Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2016 10:57 am  #1

Wow. Just, wow.

7/21/2016 12:24 pm  #2

Re: Wow. Just, wow.

That was a disturbing read.  And I thought that the Everhart/Amodio relationship was dysfunctional.

7/21/2016 1:06 pm  #3

=18px"They could transfer, which would mean leaving their school of choice and losing a year of playing eligibility per NCAA rules."

Guys, I remember specifically bringing up this question a couple months ago and people telling me you dont lose a year of eligibility, you use a red shirt year? What is the actual rule on this. This was my original understanding but many on this board said you don't lose a year of eligibility. Is it you can use a redshirt year if you have one?

7/21/2016 2:02 pm  #4

Duques102 wrote:

=18px"They could transfer, which would mean leaving their school of choice and losing a year of playing eligibility per NCAA rules."

Guys, I remember specifically bringing up this question a couple months ago and people telling me you dont lose a year of eligibility, you use a red shirt year? What is the actual rule on this. This was my original understanding but many on this board said you don't lose a year of eligibility. Is it you can use a redshirt year if you have one?

The transfer athlete does not lose a year of eligibility. The player must sit out a year, unless an exception is requested and granted. The sit-out year is not really a redshirt, It's just a year in which the transfer player can work out with the team, but can't suit up and play.

The sit-out year is one of the causes of  there being so many players who graduate academically and still have a year of eligibility. Once graduated, there is no requirement to sit a year out if the player transfers to another school

7/21/2016 2:18 pm  #5

Did this rule change recently, why does a major news publication not have a correct understanding either?

Last edited by Duques102 (7/21/2016 2:19 pm)

7/21/2016 2:26 pm  #6

Hard to believe the guy who wrote it is a sportswriter. 

7/21/2016 4:06 pm  #7

applecorps wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

The transfer athlete does not lose a year of eligibility. The player must sit out a year, unless an exception is requested and granted. The sit-out year is not really a redshirt, It's just a year in which the transfer player can work out with the team, but can't suit up and play.

The sit-out year is one of the causes of  there being so many players who graduate academically and still have a year of eligibility. Once graduated, there is no requirement to sit a year out if the player transfers to another school

My understanding (I am too lazy to look it up) is that an athlete has 5 years to use his 4 years of eligibility.  So if for example, if a player sits out his freshman year and then transfers transfers after his junior year (using only two years eligibility and not graduating) he would have to sit out one year at the new school (his senior year) and then only have one year of eligibility.  Then again if I really wanted to be sure I would check the NCAA website.

7/21/2016 4:09 pm  #8

On another note, Orlando Antigua (who many wanted to be hired here at DU) is in trouble with the NCAA at South Florida for academic fraud, and just read where he resigned.  

Last edited by CLK (7/21/2016 4:09 pm)

7/21/2016 6:56 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

On another note, Orlando Antigua (who many wanted to be hired here at DU) is in trouble with the NCAA at South Florida for academic fraud, and just read where he resigned.  

Once a Panther, always a Panther!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

7/21/2016 7:29 pm  #10

KenOTR73 wrote:

CLK wrote:

That's why he had to get away from Jamie Dixon. Jamie was actually the rare coach who tried to run a clean program (as clean as you can be in the college sports cesspool anyway). He's the highest quality person I can think of in Pitt athletics in my lifetime. When I think of all the snakes associated with the various regional programs over the years, it makes my skin crawl. Even we aren't immune here (BC anyone?). Of course, the biggest snake of all, turned out to be the person who had put himself on the highest pedestal. Any guesses who that might be? I'll give you a hint, he turned his back while young boys had their lives ruined.

7/21/2016 7:47 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

CLK wrote:

That's why he had to get away from Jamie Dixon. Jamie was actually the rare coach who tried to run a clean program (as clean as you can be in the college sports cesspool anyway). He's the highest quality person I can think of in Pitt athletics in my lifetime. When I think of all the snakes associated with the various regional programs over the years, it makes my skin crawl. Even we aren't immune here (BC anyone?). Of course, the biggest snake of all, turned out to be the person who had put himself on the highest pedestal. Any guesses who that might be? I'll give you a hint, he turned his back while young boys had their lives ruined.

I think Buzz Ridl was pretty decent but that was another era. Grgurich and Dr. Roy, nope.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

7/21/2016 9:00 pm  #12

KenOTR73 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

I think Buzz Ridl was pretty decent but that was another era. Grgurich and Dr. Roy, nope.

Buzz looked honest, like someone's grandpa, but John Wooden looked honest too, and we know better now.
Grg, Roy, Evans, Willard, naw. Majors and Sherrill? LOL! Of course I have to list Mike Rice. If the ones that followed Rice were cheating, they sure did a poor job of it. Of course none of the guys I listed allowed a pedophile to have access to their programs.

7/22/2016 4:57 am  #13

CLK wrote:

My understanding (I am too lazy to look it up) is that an athlete has 5 years to use his 4 years of eligibility.  So if for example, if a player sits out his freshman year and then transfers transfers after his junior year (using only two years eligibility and not graduating) he would have to sit out one year at the new school (his senior year) and then only have one year of eligibility.  Then again if I really wanted to be sure I would check the NCAA website.

This is exactly correct unless the NCAA grants an exception. 

The one caveat - if a student-athlete graduates but his undergraduate school does not have a program for the graduate degree he/she will be studying, they are free to go to any school of their choosing that has the graduate program they are looking for.  It's why there's such a high rate of graduate (5th year) transfers...those individuals are essentially free agents as they can pretty much pick their school given the wealth of differences in graduate degrees offered throughout the country.

7/22/2016 8:11 am  #14

duq81, you're clearly talking about JoePa.

7/22/2016 9:43 am  #15

Yeah we get it. I don't think anyone would argue thats the lowest of the low right there.

Last edited by Duques102 (7/22/2016 9:43 am)

7/22/2016 11:07 am  #16

ElDuque wrote:

duq81, you're clearly talking about JoePa.

Absolutely! I used to hold the guy in high regard for doing things "the right way", but it turns out that he placed winning, and the reputation of his program above the safety of people too young to protect themselves. As an adult, I understand how vulnerable kids are, and what a blessing it was to be surrounded by adults who had my best interests at heart.
John Wooden is another one, who while his sins were nowhere near the level of Joepa's, was still far more sleazy than what we were long led to believe.

8/01/2016 12:47 pm  #17

I must have missed the John Wooden stuff. Can anyone fill me in on his sins?

8/01/2016 1:04 pm  #18

I don't think this is the proper place to take those cheap shots, especially when you are making assumptions that have never been proven.  I'm sure you are old enough to realize that people will say a lot of things that aren't true when a couple of million dollars is on the table for them.  No matter what Sandusky did or didn't do; there are only allegations, no proof that Joe had any knowledge of his activities, beyond that fact that he was working for the Second Mile Charity which provided him access to young boys.  The latest claim is ludicrous on so many levels, but what you need to know is that this came to light in hearing in which an insurance company is trying to duck its obligation to pay Penn State for its share of the settlements, covered by the liability insurance policy that the company wrote, and was in effect at the time of the settlement payments, as well as during the alleged incidents.  Campers were also not given access to shower in the football building, so the 14-year old would have had to invite Sandusky to his dorm room to shower with him.  I think his memory was a little cloudy on the details.

8/02/2016 8:15 am  #19

RE: Levon's comments - I certainly am disappointed in Joe Paterno based on the allegations because whether you like him or not he certainly had the right attitude at least on the face of it re: college football, academics and the university.

Of course there is no excuse for what happened to these kids.  I try to think back on what the times were like when some of this started to come to light, supposedly in the 70's.  It doesn't surprise me that someone like Paterno may have viewed it within a much different mindset than there is today when people seem more aware of issues like this and speak more openly about it than they may have back then.  That's no excuse for ignoring something obvious, if he did, but I also wonder how obvious some of this would have been to many at that time. 

I don't know if I'm explaining this well and am certainly not trying to make excuses for what was and is a  horrible situation.  Just trying to understand how someone who seemed at least to have a much higher view of life, education and sports  compared to other coaches and universities would have been so ignorant as to let this just pass by without comment.  That's what makes it seem difficult to fully believe and comprehend. 

8/02/2016 11:14 am  #20

Last to posts are right on.  Put the blame where it belongs, on Jerry Sandusky who was overwhelmed by a terrible compulsion. 

Board footera