Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2016 11:10 am  #1

Kenya Hunter

Think any teams will ever take a chance on Kenya to get a head coaching gig?  He's been a top assistant at Georgetown and Nebraska.  Apparenrly he took the Nebraska job because of the challenge.  Seems like he is a star on the rise from what I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9kDYaRCJc

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/28/2016 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Kenya Hunter

Good question. I hope he does get a shot.

3/28/2016 3:30 pm  #3

Do you think he had some influence in pointing Tarin Smith to Duquesne?  Another point guard with Duquesne ties?  Just wondering...

3/28/2016 4:29 pm  #4

Next DU head coach?

3/28/2016 7:04 pm  #5

Econ69 wrote:

Next DU head coach?

I hope not.

3/29/2016 11:04 am  #6

If Kenya Hunter went to LaSalle, would he be on your radar? Looking for guys with ties to the program usually doesn't work. Alabama wrecked their football program by insisting on Bama boys with ties to bear Bryant. When they finally stopped doing that, the program roared back to life. I don't care where a coach comes from, just pick one who can do the job. Nothing in Kenya Hunter's resume makes me think he's the man for this difficult job. I might feel differently if he was on the staff at a serious basketball school.

3/29/2016 12:18 pm  #7

He seems to be a good recruiter who has worked in successful programs, he was a good point guard while at Duquesne, and has followed a career path that will land him a job that will most likely be better than ending up back at Duquesne.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/29/2016 1:54 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

If Kenya Hunter went to LaSalle, would he be on your radar? Looking for guys with ties to the program usually doesn't work. Alabama wrecked their football program by insisting on Bama boys with ties to bear Bryant. When they finally stopped doing that, the program roared back to life. I don't care where a coach comes from, just pick one who can do the job. Nothing in Kenya Hunter's resume makes me think he's the man for this difficult job. I might feel differently if he was on the staff at a serious basketball school.

Keene State. 50-75
Virginia Tech. 99-89
St. Mary of the Plains College. 42-102
Pitt. 23-64
Pitt-Johnstown. 29-55
Dickinson College. 73-98
St. Bonaventure. 85-120
Duquesne. 62-49
Duquesne. 52-56
Duquesne. 247-138

Food for thought.

3/29/2016 2:12 pm  #9

Phildog wrote:

He seems to be a good recruiter who has worked in successful programs, he was a good point guard while at Duquesne, and has followed a career path that will land him a job that will most likely be better than ending up back at Duquesne.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=208292161&DB_OEM_ID=100

Gotta agree with you man, he may have already surpassed the level we are on in terms of quality of job for head coaching candidates. Seems like he is a bona fide star in terms of recruiting and player development based on his track record. I thought it was interesting in his bio it mentions in one of his first two years as a collegiate coach at any level, the guy is heavily credited with bringing in the number one recruiting class in the A10 at Duquesne in 1999. I graduated in 2014 so I have no idea what that class looked like if anyone would care to elaborate. 

3/29/2016 2:53 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Keene State. 50-75
Virginia Tech. 99-89
St. Mary of the Plains College. 42-102
Pitt. 23-64
Pitt-Johnstown. 29-55
Dickinson College. 73-98
St. Bonaventure. 85-120
Duquesne. 62-49
Duquesne. 52-56
Duquesne. 247-138

Food for thought.

AM I too stupid to understand this post?  What do these numbers represent?  Also, Duq81, what do you consider a serious basketball school?  He was at Duquesne, NC STate, Xavier, Georgetown, and now Nebraska.  Seems like a pretty solid lineup of schools to me.  I'm in agreement that bringing in an alumni is not always the right move, but when the alum has some serious talent, then I am okay with it.  

Last edited by Simms (3/29/2016 2:55 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/29/2016 3:14 pm  #11

Sorry Simms, you are NOT stupid. I thought this would be more intuitive. These are the alma maters of the last 10 men's basketball coaches at Duquesne University, along with their coaching records here. So the list starts with Ferry and goes down to John "Red" Manning. Duq81 made the comment about looking for guys with ties to your program. I didn't do the math, but the three DU grads clearly have the upper hand over graduates of other schools. The two guys with Pitt ties, well, they didn't do so good. Aside from Everhart (VT) and Satalin (SBU), none of the alma maters are basketball factories.

3/29/2016 3:21 pm  #12

Duques102 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=208292161&DB_OEM_ID=100

Gotta agree with you man, he may have already surpassed the level we are on in terms of quality of job for head coaching candidates. Seems like he is a bona fide star in terms of recruiting and player development based on his track record. I thought it was interesting in his bio it mentions in one of his first two years as a collegiate coach at any level, the guy is heavily credited with bringing in the number one recruiting class in the A10 at Duquesne in 1999. I graduated in 2014 so I have no idea what that class looked like if anyone would care to elaborate. 

From an old ESPN article: The 1999 recruiting class ranked by Basketball News as the best in the Atlantic 10. Of course, that was before marquee transfer Ron Anderson (North Carolina State) switched his commitment to James Madison, and fellow transfers Jamal Hunter (Loyola College) and Simon Ogunlesi (Villanova) were implicated in a check and credit card scam. Both were suspended over the summer and eventually reinstated. The 1999 class was also to have included high-scoring Philadelphia guard Kevin Forney, who did not qualify initially. 6-10 freshman Chris Clark (Cheshire Academy, Conn./Toronto, Can.),  6-0 freshman point guard Devin Montgomery (Bishop Alemany HS/Mission Hills, Calif.), 6-5 freshman Brad Midgely (20.1 ppg, Canevin HS/Pittsburgh), and 6-8 freshman Jack May (Ruben S. Ayala HS/Chino, Calif.) did matriculate.

3/29/2016 4:00 pm  #13

PS, since Rice was fired, Duquesne is 202 games under .500.

3/29/2016 7:25 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Sorry Simms, you are NOT stupid. I thought this would be more intuitive. These are the alma maters of the last 10 men's basketball coaches at Duquesne University, along with their coaching records here. So the list starts with Ferry and goes down to John "Red" Manning. Duq81 made the comment about looking for guys with ties to your program. I didn't do the math, but the three DU grads clearly have the upper hand over graduates of other schools. The two guys with Pitt ties, well, they didn't do so good. Aside from Everhart (VT) and Satalin (SBU), none of the alma maters are basketball factories.

Those three Duquesne guys went to a basketball school. Red Manning played, and coached under Dudey Moore. Cinicola, and Rice came up under Manning. Big difference. If Hunter was a head coach, even at a low major, and was winning, I'd have a different opinion.

When Manning stepped down, Al Bailey was the man for the job, but I understand why Cinicola got it. It's a shame Duquesne was so strapped for money back in the glory days. Had they been able to pay, Chick Davies would likely have coached into the late 60s. No way of knowing who would have been waiting in the wings by then though. Davies should be in the Hall Of Fame.

Board footera