Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2017 10:22 am  #26

Re: Could Duquesne get lucky?

phil95 wrote:

As usual, your global grasp of the issues & razor sharp insights have allowed me to better understand a complicated situation. I was way too focused on the increase in endowment, physical plant, enrollment, graduate programs, research grants, & general academic standards when assessing the tenure of the past president. 

I'm happy that Dougherty did his job (that was his job, wasn't it?). But along the way he was not without missteps that did cause some damage to the reputation of the university. His going-away gift to students was to label those who lived off campus as "libertine." The issues around part-time faculty, the firing of certain deans, etc., that I got to read about from afar that gave me some concerns about my alma mater. And I disagreed with some of the decisions that he made.

All of these things are certainly more important than basketball, although I suspect that you care about the program or you wouldn't be on this board actively.

I respect your thoughts and opinions.  I ask you to not resort to personal attacks to try to discredit me or my opinions, though.

2/07/2017 10:51 am  #27

president wrote:

I think Duke, N. Carolina, Villanova, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Ohio State, (I could go on for days) have great academic institutions and still manage to win a few basketball games along the way as well. Heck, Villanova is a catholic university not much larger than Duquesne. As a graduate (School of Music, '69) I am proud of my degree from Duquesne and proud of the many academic accomplishments of the university That is no reason to accept the crap basketball program that we have. Strong sports only enhance the public image of colleges and universities and make for a better student experience. As graduates of the university and sports fans, I think we would simply like to take some  pride in the signature sport on campus. For me it's about pride in the school. DU should strive for excellence in every endeavor. Obviously, this is nowhere near a priority and what upsets me the most about this unfortunate basketball program. We could do better but not sure that is going to happen here ever.

All very true.

2/07/2017 11:17 am  #28

ElDuque wrote:

phil95 wrote:

As usual, your global grasp of the issues & razor sharp insights have allowed me to better understand a complicated situation. I was way too focused on the increase in endowment, physical plant, enrollment, graduate programs, research grants, & general academic standards when assessing the tenure of the past president. 

I'm happy that Dougherty did his job (that was his job, wasn't it?). But along the way he was not without missteps that did cause some damage to the reputation of the university. His going-away gift to students was to label those who lived off campus as "libertine." The issues around part-time faculty, the firing of certain deans, etc., that I got to read about from afar that gave me some concerns about my alma mater. And I disagreed with some of the decisions that he made.

All of these things are certainly more important than basketball, although I suspect that you care about the program or you wouldn't be on this board actively.

I respect your thoughts and opinions.  I ask you to not resort to personal attacks to try to discredit me or my opinions, though.

You show very little respect for thoughts & opinions that jibe not with your own & launch more personal attacks than any other poster. 

2/07/2017 3:15 pm  #29

phil95 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

phil95 wrote:

You show very little respect for thoughts & opinions that jibe not with your own & launch more personal attacks than any other poster. 

Been a long, long, long, long time since I did anything like that. If I've done such a thing to you recently or ever, please accept my apology.

As I said, I respect your posts and opinions.

2/07/2017 5:34 pm  #30

phil95 wrote:

Even though he didn't prioritize the basketball program as much as we may have liked, Charlie was recognized far & wide by his peers as an outstanding university president for DU & has a national reputation as a scholar..  The criticism he gets here is narrow minded, mean-spirited, & based on jumbled priorities. 

It is a university with a basketball team; not the other way around.

For the purposes of my response, I'm assuming that my recent post is one of those you are characterizing as " narrow minded, mean spirited and based on jumbled priorities". I assume that because your post follows immediately behind mine. If my assumption is correct, I would like to point out that this is a message board to discuss the D1 basketball program at Duquesne - not any other aspect or area of the University. As such, it is appropriate to discuss Dr. Dougherty's role, actions and behavior as they relate to the basketball program. The circumstances surrounding Ron Everhart's firing were, to use your words that were repeat of my words, mean spirited and embarrassing. Dr. Dougherty played the major role in that fiasco because he was the boss, he approved the firing and he's the one who refused to give Everhart time to get another job. I know you think it was appropriate for Ron to get fired. That is not the issue, although I believe Ron did enough to earn the chance to save his job. The issue is the handling of the firing which the media almost to a man and many A10 coaches were highly critical about. I have no comment about Dr. Daugherty's accomplishments in other areas of the University, but he failed as a leader in the circumstances surrounding Everhart's termination. His judgement in not recognizing Amodio's disdain for Ron as a major factor in his recommendation to fire him, accepting his choice for Ron's replacement and offering a 6 year $ 600K+ contract to a coach with a. 500 record in lower level conference all speak to his failures as a leader with respect to the basketball program. Hence, I make no apologies for my post criticizing Dr. Daugherty.

You don't have to tell me that Duquesne is a University with a basketball team and not the other way around. But I don't think I have to tell you the enormous returns that a successful basketball program can bring to a University like  Duquesne. Xavier knows, Gonzaga knows, Villanova knows and closer to home Dayton knows. It was and is a failure of leadership to allow the abject failure of Duquesne basketball to occur and continue as it has for so many years. And that's notwithstanding success in other areas of the University..

2/07/2017 5:51 pm  #31

What did the "leaked memo" about RE say?  I'm curious...

Last edited by unclemark527 (2/07/2017 5:51 pm)

2/07/2017 6:16 pm  #32

2/07/2017 6:39 pm  #33

Yes, DU is a university with a basketball team and not the other way around. And I'm pretty sure that it has a higher academic stature than when I went there. I'm glad of that. But it shouldn't be doing anything that embarrasses itself, and we haven't had that much to be proud about with respect to this program for a long time. Why do colleges have sports in the first place? From my casual observation I come up with a short list of reasons but none of the reasons on my list include losing as an objective.

I know there are posters on this site who say that if such and such happens then they are giving up on this program. I hope I never give up on this program if for no other reason than I'm not going back to college! The only college class I plan to take is to cash in my senior citizens' benefit of free tuition at the local community college to take Political Science 101 which I never took when I was a DU. But if these folks don't get going, then I'm going to experience our next winning season while playing a harp on a cloud or dodging the eternal flames on the wrong side of the Great Abyss!

2/07/2017 7:25 pm  #34

Westender wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Even though he didn't prioritize the basketball program as much as we may have liked, Charlie was recognized far & wide by his peers as an outstanding university president for DU & has a national reputation as a scholar..  The criticism he gets here is narrow minded, mean-spirited, & based on jumbled priorities. 

For the purposes of my response, I'm assuming that my recent post is one of those you are characterizing as " narrow minded, mean spirited and based on jumbled priorities". I assume that because your post follows immediately behind mine. If my assumption is correct, I would like to point out that this is a message board to discuss the D1 basketball program at Duquesne - not any other aspect or area of the University. As such, it is appropriate to discuss Dr. Dougherty's role, actions and behavior as they relate to the basketball program. The circumstances surrounding Ron Everhart's firing were, to use your words that were repeat of my words, mean spirited and embarrassing. Dr. Dougherty played the major role in that fiasco because he was the boss, he approved the firing and he's the one who refused to give Everhart time to get another job. I know you think it was appropriate for Ron to get fired. That is not the issue, although I believe Ron did enough to earn the chance to save his job. The issue is the handling of the firing which the media almost to a man and many A10 coaches were highly critical about. I have no comment about Dr. Daugherty's accomplishments in other areas of the University, but he failed as a leader in the circumstances surrounding Everhart's termination. His judgement in not recognizing Amodio's disdain for Ron as a major factor in his recommendation to fire him, accepting his choice for Ron's replacement and offering a 6 year $ 600K+ contract to a coach with a. 500 record in lower level conference all speak to his failures as a leader with respect to the basketball program. Hence, I make no apologies for my post criticizing Dr. Daugherty.

You don't have to tell me that Duquesne is a University with a basketball team and not the other way around. But I don't think I have to tell you the enormous returns that a successful basketball program can bring to a University like  Duquesne. Xavier knows, Gonzaga knows, Villanova knows and closer to home Dayton knows. It was and is a failure of leadership to allow the abject failure of Duquesne basketball to occur and continue as it has for so many years. And that's notwithstanding success in other areas of the University..

I had no issue with your previous post & I agree with everything you said in this one.. It just happened to go in that order. 

2/07/2017 7:27 pm  #35

ElDuque wrote:

phil95 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Been a long, long, long, long time since I did anything like that. If I've done such a thing to you recently or ever, please accept my apology.

As I said, I respect your posts and opinions.

Works for me. Go Dukes!

2/07/2017 8:54 pm  #36

phil95 wrote:

Westender wrote:

phil95 wrote:

I had no issue with your previous post & I agree with everything you said in this one.. It just happened to go in that order. 

​Thanks for your response Phil. I appreciate it. Happy to see that you understand my perspective on the subject.

Board footera