Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2013 3:48 pm  #1

DU 65 Temple 45

Women go to 14-3.  3-0 in A10.  Big day for Wumi.  23 points. 

Jocelyn Floyd didn't play also.  She is game to game with a shoulder injury. 

Last edited by duqkurt (1/20/2013 4:01 pm)

1/20/2013 8:02 pm  #2

Re: DU 65 Temple 45

I was unable to get to the Palumbo for this afternoon's game.  As I understand it, an impressive win was enjoyed by Duquesne fans who attended the game.  I was concerned about how long the injury to Jocelyn's shoulder from the previous game with St Louis might restrict her play.  In the post-game show Coach Suzie said that Jocelyn was being re-evaluated by the docs later in the day.  She said that there was concern about having her return to the line-up prematurely and possibly cause more serious damage to her shoulder.  So there's no set date for her likely return to the court.

Suzie said that she was "scared to death" about the Dukes' play against Temple without the defensive skills of Jocelyn but was very pleased with how Vanessa Abel, who started in her place, and Ahjah Hall played.  Between both players they were able to snag 9 steals.  Prior to this game the Dukes had averaged 13.8 steals per game when the Jocelyn, the Princess of Pilfer, was in the line up.  Today the team was able to top that average by getting 15 steals, obviously showing their mettle when one of their key players is down.  Wumi has had two 20 + pt. games in a row - possibly she's a good bet for A-10 player of the week.  A big win and confidence builder for the Dukes!

The Dukes' next opponent, VCU (H) lost to GW, 79-68, today and now has a reconrd of 8-10 (1-2).  Not taking into account the results of today's
A-10 games, Sagarin makes the Dukes a 11 1/2 pt. favorite at VCU on Wednesday.  While I don't want to look past the VCU game, the Dukes' game against Fordham, 13-5 (3-0), on Sunday, Jan 27th at the Palumbo should be quite a match-up.  Fordham's women's program has been really terrible for the past five years: overall, 40-109 (26.8%); and in the A-10,10-60 (14.2%), including a 0-29 (0-14) record in 2008-2009.   It's good to see a program that has been down for so long making a serious run for the top of the A-10.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (1/20/2013 8:45 pm)

1/21/2013 12:43 am  #3

Re: DU 65 Temple 45

Agreed it's nice to see Fordham rebound nicely, but I'm not willing to make them contenders at a serious run for the top of the A10, at least not yet, and likely not in the near future either.  Note they're led by a grad student transfer from South Carolina in the SEC, and their second best player is also a senior, though they did get a top 100 recruit in for this year in Samantha Clark, who is averaging 8.5 ppg.  IMO at best they're at 4th behind UD, SJU, and DU, and from what I've seen the top 3 are a distinct amount in front of the rest.  It should still make for a good game on Sunday though...

Board footera