Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2016 10:52 am  #1

Womens non conference schedule.

Coach Dan Burt and the woman's team stepping up the non conference schedule big time.

Opener @ Ohio State
Home vs Maryland
@ St John's.
Berkeley tourney with Cal or San Fran as a potential opponent
I am assuming Pitt remains on schedule.

Huge non conference schedule!!!

Last edited by duqkurt (8/31/2016 12:12 pm)

8/31/2016 11:39 am  #2

Re: Womens non conference schedule.

duqkurt wrote:

Coach Dan Burt and the wormed team stepping up the non conference schedule big time.

Opener @ Ohio State
Home vs Maryland
@ St John's.
Berkeley tourney with Cal as a potential opponent
I am assuming Pitt remains on schedule.

Huge non conference schedule!!!

Wow, shocked they got a program like Maryland to come to the AJPC. Great job Coach and the new AD!

8/31/2016 11:56 am  #3

Yes, as Coach Burt says - the most challenging non-conference schedule in Dukes' history.  Playing powerhouses like Ohio State, Maryland, etc. will definitely boost the RPI.  I'm sure someone out there who knows more about the game (than I), will educate me on this, but here is a dumb question/concern.. The team (talented as it may be), has lost 3 starters, two of which were All-Conference.  How does a schedule like this with the prospect of several losses actually benefit such a young team?  Could it have a potentially reverse effect?  I would have preferred several games early-on to build team cohesion and confidence- but I'm sure there's an underlying benefit I don't see.  Please educate me.  Thanks.     

8/31/2016 12:07 pm  #4

sperlman wrote:

Yes, as Coach Burt says - the most challenging non-conference schedule in Dukes' history.  Playing powerhouses like Ohio State, Maryland, etc. will definitely boost the RPI.  I'm sure someone out there who knows more about the game (than I), will educate me on this, but here is a dumb question/concern.. The team (talented as it may be), has lost 3 starters, two of which were All-Conference.  How does a schedule like this with the prospect of several losses actually benefit such a young team?  Could it have a potentially reverse effect?  I would have preferred several games early-on to build team cohesion and confidence- but I'm sure there's an underlying benefit I don't see.  Please educate me.  Thanks.     

As we have learned in the past with at large bid selections, playing powerhouse schools and losing to them only helps your RPI.   Beat one and all the better.   Coach Burt in the 93.7 the Fan interviewed said he expects this team to be very good.   He said the same thing last season.     If he thinks they will be good, beating up weak opponents doesn't do anything for their tournament resume.    And if you lose to a really weak team, because it is early in the season, you may kill your at-large bid changes in December. 

He obviously isn't worried about their psyche with the talent level he has on this team.  

9 of the 14 teams had tournament experience.   Buffalo, Iona, OSU, San Francisco (potential Cal tourney opponent) and St John's went to the NCAA.  Akron, Charlotte and Ohio to WNIT.  

I love the schedule and the confidence he has in the team.  

Last edited by duqkurt (8/31/2016 2:29 pm)

8/31/2016 12:16 pm  #5

Also, this team should be picked at least second in A-10 preseason polls.   I only think Saint Louis will be ahead of them.   Dayton has talented freshmen as well but lost a big time player to transfer as did SBU.   GW is going through a transition year.   Fordham will be formidable as well. 

A battle tested Duquesne team will  have a great chance at winning the A10.  

Last edited by duqkurt (8/31/2016 12:16 pm)

8/31/2016 1:25 pm  #6

If the discount price offered for the Dukes' women's basketball season ticket doesn't increase attendance, then certainly this non-conference and A-10 home schedule should attract more fans.  This is definitely a RPI-popping schedule.

May I remind you that the Dukes played Ohio State in Columbus on Dec. 28, 2010.  This was a money game for the Dukes.  Ohio State thought they were buying a win.  The Dukes had other thoughts on the matter and won that game, 71-67.  One of the Dukes' top career 3-point shooters, Kelly Britcher, received a pass from Vanessa Abel and then nailed a 3-pointer with 9 seconds on the clock to secure the win for the Dukes.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (8/31/2016 6:57 pm)

8/31/2016 2:05 pm  #7

Actually, I have the last 2 minutes of that game (video) on my 'Favorites' list.  I have the photo of the team (all smiles) after the game on my Duquesne BB binder; I also have the box score and several articles about the game, So yes, I do remember. I would argue that one major difference was our exceptional point guard, Vanessa Abel, played 36 minutes in that game - and Ohio State's pressure against our backcourt (with an untested freshman) will be intense this time around.  Let's just hope that you are right and I am wrong.

8/31/2016 8:26 pm  #8

Sperlman:  Unlike the men who try to fill the non-conference schedule with Cup Cakes -  Some of the better ladies teams actually ENJOY playing the tougher competition -  It's possible that MARYLAND AND OHIO STATE LOOKED AT DUQUESNE AND SAID "Here is a PRETTY GOOD team to play against - travel if/when we go there is not prohibitive -- and Coach Burt and the ladies and the AD said - 'BRING 'EM ON!!!!!!

8/31/2016 10:32 pm  #9

SkepticAl wrote:

Sperlman:  Unlike the men who try to fill the non-conference schedule with Cup Cakes -  Some of the better ladies teams actually ENJOY playing the tougher competition -  It's possible that MARYLAND AND OHIO STATE LOOKED AT DUQUESNE AND SAID "Here is a PRETTY GOOD team to play against - travel if/when we go there is not prohibitive -- and Coach Burt and the ladies and the AD said - 'BRING 'EM ON!!!!!!

When a star player such as Maryland's All-American Shatori Walker-Kimbrough becomes a senior, it is not uncommon for her team to try to arrange a game in or near her home town.  Ms. Walker-Kimbrough is a graduate of Hopewell High School in Beaver County.  It is my understanding that Maryland first approached Pitt for a game so that Shatori could play in front her family, friends, and high school teammates & classmates in relatively close proximity to her hometown.  Pitt turned down Maryland's offer.   Maryland then approached Duquesne for a game at Palumbo Center.  To top it off, they offered the Dukes $10,000.  This arrangement is a one game deal.  There will be no return game for the Dukes at College Park, MD.  Now who would turn down an offer to play a team with a very high RPI, such as Maryland, and earn $10,000 to play the game on one's home court to boot?   

9/01/2016 8:30 am  #10

I actually like the Maryland game because of its placement (later) in the non-conference schedule.  My only concern was Ohio State right off the bat- but  what do I know, right? 

9/01/2016 9:06 pm  #11

Regarding the post from godukes -  WHEN Walker -Kimbrough committed to Maryland - maybe they were counting on visits to Pitt (as league games) as the opportunity for her to visit the old stomping grounds - then when Maryland switches leagues - idea goes out the door -  Don't know of too many VISITING schools that give the $$$ in match ups!!

9/01/2016 11:06 pm  #12

SkepticAl wrote:

Regarding the post from godukes -  WHEN Walker -Kimbrough committed to Maryland - maybe they were counting on visits to Pitt (as league games) as the opportunity for her to visit the old stomping grounds - then when Maryland switches leagues - idea goes out the door -  Don't know of too many VISITING schools that give the $$$ in match ups!!

My information about what I wrote concerning how the Dukes ended up with a game at the Palumbo with Maryland this season came from the Dukes' coaching staff.  I initially was told of this around the end of the 2015-2016 regular season.  To my knowledge most college basketball teams do not make their schedules four years into the future as your speculation seems to imply.

Perhaps a reason for passing up a home game with a team like Maryland may possibly be the fear of absorbing a loss to Maryland, particularly when the home team anticipates that it already has too difficult of a schedule to add another top notch opponent.

9/18/2016 7:05 pm  #13

This schedule will test this young squad. It will get them ready for conferences play….

Board footera