Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2016 12:51 pm  #1

Coaching Concerns

First, let me say that I am rooting for Coach Ferry to succeed. There are three things that concern me during his tenure - 1) lack of help defense; 2) the ball rarely hits the low post or high post; 3) the three guard offense.

I was extremely disappointed with yesterday.  You can see the talent, but the lack of covering for each other on D is disturbing. Cutting off passing lanes, going for the steal, double teaming are just not there. Remember WVU's Gale Catlett? He played multiple defenses including the triangle and 2, box and 1, half court traps, etc. every game.  Hate WVU, but learned to respect Catlett's in game coaching. We simply don't vary our D, don't help, and get a result like yesterday.

So, Mansfield played a zone and we pass the ball on the perimeter. Not once did the ball go to Mike in the high post. He set screens. Get the ball there and the defense can be broken down. The ball went to the low post so few times that any height advantage was gone.

The really good teams in our league play three forwards. Size does matter. If the guard from Florida does not sign, get another big. Three guards to me means perimeter play. I was always taught that basketball is an inside out game. Might be wrong, but I firmly believe in size.

Anyone know why Eric James did not play in the second half? I still want to believe this team will be good. I will be there for each game, as I have been since Palumbo opened. Let's go Dukes!

11/06/2016 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Coaching Concerns

This could and should be a breakout year for Eric James, so I hope his second half non-appearance is not an indicator of something bubbling up. 

One of the things EJ brings to the floor is the quickness and sensing of when to cut into a passing lane. On a team that needs team-oriented defense, it's a skill that needs to be utilized. 

11/07/2016 5:44 am  #3

Re: Coaching Concerns

Great player .

Board footera