Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2016 3:57 pm  #1

Anything to read into?

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/756884449552457728

Came across this on Duquesne Basketball twitter page. I know why Steele isn't there. Where is Marq'well?

7/28/2016 10:22 am  #2

Re: Anything to read into?

It could be nothing more than he wasn't at the workout on that particular day, but in reality, I don't see "Q" getting a lot of minutes with this team for a few reasons.  I see his minutes being cut way back with the new additions to the team capable of playing the same position.  I'm hoping these guys offer a better option. 

We need guys playing the "3" to be more reliable 3-point shooters, able to defend, be aggressive on the boards, and able to keep the flow of the offense intact.  From what I saw last season his shot flattens out from beyond the arc, often leaving it short.  He didn't look comfortable from that distance.  His range is probably somewhat limited to shorter jump shots, or long 2's which are not desirable in today's game, unless you are shooting a  high percentage.  He gets lost on defense, and did not impress as a rebounder, or with any sort of aggressive play.  On the other hand the guy obviously has some natural ability, but would have to transform himself and work very hard to be a factor this season in my opinion.

7/28/2016 11:04 am  #3

Duques102 wrote:

Came across this on Duquesne Basketball twitter page. I know why Steele isn't there. Where is Marq'well?

Looks like someone has a 12 pack.

7/28/2016 11:48 am  #4

Who needs a 12 pack, when you pack a keg, like me?

7/28/2016 12:32 pm  #5

WashPaRick wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Yeah Isiaha Mike looks like he is in the best shape of anyone on the team. I fully expect him to have a serious impact right now. His game and fitness is miles ahead of most guys we get coming in as freshman. Never ended up attending any summer league sessions but he got rave reviews and I liked that It wasn't stat lines for him of just points or just rebounds it seemed like he passed scored and defended well from his numbers. We need an all around game changer like this kid and I think he could help, again, right away.

Washpa, you were there, what did you see?

7/28/2016 3:17 pm  #6

Jackson's future is more as a long 2 guard. He rebounds well for a 2 & has shown signs of being a well rounded scorer as well as a slightly above average 3-point threat. He also appears to be  willing as a defender.

He desperately needs to work on his handle & get real minutes to grow. I think getting DNP/CD for 9 of the first 12 games last season after having sat out a year really exacerbated the "rust factor". He has real upside with 3 years of remaining eligibility.

If the program is going in the right direction he will be a high quality 6th man as a junior & likely starter as a senior. However, I bet he gets buried on the bench this year. There is a serious glut of guys competing for minutes as 2/3.Somebody is going to be the odd man out.

Maybe a redshirt year for Littleson fixes this. Maybe there will be a lot of small ball lineups with 3 guards.

Options abound!

7/28/2016 8:39 pm  #7

Duques102 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Yeah Isiaha Mike looks like he is in the best shape of anyone on the team. I fully expect him to have a serious impact right now. His game and fitness is miles ahead of most guys we get coming in as freshman. Never ended up attending any summer league sessions but he got rave reviews and I liked that It wasn't stat lines for him of just points or just rebounds it seemed like he passed scored and defended well from his numbers. We need an all around game changer like this kid and I think he could help, again, right away.

I saw him once and was impressed. Really athletic. Can handle the ball. Seems to have good hands. Can take it to the hole and can pull up and hit a 15 footer with a hand in his face, Rebounded well. Has 3 point range. I didn't pay much attention on the defensive side. I would say he's a pure SF. If I didn't know I would never guess he is a freshman. Wish I would've caught his 40 plus game.

7/30/2016 11:35 am  #8

WashPaRick wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

I saw him once and was impressed. Really athletic. Can handle the ball. Seems to have good hands. Can take it to the hole and can pull up and hit a 15 footer with a hand in his face, Rebounded well. Has 3 point range. I didn't pay much attention on the defensive side. I would say he's a pure SF. If I didn't know I would never guess he is a freshman. Wish I would've caught his 40 plus game.

I also saw him play once and totally agree with WashPa. This kid has to start at some point as a freshman. The issue that continues to worry me though is coaching. In my mind the book is still open on whether or not Ferry is more than just an average game prep and game day coach. Let's see how it plays out this year.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera