Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2016 9:55 pm  #26

Re: In other news: Pitt picks Stallings?

The Dome wrote:

Who would you bet on making a NCAA appearance first RMU or Dukes?  Just saying.

Oh definitely rmu, but that's not what kids are necessarily drawn to. Conference matters to them. Being a high major or almost high major (a-10) recruit vs. being a low to mid major recruit is a big deal to them. That's why kids like Ryan Luther jump at the chance to play for a team like Pitt as opposed to playing at Duquesne, where they probably fit better skill wise. There seems to be a similar jump between a Duquesne-level school and schools like rmu, if that makes sense

Last edited by Dukes2012 (3/27/2016 9:55 pm)

3/27/2016 9:58 pm  #27

The Dome wrote:

Who would you bet on making a NCAA appearance first RMU or Dukes? Just saying.

It's just a wee bit easier to win the NEC conference tournament to go dancing than the A-10

3/27/2016 10:21 pm  #28

I know what you think makes sense but in this day and age when kids know they can be spotted just about anywhere if they went to play further it's just as much about going to the NCAA's or playing in a system that shows their talent.
Jeter never puts on a Duquesne uniform.

Steel City remember it's a one bid league!!!!

Last edited by The Dome (3/27/2016 10:22 pm)

3/27/2016 10:48 pm  #29

The Dome wrote:

I know what you think makes sense but in this day and age when kids know they can be spotted just about anywhere if they went to play further it's just as much about going to the NCAA's or playing in a system that shows their talent.
Jeter never puts on a Duquesne uniform.

Steel City remember it's a one bid league!!!!

That's true to an extent but there's a huge difference between the A-10 and NEC. The NEC is a horrible league if we are being honest. A player like jeter would never go there. I don't think there's a single NBA player from that conference. I guarantee jeter would pick Duquesne if he were choosing between the two. That's not an endorsement of us or ferry. It has more to do with the fact that we play in one of the top 6 or 7 conferences in the country and play teams like VCU, Dayton, and Richmond.

3/27/2016 10:53 pm  #30

SteelCityVoice wrote:

The Dome wrote:

It's just a wee bit easier to win the NEC conference tournament to go dancing than the A-10

Not really. You don't have to win the A10 to go dancing. Depending on the year, anywhere from 3-6 A10 teams will dance. The NEC has never even advanced to the round of 32. You have to win the NEC Tournament to dance. That's why you never see St. Francis.

3/27/2016 11:57 pm  #31

I'm just pointing out that if you took Duquesne's roster this year and put it into the NEC then they have way more chance of running through the whole NEC tournament and going dancing then they did competing in the A-10.

Well aware that only one NEC team makes the dance but you also know your path to the big dance in that league....win your league tourney or else.  Regular season means absolutely nothing.  

3/28/2016 12:11 am  #32

SteelCityVoice wrote:

Regular season means absolutely nothing.  

Except to make sure you get in (bottom two don't right now) and earning home court advantage.  I get your point, however.

3/28/2016 5:56 am  #33

SteelCityVoice wrote:

I'm just pointing out that if you took Duquesne's roster this year and put it into the NEC then they have way more chance of running through the whole NEC tournament and going dancing then they did competing in the A-10.

Well aware that only one NEC team makes the dance but you also know your path to the big dance in that league....win your league tourney or else.  Regular season means absolutely nothing.  

Of course you wouldn't have Duquesne's roster if you played in the NEC.

3/28/2016 7:46 am  #34

The Dome wrote:

Robert Morris will make 6 NCAA tournaments before Duquesne even sniffs an NIT bid

3/28/2016 8:45 am  #35

Robert Morris pantsed us how many years in a row before we finally beat them this year? We still have some catching up to do. Let's not get cocky until we can beat them every year, trade body blows with Pitt (e.g., win at least once every 4 years and otherwise play them closer), win 20+ games against DI opponents, finish in the top 5-6 of the A-10 regularly, and not have to depend on blizzards to attract good media coverage.

3/28/2016 9:19 am  #36

ElDuque wrote:

Robert Morris pantsed us how many years in a row before we finally beat them this year? We still have some catching up to do. Let's not get cocky until we can beat them every year, trade body blows with Pitt (e.g., win at least once every 4 years and otherwise play them closer), win 20+ games against DI opponents, finish in the top 5-6 of the A-10 regularly, and not have to depend on blizzards to attract good media coverage.

Who's getting cocky? I'm just stating that we get better recruits based on our conference affiliation. That's indisputable fact. Cocky would be saying that our kids get coached better based on one win. I don't think anyone would say that we have been out-coaching RMU. Although it does appear that there seems to be a disconnect between toole and some of his players recently

3/28/2016 9:34 am  #37

I have a question based on not knowing that much, are the new recruits really any good? Who else recruited them? And finally last year I picked 16 in CLK poll. Any thoughts on the 2016-2017 season?

A diehard fan since 1961

3/28/2016 10:07 am  #38

Phildog wrote:

I have a question based on not knowing that much, are the new recruits really any good? Who else recruited them? And finally last year I picked 16 in CLK poll. Any thoughts on the 2016-2017 season?

Phil, I think the three that signed are the best that Ferry recruited here at DU.  Littleson is a 1st team All State in Michigan.  From what I can see he is a very good ball handler and has the ability to create his own shot as you can see in this video (love the step back off the dribble shades of Norm Nixon).

Lewis is a 1st team All State in Missouri good handle and good three point shooter.  Mike is a 6'7" SF appears to be another Powell athletically but a better defender, shooter and ball handler.   

I think these guys have the skill sets to do well in the A10.  We will see what happens when they put on a DU uniform.

3/28/2016 12:22 pm  #39

Dukes2012 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Who's getting cocky? I'm just stating that we get better recruits based on our conference affiliation. That's indisputable fact. Cocky would be saying that our kids get coached better based on one win. I don't think anyone would say that we have been out-coaching RMU. Although it does appear that there seems to be a disconnect between toole and some of his players recently

I wasn't singling anyone out -- a few folks were all leaning in the same direction here -- but to your point, that's not necessarily the truth. I think you can safely say that if we landed a kid who was being heavily by other A-10 schools or other major programs, then yes. But If we're beating NEC programs or Middle Georgia Conference teams for guys, then they're likely not appreciably better than what Bobby Mo has. Look at some of the teams that have licked us on our own court the past couple of years. NJIT is a good example. Most DU fans would turn their noses up at those kids, but dang it if they didn't bootkick us out of Palumbo.  

Board footera