Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2017 9:09 am  #226

Re: New coach thread

CLK wrote:

Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley could be emerging as leading UMass basketball coaching candidate

I was hoping we could wrap this guy up.  I would hate to see him in the A10 with UMass. I hope Harper is going after him hard. The article also mentions Tony Barbee as a DU candidate.

http://www.gazettenet.com/Coahcing-Search-could-move-fast-for-UMass-now-8757376

Barbee would be a huge mistake.  I don't believe he is really a candiate.  His record at Auburn makes me cringe.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Barbee

"The Barbee era at Auburn was fraught with off the court issues. Following the 2011–12 season, Auburn point guard Varez Ward was arrested on charges of point shaving.[13] Of the 21 players that Barbee signed while at Auburn, only 9 remained on his roster in his 4th season due to player dismissals and transfers.[14]

Barbee was fired on March 12, 2014, minutes after losing in the first round of the SEC Tournament to South Carolina 74–56.[15] He finished with a cumulative record of 49–75 (.395), the lowest winning percentage of any Auburn head coach with more than a two-season tenure."

From Wikipedia. Yeah, no thanks. Same winning % at Auburn as Ferry here.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/18/2017 9:11 am)

3/18/2017 9:14 am  #227

CLK wrote:

Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley could be emerging as leading UMass basketball coaching candidate

I was hoping we could wrap this guy up.  I would hate to see him in the A10 with UMass. I hope Harper is going after him hard. The article also mentions Tony Barbee as a DU candidate.

Barbee would be a huge mistake.  I don't believe he is really a candiate.  His record at Auburn makes me cringe.  

The idea of Barbee is ridiculous. If they can't do any better than that, they should have kept Ferry. If UMass is going after Dooley, Becker should be available. If they can't get Becker, or one of the other rising stars, there are better retreads out there than Barbee. How are they gonna energize the fanbase with a hire like that. That would be worse than Pitt hiring Stallings.

3/18/2017 9:28 am  #228

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

The idea of Barbee is ridiculous. If they can't do any better than that, they should have kept Ferry. If UMass is going after Dooley, Becker should be available. If they can't get Becker, or one of the other rising stars, there are better retreads out there than Barbee. How are they gonna energize the fanbase with a hire like that. That would be worse than Pitt hiring Stallings.

I honestly do not think that Barbee is a candidate.  The thing is that while you want to do a thorough search, time is not DU's friend as there will most likely be more coaching vacancies.  What I hope is happening is that Harper has his main three or four main targets and he is going hard after them. He can't waste time like Amodio did focusing on one guy who strung him out until he got a pay raise.  If there is no interest from his main targets he should have fall back picks.

3/18/2017 9:44 am  #229

A UMass writer saying that Barbee is "reportedly" a candidate...  Reported by whom, Barbee?  Cause it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else. Just creating a candidate out of nothing by connecting the dots... Harper says he would like a guy with head coaching experience and a connection to the A-10. -- duh, Tony fits that bill. Let's print it!

3/18/2017 9:47 am  #230

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

A UMass writer saying that Barbee is "reportedly" a candidate...  Reported by whom, Barbee?  Cause it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else. Just creating a candidate out of nothing by connecting the dots... Harper says he would like a guy with head coaching experience and a connection to the A-10. -- duh, Tony fits that bill. Let's print it!

I hope you're right. I can come up with twenty candidates better than him.

3/18/2017 9:58 am  #231

CLK wrote:

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I honestly do not think that Barbee is a candidate.  The thing is that while you want to do a thorough search, time is not DU's friend as there will most likely be more coaching vacancies.  What I hope is happening is that Harper has his main three or four main targets and he is going hard after them. He can't waste time like Amodio did focusing on one guy who strung him out until he got a pay raise.  If there is no interest from his main targets he should have fall back picks.

CLK, Harper has been compiling his targeted coaches list for nearly 18 months; he was hoping that he would not have to use it - that Ferry would succeed. He started getting serious about this list back in December; and has had 3+ weeks to formalize since the decision (not the announcement) was made to find a new coach.

Just as Harper stated publicly what type of coach he is looking to get at Duquesne, coaches let their own agents/reps/lawyers know what type of program and money they would consider for a new job. There has been chatter going through these back channels between the search firm/ Harper and these reps to gauge interest.

The direct contact can begin when the coaches season is over, like it is for Dooley and Becker.

3/18/2017 11:14 am  #232

Phoenix, I am sure he has his targets in scope. One name I have not heard anything of connected to DU is Nathan Davis from Bucknell. I hope he is one of the main targets.

3/18/2017 11:42 am  #233

CLK wrote:

Phoenix, I am sure he has his targets in scope. One name I have not heard anything of connected to DU is Nathan Davis from Bucknell. I hope he is one of the main targets.

Agree with this. His name should be high on the list.

3/18/2017 12:03 pm  #234

Agree on Bucknell's Nate Davis. I really like the arc of his resume and his teams are disciplined and well-coached. Might need a solid recruiting assistant to make the jump up.

3/18/2017 12:11 pm  #235

ElDuque wrote:

Mulder, I don't follow Rutgers closely so when the troubles started for  Rice they caught me off guard. If I remember, though, the school also had issues with its football coach at the same time, along with some AD problems. The video is pretty damning, of course, and not to excuse his actions but I grew up playing football and frankly saw worse. I understand the concerns that some folks have, but I'm not opposed to giving someone a second chance. Rice recruits well and he's a good coach. As someone pointed out earlier, Lonergan is a similar situation, although it seems to be more of a he said-he said situation.

​My preference would be to get the MBB version of Dan Burt. That guy recruits, coaches the hell out of he team, and is an ambassador for the program and the University.

Have you been to a Women's game in the last 4 years? Dan burt doesn't even coach. He is Chris Mullin of MBB. Ill give you that he is a good recruiter but he doesn't coach what so ever. The assistants do all the "on floor coaching". He has even stated this is numerous pressers that he has an offensive and defensive coordinator..  You can't compare MBB+WBB two different sports, businesses ETC. Apples and oranges. 

Last edited by Steel city AJ (3/18/2017 12:12 pm)

3/18/2017 3:40 pm  #236

Steel city AJ wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Mulder, I don't follow Rutgers closely so when the troubles started for  Rice they caught me off guard. If I remember, though, the school also had issues with its football coach at the same time, along with some AD problems. The video is pretty damning, of course, and not to excuse his actions but I grew up playing football and frankly saw worse. I understand the concerns that some folks have, but I'm not opposed to giving someone a second chance. Rice recruits well and he's a good coach. As someone pointed out earlier, Lonergan is a similar situation, although it seems to be more of a he said-he said situation.

​My preference would be to get the MBB version of Dan Burt. That guy recruits, coaches the hell out of he team, and is an ambassador for the program and the University.

Have you been to a Women's game in the last 4 years? Dan burt doesn't even coach. He is Chris Mullin of MBB. Ill give you that he is a good recruiter but he doesn't coach what so ever. The assistants do all the "on floor coaching". He has even stated this is numerous pressers that he has an offensive and defensive coordinator..  You can't compare MBB+WBB two different sports, businesses ETC. Apples and oranges. 

Yes I have. Last year, I brought a group of Duquesne alumni and my son-in-law to see the Dukes play Lafayette. I was offered an opportunity to be an honorary assistant coach and sit on the bench, but turned it down because I get kinda loud and obnoxious rooting for my team. I didn't want to be responsible for Duquesne getting technical fouls.

We were loud. We cheered for our Dukes, scolded the Mister Magoo guys who refed the game, and cheered some more for our Dukes. I did indeed observe Burt's method of managing a game via offensive, defensive and ST coordinators, so to speak. If you look on our WBB postings, I have pointed this out several times. I have also seen every televised game for the past couple of years. And I saw them play at Lehigh once, too. Brought my daughter and sat with the players' parents.

Coach Burt speaks with each player as she enters and exits the game.It is clear that he provides individual encouragement and instruction. That is also part of coaching,

​And basketball is basketball. You can't say NL baseball and AL baseball are different because one has a DH and the other has the double-switch. The game is still baseball. Three strikes, three outs, nine innings. You yourself compared Burt to Chris Mullin. The "difference" is that the women play the game similarly to the way European men play: passing the ball, looking for open shots, playing defense, etc. Not making everything about dunking and shooting epic threes. But still putting ball in the basket and trying to stop the other team.

3/18/2017 4:28 pm  #237

Keatts was signed by NC St reportedly 6 years, 13.2m. that's a lot more money than we could throw around

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/18/2017 4:57 pm  #238

I know this isn't the proper thread to say Coach Burt doesn't coach because he delegates roles to assistants is a little absurd to me. 

Players develop under Coach Burt.   Players get better under him.  I can name the list but it is long.    He is in charge during the timeouts.   Because assistants are calling out defensive and offensive sets seems to work really well.

Burt said in an interview once that he didn't want to be the type of head coach where the assistants just sit there during the game. (See SMS style for example). 

Saying all Burt does is recruit is silly.

3/18/2017 5:46 pm  #239

duqkurt wrote:

I know this isn't the proper thread to say Coach Burt doesn't coach because he delegates roles to assistants is a little absurd to me.

Players develop under Coach Burt. Players get better under him. I can name the list but it is long. He is in charge during the timeouts. Because assistants are calling out defensive and offensive sets seems to work really well.

Burt said in an interview once that he didn't want to be the type of head coach where the assistants just sit there during the game. (See SMS style for example).

Saying all Burt does is recruit is silly.

You beat me to it.  In the 4 years Burt has been the head coach, I've missed maybe 5 women's home games & always sit behind the bench when I'm there.  Believe me, he coaches.

3/18/2017 5:49 pm  #240

ElDuque wrote:

​Wonder if Rice would do a "co-coach" arrangement like at Patrick.  He must know he's damaged goods and if he wants back into college ball will need to spend at least 3 years sub-mid major. At best.  And then at best -- assuming all goes well -- a mid major jump.  What if Duquesne pairs him up with someone like Bill Clark who has institutional ties -- hell, why not Burt -- and says their goal is for him to be successful enough that he has Power 5 offers in three or four years.  Use that time to get somebody prepped to take over the top job straight up if he is successful enough to pump some life into the muck that currently exists.

3/18/2017 6:22 pm  #241

Just throwing this out there: Rob Jeter. Currently an assistant at UNLV. Was head coach at UW-Milwaukee for 11 seasons. Took them to the dance a couple of times. Had to work in a market where Marquette is dominant. Might not be a bad fit for the Dukes.

3/18/2017 6:44 pm  #242

It doesn't matter. Keats was never in our wheelhouse; seriously, would a guy like Keats leave UNCW with two straight NCAA trips to take a job in the A-10?.  Keats was obviously ready to make the move to a Power 5 conference with NC State.

3/18/2017 7:02 pm  #243

Sideline Hoops suggesting Amodio narrowing his list including Albany's Brown, Becker and Andy Toole as candidates for Quinnipiac.

3/18/2017 8:09 pm  #244

Unless they are paying s boatload of money, I don't see any of those three taking that job.  I always thought that Brown did a great job at Albany.  Becker obviously doing good work at Vermont, just seems like a lateral move for these three guys.

3/18/2017 8:35 pm  #245

levon1975 wrote:

Unless they are paying s boatload of money, I don't see any of those three taking that job. I always thought that Brown did a great job at Albany. Becker obviously doing good work at Vermont, just seems like a lateral move for these three guys.

If Becker is actually considering Quinnipiac, we ought to be able to get him easily. If he goes there, and we bring in some retread like Tony Barbee, I'll find something else to do sportswise mid winter.

Villanova lost today! All is right with the world!

3/18/2017 11:21 pm  #246

Given some of the connections that members of this board have with the program, I'm surprised we haven't heard much of anything about the coaching search. Harper must be playing his cards pretty close to his vest.

3/19/2017 12:36 am  #247

Dukes2012 wrote:

Given some of the connections that members of this board have with the program, I'm surprised we haven't heard much of anything about the coaching search. Harper must be playing his cards pretty close to his vest.

I'd guess that some of the candidates were coaching in the NCAAs. All of those teams have been eliminated, so I expect things to get serious this week.

3/19/2017 6:55 am  #248

Unconfirmed reports of white smoke coming from Old Main.

3/19/2017 8:51 am  #249

Funny, but in reference to rumors It's much better to avoid them and keep the search private.  That is a challenge today; but best for the candidates and the school

3/19/2017 11:07 am  #250

Ryan Dunleavy 

Ryan Dunleavy Retweeted Keith SargeantSource says #Monmouth[/url] coach King Rice a top candidate at Duquesne. [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rutgers?src=hash]#Rutgers[/url] assistant Brandin Knight too. Possible return to [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/pitt?src=hash]#pitt area.

Last edited by CLK (3/19/2017 11:08 am)

Board footera