Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2016 11:00 am  #26

Re: Powell Transferring

Ferry's 5th year next year - I can not imagine how we won't be worse.  Now, not only will the two leading scorers be gone, but one of the most athletic guys will be gone, someone who had a chance to start next year or definitely be the 6th man.  Will Teflon Jim use this as another reason why he won't post a winning record AND get us to a tournament.

3/01/2016 11:00 am  #27

Duques102 wrote:

Man this blows. It's like this program can never really take a step forward. This is definitely a huge step back for the program. Hope we can get a grad transfer forward or Juco guy that could step in right away to help replace his impact. He was our best big offensively scoring and passing. Don't see anyone on the current roster that can replace that, even with an offseason to develop. I thought Smith and a combo of guys could help make up some backcourt production but this is yet another hole in the roster going into next year.

The public perception is worse than the basketball reality.  Ty could jump and dunk, but wasn't developing the other skills needed to be an effective player at this level.  As I pointed out in my earlier post, there are far too many negatives surrounding Ty to make this a great loss in terms of basketball.  He can be replaced, hopefully with someone who is willing to work hard to improve himself as a player.  His attitude would have prevented him from making progress.  The coaches gave him so many chances and went to bat for him, but there are limitations as to what you can tolerate.
Those that are trying to turn this into some type of failure on the part of the coaches are way off base in this case.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/01/2016 11:04 am)

3/01/2016 11:09 am  #28

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Man this blows. It's like this program can never really take a step forward. This is definitely a huge step back for the program. Hope we can get a grad transfer forward or Juco guy that could step in right away to help replace his impact. He was our best big offensively scoring and passing. Don't see anyone on the current roster that can replace that, even with an offseason to develop. I thought Smith and a combo of guys could help make up some backcourt production but this is yet another hole in the roster going into next year.

The public perception is worse than the basketball reality. Ty could jump and dunk, but wasn't developing the other skills needed to be an effective player at this level. As I pointed out in my earlier post, there are far too many negatives surrounding Ty to make this a great loss in terms of basketball. He can be replaced, hopefully with someone who is willing to work hard to improve himself as a player. His attitude would have prevented him from making progress. The coaches gave him so many chances and went to bat for him, but there are limitations as to what you can tolerate.
Those that are trying to turn this into some type of failure on the part of the coaches are way off base in this case.

agree with this. He was a major disappointment this year. Somebody compared him to TJ, which is crazy. He couldn't carry TJ's jock.

3/01/2016 11:13 am  #29

duq81 wrote:

Grad transfers, and jc guys are mostly worthless. Pitt's grad transfers are doing nothing, and the Gibbs kid at UConn has been a huge disappointment.

Four McGlynn ain't doing bad at Rhody though. I know it's a total crapshoot taking one of those guys but you have decent depth already with Lewis, Gill, Sanders, and Robinson (if he even stays). I'd take a chance on a guy who could be a frontline starter for a year and be a stop gap while you can spend next year finding a 4 year player with a full recruiting period to find a good fit.

3/01/2016 11:16 am  #30

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

The public perception is worse than the basketball reality. Ty could jump and dunk, but wasn't developing the other skills needed to be an effective player at this level. As I pointed out in my earlier post, there are far too many negatives surrounding Ty to make this a great loss in terms of basketball. He can be replaced, hopefully with someone who is willing to work hard to improve himself as a player. His attitude would have prevented him from making progress. The coaches gave him so many chances and went to bat for him, but there are limitations as to what you can tolerate.

agree with this. He was a major disappointment this year. Somebody compared him to TJ, which is crazy. He couldn't carry TJ's jock.

I agree his production can be replicated, he was just the best post option we had offensively passing and scoring wise. Just need to find someone who can at least fill that role and perhaps exceed it. I agree that while super athletic he was still very raw in terms of basketball skill and IQ. Still a significant loss until a replacement is found though.

3/01/2016 11:34 am  #31

In his first game of the season in The Gulf Coast Classic, he got in and set a moving screen and caused a turnover, he looked at ref and said "F U" and got a T and soon sat down in that loss.

He would not have made the team a winner, goodbye.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/01/2016 11:48 am  #32

Who knows? Maybe this could be a blessing in disguise as perhaps Isaiah Mike gets a bit more playing time and battle testing during his freshman year.  Perhaps Jordan Robinson sees this as the opportunity to get off the bench and make his last two years here mean something, and now he doesn't transfer!

I loved Powell's athleticism, but he made too many bone head errors and stupid fouls.  It's not like Tysean Powell is going to be the major difference between 10 wins and 22 next year.  Many other chips will fall or not fall, much bigger chips, to determine the season's fate.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/01/2016 1:11 pm  #33

I see the revisionist history is starting already.

I have no idea why he is transferring and no idea what has been going on behind the scenes. I have no idea about his character, either positive or negative. But to paint him as anything other than one of our two most talented and/or reliable post players is ridiculous. Ty was far less than perfect, but he did things on offense that no one else on the team was capable doing. If noting else, he was giving our post 20 minutes per game that Ferry didn't feel would have been better served by any of the other players. While his play against Richmond may have been sub-par (one of the few games I didn't see or listen to), he provided a spark off the bench in most other games. He improved some aspects of his game, though not all. I'll be glad to never see his free throw shooting for the rest of my life.

People are citing Robinson as a viable replacement when he's seen less floor time than Nick Foscia in the past three weeks? I've always called on him to play more and to play meaningful minutes, but lets not pretend that this coaching staff has developed a viable replacement for this or any other position.

I don't want anyone on my team that cannot or doesn't want to represent Duquesne well. But I'm also not going to minimize what he did give to the team while he was here.  This is not the Arizona kid, but it is a significant loss for a team with an already thin front line. (And please don't tell me that Gill plays the 4.)

Last edited by rosceaux (3/01/2016 1:12 pm)

3/01/2016 2:23 pm  #34

rosceaux wrote:

(And please don't tell me that Gill plays the 4.)

Don't get me wrong because I totally agree with you about Powell being a loss, see my post. However Gill does play the four. I mean, I get your point because his game/skill set mirrors one of a guy playing the 3 but he has pretty much started every single game this season as the 4, with Jones and then James taking over the 3 spot.

3/01/2016 5:05 pm  #35

Powell was very athletic but I'm not so sure he was giving it his all when he was on the court.

3/01/2016 5:38 pm  #36

I'll say one thing about this. I wasn't going to watch the Fordham game, but now I'm very curious as to how they will play with Powell gone.

3/01/2016 5:41 pm  #37

Was Powell a problem in the locker room? 

Does his leaving result in adding by subtracting?

Sometimes a team improves as a team when one player, who is a problem for whatever reason, leaves.

I am not critical of Powell.  I have seen fellow workers who were unhappy leave and the workplace and the departing individual are better off.

3/01/2016 6:41 pm  #38

My excitement level with this program is at a all time low.

Yes Powell was a head case, but I want a program that takes these types of players and makes them act right.

I don't know fellas....there are just so many things wrong with Duquesne basketball right now.

Roll Dukes Roll

3/01/2016 9:39 pm  #39

I've said this all along how does anyone know where they stand. Other than the first 6 players all bets are off as to the random substitution pattern. Having watched guys launch shots whenever, fail to rebound, fail to distribute the ball what parameters would Powell feel that he needed to live within. I've said this all along its a undisciplined group.

As many have already mentioned Powell's play was very erratic along with his disciplinary problems but it never cost him. He's been the 6th man all along. He probably feels he deserved more time.

Last edited by The Dome (3/01/2016 9:43 pm)

3/01/2016 10:13 pm  #40

What makes losing Powell a big blow is that he, as a soph., had 2 years left here, and he has been  playing 20 plus minutes a game now.  Big guys are not that easy to find that can play.  It's hard to know if he was a problem to handle for the coaches, but with the playing time the coaches used him, I would assume they viewed him as part of the future for this team.  So few players got off the bench this year, that replacing him next year will be like starting over instead a veteran player coming back. His sudden departure leaves all of us guessing  what the heck is going on here?   

3/01/2016 10:26 pm  #41

NapaDuke wrote:

What makes losing Powell a big blow is that he, as a soph., had 2 years left here, and he has been  playing 20 plus minutes a game now.  Big guys are not that easy to find that can play.  It's hard to know if he was a problem to handle for the coaches, but with the playing time the coaches used him, I would assume they viewed him as part of the future for this team.  So few players got off the bench this year, that replacing him next year will be like starting over instead a veteran player coming back. His sudden departure leaves all of us guessing  what the heck is going on here?   

I'm very curious to see who will get his minutes tomorrow.

3/01/2016 11:01 pm  #42

I'll find it very amusing if it's Robinson and he performs well. I'm betting on Sanders but he and Lewis are so foul prone. Hey based on the launch offense we could go small??? 😱😱😱😱😱

3/02/2016 5:52 am  #43

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

I'm very curious to see who will get his minutes tomorrow.

I would say that Mason and Colter will now play 50 minutes a game. Coach will figure out a way to make it happen! 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/02/2016 7:46 am  #44

Dukes are 4 1/2 to 5 point favorite.

3/02/2016 11:29 am  #45

NapaDuke wrote:

I would say that he probably was a problem to handle for the coaches based on him missing games both this year and last year due to suspension. At least I think he missed a game or two last year.

3/02/2016 8:13 pm  #46

Again I ask if Ferry is the right guy for this job.  Attendance down.  An extremely soft schedule to pile up wins and what has it done to improve the outlook for the program?  Maybe he gets to play 5 guards next year. I am not trying to be negative - just trying to see where the positives are.  I do not see them.  Not sure why Powell left.  Not sure why Castro is buried on the bench.  Where is Sanders?  Maybe he will play more since Powell left.  Should the program arrow be pointing up given the years that Ferry has been here?  Just asking.......

3/05/2016 7:11 pm  #47

This was a kid with a lot of athletic talent and potential..... all of which are never well handled in the Duquesne program....

3/05/2016 8:19 pm  #48

They need a new coach..  They got lucky today because Mason & Colter took about 40 jump shots. They have the shortest backcourt in D-1 hoops. LG Gill in a good program would be a "3"  Eric James would be a "2" Darius Lewis should be a "blowout center" meaning he only sees the court if team is up by 30 with 3 minutes to play.  He does not recruit local kids.  Ferry must be afraid of heights because he refuses to understand after 4 years and super soft non conference scheduling that u need good bigs to either A - get some easy baskets, put backs, and a presence to draw the D for easy kick outs or B someone to defend other teams with average to good bigs and to help block shots when the guards get beat.  He recruits too many guards and wonders why there are issues over playing time.  If the new AD wants to make going to Palumbo fun and upgrade the program then start with the coach who has done very little and looking ahead has underwhelming talent coming in.

Board footera