland thinks they are on the right path this year with the football franchise again, and again, and again....
6.  I have also spoken with Dave and he is a really nice guy...I wish him luck, am not sure whether I should even buy my men's tix next year, and won't be supporting the athletic office with any $$ until tournaments take place for the men.  And you know what, they won't care either.

2/28/2016 8:02 am  #3

Due to Tejas we all know where the AD stands and why(coach is "his man"), at least for now.  Frankly, respect Mr Harper's resolve and vision for Dukes MBB.  Will just live with it.  

On another note, doesn't get much easier next vs Fordham, a team that is changing its look.  Guard dominant, their 6-3 frosh was 3 ribbies short of the first triple-double in school history vs Davidson.  John Severe, their "great freshman" from 3 years ago in the midst of a down year, averaging only 8 points and played less than a minute last night. May be a team that is turning the corner.  Played in front of nearly 3000 excited last night at Rose.  

2/28/2016 9:25 am  #4

Hilltopper wrote:

On another note, doesn't get much easier next vs Fordham, a team that is changing its look.  Guard dominant, their 6-3 frosh was 3 ribbies short of the first triple-double in school history vs Davidson.  John Severe, their "great freshman" from 3 years ago in the midst of a down year, averaging only 8 points and played less than a minute last night. May be a team that is turning the corner.  Played in front of nearly 3000 excited last night at Rose.  

Under 1st year coach, Jeff Neubauer, Fordham has 6 conference wins so far this year, matching Ferry's top A-10 mark in his 4 years. But Fordham's situation is different, since they have a rich tradition of winning in the A-10, tremendous facilities and great support from the administration. Yeah.

2/28/2016 9:40 am  #5

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Under 1st year coach, Jeff Neubauer, Fordham has 6 conference wins so far this year, matching Ferry's top A-10 mark in his 4 years. But Fordham's situation is different, since they have a rich tradition of winning in the A-10, tremendous facilities and great support from the administration. Yeah.

Good one Phoenix.  Amazing what can be accomplished when you can hire a coach who actually knows what he is doing. 

2/28/2016 10:30 am  #6

Tejas, thanks for your post.  Harper seems like an astute guy and will not be swayed by excuses, but he also knows DU can't afford to buy out Ferry's contract and given DU's history of firing coaches that he needs to give Ferry more time (another year or two) to be able to attract a good coach to DU.  Having said that Harper has be applying the heat to Ferry to turn this around.  This team is a disaster after 4 years.  The talent level is sub par and there is too much dead wood to carry. I do not know if the APR has gotten any better under Ferry (as I understand it they measure back the last three years) to allow Ferry to shed some of this dead wood to get better talent.  I like his three recruits for next year but he still needs to bring in another guard (preferably a grad transfer) who can contribute, and another shot blocking center. Guys like Powell, James, Steel and Sanders need to really work hard to become better players.  If James is going to play he needs to have confidence to shoot and consistently make wide open threes (or I. Mike be the real deal and put James on the bench).  Powell has great athletic ability but is a mess defensively (can't play defense without fouling), learn to shoot free throws (look at the damn basket not your feet when shooting), and be smarter with the ball.  The biggest thing that has to happen is to get rid of some of the dead wood on the coaching bench and get somebody who can teach defense.  Steel I think will be a terrific player with more experience under his belt if Ferry doesn't ruin him.  He played yesterday, and hit his only shot.  After that he barely touched the ball. I could go on, but I am done.  None of the above will happen. We are stuck with Ferry and will be hearing more excuses next year (thanks Amodio and Charlie). 

I don't want to give false hope about this program, as we all know too well about how hyprd players don't always turn out,  but my comment above regarding Isiaha Mike making a statement next year as a legit 3 and pushing James to the bench,  here is something North Pole Hoops just wrote about him. 

"A humble kid with a fiery competition level and highlight reel plays. Isiaha Mike was first spotted in 2013 when he came on the scene and since then has been maximizing his potential and climbing towards his projection. There isn’t anything on the floor that he is not able to do offensively and he can defend up to four positions. Earlier mentioned as a potential NBA prospect, that term is not tossed around lightly. Isiaha Mike is legit!"

Read more at

http://northpolehoops.com/2016/02/25/biosteel-all-canadian-selections-here-are-the-takeaways/#VuqopxiXHXO9QQP4.99

Last edited by CLK (2/28/2016 11:21 am)

2/28/2016 12:22 pm  #7

CLK,
Question:  Do you have information (not asking for specifics) that Harper is really putting heat on Ferry on is that a guess on your part?  After reading Tejas information that would surprise me.

ToAll:  Remember when Cook, I think it was him, wrote a number of years ago that Duquesne Basketball is irrelevant?  Well, I think we have arrived again.  You can't find an article on many game days, it isn't announced during the sports on most radio shows, and yesterday, if you read the Tribune you saw that they sent the regular Duquesne sports writer to cover high school basketball games and had another guy fill in to write about the game yesterday. 

This is a question and is not meant to be cruel - Tejas, maybe you can answer from. your conversation with him:  Does the AD realize how irrelevant DU basketball is?  Does he realize that more folks go to a high school basketball game?  Those are sincere questions.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by FAM (2/28/2016 12:23 pm)

2/28/2016 12:39 pm  #8

1. What little following is left is dwindling
At this point, I don't think that matters. The program has bottomed out, and whether we have 800 people in the Palumbo or 500, at this point it doesn't mean anything.  In fact one of the things Harper said to me was "It's so bad, we actually have a "home court DIS-advantage."
2. I could be wrong, but next year Is most likely going to be worse than this year. THe two top scorers will be gone, two seniors, and Ferry couldn't coach DC to a point where he knew when not to shoot, though I really, really liked DC and I know some of you didn't.
Agreed, but who knows.
3. Let's see how the AD will back Ferry when more people abandon ship, the attendance averages 900, and folks get on him for keeping Ferry AFTER next year.
See my point above.
4. Dave Harper is human and I give him credit for being supportive. Obviously, though Ferry can't coach in the A10 and hasn't recruited anyone outstanding, he obviously is a good talker with ADULTS! How else could a coach who hasn't had a winning season gotten an extension and then has "convinced" the AD that he is on the right path.
Harper believes in Ferry, but I think a lot of that depends on if his recruits (Mike, Lewis and Littleson, plus the transfer guard) work out.  I do believe the seat will get warm if we end up with a ten or less win season, regardless of what Harper says to us now.
5. Dave, Cleveland thinks they are on the right path this year with the football franchise again, and again, and again....
So did the Pirates for 20 years and they figured it out.
6. I have also spoken with Dave and he is a really nice guy...I wish him luck, am not sure whether I should even buy my men's tix next year, and won't be supporting the athletic office with any $$ until tournaments take place for the men. And you know what, they won't care either.
I can tell you his take on that,  "It's easy to raise money when you win."  He is not going to listen to threats and returned season tickets and checkbooks shutting (let's be honest, how many checkbooks are still open at this point for this program. Mine has been shut for years).  He has a plan to totally rebuild and remake the University's flagship program and he is sticking to it.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/28/2016 12:50 pm  #9

Tejas_Duke wrote:

This is a question and is not meant to be cruel - Tejas, maybe you can answer from. your conversation with him: Does the AD realize how irrelevant DU basketball is? Does he realize that more folks go to a high school basketball game? Those are sincere questions 

Yes, he is not ignorant of the dire situation into which he stepped.  He mentioned that outside party who conducted and objective evaluation of the entire program and the resulting 9 page report. "Scathing" and "brutal" were among the adjectives he used!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/28/2016 2:11 pm  #10

I am sure he told you, as he told me they have hired a guy (someone he brought in that he knew) to do the rebranding as he called it.  It is not easy to do when you almost never win.  this will be interesting.

2/28/2016 2:29 pm  #11

My sentiments echo those of Professor1099 in the other thread almost to the letter.  The only difference is my season tickets went from 4 to 2 about six years ago and then 2 years ago I gave up the last two.  Hell, I couldn't even get anyone to go when I just had the two tickets!!  So other than that just cut and paste the Professor's comment and you guys know how I feel.  Anyway it is nice to get some information about Harper's take on things. The one thing I would probably disagree with is his comment that Ferry is his guy, or something to that effect.  He didn't hire him so he clearly is not his guy.  Simply put, he is stuck with him due to the $$$ so what else is he going to say.  The only thing for certain is what FAM stated, "it will be interesting".  By that I mean what other changes at the Admin level and the ADepart will he get pushed through????  When someone works for you and their explanation for why things are done a certain way is "we've always done it like that", well good like with upgrading/rebranding with that mentality.  Frankly that type of explanation merits a pink slip!!!

2/28/2016 3:31 pm  #12

PistolPete wrote:

.  Anyway it is nice to get some information about Harper's take on things. The one thing I would probably disagree with is his comment that Ferry is his guy, or something to that effect.  He didn't hire him so he clearly is not his guy.  Simply put, he is stuck with him due to the $$$ so what else is he going to say.  

Once again, without revealing anything I was told in confidence, Ferry is his guy. He believes in him, and is not just sticking with the guy he was "stuck with"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/29/2016 10:33 am  #13

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Neubauer a '93 LaSalle grad played for Speedy Morris.  Last 10 years @ East.Ky. he won 101 times over past 5 years including post seasons/NCAA.  Before EK  was asst. for John Beilein @ WVU 3 yrs.  When signed by Fordham Beilein quoted stating he's as smart a coach as he's ever been around. Note, his top assistant is Rodney Crawford, assisted Ron 2 years here.

3/01/2016 7:32 pm  #14

Thanks for the info Tejas.   The thing I find most interesting is not the Ferry comments.  It is the fact that it took Harper's third party report to prove to the board and the President they were not doing it properly. 

Damn, we have been telling them that for years.   And the results of the program speak louder than any complaints. 

I like Harper.   But I have NO faith the Board and the new President will change anything substantial in regards to mens bb.

Board footera