Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2012 10:18 am  #1

Duquesne Bigs

I know it is very early but I see improvement in the play of Marhold, Abele & Dmart.  Long way to go for all but yesterday I thought Abele had his best game as a Duke,  He played 17 minutes and while his stats don't jump out at you, I thought he played very well in DU's zone defense.  I also thought Marhold had some nice drives to the hoop as he took his man off the dribble a couple of times.  Dmart looked OK in the short time he was in as well.  I will be really interested to see if Coach Ferry will ever play two of these together.

11/12/2012 10:28 am  #2

Re: Duquesne Bigs

With Andre having some ability to take his man on off the dribble I think it is possible to have him and Abele in at the same time. Not sure this would fall within Jim Ferry's philosophy though. I think he likes his 4's to be able to shoot from outside and play interchangeably with the 3s at times.

Looking back at the few games Abele played in last year it is clear he was never really given a chance to play more than fringe minutes.

If you go back to his Radford days, his best game was a 15 point, 10 rebound, 2 block performance against Winthrop in 28 minutes. If we could get anything close to that out of him this year I would be ecstatic.

11/12/2012 11:13 am  #3

Ron almost never played zone, so Abele was a fish out of water in the switching man defense that Ron played.  I am glad to see that Coach Ferry will adapt to the guys on the floor.  It will be interesting to see how our Abele & Martin develop.

11/12/2012 12:08 pm  #4

I like a coach who is willing to adjust his style of play to the talent on hand. Remember when Ben Howland came to Pitt, he stated that he wanted a good shooting team. However, the talent on hand was more suited to a grind it our style. Howland adjusted, and the results speak for themselves.

11/12/2012 1:01 pm  #5

Wati till you see what Coach Ferry can do with a few bigs that are more advanced.  It will be fun to watch.

Board footera