Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2016 12:09 am  #1

Dukes beat Jacksonville Dolphins, 54-35

The Dukes were able to right the ship from its disappointing loss to Kennesaw State with QB Dillon Buechel throwing 6 TD passes of which 4 went to receiver Wayne Capers in its big win over Jacksonville, 54-35, in the hot Florida weather on Saturday afternoon.  The Dukes finished the non-conference portion of their schedule, 3-2, and will have a bye next weekend.  They will play Bobby Mo on October 15th at 7 pm on Rooney Field (covered by ESPN3).  I look for either Capers or Buechel to be selected for NEC Offensive Player of the Week award, and freshman running back, A.J. Hines (rushed for 132 yds. on 28 carries & had 1 pass reception for a TD), for his 4th NEC Rookie of the Week award time this season.

President Ken Gormley with #1 Duquesne sophomore wide receiver Nehari Crawford's family after the Dukes' huge 54-35 victory over Jacksonville on Saturday. Nehari is from Fort Pierce, FL. He had 3 receptions (1 for a TD) for 31 yds. & had 2 rushes for 16 yds.

10/03/2016 11:17 am  #2

Re: Dukes beat Jacksonville Dolphins, 54-35

godukes1970 wrote:

The Dukes were able to right the ship from its disappointing loss to Kennesaw State with QB Dillon Buechel throwing 6 TD passes of which 4 went to receiver Wayne Capers in its big win over Jacksonville, 54-35, in the hot Florida weather on Saturday afternoon.  The Dukes finished the non-conference portion of their schedule, 3-2, and will have a bye next weekend.  They will play Bobby Mo on October 15th at 7 pm on Rooney Field (covered by ESPN3).  I look for either Capers or Buechel to be selected for NEC Offensive Player of the Week award, and freshman running back, A.J. Hines (rushed for 132 yds. on 28 carries & had 1 pass reception for a TD), for his 4th NEC Rookie of the Week award time this season.

President Ken Gormley with #1 Duquesne sophomore wide receiver Nehari Crawford's family after the Dukes' huge 54-35 victory over Jacksonville on Saturday. Nehari is from Fort Pierce, FL. He had 3 receptions (1 for a TD) for 31 yds. & had 2 rushes for 16 yds.

I am most impressed by the fact that gormely made the trip to Jacksonville with the team. He seems, at least on the surface, to truly believe that athletics can really help the university as a whole.

10/03/2016 11:19 am  #3

Hines has been such a tank this season.

a little bit worrisome the defense gave up so many points, considering how weak Jacksonville is considered even relative to its non-scholarship conference affiliation. But RMU is not likely to provide much resistance in two weeks either...they're just awful

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/03/2016 2:06 pm  #4

Dukes2012 wrote:

I am most impressed by the fact that gormely made the trip to Jacksonville with the team. He seems, at least on the surface, to truly believe that athletics can really help the university as a whole.

Agreed.  I thought that was pretty cool for the Prez to make the effort.  Certainly has a different vibe to it than all of the previous years of lip service coming from the Admin.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (10/03/2016 2:06 pm)

10/03/2016 2:40 pm  #5

UPDATE: Hines received his 4th straight NEC ROW award, Capers got the NEC Offensive POW

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/03/2016 3:59 pm  #6

yak-rbc wrote:

UPDATE: Hines received his 4th straight NEC ROW award, Capers got the NEC Offensive POW

Hard to believe so many schools missed out on Hines

10/03/2016 6:09 pm  #7

Hopefully they worked out their problems in the OOC portion.   They lost two the two scholarship teams they played and beat the three non scholarship teams.

10/03/2016 9:11 pm  #8

duqkurt wrote:

Hopefully they worked out their problems in the OOC portion. They lost two the two scholarship teams they played and beat the three non scholarship teams.

Bucknell whom the Dukes beat at Rooney Field, 30-19, this season is a member of the Patriot League.  In this news release from Bucknell on Apri 16, 2016, Buchknell acknowledged that it will provide athletic grant-in aid for the football team as do other members of the Patriot League starting with this season: http://www.bucknell.edu/communications/bucknell-magazine/recent-issues/spring-2016/a-winning-tradition/patriot-league-25th-anniversary.html.

From the news release:

President John Bravman ultimately decided Bucknell could offer merit aid in football "in a way that upholds our core values," just as it had done in other sports.
"The four-year phase-in of merit aid in Bison football will be complete as the team takes the field this fall."It was just competitively too difficult" to stick with need-only aid, Hardt [Bucknell's AD] says. When the vast majority of the other Division I schools could offer athletic scholarships, "the playing field was slanted," he says. Today, not every Bison sport offers the full amount of scholarship aid allowed by NCAA Division I rules.

​A friend of mine who attended the the Dukes' game in Jacksonville told me that the Dukes had nearly as many fans in the stands as did the Dolphins.  He also said that President Gormley stood on the Dukes' sideline throughout the game and congratulated the Dukes' players as they left the field in victory. Sounds like he appreciates the efforts of the Athletic Department.

Last edited by godukes1970 (10/05/2016 2:07 pm)

10/03/2016 9:21 pm  #9

yak-rbc wrote:

Here's a link to the NEC's release on this week's football awards: http://www.northeastconference.org/news/2016/10/3/fb-release-wk5-16.aspx
Note the final item relates to the Dukes' Dillon Buechel as becoming the #1 passing leader in the history of the NEC with 8,901 yards.  Congrats to Dillon! Frankly, the NEC player of the week was a toss-up between Buechel and Capers.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (10/03/2016 9:23 pm)

Board footera