Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2016 6:39 pm  #1

Outstanding Publicity for the Dukes

As duq81 mentioned in another thread, there's a ton of benefit in playing UConn. First and foremost, the national publicity that the Dukes are receiving right now is through the roof. Here's a good article:  http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-women-foe-sidebar-0321-20160320-story.html

3/20/2016 9:05 pm  #2

Re: Outstanding Publicity for the Dukes

Thanks for posting that. Very nice article.

3/21/2016 6:08 am  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

As duq81 mentioned in another thread, there's a ton of benefit in playing UConn. First and foremost, the national publicity that the Dukes are receiving right now is through the roof. Here's a good article: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-women-foe-sidebar-0321-20160320-story.html

This is what I was talking about. If we were an established power that had a legit chance to reach the Final Four, I'd want to avoid UConn as long as possible. Since we're not yet at that point, getting this publicity is worth way more than losing a game vs another P5 power, where no one is paying attention. We're going to be on ESPN2. This game could springboard us into becoming a fixture in the rankings. We have a great coach, and this may allow him to get in the mix with some fairly elite players.

3/21/2016 8:06 am  #4

Burt's already getting some of the best in the world.

3/21/2016 11:18 am  #5

Here's another story - this one about Erin Waskowiak:  http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160321/duquesnes-erin-waskowiak-overcomes-adversity-to-return-to-court

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/21/2016 11:20 am)

3/21/2016 12:43 pm  #6

So what is your realistic expectations for tonight?

I'd like to know what the feeling is over there from you guys who are closer to the program.

3/21/2016 12:54 pm  #7

jhart05-MILW wrote:

So what is your realistic expectations for tonight?

I'd like to know what the feeling is over there from you guys who are closer to the program.

Honestly, I have no real expectations for tonight. We are probably going to lose pretty badly. That's not an indictment on the Dukes, but rather an indication of just how good Uconn is. Win, lose, or lose badly, the future of this program is very bright. I look forward to watching it unfold.

3/21/2016 1:15 pm  #8

I expect Dan Burt's team to play the way it has been. Listen, I realize it's long odds, but they've made a believer out of me.

I hope it's the biggest upset in the history of the WNCAAT.

3/21/2016 1:55 pm  #9

I'm just hoping you guys don't get blown off the court by half time.

I don't know what more can be said about how good that UConn team is.

3/21/2016 2:49 pm  #10

They might run up the score, and based on some of Geno's comments I'm expecting it. But they won't run this team off the court. The Duquesne women play hard for a full 40 minutes. There's a lot of talent on this team, young women who have international experience and who have a lot of pride.

3/21/2016 3:28 pm  #11

3/21/2016 3:54 pm  #12

Geno Auriemma doesn't try to run up scores.  Breanna Stewart played 20 minutes against Robert Morris and averaged around 24 in the AAC tournament.  Their just that good.  They play all out in practice and in games.  I thought Robert Morris played a much better game in the 2nd half against the reserves of UCONN.  That's a good sign.

3/21/2016 5:05 pm  #13

Mainiac: I agree  Geno for the most part has 10 player rosters - He sees NO Need to recruit players (and I'm sure he could find a few more terrific ones should he chose and let them play very little - like everyone else he has 200 minutes to allocate - their games NEVER go in to overtime)  So when he goes to "the end of the bench" might not be the drop off most people think (although the top 3 might be among the top 5 in the country) - and you can't (or shouldn't) ask the reserves "Don't play the passing lanes and get those easy steals/lay ups and Don't knock down those threes"

As for "practice" one of the segments I saw during their game on Saturday  was them practicing against GUYS (not the U Conn men's team) don't know if this is an every day thing   but I'm sure the guys they practice against are fairly decent players - and not a bunch of "beer league guys"

3/22/2016 12:24 pm  #14

The incoming recruits for UCONN include the Gatorade player of the year from TN and two other recruits that aren't that highly rated.  One is near the bottom of the top 100 and the other is out of it.  So he recruits players by their attitude, coachability, and how he sees them fitting into the system as much as their raw talent.  It seems to have worked pretty well so far.

3/22/2016 3:13 pm  #15

Pat Summitt's Tennessee teams used men for practices/scrimmages. UConn is just too tough. Las Vegas thinks so, too. On Mike and Mike this morning, they were saying that their betting odds for UConn winning the national championship were 1:10 and for all of the other teams combined were 6:1. They also said that during this winning streak the average margin of victory was over 40 points. Plus they played at home for what was sort of a second "Senior Night" for some of the best players in their history. Our team deserved a better chance.

3/22/2016 6:10 pm  #16

On Burt's Saturday press conference (available on the Duquesne web site), he mentioned that he has a group of guys that regularly practice with his team. He mentioned "recruiting" them, altho' I'm not sure what goes into that. Must be a fairly common practice throughout women's ball.

3/22/2016 6:21 pm  #17

Mainiac wrote:

The incoming recruits for UCONN include the Gatorade player of the year from TN and two other recruits that aren't that highly rated.  One is near the bottom of the top 100 and the other is out of it.  So he recruits players by their attitude, coachability, and how he sees them fitting into the system as much as their raw talent.  It seems to have worked pretty well so far.

He doesn't need too many "stars". He has his elite players, and then fills in with team oriented types that fill certain roles. He's a great coach, that's for sure. The fact that he could go into Tennessee, and get the player of the year shows how far Tennessee has fallen with Pat Summit.

3/22/2016 6:29 pm  #18

scduke wrote:

Our team deserved a better chance.

Sorry, I disagree. Playing this game, and getting the exposure, is far more valuable than getting our doors blown off by Baylor with no one watching. We weren't going to be better than an 8 seed, which if we had won our first game in another bracket, would likely have meant Baylor, or ND, neither of which we have the horses to keep up with. No shame in getting smoked by UConn, as they smoke nearly everyone they play. The public now knows that Duquesne has a rising program, something that wouldn't have happened playing another opponent. Now it's up to Dan Burt to go out there and use this to his advantage on the recruiting trail.

3/23/2016 8:34 am  #19

Duquesne has a lot of competition trying to recruit from the PA area where as UCONN doesn't have the same problem.  They now have such national exposure they can go to states like TN, TX, CA, and MO and get the top players in those states.  If Duquesne can put together a string of NCAA appearances, building off what they accomplished this year, more players will be attracted to the program.  They just need one big time recruit to get it all going.  Rebecca Lobo was that recruit for UCONN.

Board footera