Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/28/2016 12:46 pm  #1

You listening Dave Harper?

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/10/20/college-basketball-recruiting-improved-facilities-make-all-difference

"When we first got here we had a high set of standards and expectations,” said Dayon head coach Archie Miller. “With that it was hard to sell the best of the best without the best facilities. I think all of that stuff matters a lot in recruiting. Now we compare favorably to any school in the country with what we can show recruits, it is a strength for us now with kids and their families.”

Miller continued, “Great facilities are probably the most important thing you have. You have to act in a way that isn’t different than anybody else. In a very short order here we’ve done some amazing upgrades, and our upgrades don’t come from football money.”

“Because of that we can show that type of investment we have in our program from donors and the administration,” said Miller. “It is impressive. Being able to put together the presentation we have allows us to recruit a kid who can go anywhere.”

Already in a key 2017 recruiting class the Flyers have three commitments including a pair of highly touted backcourt prospects in McKinley Wright and Jordan Davis who had offers from Big Ten, Big East, ACC, and SEC schools between them.

PS look at SLU, new state of the art facilities and power 5 coach, top ten recruit in the nation. A + B = freaking C

10/28/2016 1:00 pm  #2

Re: You listening Dave Harper?

Dave Harper seems to be fully informed on what it takes to be successful. The problem is getting everyone else, from donors to the administration, on board. It takes a lot of time and money to make these goals a reality.

10/28/2016 1:40 pm  #3

Dukes2012 wrote:

Dave Harper seems to be fully informed on what it takes to be successful. The problem is getting everyone else, from donors to the administration, on board. It takes a lot of time and money to make these goals a reality.

Your right, I should have put Gormley in the title. I'm just a poor recent graduate so I have not had the opportunity to donate money to the program and gain any inside information but for those tied into the program a little more, like does building a new facility even come up in meetings or booster events or anything?? Is it even a thought or in any way feasible at all? When you look around the A10 and see everyone else's and then look at ours, it's basically us and Fordham tied for the worst facilities. Why can everyone else make something happen that we just can't?

Last edited by Duques102 (10/28/2016 1:45 pm)

10/28/2016 1:56 pm  #4

Duques102 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Your right, I should have put Gormley in the title. I'm just a poor recent graduate so I have not had the opportunity to donate money to the program and gain any inside information but for those tied into the program a little more, like does building a new facility even come up in meetings or booster events or anything?? Is it even a thought or in any way feasible at all? When you look around the A10 and see everyone else's and then look at ours, it's basically us and Fordham tied for the worst facilities. Why can everyone else make something happen that we just can't?

I'm only a year out of law school so I'm not quite at the money donating stage yet either haha

10/28/2016 2:38 pm  #5

Harper came from Dayton. I think he's well aware of what 's necessary

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

10/28/2016 2:54 pm  #6

yak-rbc wrote:

I'm glad you said it.
The schools that are the big dog in their town tend to have the most support, and best facilities. It's not surprising that the schools that are most lacking (us, GW, LS, StJ, Fordham) are schools that don't have the support of their entire city.

10/28/2016 3:04 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

I'm glad you said it.
The schools that are the big dog in their town tend to have the most support, and best facilities. It's not surprising that the schools that are most lacking (us, GW, LS, StJ, Fordham) are schools that don't have the support of their entire city.

Good point. Dayton basketball is the only show in town. However, I think Xavier is the better model for us. They are the smaller catholic school in a city with a large public school. X has had a lot of success recently, and turned it into funding for top notch facilities. It's certainly doable for us, but it's not going to get any better without some sustained success. Winning is the only way to increase attention and interest in duq basketball. Funding follows success.

10/28/2016 3:12 pm  #8

Didn't Arch and Schmidt, both with Pgh ties, a week ago encourage seeing the A-10 tourney at a magnificent PPG facility?  Are there any better A-10 venues out there?  Why not build your program by first placing the cart behind your horse the way the others who are more successful did: ala the Flyers pre-upgrade, Bonnies every year, Joe, Davidson, GWU, champions, Nat'l Invitation Tournament in 2016?

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

10/31/2016 7:58 am  #9

Duques102 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

I find it very hard to believe that the president is going to invest a large amount of money into a new arena.  I think alumni would flip out   We did just put a lot of money into upgrading the bowl section of the arena, and we redid the locker rooms and offices when I was in school, so I think we are sticking with Palumbo for now.  We also have PPG Paints arena as a home venue (one I loathe) so that works too.  

Personally, I am all for having an intimate loud arena like Palumbo.  It sure would be nice if the place were spiced up a bit though.  It seems like Gormley is leaning in that direction.  Here is his quote:

"Clearly, we have the Palumbo Center sitting out there. Not only is it a the centerpiece of our basketball program in terms of our facility, but it is also sitting smack in the middle of the Uptown area where the mayor and the county executive want to develop more. One important piece of that is what types of external funding we can come up with to try to enhance the beauty and usability of that facility."

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

10/31/2016 8:46 am  #10

Simms wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

I find it very hard to believe that the president is going to invest a large amount of money into a new arena.  I think alumni would flip out   We did just put a lot of money into upgrading the bowl section of the arena, and we redid the locker rooms and offices when I was in school, so I think we are sticking with Palumbo for now.  We also have PPG Paints arena as a home venue (one I loathe) so that works too.  

Personally, I am all for having an intimate loud arena like Palumbo.  It sure would be nice if the place were spiced up a bit though.  It seems like Gormley is leaning in that direction.  Here is his quote:

"Clearly, we have the Palumbo Center sitting out there. Not only is it a the centerpiece of our basketball program in terms of our facility, but it is also sitting smack in the middle of the Uptown area where the mayor and the county executive want to develop more. One important piece of that is what types of external funding we can come up with to try to enhance the beauty and usability of that facility."

Thanks for the quote from the Prez, I think that makes sense.  I didn't think there would be much support to building a new arena at this point.  You pointed out the facts very well. 

10/31/2016 9:11 am  #11

I agree. It would take large private donations for there to be any movement on a new arena. Probably not within the realm of possibility until there has been some sustained success over a period of years.

10/31/2016 9:12 am  #12

yak-rbc wrote:

Agreed, when we spoke last year, he repeatedly told me about Dayton and their examples and struggles building and rebuilding a program

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/31/2016 9:14 am  #13

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

I'm glad you said it.

Good point. Dayton basketball is the only show in town. However, I think Xavier is the better model for us. They are the smaller catholic school in a city with a large public school. X has had a lot of success recently, and turned it into funding for top notch facilities. It's certainly doable for us, but it's not going to get any better without some sustained success. Winning is the only way to increase attention and interest in duq basketball. Funding follows success.

yes, not to mention a city with professional sports options, another thing Dayton doesn't have. I have always maintained we could be the Pittsburgh version of Xavier

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/31/2016 4:12 pm  #14

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I'm glad you said it.

yes, not to mention a city with professional sports options, another thing Dayton doesn't have. I have always maintained we could be the Pittsburgh version of Xavier

Keep in mind that Xavier has facilities because they've been winning, not the reverse. As they won, they were constantly able to upgrade. They didn't go out and build the Cintas Center, and then start to win. They won with crappy facilities, and leveraged the winning to continually improve.

11/01/2016 6:28 am  #15

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Keep in mind that Xavier has facilities because they've been winning, not the reverse. As they won, they were constantly able to upgrade. They didn't go out and build the Cintas Center, and then start to win. They won with crappy facilities, and leveraged the winning to continually improve.

Forty years, down the drain. 🙄

11/01/2016 6:56 am  #16

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Forty years, down the drain. 🙄

44 years if you want to be precise. Who'd have ever believed it back then?
"55 winning seasons in the last 60 years" proclaimed the book that DU sent out to prospective students.

11/01/2016 10:26 am  #17

I guess every school has to find its own way to succeed and we have to find ours.

What Xavier is today is at least 35 years in the making. Duq 81 is right about how it pulled itself up by its bootstraps. It decided to start playing games in Cincinnati Gardens in the early 1980s. It also played some games in a newer downtown arena. The Gardens had been fallow for years and the only thing new watching a game there was a basketball floor decorated with Xavier logos. As they won there was enough interest and money to build their own place later.

Dayton built their place with a $4 million loan from some agency of the State of Ohio. They asked for $1000 donations from alumni and friends to have cash reserve to be able to get that loan. It took them a year and a half to convince the state to do this probably on the grounds that it would also serve as an entertainment center for the area which basically had none without driving to Cincinnati. Their website touts that there have been more NCAA tournament games there than anywhere else.

Last edited by scduke (11/01/2016 10:29 am)

Board footera