Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2017 8:36 pm  #26

Re: We have a coach

I have to feel bad for Harper.  He is doing a professional search but being undermined by fake news (King Rice), irresponsible journalist, and a host of idiots on twitter.  From what we can stitch together and verify is that King Rice was never a candidate, and Becker, Fife, and Whitford may have received offers but do not know in what order.  If you were to believe the pundits on twitter and the local wannabe reporters it is a "hot mess" as one blogger characterized it and it is just the opposite.  Just crazy as we watch the reporting zoo.

3/23/2017 8:50 pm  #27

CLK wrote:

Got to wonder how a guy like Jeff Goodman could report this.  He is a nationally respected sports writer (not a wannabe lazy pretender like Zeise).  The only thing I can think of is that there was a memorandum of understanding entered into by both parties, and that they were meeting tonight to finalize the contract.  As UMass can attest it ain't over till the fat lady sings, and even then it's not over.

I said it in the new coach thread wondering it, now I'm really starting to believe someone close to this search is leaking these candidates names to various media and claiming it to be done or nearly done when it is not at that stage to make all involved look bad.

/tinfoil hat

3/23/2017 8:57 pm  #28

And I certainly don't want to let the media off the hook as the comedy of errors and rush to "report" stuff has been a total joke.

3/23/2017 9:49 pm  #29

I shouldn't link this type of stuff since God knows he might turn us down, but check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLNUTpc5z3g

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/23/2017 9:51 pm  #30

Does anyone think that someone on the inside is leaking premature info to the media to make the search look bad? Paranoia, I guess, on my part.
Edit: sorry, I missed the above post that said virtually the same thing. So, I am not the only one who is paranoid! 
Edit #2. If my paranoia is correct, then clean out the entire Palumbo staffs, including those that run the building, as others have suggested.

Last edited by HookShot (3/23/2017 10:15 pm)

3/23/2017 10:48 pm  #31

Ball State is 12-12 the last two seasons Feb/Mar, and then 2-2 in CIT play those years. That's slightly concerning to me. That's not at the level of epic collapses that we've seen, but it's certainly below the bar set earlier in those seasons by those teams. I don't know how much of that to give to the level that Ball State plays. Doesn't mean he's wrong, either. I think it's just easy to be wired for skepticism with DU Hoops.

Last edited by TheFace (3/23/2017 10:50 pm)

3/23/2017 10:56 pm  #32

I think we can all agree that this (potential) hire is sort of the vanilla ice cream of our search.  It doesn't scream exciting like we all wanted, but it isn't a total downer either.  

One area of concern I have is his SOS.  He played some crappy teams OOC to get to his 20 wins.  Then again, Ferry lost to those teams, so we would probably be happy with the wins.  

Last edited by Simms (3/23/2017 11:01 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/24/2017 1:15 am  #33

Go to the Ball State website and look at their arena and ask which school is committed to a basketball program.

3/24/2017 4:46 am  #34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzYN7g-25Mk... last video posted about their 2017 Season...

3/24/2017 4:56 am  #35

My one concern? Who did he beat? In the last two years, which record-wise may have been great years for Ball State, their non-conference schedule is very weak, and they didn't beat any of the Big 3 MAC teams (Akron, Ohio, Kent State). 1-2 in the MAC tourney in that time.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/24/2017 4:58 am  #36

It's OK. The Ghost-OfItself has grossly misrepresented the state of Duquesne basketball. At last one columnist. And I've been disappointed that a former beat writer has taken a couple shots at the program. This is a case of reporters being the news, if their reporting has had negative effects on DU's ability to hire a coach.

I'd follow Zach Weiss. He continues to do a great job covering Duquesne.

3/24/2017 6:36 am  #37

I think its just a matter of perspective

DUQ is not a good job right now, and for as much as we are taking a chance on this hire, the new coach is gambling with his career as well.(if you were a manager of a local target with a chance to move into a regional manager position in 2 years, would you quit to go to work for sears, knowing sears may go out of business at any time?)

You can pretty much sift thru all the "great choices" we have mentioned and poke holes in their resumes for one reason or another, have concerns for one reason or another...fact is, they don't want to come here.

I just think this is a solid hire and want to get behind him bc he wants to be here. he wants to take a chance. 

3/24/2017 8:36 am  #38

I think this is an excellent hire for Duquesne (if it comes to pass).  As Econ69 pointed out it checks off all the boxes that Harper stated he wanted in the next coach:

Harper said he wanted a head coach that knew the A10.
Whitford is a head coach and worked for Sean Miller at Xavier.
I assume Whitford also satisfies the need for good defense, toughness and an
efficient offense.
He is affordable.
Harper never asked for a coach that has been to the NIT or NCAA. 

3/24/2017 9:06 am  #39

Ya know, CLK, after all these rumor "offers" that we have heard reported, maybe a second chance hire of Mike Rice II, if he was interested would be a good option.

After all, it worked out in the movie, "Hooisers" didn't it?

A diehard fan since 1961

3/24/2017 9:30 am  #40

Phildog wrote:

Ya know, CLK, after all these rumor "offers" that we have heard reported, maybe a second chance hire of Mike Rice II, if he was interested would be a good option.

After all, it worked out in the movie, "Hooisers" didn't it?

1954 Indiana did not have the internet or YouTube.

3/24/2017 9:44 am  #41

Hey after all the press Duquesne bashing we could just say he was sorry for extreme coaching, and promises to never do it again in his life....

A diehard fan since 1961

3/24/2017 9:56 am  #42

There would be some flak from a Mike Rice ll hire and it would be taking a chance. If it blew up in our faces, the program would be devastated! Not sure it's worth the risk here.

3/24/2017 10:03 am  #43

Dunlap was actually kinder to Duquesne this morning saying that despite the fact that Becker and Fife turned them down they have other options and he felt they would get a quality coach.

3/24/2017 10:11 am  #44

levon1975 wrote:

Dunlap was actually kinder to Duquesne this morning saying that despite the fact that Becker and Fife turned them down they have other options and he felt they would get a quality coach.

In the wake of this whole situation, we have talked about how much of asshols the local media have been after the firing and during the search.

I actually can't say that about Dunlap, he has been fair and honest in my opinion throughout this process. I remember him even alluding to Ferrys firing about a week before it happened, and he cited logical reasons why he could see it happening. Zeise, cook, poni, Starkey and even Craig Meyer have taken there shots, but Dunlap has been fair.

Zeise is the conductor of the shitty reporter train. You can go on his twitter and see all the insults he began hurling at whitford when we became linked to him.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/24/2017 10:12 am)

3/24/2017 10:52 am  #45

Here's the profile of Ball St in Whitford's four years there. First is the adjusted offense/defense/tempo based on the whole of the year and below that the play within the MAC only. Ranks out of 351 D1 teams and 12 MAC teams in parentheses. 

Also will point out efficiency is severly hampered for Ball St under Whitford due to terrible turnover rates. They've at least improved every year going from 25%, worst in all of D1 to 19.9% (273rd). Not great on offensive glass, have shot the ball well from both two and three the past two seasons.

Defense: They've been hard to score on inside and from two point land and they rebound well while they've been susceptible to getting beat from three. They don't force many turnovers. They more than likely play a pack defense.

3/24/2017 12:10 pm  #46

The Star PressStill no word one way or another from Ball State regarding status of its men's basketball coach

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/college/ball-state/2017/03/23/report-james-whitford-leaving-ball-state/99559562/

Last edited by CLK (3/24/2017 12:11 pm)

3/24/2017 12:54 pm  #47

president wrote:

There would be some flak from a Mike Rice ll hire and it would be taking a chance. If it blew up in our faces, the program would be devastated! Not sure it's worth the risk here.

I think its impossible to blow up in our faces.  We've been bad for 40 years.  At this point, a coach with functioning grey matter will do.

3/25/2017 1:02 pm  #48

Many coaches are hired at the Final Four.

3/25/2017 2:17 pm  #49

townsonkid wrote:

president wrote:

I think its impossible to blow up in our faces.  We've been bad for 40 years.  At this point, a coach with functioning grey matter will do.

Big difference between a losing team vs. a program involved in bullying.  Hopefully Rice has changed but there is substantial risk involved in hiring a guy who bullied his players.

Board footera