Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2016 7:49 am  #2

Re: News coverage of Dukes' game @ YSU tonight at 7:30 pm on ESPN3

Well, that wasn't pretty.  The score didn't reflect how much of a mismatch this was.

9/02/2016 8:43 am  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Well, that wasn't pretty.  The score didn't reflect how much of a mismatch this was.

Think they were reading their own press clippings a little too much. They were asleep from the opening kickoff. Oh well, just have to regroup and beat bucknell next week. At least we didn't lose to a D2 team like rmu did

9/07/2016 6:57 pm  #4

Think they got too comfortable from such a game at JMU. YSU/JMU similar programs in that their starting 22 imho are lower mid level FBS roster. The Dukes came so close, came close to beating Buffalo which Albany beat them to :/ ...Pipe dream but would love to see the Dukes keep stepping it up scholarship/program facilities wise to another level. Almost would like to see fix up the far end of cupples and use that again, Use Rooney for practice, Too small. But ultimately have to get the crowd anyways but Pittsburgh Media does not help, they barely cover FBS schools, too much time dogging Pitt and barely cover WVU 80 minutes down the road.

9/08/2016 2:10 am  #5

Big Ike wrote:

Think they got too comfortable from such a game at JMU. YSU/JMU similar programs in that their starting 22 imho are lower mid level FBS roster. The Dukes came so close, came close to beating Buffalo which Albany beat them to :/ ...Pipe dream but would love to see the Dukes keep stepping it up scholarship/program facilities wise to another level. Almost would like to see fix up the far end of cupples and use that again, Use Rooney for practice, Too small. But ultimately have to get the crowd anyways but Pittsburgh Media does not help, they barely cover FBS schools, too much time dogging Pitt and barely cover WVU 80 minutes down the road.

I don't recall that the Dukes ever played JMU in football.  I'm guessing that you meant William & Mary whom the Dukes played in the first round of the FCS playoffs last season and lost, 52-49.  W&M and JMU both play in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).  The CAA  is regarded as one of the top FCS conferences along with the Missouri Valley Conference, which includes YSU:
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160606125413968645304&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS 

It's very difficult for a FCS team to get much media coverage in a city with a FBS team, such as Pitt, a NFL team and a NHL team.  The other problem is that the sports editors and writers of the two major newspapers fail to draw the distinction between an FCS team and a NCAA D-2 team, such as IUP, and even a D-3 team, such as CMU.  They frquently lump any coverage under the category of local college football.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (9/08/2016 8:57 am)

9/20/2016 8:54 am  #6

Sorry Guys I did mean W&M, lol. I had recently passed JMU off highway 81 and that was on my mind...note, their stadium is definitely FBS capable. Really nice!

Board footera