Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/03/2016 7:02 pm  #1

Darius Banks Decommits

https://twitter.com/DbDarius/status/794318683975929858

"I think talking it over with my mom and my high school coach that I want to Decommit from Duquesne University."

11/03/2016 7:04 pm  #2

Re: Darius Banks Decommits

Ouch...   He is our best recruit.  Still, if we are successful this season, I could see him recommitting.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/03/2016 7:23 pm  #3

Well that's not good news. I hope we kept in touch with the other kids we were recruiting.

11/03/2016 7:56 pm  #4

National Early Signing Period November 9 - 16.  Looks like we will have one to give in the Spring.  

11/03/2016 8:00 pm  #5

Why committ in the first place. So stupid.

11/03/2016 8:32 pm  #6

That hurts. This is all too common in recruiting these days. It seems like kids commit too early and then have seconds thoughts after taking time to think. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened to us more often.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (11/03/2016 8:33 pm)

11/03/2016 9:18 pm  #7

It's not all that common in basketball; much more common in football.  It is disappointing so close to the signing period, but we have some depth at guard.

11/03/2016 10:11 pm  #8

Good point about guard depth. Although I hope he reconsiders, if not, it would not be a bad thing to recruit another 6'9" , 6"10" kid.

11/03/2016 10:28 pm  #9

Can't help wonder if some broken promise, during recruiting, played a big role. Let's see where he signs. I hope he doesn't sign with an A10. (Hey what if he signs with Shawn Miller in Arizona?)

11/03/2016 11:49 pm  #10

(expletive)(expletive)(expletive!!)

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/04/2016 12:32 am  #11

Other coaches have probably been after him.

11/04/2016 12:33 am  #12

Poor Darius ,life is so hard,the thought of getting a quality education ,getting a monthly stipend, and free
tutoring , from a school like Duquesne,a 150,000 dollar package, to play basketball for a coach that almost
guaranteed you immediate playing time.You graduate in 4 years with no debt. and a education that enhances the chance for a great life for you and your family.You are blessed Darius. You messed up a
great oppurtunity dude.
  As a fan I want the Duquesne athlete to  realize the great gift this school offers beyond playing
basketball. A free education ,a time to grow into a man,develop his skills as as a good person.
 Duquesne fans, we can and will do better and one player is not going to  break the bank.One thing that
I question is if Darius is a 4 star basketball stud then why no offers from any of the SEC  or ACC schools.??Florida,Florida State not interested??? Seems he might be a bit overhyped.
 From what I have read about Mr. Banks is he is a mid major prospect who doesnt defend all that well.He
is ranked in the mid 30s among seniors in  the state of Florida.??????
Hopefully Darius ,his mother and his so called advisors will  help him find a school where he is close to his mother and all his buddies who think they can ride with him to the NBA.Good luck Darius.

11/04/2016 6:20 am  #13

I hope he spends four years on The Bluff. Now that the Cubs have won a World Series, I am the world's most frustrated fan.

I think Mr. Banks could win a couple A10 titles and get me a couple deep NCAA runs.

Darius, Pittsburgh is an amazing city. Someone's putting wrong stuff in your ear.

But if you choose to go elsewhere I wish you the best, and I hope whoever comes in your place is better.

11/04/2016 6:47 am  #14

The Florida schools usually get the real good ones, where I am at the local low major, FGCU , picks up kids like Banks who want to play right away and have a great chance to go NCAA every year.

It doesn't look like they recruited him.

I also think that opening another spot can help fill out the roster with size, we have seen guards come in and fail and transfer, not uncommon.

A coach once said, I am more concerned about who is here than who is not.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/04/2016 9:27 am  #15

Thank you Phil.Your post is right on.Duquesne was the best offer he got.Sorry for the previous negative rant.
Duquesne is a place to learn and grow.It is not a athletic factory that worries more about  maintaining a
players eligibility ,it is not in the mission of Duquesne to  exploit  and discard but to serve god by serving
students.This young man has been given poor advice and I do wish him the best of luck in whatever he
chooses to do in the future. Please forgive me Darius and Duquesne fans.

11/04/2016 10:05 am  #16

duq81 wrote:

That is highly likely.  While it against the rules for other coaches to talk directly to the kid once he commits, they can get in the ear of the kids coach.  Bottom line, however, is that Darius deserves to do what he believes will be in his best interest.  Perhaps he just wants to play close to home and his mom.  Several Florida schools have offered.  He is a very good player and I wish him all the best.  

11/04/2016 4:25 pm  #17

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

That is highly likely.  While it against the rules for other coaches to talk directly to the kid once he commits, they can get in the ear of the kids coach.  Bottom line, however, is that Darius deserves to do what he believes will be in his best interest.  Perhaps he just wants to play close to home and his mom.  Several Florida schools have offered.  He is a very good player and I wish him all the best.  

Someone probably pointed out that we are pretty young in the backcourt, and that playing time was by no means a sure thing.

11/05/2016 6:11 am  #18

Follow the $$$.  The kid's high school coach probably got paid by another school to flip him.  No matter what they say, one or more people got paid!

11/05/2016 6:56 am  #19

levon1975 wrote:

Follow the $$$. The kid's high school coach probably got paid by another school to flip him. No matter what they say, one or more people got paid!

Of course someone could always say that we offered him money to commit in the first place. Those types of allegations are very easy to toss around. My guess is that with letter of intent day approaching, and many kids making up their minds, some bigger name schools that missed out on their main targets, have come sniffing around, and convinced him that it's better to come and play for their "big time" P5 school, instead of some "small time school", that has done nothing in 40 plus years.

11/05/2016 9:47 am  #20

Like someone else said above, if the young man wants to take his skills elsewhere then all the best and let's get someone equal or better who wants to be here.

11/05/2016 11:00 am  #21

Sure, can't dwell on him, just opens the door for another player.  Maybe someone "blows up" this season and we swoop in.

Still we would be naive not to consider the influence of $$$ in recruiting.

11/05/2016 11:56 am  #22

levon1975 wrote:

Sure, can't dwell on him, just opens the door for another player. Maybe someone "blows up" this season and we swoop in.

Still we would be naive not to consider the influence of $$$ in recruiting.

Of course, but you have to be realistic, and recognize that your favorite teams might not always be so clean either. Locally, both Duquesne, and Pitt were rumored to be fairly dirty back in the 70s. I'm skeptical of the guy Pitt just hired, but Dixon was probably the cleanest coach Pitt has had since Bob Timmons, which is why some folks wanted him gone, despite his success.

Board footera