Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES IS ENTERING THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2016 11:23 am  #1

The anniversary of The Shooting

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/16/after-duquesne-shooting-gophers-coach-richard-pitino-leaves-his-phone-on/

Really well-done article. It focuses on Richard Pitino and his role after it happened. Although much has been written on the subject, I feel as though I learn something new every time.

Comments from Phil Fayne are very insightful.

9/19/2016 3:20 pm  #2

Re: The anniversary of The Shooting

I was driving in Cumberland, Md. when the news came over the radio. It felt like a punch in the gut, especially with the optimism surrounding Ron's arrival. You had to feel like we were cursed.

9/19/2016 3:43 pm  #3

I was at a high school football game. Game was played on a Sunday because of a rainout. I was wearing a Duquesne t-shirt and a woman I'd never met came up to me in the stands to tell me she heard about it on the news. She's never heard of Duquesne before and was taken back by seeing someone wearing a DU shirt.

I was devastated. Didn't know if there were fatalities at that point. Didn't know much of anything until I saw the old message board that day.

9/21/2016 8:11 am  #4

I remember watching Sportscenter on an NFL Sunday evening and seeing a sight rarer than hen's teeth. Our Duquesne logo behind the anchor on the lead story!  Sad that the only time in 40 years that is the reason for the publicity.

Note:  My memory is faulty, and since it was a Tuesday night in December, I am not sure if our upset of Florida State in 92 may or may not have been the lead. It was definitely a first segment story.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

9/21/2016 8:28 am  #5

We did get some ESPN love when the guys were stranded in the blizzard this past winter.

9/21/2016 8:30 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

We did get some ESPN love when the guys were stranded in the blizzard this past winter.

I recorded those Sportscenters. We were far from the lead story with NFL playoffs going on and the NBA and NHL seasons in full swing, but yeah that was a lot of mention.  :-)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera