Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2016 3:53 pm  #1

9/06/2016 5:53 pm  #2

Re: MBB schedule

Is Duquesne getting paid to go to Lexington in that Bluegrass Tournament?

A diehard fan since 1961

9/06/2016 6:49 pm  #3

With three home games.

9/07/2016 6:13 am  #4

They need to go 10-3 against that ooc schedule. If they go 11-2, there should be no complaints on this board.

9/07/2016 12:14 pm  #5

I don't complain about wins. I like wins.

Wins are good.

A lot of wins is better.

I don't expect a win at Kentucky, but I'd love to see a win against Oakland. Send them home cryin' in their buttermilk.

9/07/2016 1:40 pm  #6

Before I predict records I usually determine who I think is a  definite loss. For me, I see Kentucky as the only definite. I would put Pitt in the probable loss category (that sounds negative but I've literally NEVER seen us beat them). I look at Penn State at about a 50/50 proposition. I see every other game as a should win, although I do expect Cleveland state to be a tough test because they always have a solid program.

so for me I would agree we should at least be 10-3 that gives you Kentucky, Pitt, and then either penn state or Cleveland state. I would be ok with that. I would love for 11-2 with 2/3 between psu, Pitt, and Cleveland state. Anything less than 10-3 would be disappointing.....again

9/07/2016 4:16 pm  #7

You guys really don't think we have a shot against UK? Come on...we have some players!

Roll Dukes Roll

9/07/2016 4:32 pm  #8

Duques102 wrote:

Before I predict records I usually determine who I think is a definite loss. For me, I see Kentucky as the only definite. I would put Pitt in the probable loss category (that sounds negative but I've literally NEVER seen us beat them). I look at Penn State at about a 50/50 proposition. I see every other game as a should win, although I do expect Cleveland state to be a tough test because they always have a solid program.

so for me I would agree we should at least be 10-3 that gives you Kentucky, Pitt, and then either penn state or Cleveland state. I would be ok with that. I would love for 11-2 with 2/3 between psu, Pitt, and Cleveland state. Anything less than 10-3 would be disappointing.....again

Agree! 9-4 is the absolute worst record we can have, and still end up having an acceptable season. That would require a .500 record in league play. 18-13 overall is my floor. Can't do worse than that. Provided they don't go out in the first round of the A10 tournament, I can live with that for now. That would be a "Ron-like" record of at least 19 wins, and that would be ok, FOR NOW! Can't stay in that neighborhood though. 19 wins this year, 22 next year. Now I'm smiling. Those are reasonable expectations.

9/07/2016 5:21 pm  #9

currentstudent wrote:

You guys really don't think we have a shot against UK? Come on...we have some players!

By JF's rationale, Kentucky should struggle, since every year they have a "young" team. Should be an easy W, right?

9/07/2016 8:53 pm  #10

applecorps wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

By JF's rationale, Kentucky should struggle, since every year they have a "young" team. Should be an easy W, right?

Low blow, don't you think?

9/07/2016 9:46 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

No, not a low blow. It was obviously a joke. At least I thought it was obvious.

9/08/2016 12:35 am  #12

applecorps wrote:

duq81 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

No, not a low blow. It was obviously a joke. At least I thought it was obvious.

Seemed like a shot at our coach to me. He gets beaten up enough on this board. I was hoping we could at least wait until the first bad loss to start in on him this year.

9/08/2016 5:28 am  #13

He's made $3M coaching this team and the results haven't been good.

I don't think anything's been said that doesn't fall into the category of "fair comment and criticism." I know some posters have a thin skin for anything that doesn't fall into the category of idol worship, but they're paying good money for access and listen to his spin and want to believe him. Me? I read what he says and the BS meter in my brain starts flashing. Because I don't see the correlation between the words and the reality.

Want to shut people up? Then win. I'll be happy to jump on the bandwagon once the wheels are fixed.

9/08/2016 8:49 am  #14

Yeah not a low blow at all. Last year I got everyone and their mother to come to the Pitt game and we looked like a high school JV team. I had to sit through loses like the Dayton one where the Flyers were colder than the arctic circle but we still couldn't beat them.

He's getting paid so much money for a 16th, 10th, 11th, and 10th placed position in our conference. 

Any fan that take a shot at his rhetoric has every right to do so.

I hope to god he find whatever he needs to find and he becomes the best coach in the world...but as of right now...he is still a dud. 

Roll Dukes Roll

9/08/2016 3:50 pm  #15

currentstudent wrote:

Yeah not a low blow at all. Last year I got everyone and their mother to come to the Pitt game and we looked like a high school JV team. I had to sit through loses like the Dayton one where the Flyers were colder than the arctic circle but we still couldn't beat them.

He's getting paid so much money for a 16th, 10th, 11th, and 10th placed position in our conference. 

Any fan that take a shot at his rhetoric has every right to do so.

I hope to god he find whatever he needs to find and he becomes the best coach in the world...but as of right now...he is still a dud. 

Don't forget we were winning the Dayton game and should have won. That was one of the 4 or 5 conference games we lost in the last 2 or 3 minutes of the game, even when everything was going in the direction of us pulling out the win. Reflection of coaching.

To say he is a dud is wrong in my opinion and a little bit ignorant. No, he has not turned this program around the way he opined about and we hoped, but there has essentially been marginal improvement year to year in regards to the record and recruiting has been solid since he got here. He deserves criticism, but he's not a total failure.

No doubt at this point it's put up or shut up time. He's been just good enough to stay around up till now, but the honeymoon period has ended. Five years gives you enough time to get your guys, implement your program, learn the league, endear yourself to the fan base (something I think he's done a terrible job of), and start WINNING GAMES.

And for anyone who wants to keep Complaining about losing guys year over year, please step outside the bubble and realize that Kentucky is just about the only place that doesn't happen (and it still does, Kyle wilcher or however it's spelled). Yes it happens to the low majors, mid majors, and blue bloods. Often times there is more turnover in other places than we experience. That is not a reflection of the coach, winning games and coaching the group you have is.

9/08/2016 5:42 pm  #16

Kentucky has plenty of turnover, but it isn't generally transfers. They get the top talent, then their players leave early for the NBA. That was my reference to them always having a young team. .  

9/08/2016 8:12 pm  #17

Actually what I complain about (I don't b*tch, so make a note of that) is that it's his top recruits that form the conga line out the door and down Forbes Avenue. What goes on in other programs, I don't care about. With the exception of Gill none of our outbound transfers are trading up. There are plenty of programs that don't have this problem. If our game plan is to attract under recruited talent and develop it, we're only winning half the battle. It's why the improvement has only been marginal to date.

Now, I'm quite done being grumpy. I didn't start this thread this way, by the way.

9/09/2016 12:39 am  #18

I'm not calling anybody out by the way, but el duque, please be specific as to who you are referring to in terms of transfers not being prevelant.

And please give me the names of the "Congo line" and "top recruits". I wasn't aware anyone of that caliber coming in....tysean Powell or lg gill? Guys who had their best offer being Duquesne??? The guy who got to live out his dream of playing for a national power who will finally get to experience the tourney berth he dreamed of as a kid after working hard for us for three years or the jerk who found a better personal situation for himself who was never committed to this team in the first place? Please give more detail.

Last edited by Duques102 (9/09/2016 12:45 am)

9/09/2016 8:06 am  #19

Yeah I am also okay with every single person that has left this program since Ive been here. The best was Powell...who again tried to pass like magic and smoke like Bob Marley. On the flip side I think we have landed some talented transfers--(Ovie, Tarin, Blackmon, Ect.)

Roll Dukes Roll

9/09/2016 8:08 am  #20

Once Duquesne had an assistant (DAP) who brought in a Canadian player with a lot of promise, a coaching change saw an inexperienced head coach named and his player Wayne Smith begin careers together. Smith was a prolific scorer as an ideal size ( 6-7 ) forward but he played on an overmatched and poorly coached teams. By the time of his senior year, any NBA talk had faded and he never had the Wayne Smith Era.

I tell this story to illustrate Duquesne and today's college basketball, bright young freshman come here with dreams and are worn out by continued mediocre results , RE was our best success story and it was only about a 500% tenure, Ferry is typical of our coaching records since the Red Manning Era.

They, like most teams, now have transferring out being a salvation, few have success like McConnell did, most just end up somewhere else.

Ty Powell left Duquesne and ended up at Pacific, which is in Compton, Calif., a place that the folks in near by Oakland are glad they don't live there!

Good luck to all newcomers and former Dukes, hope you can win sometime and give us a little hope.

A diehard fan since 1961

9/09/2016 2:51 pm  #21

The University of Pacific is located in Stockton, CA (hundreds of miles from Compton).
They have made 3 NCAA appearances since our last visit to the tourney.
They play in the West Coast Conference, with Gonzaga, BYU, Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, etc.
Their home court seats 6,500 (Palumbo 4,400(
Their average home game attendance last year (8-20 record) was 600 higher than the Dukes.
They have a new coach -Damon Stoudamire. Stoudamire honed his skills under legendary coach Lute Olson at Arizona where he played four seasons before beginning a 13-year NBA career. He has spent the last seven years coaching basketball as an assistant with the Memphis Grizzlies, Arizona Wildcats, and most recently the Memphis Tigers.

It isn't like TySean packed his bags and went to a third world basketball program. Based on the lack of success at Duquesne, is this really a step back?  The reality in 2016 is that there are many, many schools that are light years ahead of the Dukes as a basketball program.

9/10/2016 9:50 am  #22

Phoenix,

1. You know I respect you and your posts.

2. I think we usually agree.

3. I'm not impressed by Pacific's credentials. The moment you compared them to us, my first thought was that, what, 250 programs in the country are better or in better shape? But 150 to 200 of them don't jump off the page at me.

So, respectfully I disagree.

Peace.

9/10/2016 9:52 am  #23

I stand corrected on Stockton, and maybe Pacific is a better choice than Duquesne for the former front court player. Maybe that is the point, anywhere than here for some players.......

A diehard fan since 1961

9/11/2016 1:11 pm  #24

ED, I was taking dramatic license to make a point, so I deserved to be called out on it. (And Phildog, sorry for the jab.) The point I wanted to make is that many programs like Pacific are closer in quality today to the Dukes than many of us sometimes think, especially us who have long memories of better days on the Bluff.  The frustrating part is that A-10 conference, the TV exposure and the major city location give the Dukes' program so much upside if they can win; the Pacific's of the world would not be in this discussion. As your tag line says, I'm "sick of losing" too.

Board footera