Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2016 4:59 am  #1

"Nova Your 2016 NCAA Champs

And then there's the Dukes. This was OK by me. I still relish Scottie Reynolds going coast-to-coast against @#$(*it and launching the winning shot over Dejuan Blair. I've always been a 'Nova fan back to the Rollie days. Maybe, someday, that'll be us!!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/05/2016 6:03 am  #2

Re: "Nova Your 2016 NCAA Champs

Can't stand them, going back to the Nelson Twins days, and all of their whining about the Dukes being dirty. Never forget their double cross that may have prevented us from being in the BE from day one. I was rooting for Pitt in that game, so that ought to tell you how I feel about Nova, and their arrogant fans.

4/05/2016 8:39 am  #3

I've heard the story about Villanova's arrogant fans before.  When my daughter was looking at colleges, I even experienced a bit of that arrogance by the student conducting the tour of Villanova to prospective high school students and their parents.  When I was a student at Duquesne in the late 1960s and 1970, playing Nova was a big rivalry  game; and I hated them and the other Philly schools.

In spite of that I took a liking to the Wildcats team this season. I was impressed with their 3-point shooting and swarming defense during the NCAA tournament games leading to the championship.  I also rooted for them because the were a Catholic school.  Of the 78 NCAA men's basketball championships, Catholic universities have won NCAA championship nine (11.5%) times:

1947 Holy Cross
1954 LaSalle
1955 San Fransisco
1956 San Fransisco
1963 Loyola of Chicago
1977 Marquette (Ugliest uniforms ever)
1984 Georgetown
1985 Villanova
2016 Villanova

Obviously it's not easy for Catholic colleges to win the championship compared to the big secular colleges, with perhaps the exception of Notre Dame, who have the resources and facilities to assemble championship caliber teams.  Congratulations to Villanova for a tremendous win in one of the most exciting NCAA championship games ever played.  I also enjoyed their win over NC, an ACC school, particularly because most of the basketball experts on the TV broadcast picked NC to win.

Text in italics corrects my initial post.  I apologize for my sloppy initial research on the number of Catholic colleges who won NCAA championships.

Last edited by godukes1970 (4/05/2016 4:11 pm)

4/05/2016 8:43 am  #4

Not a Villanova fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it was kind of refreshing to see someone else win a national title besides the usually powerhouses

4/05/2016 9:36 am  #5

godukes1970 wrote:

I've heard the story about Villanova's arrogant fans before.  When my daughter was looking at colleges, I even experienced a bit of that arrogance by the student conducting the tour of Villanova to prospective high school students and their parents.  When I was a student at Duquesne in the late 1960s and 1970, playing Nova was a big rivalry  game; and I hated them and the other Philly schools.

In spite of that I took a liking to the Wildcats team this season. I was impressed with their 3-point shooting and swarming defense during the NCAA tournament games leading to the championship.  I also rooted for them because the were a Catholic school.  Catholic universities have won the NCAA championship only three times: twice by Nova and once by La Salle.  Obviously it's not easy for Catholic colleges to win the championship compared to the big secular colleges, with perhaps the exception of Notre Dame, who have the resources and facilities to assemble championship caliber teams.  Congratulations to Villanova for a tremendous win in one of the most exciting NCAA championship games ever played.  I also enjoyed their win over NC, an ACC school, particularly because most of the basketball experts on the TV broadcast picked NC to win.

There have been more Catholic champions than that. Loyola, Georgetown, and Marquette.

4/05/2016 9:58 am  #6

I'm not begrudging Villanova anything; they've won two national championships in a period in which we haven't even been to the Dance. Don't like 'em, don't hate 'em, don't really care about 'em.

But Rollie is a tool. Going back to the Bruce Atkins-John "Al Capone" Pinone fisticuffs, but even before that. After 'nova had beaten the Dukes at the old Civic Arena once, some of the 'boys gave Rollie's team some polite acknowledgement as the visitors left the floor. Rollie pointed at the scoreboard, using a finger normally reserved for gestures other than pointing.

4/05/2016 11:42 am  #7

Holy Cross won the NCAA's sometime in the 40's.

4/05/2016 11:46 am  #8

LOL! OK I withdraw my kudos for Nova. I should have remembered the Nelson days. I was at those games!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

4/05/2016 12:04 pm  #9

North Carolina had some problems with academic fraud over the years. Plus they are one of those state supported major Div. I football schools and in the ACC.  
Nice to see a Catholic  school who is not a major Div 1 football school and has more academic integrity win. 

4/05/2016 4:09 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

In spite of that I took a liking to the Wildcats team this season. I was impressed with their 3-point shooting and swarming defense during the NCAA tournament games leading to the championship.  I also rooted for them because the were a Catholic school.  Catholic universities have won the NCAA championship only three times: twice by Nova and once by La Salle.  Obviously it's not easy for Catholic colleges to win the championship compared to the big secular colleges, with perhaps the exception of Notre Dame, who have the resources and facilities to assemble championship caliber teams.  Congratulations to Villanova for a tremendous win in one of the most exciting NCAA championship games ever played.  I also enjoyed their win over NC, an ACC school, particularly because most of the basketball experts on the TV broadcast picked NC to win.

There have been more Catholic champions than that. Loyola, Georgetown, and Marquette.

Thanks for bringing my mistake to my attention.  I corrected my original post with what I believe is the complete listing of Catholic colleges who won NCAA men's basketball championships. 

4/05/2016 6:13 pm  #11

USED to be get nauseous with Dickie V raving about his "Italian Paisans" Rollie Mass (Villanova) and Louie Carnesecca (St Johns) after some of their 60-57 "classics" - Where you said to yourself "If Ball State and Central Michigan did the SAME thing - you'd be thinking BARF CITY -  One of the reasons I dislike Dickie V to this day.

Board footera