Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2017 5:17 pm  #1

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT

The Duquesne Dukes men’s basketball team has not been to the NCAA tournament in 40 years. Not since Jimmy Carter was president, “Lavernne & Shirley” was the number one show on TV, and gas was 65 cents a gallon. Not since I was a freshman at Duquesne. And from what I’ve seen It might be another 40 years.I live in Milwaukee so I don't get a chance to see the Dukes play very often.  I watched the game last Saturday (1/21) between Duquesne and Rhode Island. I was excited to be able to see my old school on TV. The game started out competitive, but then URI started to pull away and led by 10 at the half. OK, I thought, 10 points isn’t too bad. Hit some shots and we can maybe get back into the game again. The second half began and it became evident that this game was a joke. URI pulled further and further ahead, and next thing I knew, Duquesne loses by 21. It was embarrassing. And all through the game I’m listening to the announcers calling the game telling me what a hard working coach Jim Ferry is, how the Dukes are a rebuilding team, blah blah blah… Ferry is in his fourth season as coach; it’s time to stop “rebuilding” and time to start winning. His team looked like a Division 3 team out there. Actually I think there are a few D-3 teams that could give the Dukes a run for their money.I’m also still waiting for somebody to explain to me why Ron Everhart, the only coach Duquesne has had since Mike Rice who had a winning record, got fired. In six years he only had one losing season and got his team into post-season tournaments 3 times. I read where he was canned because of “lack of success in the post season.” Well from where I sit you got to GET to the post season to have a chance at success in the post season. And from where I sit, it sure doesn’t look like Coach Ferry is gonna get the boys to the promised land any time soon.Tuesday night I watched the game between Marquette and Villanova. Villanova was ranked number one in the country and at one point led by as much as 17. But Marquette hung tough and started chipping away at the lead. Marquette hustled, played hard, went after rebounds and challenged Villanova’s shots. Eventually Marquette caught and then got ahead of Villanova. They ended up winning 74-72, upsetting the number 1 team in the nation. It was one of the most exciting college basketball games I’ve seen in ages. Marquette and their coach, Steve Wojciechowski, never quit, never gave up, hustled and scrapped their way to a win. The 14,000+ in attendance thought so, too. (BTW, attendance at the DU/URI game looked to be about 2000 in a building that seats, what, 4400? Shameful.)Bottom line, Duquesne once had a proud and powerful men’s basketball team. I’m always proud to mention I’m an alum and a fan. But the way the team is playing these days it’s downright embarrassing. Going 40-plus years between trips to the big dance is ridiculous. Going that long with only a handful of winning seasons is even worse. It’s high time that somebody at that school started giving a **** about the men’s basketball team before alums stop giving a **** about the school.

Last edited by unclemark527 (1/26/2017 5:18 pm)

1/26/2017 5:36 pm  #2

Re: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT

Ferry has been here 5 years, not 4. Also, Marquette beating Villanova was nice (I hate Nova), but Marquette is a power program. Don't underrate them because they stumbled for a few years after a coaching change. That happens a lot. Wojo wouldn't have gone there if they weren't a strong program. Wojo, and guys like him will never come here, and probably not anywhere in the A 10 to be realistic about it. We need a new coach, but it won't be a splash hire, nor does it need to be. It just needs to be the right guy.

1/26/2017 6:57 pm  #3

Mark,
You need to send this to Mr. Harper in an email.
FAM

1/26/2017 7:03 pm  #4

Who is Mr.  Harper?  And how do I get ahold of him? 

1/26/2017 8:48 pm  #5

Hire Ron back...he's just sitting on the bench at WVU with his head in his hands...what a waste of a good coach's talent.  

1/26/2017 9:01 pm  #6

He is the athletic director.

harperd1@duq.edu

1/26/2017 9:01 pm  #7

As a graduate from 1973 and living in California,I agree with Mark's letter 100%I was excited to see both the recent Dayton and Rhode Island games both on tv and they were both blowouts!In my era we had to get to the freshman game an hour before in order to have a seat at the regular game.It doesn't make sense to me how recruiting has been this difficult for 40 years!We are headed right for the Patriots League if we could even get in!It's a damn shame what this program has become!

Thank you,CalErnie-73

1/26/2017 10:27 pm  #8

Hearing from guys like UncleMark and CalErnie makes me weep and sigh at the same time.  There are many more people out there who genuinely care.  This is sad, but we can effectuate change.  Thank you FAM for posting Haper's email address.  Everyone should take 5 minutes, and I will do this tomorrow, to email Harper and probably more importantly email Gormley and ask what we are asking.
Why 40 years without an NCAA appearance?
Why do we have a Coach with Ferry's record?
What is our process for hiring coaches?
How are we demonstrating our commitment to Men's BBall?
Why has there been no change in AD staffing?
Why is there zero student interest (and its not all about W/L record)?
Why hasn't there been a concerted effort to reach out to those alums who supported previously, but have since reluctantly stayed on the sidelines?  Here is an idea, take some of the cash funded to the AD department and send out invitations to every season ticket holder in the last 5 years inviting them to a Q & A with the AD and possibly Gormely concerning the state of Men's BBall.  Hell, they could do it at the Student Union and spend $5k for an open bar and hors d'oeuvres for 2 hours and get a lot of good will.  That is the kind of thing that shows creative (really common sense) thinking and interest in your dwindling constituency/customer.  You could even hold such an event (sans booz, but free food) for student groups. 

Finally, ask the school to acknowledge what a winning BBall program would do for alumni pride, national exposure, increased enrollment, increased alum contributions etc?  This is just fundamentally necessary!

1/27/2017 12:21 am  #9

CalErnie-73 wrote:

As a graduate from 1973 and living in California,I agree with Mark's letter 100%I was excited to see both the recent Dayton and Rhode Island games both on tv and they were both blowouts!In my era we had to get to the freshman game an hour before in order to have a seat at the regular game.It doesn't make sense to me how recruiting has been this difficult for 40 years!We are headed right for the Patriots League if we could even get in!It's a damn shame what this program has become!

Thank you,CalErnie-73

It didn't help that the local talent base dried up at the end of the 70s. Duquesne usually depended a lot on local talent. We've had a handful of decent teams since then, but we really haven't had a truly good team since 1972. 45 years ago. 20-5, and spent time in the Top 20. Little did we know it was the end of an era.

1/27/2017 6:23 am  #10

Happy to see another classmate on the board.

Pete, much as I understand your frustration, I'm personally not ready to confront Dr. Gormley or Mr. Harper (and I know you mean in a respectful way) until the season ends and we see what, if any, actions and comments are forthcoming. I'd prefer any changes be the result of a good plan, for the first time in decades, rather than a need to quell an angry mob.

Or in our case as the last of the long-suffering fans, an angry 2-3 guys.

I really do admire your passion. Amodio has effectively crushed a lot of mine, and while he's gone, the presence of Smalltime Jim keeps me from getting any more engaged again.

1/27/2017 9:08 am  #11

ElDuque wrote:

Happy to see another classmate on the board.

Pete, much as I understand your frustration, I'm personally not ready to confront Dr. Gormley or Mr. Harper (and I know you mean in a respectful way) until the season ends and we see what, if any, actions and comments are forthcoming. I'd prefer any changes be the result of a good plan, for the first time in decades, rather than a need to quell an angry mob.

Or in our case as the last of the long-suffering fans, an angry 2-3 guys.

I really do admire your passion. Amodio has effectively crushed a lot of mine, and while he's gone, the presence of Smalltime Jim keeps me from getting any more engaged again.

El D with much due respect Pistols suggestions to the new AD probably has been the most creative ideas over  the last 15 years. Do you think the crack AD staff has any equivalent suggestions? NO same old Duquesne my friend.

1/27/2017 9:55 am  #12

Good morning - long time viewer, first post in years. I have loved the insights, opinions and news on here.  As a 1973 graduate I can totally relate to the frustration.  I have been a suffering season ticket holder for many years.  I only go now primarily to see the friends I have made in the seats around me.  This has to change.  Agree, see how the season goes but it ain't goin well.  Few mid-game adjustments, little discipline and often no or poor D.  Let me know how I can help.

1/27/2017 10:06 am  #13

Red n Blue:  email the athletic director, MR. Harper.
Here is what isn't mentioned enough...but was above.  A STRONG or even a COMPETITIVE PROGRAM will increase enrollment.  Just be competitive and get to an NIT every couple of years...that is not a lot to ask.
FAM

1/27/2017 12:30 pm  #14

Gents, just to back up what ED said, there is no way Ferry is getting fired during the season so what you see is what you have for the remainder of the season. As frustrated as we are and as bad as it is there is still a university to run. Gormley is very well aware of what is going on but once again what can he do right now but scream along with the rest of us. FAM I couldn't agree more about enrollment and all the positives a rekindling of the Duquesne name would bring but in each of the past 3-5 year time frame the university has had the largest Freshman class in its history. In the long term everyone gets the need but the short term pressure from that standpoint just isn't there.

1/27/2017 12:31 pm  #15

FAM wrote:

Red n Blue: email the athletic director, MR. Harper.
Here is what isn't mentioned enough...but was above. A STRONG or even a COMPETITIVE PROGRAM will increase enrollment. Just be competitive and get to an NIT every couple of years...that is not a lot to ask.
FAM

No one outside of us hardcore fans cares about the NIT. You have to dance in order to gain attention outside of our small circle. When Ron was here, I tried to engage some of my basketball loving friends in conversation about the Dukes. They laughed, and considered the team to be a joke not worthy of their attention. One of the guys who felt this way actually works for Duquesne. They told me they'd pay attention when the team got good, good meaning NCAA Tournament quality. No student is going to come to the Bluff because we made the NIT. The NIT is a nice step when you're rebuilding, but no program in this city is going to thrive by going to the NIT on a regular basis.

1/27/2017 12:53 pm  #16

Duq - I understand your point, but we can't even get to the NIT.  At least if we got there we would gain some attention and the University would get some money.

As far as the freshman class being larger, I don't want to go into the data of it all and I am NOT being insulting, but that is most often affected by the following:
1.  Amount of Financial Aid provided
2.   Academic requirements in terms of College Boards and Regular Grades

But your point is valid.  What will impact the University for increased PR based on a winning sports program is the following:
1.  Donations will increase - more of a presence throughout the country with name recognition
2.  Standards can be raised which translates into higher recognition in US News and World Report, and other books listing University Standards.
3.  Winning begets winning as losing begets losing.  Let's face it, Really good bball players don't want to come to Duquesne.  But if you win - better players will want to come here.

There is more but I don't want to bore anyone more than I already have!  I don't believe anyone expects Ferry to be let go during the year.  The question will be, if he has a losing season, and I said "if" as it is not over...will he then be let go.

1/27/2017 1:06 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Red n Blue: email the athletic director, MR. Harper.
Here is what isn't mentioned enough...but was above. A STRONG or even a COMPETITIVE PROGRAM will increase enrollment. Just be competitive and get to an NIT every couple of years...that is not a lot to ask.
FAM

No one outside of us hardcore fans cares about the NIT. You have to dance in order to gain attention outside of our small circle. When Ron was here, I tried to engage some of my basketball loving friends in conversation about the Dukes. They laughed, and considered the team to be a joke not worthy of their attention. One of the guys who felt this way actually works for Duquesne. They told me they'd pay attention when the team got good, good meaning NCAA Tournament quality. No student is going to come to the Bluff because we made the NIT. The NIT is a nice step when you're rebuilding, but no program in this city is going to thrive by going to the NIT on a regular basis.

As someone who attended George mason for my freshman year just a couple years after their final four run, I can confirm that basketball success creates interest in schools that some may otherwise just ignore.

1/27/2017 1:09 pm  #18

http://education.seattlepi.com/importance-college-athletic-programs-universities-1749.html

http://classroom.synonym.com/importance-college-athletic-programs-universities-3523.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2013/04/29/the-flutie-effect-how-athletic-success-boosts-college-applications/?client=safari

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2015/11/23/running-up-the-bills/

I've been beating this drum for a long time and I'll say it again, I could pull articles like this all day. Someone in this athletic department needs to start showing they care because I am dangerously close to not caring myself.

"Boston College’s greatest marketing campaign lasted about six seconds."

From the Forbes article. Look what beating Pitt got us for 15 minutes. Every local media outlet talking about Duquesne and exponential increased interest in our program, however short lived it was.

Last edited by Duques102 (1/27/2017 1:14 pm)

1/27/2017 1:59 pm  #19

This is a great discussion ladies and gentlemen, much more constructive than the usual  critical jabs at the coaches and the program.  I have long been a proponent of a strong basketball program and its benefits.  The links provided above corroborate that point.  The timing couldn't be better for Duquesne to make a strong move in basketball.  Pitt has dominated the local college basketball scene for decades, but they are currently struggling mightily and Duquesne's victory over Pitt this season further detracts from their invincibility in the City.

The City of Pittsburgh has a great positive vibe going, and is being recognized nationally as a great jewel and even a travel destination.  It has great restaurants, entertainment, nightlife, a growing technology sector, recreational opportunities, and still reasonable from a cost of living standpoint.  Duquesne has certainly benefitted from this resurgence in the City of Pittsburgh, but it could also be a player in college basketball which would enhance the reputation of the University and the City of Pittsburgh.  No matter how positive enrollment figures may be, Pittsburghers still always question why Duquesne  cannot seem to figure what it takes to manage its basketball program in a professional manner.  It is a question that seems to be brought up constantly when I mention that I graduated from Duquesne; and I don't have a reasonable answer.  It should not be that difficult to accomplish.

1/27/2017 7:16 pm  #20

I also want to applaud all of you who continue to stick around and support the team. When they become successful we will deserve every second of it.  

Roll Dukes Roll

Board footera