Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2016 9:19 am  #1

Dukes tie for 2nd in A-10 Preseason Poll: St Louis picked to finish 1

1. St Louis (9 votes for first)                   8. St. Joe's
2. Dukes (3)                                           9. Rhode Island
    Dayton                                              10. Bonnies
4. GW (2)                                              11. George Mason
5. VCU                                                  12. LaSalle
6. Fordham                                           13. Davidson 
7. Richmond                                         14. UMass 

Amadea Samosa & Kadri-Ann Lass were named to A-10 2nd team.  Lass was also picked for A-10 all-defensive team. 

http://www.atlantic10.com/pdf9/5039907.pdf

Last edited by godukes1970 (10/25/2016 4:05 pm)

10/25/2016 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Dukes tie for 2nd in A-10 Preseason Poll: St Louis picked to finish 1

I personally feel the Atlantic 10 as a whole still underestimates Kadri. Apparently last season was not enough of an introduction especially after for some she was robbed of being A-10 ROY.

Right now a T-2 seems appropriate to me. Saint Louis is talented and Dayton on paper has the best roster. Still games are not won in paper and Duquesne may not win as many contests as last season but don't interpret that as a step back in any way.

10/25/2016 6:48 pm  #3

When asked by the interviewer about how the team feels after playing in the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history as the 2016-2017 basketball season is about to begin, Coach Dan said that experience occurred in the past, and it was accomplished without the nine new players that are on this season's roster.  He said that the team was concentrating on the season ahead rather than dwelling on last season's great success.  I like Coach Dan's confidence in his team with the proviso that except for sophomore Chassidy Omogrosso none of the other guards have much experience in playing NCAA D-1 basketball.  As he said, the team has very talented guards who hopefully will grow into good D-1 guards in the early portion of the schedule.  He did, however, mention freshman guard 5' 10" guard Nina from Hungary as being very impressive in practice, but he was reluctant to identify the 5th starter.   

He did feel that the team should be quite strong under the basket with pre-season 2nd team selectees Amadea Szamosi and Kadri Ann Lass plus Judith Sole, transfer from Robert Morris as starters. Note that Coach Dan referred to Sole's height as 6'4".  I always thought she was listed as 6' 3".  (I checked the 2016-2017 roster and Judith is still listed as 6' 3".)  Perhaps Dan believes that there was a growth spurt since last season.  (This season's roster lists sophomore Angela Staffalino as 6' 3" when she was listed as 6' 2 in last year's roster.)

The change in the format of the A-10 Women's Tournament where the top two teams get a bye and teams finishing 3rd through 8th will host on their home court teams finishing 9th through 14th on February 25 or 26, 2017, and the quarter-finals will be played on Friday, March 3, semi-finals on Sat., March 4, and the A-10 Championship on Sunday, March 4, have caused all teams to play at least one A-10 opponent in December, 2016.  While Coach Dan liked the change in tournament's format, he was less than enthusiastic about having to play at Fordham on Dec. 1, 2016, in between two non-conference opponents.

Last edited by godukes1970 (10/25/2016 10:08 pm)

10/25/2016 7:22 pm  #4

First, I don't know why your paragraph came out so funky like that.

but yes, at the Dukes and Donuts the one freshman that stood out at me was Nina Aho.

the other thing that jumped out at me was staffileno--she lost a ton of weight it seems. she is not gonna let sole have that 3rd forward spot very easily.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/25/2016 7:53 pm  #5

And in one round of the three point shooting Bevel was 5-5 hit from ALL five of the spots -  Does anyone know why Sole did not participate in the scrimmage? 

THANKS!!

10/25/2016 7:53 pm  #6

yak-rbc wrote:

First, I don't know why your paragraph came out so funky like that.

but yes, at the Dukes and Donuts the one freshman that stood out at me was Nina Aho.

the other thing that jumped out at me was staffileno--she lost a ton of weight it seems. she is not gonna let sole have that 3rd forward spot very easily.

I think I was able to de-funkify the text.  Not sure that James Brown, the Godfather of Soul and Funk, would approve.  

I agree with you about Angela's change in her appearance.  I saw her and spoke to her at one of Coach Dan's tailgate parties during a Dukes' football game and immediately noticed that she looked like she had been working out in the fitness center throughout the summer.  Good for her.  Angela had her best game last season against GW in the A-10 championship game: 16 min.; FG: 4-5; 3-pt: 2-3; Rbs: 4; Pts: 11; TO: 1.  She will be a contributor to the Dukes' success this season.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (10/25/2016 8:07 pm)

10/25/2016 7:57 pm  #7

SkepticAl wrote:

And in one round of the three point shooting Bevel was 5-5 hit from ALL five of the spots -  Does anyone know why Sole did not participate in the scrimmage? 

THANKS!!

I believe she injured her foot in practice and was in a boot for a while.  Perhaps it was a precautionary move on the part of the coaches to keep her out of the scrimmage.

10/25/2016 9:25 pm  #8

A couple of things.

First Staffileno has certainly benefitted from a year in this program and overcame plenty of nerves. Remember that Dan Burt said that from now on he wanted to redshirt freshman posts and talked about Staffileno as one of those. This transformation and added confidence has certainly made the decision a tough one for Burt. Eniko Kuttor will almost certainly redshirt but Staffileno is a coin flip. You want her to be able to have three productive years but at the same time if she can help a good team and make it a better product to where the redshirt should not be used then maybe it is worth dressing her.

As for Sole she was indeed in a boot. She has been dealing with plantar fasciitis. Sole is back practicing but in a limited capacity. I would assume this is so she can be closer to if not at full strength for Ohio State.

Board footera