Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2016 1:44 pm  #1

2016-2017 Recruits

I just got through reading up on the incoming recruits for next season.  I think we've got a great group of young ladies to look forward to.  The prospects sites I looked at all have Nina Aho, Halle Bovell, and Anie-Pier Samson ranked highly.  Combined with last years incoming class the Lady Dukes should have a very positive season to look forward to.  The only question I have is Coach Burt refers to Anie-Pier Samson as being 6'2"  Other sites have her listed as 6'.   We could use the extra 2" on the wing.

4/12/2016 5:29 pm  #2

Re: 2016-2017 Recruits

In addition there is the young lady who was a transfer from Robert Morris (Judith Sole) game programs listed her as 6'3" - she will be a junior - as well as Paige Cannon who was injured and missed most of the season.  Paige did play two games before her injury.

4/13/2016 12:23 pm  #3

It looks like Sole will be an immediate help this season.  Was Cannon red shirted last season?

4/13/2016 3:36 pm  #4

Mainiac wrote:

It looks like Sole will be an immediate help this season.  Was Cannon red shirted last season?

In a conversation I had with Coach Burt at the A-10 women's tournament he had said that based on the Dukes' practices throughout the past season he thought that 6' 3" Judith Sole was the best big on the Dukes' roster.  Conceivably the Dukes could have three 6' 3" players on the court at the same time: senior, Szamosi; sophomore, Lass; and junior, Sole.

As far as I know, Page Cannon was a medical red-shirt for this past season.  Toward the end of the season she had to undergo a surgical procedure to address her injury which was not corrected by earlier treatment.  Coach Burt said that that the doctors believed that she should be ready to play in the fall.     

4/13/2016 6:47 pm  #5

If Sole is better than Lass, the Dukes will be formidable again.  That is great to hear. 

I'm really interested in seeing what Paige Cannon will do when healthy.

4/14/2016 4:02 am  #6

Looked up how Judith Sole performed at Robert Morris in her sophomore year - she averaged 6.0 PPG and 5.6 RPG in about 15 minutes per game

BUT AGAINST DUQUESNE SHE HAD A CAREER GAME (MAKE THAT A WILT CHAMBERLAIN/BILL RUSSEL TYPE GAME) -  23 points 17 rebounds in 29 minutes.

4/14/2016 5:23 am  #7

Lass was one of the top newcomers in the A10. I think she has tremendous upside. It's natural to think that losing Robinson and Workman will mean a step back this year, but I suspect the Dukes will challenge for the A10 title again.

4/14/2016 10:43 am  #8

SkepticAl wrote:

Looked up how Judith Sole performed at Robert Morris in her sophomore year - she averaged 6.0 PPG and 5.6 RPG in about 15 minutes per game

BUT AGAINST DUQUESNE SHE HAD A CAREER GAME (MAKE THAT A WILT CHAMBERLAIN/BILL RUSSEL TYPE GAME) -  23 points 17 rebounds in 29 minutes.

It was Sole's performance against the Dukes that impressed Dan Burt.  One of the reasons that Sole decided to transfer from Robert Morris was that as good as she was her jerk-wad coach, Sal Buscaglia, chose to give her limited playing time.  I think the year off from varsity play because of the NCAA transfer rule gave her time to adjust to the Duquesne coaching staff and work on her weaknesses.  My observation is that nearly all of the players under Coach Burt and his staff have noticeably improved each year.  I believe that she is a very welcomed addition to the Dukes' front court and will be embraced by the Duquesne fans.    

4/14/2016 4:26 pm  #9

Thanks everyone for all the commentary about the upcoming season. I'll be checking in every so often to see how things are going...

Judith Sole is a 6-3 center. Passes like Sabonis. Can score around the hoop and shoot the 3 when left open. She will have an immediate impact on our team. Paige will be back to full strength this summer. Paige will be able to play both the 3 and 4 positions. 

The 2016, incoming class:
Anie Pier Samson is a 6-2 guard. Closer to 6-3, than 6-1. Shoots the ball well. College build now. 
Nina Aho is a 5-10 combo guard. Plays point on her national team. FIBA named her the best u18, 3x3 player in the world. 
Halle Bovell is a 5-11 wing player. She is in the final 15 for 12 spots on the u18 Canadian Junior National Team. 
and......

4/14/2016 7:38 pm  #10

Hey coach. If you run into any good men players when you're across the pond could you give Coach Ferry a call.

4/15/2016 5:39 am  #11

Rick, Rick, Rick. You crack me up! WEB says he's already in pursuit of every available player with a year of eligibility in the country. Hot pursuit in some cases.

Back to the topic, this is shaping up as one of the deepest Duquesne teams ever. Talent level top to bottom is very high.

4/15/2016 2:42 pm  #12

The preseason pole has Duquesne at #27.  I think that's low.  Next years team should be in the 21-22 range by the time the season is over.  We'll have quality players at every position.  GW is losing it's head coach.  The talk is Jen Rizzotti, the Hartford coach, could be replacing him.  It will probably take her, or whoever does take over, a year or two to put their stamp on the team.     

4/15/2016 3:27 pm  #13

Mainiac wrote:

The preseason pole has Duquesne at #27.  I think that's low.  Next years team should be in the 21-22 range by the time the season is over.  We'll have quality players at every position.  GW is losing it's head coach.  The talk is Jen Rizzotti, the Hartford coach, could be replacing him.  It will probably take her, or whoever does take over, a year or two to put their stamp on the team.     

To which poll are you referring as the pre-season poll?  I've not seen one yet for the 2016-2017 season.

The USA Today/Women's Coaches Poll (final for the 2015-1016 season, including the results of the NCAA tournament) has the Dukes ranked at #27: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-women/polls/coaches-poll/

4/16/2016 1:19 pm  #14

Mea Culpa!  That post season pole was what I was commenting on.  Sorry about the confusion.  I haven't seen a preseason pole either.

4/16/2016 2:28 pm  #15

Mainiac wrote:

Mea Culpa!  That post season pole was what I was commenting on.  Sorry about the confusion.  I haven't seen a preseason pole either.

No need to apologize.  I note that neither the P-G nor the Tribune-Review decided to print the final women's basketball poll which included two local local colleges, the Dukes at #27 and WVU at #25.

I am pleased that there are more posts on this forum about the women's basketball team, and women's college basketball in general.  I would venture to say that the women's team and the football team, are now serving as the co-flagships of Duquesne athletics.   I believe that the success of this past season for these two programs will continue to grow in 2016-2017 season.  This doesn't mean that the the women's cross country, soccer & volleyball teams should not be recognized for their recent successes, but clearly basketball and football are the college sports which get the majority of media coverage.  Unfortunately the men's basketball program which has the largest portion of the athletic department's budget has lagged behind for longer than I care to acknowledge.

4/16/2016 3:20 pm  #16

It's easy to understand why WBB has an increasing following.  The success of the team lead by the outstanding recruiting year to year and the way coach Burt pushes the ladies to be the best they can be.  It's fun BB to watch.  I'm also impressed with the international players that the coaching staff recruits.  There are a couple of other schools that also recruit internationally with some success.  The University of South Florida and Maine.  There's a large pool of good players  in Canada and Europe and we seem to be getting the best of the best.

4/16/2016 11:31 pm  #17

Mainiac wrote:

Just so you know, it's poll, not pole. A pole is like the North Pole, or a pole that sticks out of the ground. A poll counts the votes of a certain group in relation to a particular subject.

4/17/2016 1:33 pm  #18

Thanks!  I appreciate the constructive criticism.  I'll try and do better.

Board footera