Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2013 10:26 am  #1

Saturday morning trivia

Duquesne's all-time record is now 1,316-1,009 (.559). Our 1,000th all-time loss was to Pitt, this year.

Now you can win a quarter from your friends at Sandroni's.

2/02/2013 11:07 am  #2

Re: Saturday morning trivia

Rather go to Frank  n Wally's1
Here is my question, and I don't know if anyone actually has the answer, though it may not be trivia or trivial!  What did happen between GA and RE?  What happened that GA did end up disliking RE and getting rid of him.  I understand what happened along the way, but was there an incident that was major?  Was it Style?  Was it jealousy on attention?  Does anyone know?
FAM 

2/02/2013 11:34 am  #3

I was also a Frank's guy. Prettier girls there at night, and the jukebox played "Catch Us if You Can." And if you went at breakfast time, you could get a couple eggs, bacon, and a mountin of taters for $1.60. Compare that to the eggbeaters that tasted like dishwater in the cafeteria and it was nolo contendre ... throw in a morning beer and it was wonderful.

2/03/2013 4:02 pm  #4

FAM wrote:

Here is my question, and I don't know if anyone actually has the answer, though it may not be trivia or trivial!  What did happen between GA and RE?  What happened that GA did end up disliking RE and getting rid of him.  I understand what happened along the way, but was there an incident that was major?  Was it Style?  Was it jealousy on attention?  Does anyone know?
FAM 

Professional jealousy, and again not hiring his buddy Mark Prosser.

2/04/2013 5:01 pm  #5

Scotchngars wrote:

FAM wrote:

FAM 

That's truly a shame. A head coach should have carte blanc to hire whomever he wishes.
BTW- the cheeseburgers were better as Sandronis IMO.

2/04/2013 5:31 pm  #6

president wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

FAM wrote:

FAM 

That's truly a shame. A head coach should have carte blanc to hire whomever he wishes.
BTW- the cheeseburgers were better as Sandronis IMO.

And the head coach should certainly not be forced to hire someone whose loyalty is not to him or worse whose loyalty is to the head coach's boss. Does not make for good working relationships. In fact, such a situation would most likely lead to destructive relationships.

2/04/2013 8:30 pm  #7

To throw out a counter argument, is it possible that this Prosser thing is based on what RE has thrown out there?  That wouldn't be illogical as some of you guys have said that you have a pipeline directly to RE, as you believe I have to GA (not true by the way), just saying.  In any event why is it inappropriate to recommend someone if you think he/she might do a good job - that happens all the time.  It's not like we hit home runs with the assistant coaches if you ask me.  Anyway, can we just agree that we all can believe one or the other and just move on?  The bottom line is that none of us were privy to what went on with these two men so I'll just leave it at that. Let's talk hoops guys!!!

2/04/2013 8:52 pm  #8

It's not inappropriate to recommend someone. I understand why Amodio would recommend a friend, especially someone with Prosser's pedigree. But if Everhart were already feeling heat from assistants who had their own agendas, it's also understandable why he might be reluctant to bring in a guy with such ties.

And I don't have ties to ANYONE.

On to basketball ... I still would like to see a somewhat taller lineup. Why not start Abele with Marhold or Datt? My friend Rogabee gave me a little bit of the needle for suggesting this before the St. Bonaventure game, but pretty much everything I said proved itself during the game, except we never played more than one big at a time.

Rogabee, I hope you understand that this is in good fun. I don't want anyone calling me Mussolini, Lenin, Dr. Doom, or Beulah Ballbreaker ...

2/04/2013 9:07 pm  #9

Speaking of height - now that Martin actually played 15  minutes in a game: as a listener only, I believe he was never on the floor with the other 3 "centers" that JF disparaged. And I don't think the other 3 were ever in the game simultaneously.

It wouldn't hurt to try a bigger lineup in certain situations, would it? It isn't like  a conference championship could be compromised by experimenting a bit.

It should take more than 3 minutes for a player who started (Abele) to be benched, and then not return during the whole game, shouldn't it?

2/04/2013 10:07 pm  #10

El D and Apples I think the big man thing simply boils down to skill level.  We may get a spurt from one of the guys on a given night, but that is about all I've seen.  Datt hasn't really played much - although I wonder how much experience he had even before he got here - so who knows how he can develop if healthy. However, I've seen enough of Marhold and Abele to understand their limitations, and that is being gracious.  The wild card for me is Martin.  I watched the game on TV on Sat. and saw him in brief moments over the last two years and I wonder what the deal is with him. He looks to be the most athletic, has nice length and can block shots.  His form on the short jumper doesn't look half bad either, but this is the second coach who has been reluctant to play him much.  What gives?  I would really hope that maybe this 15 minute positive appearance lit a fire under Martin and he brings it every day in practice and for each game.  My sense is that Ferry will give him more of a chance as you are right Apples, what does he have to lose.

2/05/2013 8:27 am  #11

Abele plays well within his limitations. In some ways, he's a bit of an unpolished Tyson Chandler, a big, bulky guy who alters whots, rebounds, and has bad hands. But Chandler has earned a niche in the NBA because he's mastered the pick and roll and because when he gets an offensive rebound he gets the ball in the basket. If Abele could master these skills, he'd be an excellent player for us.

Yes, why not put a couple big guys on the court? People want to argue that we would lose something offensively. What would we lose? Colter going 0-10 some nights? When working the big men into the offense might actually get him better shots?

I still would like to start a game with a big front line, maybe Abele, Datt, and Mathold, working Martin into a rotation with Martins and Mamadou, and giving Pantophlet and Jerry Jones time with Marhold. Colter and Johnson in the backcourt, of course.

I would also change things up big time to start the second half. Martin, Johnson, Winters, Colter and Jeremiah Jones, pressing the other team all over the court for the first five minutes. Then sub in Binney, Jerry Jones, Pantophlet, Datt and Marhold for a couple quick minutes and settle into a normal rotation to ride the game out.

2/05/2013 9:49 am  #12

Abele is big but does Not have the Skills - our record is already terrible - try something - stick with it - and build on it.
Okay, start throwing things at me...I would go with the following starters:
Marhold, Martin, Johnson, Binney, and Jones

2/05/2013 10:36 am  #13

I would definitely love to see Martin get more PT as he appears to be very athletic as is Datt. We don't know how much experience in games Datt had coming in but my guess is not very much. I really hope that D-Mart sticks with the program and is given more opportunity this year and the following two. With his height, athleticism,and help from John Rhodes, He could still pay huge dividends over time.

2/05/2013 4:38 pm  #14

president wrote:

I would definitely love to see Martin get more PT as he appears to be very athletic as is Datt. We don't know how much experience in games Datt had coming in but my guess is not very much. I really hope that D-Mart sticks with the program and is given more opportunity this year and the following two. With his height, athleticism,and help from John Rhodes, He could still pay huge dividends over time.

Remember Fred Moon, he played very little until his sr year then he rebounded blocked shots and even scored, sometimes it takes awhile for these kids to mature and have an impact.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/06/2013 2:53 pm  #15

Agree with you phildog. Big players develop much more slowly than guards in general. Fred Moon is  a great example. If I remember Sandronis and Frank & Wally's, I certainly remember Fred.

2/07/2013 12:54 pm  #16

president wrote:

Agree with you phildog. Big players develop much more slowly than guards in general. Fred Moon is  a great example. If I remember Sandronis and Frank & Wally's, I certainly remember Fred.

I saw Fred last fall. He looks like he could still play.

Here's a question for you. Who will win next, the Dukes, or Penn St.? The Nittany Lions are also winless in league play, and haven't won a game since they beat us.

2/07/2013 1:24 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

president wrote:

I saw Fred last fall. He looks like he could still play.

Here's a question for you. Who will win next, the Dukes, or Penn St.? The Nittany Lions are also winless in league play, and haven't won a game since they beat us.

My greatest fear is that we will have to wait until next year to find out!

Board footera