Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

UPCOMING GAMES:
Lipscomb @ Duquesne - Nov. 4 - 8:00 PM
Princeton @ Duquesne - Nov. 8 - 8:30 PM
Dukes @ DePaul - Nov. 15 - 9:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2017 6:44 am  #1

A-10 Tourney Opening Round - Saint Louis Game Thread

8:30pm estimated tip Wednesday at PPG Paints Arena. Per KenPom:
Dukes #218 (10-21; 3-15 14th) vs  Saint Louis #277 (11-20; 6-12 11th)
Saint Louis is ranked 14th of 14 in the A-10; Dukes ranked 13th of 14.
Game prediction: Dukes by 3, 67-64 - Dukes with a 62% probability of a win.

Betting line: Dukes by 2½
Saint Louis 17-11 against the spread; Dukes 10-13-1 ATS.

Loser goes home.  Winner plays #6 George Washington at 8:30pm on Thursday.

3/08/2017 11:33 am  #2

Re: A-10 Tourney Opening Round - Saint Louis Game Thread

Even though I believe a coaching change is necessary I can never root against the Dukes.  I would like to see these guys come out playing loose and with confidence and destroy SLU.  Who knows if Ferry can move on and make it to the finals he may yet save his job.  Go Dukes!

3/08/2017 11:45 am  #3

CLK wrote:

Even though I believe a coaching change is necessary I can never root against the Dukes.  I would like to see these guys come out playing loose and with confidence and destroy SLU.  Who knows if Ferry can move on and make it to the finals he may yet save his job.  Go Dukes!

finals? Really? I'll give you 10,000 to 1 against that.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2017 11:54 am  #4

CLK wrote:

I echo CLK & to quote a famous poet for those of us hopelessly addicted Dukes Fans to this mess ... and our Lenten Run to the A-10 Tourny Championship this week in Pgh ....

"Look at me,
I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree;
And I feel like I'm clingin' to a cloud,
I can' t understand
I get misty, just holding your hand.

Walk my way,
And a thousand violins begin to play,
Or it might be the sound of your hello,
That music I hear,
I get misty, the moment you're near.

Can't you see that you're leading me on?
And it's just what I want you to do,
Don't you notice how hopelessly
I'm lost
That's why I'm following you.

On my own,
When I wander through this wonderland alone,
Never knowing my right foot from my left
My hat from my glove
I'm too misty, and too much in love."

3/08/2017 12:00 pm  #5

Box & One wrote:

CLK wrote:

I echo CLK & to quote a famous poet for those of us hopelessly addicted Dukes Fans to this mess ... and our Lenten Run to the A-10 Tourny Championship this week in Pgh ....

"Look at me,
I can' t understand

Walk my way,
That music I hear,

I'm lost

On my own,
My hat from my glove

Just watched a documentary on Patsy Cline last night on PBS:  "Crazy......Crazy for loving you"  kind of appropriate here. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2017 12:30 pm  #6

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Box & One wrote:

CLK wrote:

"Look at me,
I can' t understand

Walk my way,
That music I hear,

I'm lost

On my own,
My hat from my glove

Just watched a documentary on Patsy Cline last night on PBS:  "Crazy......Crazy for loving you"  kind of appropriate here. 

Oh Brother!

I think for many of us it is more like.

3/08/2017 1:38 pm  #7

Slightly off topic, but the A10 championships in Pittsburgh broke the record for most ticket revenue in A10 history. Good news for the city, as they will likely be back at some point.

3/08/2017 2:04 pm  #8

If JF pulls off a finals appearance in the A10 tourney, I would have to admit that he might deserve another year. You don't know how much it pains me to write that! Most likely all  a moot point.

3/08/2017 2:43 pm  #9

Dukes2012 wrote:

Slightly off topic, but the A10 championships in Pittsburgh broke the record for most ticket revenue in A10 history. Good news for the city, as they will likely be back at some point.

Yup, heard on the radio today it was well over a million in ticket sales.

3/08/2017 2:48 pm  #10

president wrote:

If JF pulls off a finals appearance in the A10 tourney, I would have to admit that he might deserve another year. You don't know how much it pains me to write that! Most likely all  a moot point.

I would agree with that with one difference, they have the win the whole thing for me to think it would be a good idea to bring him back.

3/08/2017 2:54 pm  #11

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211515998
I'm honestly shocked this event is doing so well. That's really impressive considered the tournament hasn't even started yet

ATLANTIC 10 BREAKS THE $1 MILLION MARK IN MEN’S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TICKET SALES

Last edited by yak-rbc (3/08/2017 2:55 pm)

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/08/2017 4:23 pm  #12

yak-rbc wrote:

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211515998
I'm honestly shocked this event is doing so well. That's really impressive considered the tournament hasn't even started yet

ATLANTIC 10 BREAKS THE $1 MILLION MARK IN MEN’S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TICKET SALES

Duquesne's cut for hosting the tourney should fully fund Ferrys buyot?????? Anyone????

Last edited by Duques102 (3/08/2017 4:23 pm)

3/08/2017 5:37 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

Agreed.  If there was ever a tournament bracket designed for a miraculous run, a la 1977, this could be it.  After losing three straight heartbreakers and going something like 0-8 in games that came down to the final couple of possessions, the Dukes are way, way overdue. 

If we can get past the Billikens tonight, I think the Dukes would have a decent shot against GWU in the second round.  We lost a 65-63 heartbreaker there when Castro's deep three-point shot bounced off the rim at the buzzer and we closed within 3 points of the Colonials with under two minutes to go at Palumbo a month later.  As you know, it's difficult, if not nearly impossible, to beat a team three times in the same season.  

In any case, once we dispense of GWU I think we'd have at least an outside chance against Richmond in the quarterfinals; we played them tough on the road and — as some of you may recall — led by three, 71-68, with nine minutes remaining before succumbing, 101-90. There's no way T.J. Cline will have the kind of game again that he had that night at the Robins Center when he scored 34 points and posted his first triple-double of the season. 

Having lost 20 of the last 21 games to the Spiders, we are so overdue against them that it's not funny. If given an opportunity, I think the Dukes can beat them. 

So, that brings us to the semi-finals where, again, we'd have at least a puncher's chance, especially if George Mason or Fordham could sneak past VCU in the quarterfinals. I think we could handle Fordham and I'm sure the Dukes would love another opportunity to play the Patriots after last Wednesday's horribly officiated nail-biter at GMU (even after Saturday's game, Jim Ferry was still railing about how Mike Lewis was fouled twice on that final drive in Fairfax). 

Then again, people seem to forget that we played VCU pretty tough in early January, losing 94-87 in a game where we missed 10 — count 'em, ten — shots from the charity stripe, including the front end of a couple of one-on-ones, while Isaiah Mike inexplicably sat on the bench for a quarter of the game.  If the Dukes hadn't dug such a deep hole in the second half, falling behind by as many as 18 points before rallying to cut it down to six with still plenty of time left, that game might have gone down to the wire, too.   

The fact is that the Dukes would have so much adrenalin at that point that anything could happen. Oh, well, it's nice to dream.  As we're all painfully aware, the Dukes have lost an unusually large number of heartbreakers this season.  Let's hope they've been saving all of their last-minute heroics for the A-10 Tourney. 

As far as I'm concerned, if Coach Ferry can miraculously turn this otherwise miserable and disappointing season into a fairy tale, he can stay at Duquesne forever. 

BEAT THE BILLIKENS!

LET'S GO DUQUESNE!

Last edited by IronDukes12 (3/08/2017 6:26 pm)

3/08/2017 6:51 pm  #14

How irrelevant is Duquesne Basketball?  Another reason we need to replace our coach and do the Palumbo update?
I just watched KDKA television Sports - it is the most watched station in Pittsburgh for sake of argument.
They talked about every sport there is and basketball - Pitt - Duquesne's game tonight was never even mentioned.  Now, part of this falls on Duquesne's media department, but if you have a product that people care about you don't have to nag people to talk about your team.

3/08/2017 7:30 pm  #15

Is the game on TV?

3/08/2017 7:37 pm  #16

It's being televised on ASN, the American Sports Network. 

If you don't get that network, it's also being livestreamed on ASN here:

http://americansportsnet.com/news/video/live-now-a10-mens-basketball-first-round

3/08/2017 8:22 pm  #17

There were more people here and more excitement for the first game.  Embarrassing for Duquesne. I made my way down though.

3/08/2017 8:55 pm  #18

Startin out real hot

3/08/2017 9:24 pm  #19

Getting a lot of FTs for a change. Not playing that well defensively except for Big Darius blocking shots. Smith having a good game.

3/08/2017 10:27 pm  #20

Twice had 18 point leads.  See you Jimmy

3/08/2017 10:31 pm  #21

That was just cruel. This program is cursed. There's no other explanation.

3/08/2017 10:31 pm  #22

You got to be kidding me. If that doesn't put the nail in the coffin, Ferry must be a vampire.

3/08/2017 10:32 pm  #23

Haha! Ferry ends his career at Duquesne with a signature loss. Classic Jim!

3/08/2017 10:37 pm  #24

Another season comes to an end!  Why can't we seem to buy a close game?  I do like our nucleus of players, but I don't think this coach can win at this level.  Hope to see everyone here next season for lively discussion of our Dukes.  Take care.

3/08/2017 10:37 pm  #25

there are no words.

actually, there are words, but i don't believe they are allowed on this board.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

Board footera