Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2017 2:18 pm  #1

I don't know if they're ready for us

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2017/08/16/pitt-football-pat-narduzzi-preseason-games-dabo-swinney-clemson-elijah-zeise/stories/201708160135

We almost beat Buffalo on road a couple years ago and open at Hawaii next year. So I don't think it's far-fetched.

Plus, if you read the article, the poor Pitt players had to be iced down after practicing in 80 degree heat. Hell, I remember HS two-a-days in the 1970s in 100+ degree heat, full gear, hitting whistle to whistle. This global warming stuff has made people soft, says I.

8/18/2017 3:04 pm  #2

Re: I don't know if they're ready for us

we're playing liberty this year (moving up to FBS next season) and UMass next year as well. Dukes are doing well trying to hit above their weight.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/22/2017 12:39 pm  #3

Thought I'd drop by and say hi. Our teams are a mere 9 days away from kicking off 2017. wondering if many of you will be making the trip? Weather should be gorgeous and almost fall like(sunny 70's dropping to high 50's). Our stadium, just a year old is considered one of the finest in the FCS and college football.

Brookings is a beautiful rural city of about 23,000 and about 45min north of Sioux Falls. There are many wonderful activities to partake in Brookings that a person could make a complete day out of it. Activities include McCrory Gardens, Childrens Museum of SD, SDSU Dairy Bar(cookies and cream invented there) and "World Famous" Nick's Hamburger's. Tailgating is becoming a great gameday experience as well. You will find we South Dakotans will be welcoming and willing to share even.

Right now for those traveling road construction remains a challenge. Both on !-29 north out of Sioux Falls and in Brookings. Though it can be navigated easily and is nothing like urban rush hour traffic.

With both teams picked near the top of their conference this should be a great game. Add in each team has several high level FCS stars and it's easy to see why this Thursday game will garner the attention of several NFL scouts that may even be in attendance. We are anxious to see your talented RB Hines test our D.

If anyone has any questons feel free to send me a messages and I'll do what I can to help out.

Last edited by jackedforlife (8/25/2017 8:16 am)

8/22/2017 12:43 pm  #4

Also wanted to add that I believe we will be ready for you, not trying to insinuate anything by posting to this "I don't know if they're ready for us" thread.

8/22/2017 12:51 pm  #5

And now that 've hopefully fulfilled my 2 post requirement I can attach links.

Our Fan Forum- http://sdsufans.com/board/forumdisplay.php?49-Jackrabbit-Football
Our Stadium- http://danajdykhousestadium.com/
Our City- http://www.brookingschamber.org/

8/22/2017 2:37 pm  #6

JFL, when I saw a post under this name I was worried that we were getting another spam advertiser hawking blow up dolls made by children in foreign factories. But we always enjoy when fans of teams against which we compete join in the conversation, so welcome.

Clearly SDSU will be a big favorite. This is a step up for Duquesne football.

My original post was in response to our local sports writers who love Pitt, and most often ignore Duquesne. The Pitt HC threw down the gauntlet and Jerry Schmitt, to his credit, said "Bring it, baby."

I think a few fans and alum are traveling with the team. No offense, I'd love to see your part of the country, but if I could pick only one road trip, Hawaii would top the list.

Hoping for a competitive game. Good luck to you guys!

8/23/2017 7:45 am  #7

ElDuque wrote:

JFL, when I saw a post under this name I was worried that we were getting another spam advertiser hawking blow up dolls made by children in foreign factories. But we always enjoy when fans of teams against which we compete join in the conversation, so welcome.

Clearly SDSU will be a big favorite. This is a step up for Duquesne football.

My original post was in response to our local sports writers who love Pitt, and most often ignore Duquesne. The Pitt HC threw down the gauntlet and Jerry Schmitt, to his credit, said "Bring it, baby."

I think a few fans and alum are traveling with the team. No offense, I'd love to see your part of the country, but if I could pick only one road trip, Hawaii would top the list.

Hoping for a competitive game. Good luck to you guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'd agree...the Hawaii/Duquesne road trip is the one to hit. lol, being a Jackrabbit fan I chose that moniker years ago. Jack fans don't seem to notice but every opponent sees an irony in my name. But I'll own it proudly.

I figured it was about the Pitt HC calling you out but didn't care to start a thread(don't be that guy, only Bison fans would do that, lol).

I'll admit there is a part of me that wishes we were wearing all white uni's so we could see your awesome new uni's.

Anyhow good luck to both teams, 8 days seems like eternity...

Last edited by jackedforlife (8/23/2017 7:54 am)

8/23/2017 1:18 pm  #8

By all means you're welcome here.

Sadly, we lost one of the biggest boosters of DU football recently. He was always the first one here with news, support, etc. In his honor I want to post more on the football side.

I've been to many parts of the U.S. but not the Dakotas. Probably flew over them enough times. Maybe I'll get there on vacation one summer.

Meanwhile I presume you'll be at the game. Would appreciate if you check in with some insight and analysis afterwards.

8/23/2017 1:34 pm  #9

I've wanted to see it for years! Would fill out most of Heinz imho. Pitt is no PSU or WVU but has a core  25,000 to lower 30,000 against EastWest State games...About 35-50,000 against solid name opponents not rivals (Solid meaning Florida State a few years ago, 35,000 against solid conference "NC" type teams. At least in year 1 the 45,000 would show up, another 5,000-7,000 for the novelty of the inner city game and at least 10,000 from Duquesne with  4-6,000 Alum and the current Bluff occupancy.

Competition wise, Top end FCS can be better as far as starting 22 vs. starting 22. were talking pure talent, experience over a young FBS team and any key transfers obtained to fill out key position in  FCS right away.  Listening to the game years ago while on my side job a "nervous" Dukes team that if not nervous could have ultimately beaten the U of Buffalo with a few more offensive plays.

8/23/2017 4:01 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

By all means you're welcome here.

Sadly, we lost one of the biggest boosters of DU football recently. He was always the first one here with news, support, etc. In his honor I want to post more on the football side.

I've been to many parts of the U.S. but not the Dakotas. Probably flew over them enough times. Maybe I'll get there on vacation one summer.

Meanwhile I presume you'll be at the game. Would appreciate if you check in with some insight and analysis afterwards.

I'll offer a little insight here before with a few posts and then report back after the game.

SDSU players to watch, part 1

WR- Senior Jake Weineke 6'4/215#, besides Cooper Kupp(LA Rams) no one has been more dominant the last 3 years in the FCS and College football for that matter. Great catch radius, snags just about anything thrown in his zip code. Just under 1400yds and 16 tds last year, including 8 grabs for 196yds and 2 tds against TCU,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kjLmxi0Wx4. 3 time All American and all signs point to a 4th. Should be at minimum a mid round NFL pick.

TE- Senior Dallas Goedert 6'4/260#, aka #brittonbomber (Britton is his hometown in SD) is a nightmare for LBs and DBs alike. Highlight catches are common, he had 2 make Sport Center top 10 plays last year, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOVC1kREIA, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coRAW24mNyc. And he had many others beyond that. Size, strength, speed and a natural athletic ability have analysts like Todd McShay ranking him as the #1 TE in the 2018 draft class. Could go as high as the 1st round.

QB- Junior Taryn Christion 6'2/220#, someone has to get those two the ball right? Taryn is a true junior after having his redshirt pulled freshman year and won MVFC newcomer of the year. His Sophomore campaign he won MVFC player of the year. Threw 229 completions for 3,714 yards with a 30 TD to 9 INT ratio. Oh and if you try to shutdown the pass he can run. Had a 70yard run for TD against Youngstown in 2015 and had 140 yds on 20 carries last year against then #1 NDSU.

I'll add some more in the coming days if you want. Don't want to bog down your forum with unwanted content though.

8/23/2017 6:29 pm  #11

Holy crap! I'm just hoping our interior linemen measure that big!

​You probably know this but our best players are RB AJ Hines, who was the Jerry Rice Award winner as the top freshman player in the country last season. We lost a veteran QB to graduation last year (tryout with the Steelers in May). Either Brett Brumbaugh, who shares a last name with a legendary Duke (Boyd, who played in the 1940s I think) or Tommy Stuart, a transfer from Boise State, will play QB. Chavas Rawlins, who started his collegiate career at WVU, Kellon Taylor, who is also a basketball player, and Nehari Crawford are the receiving corps. We do have some big OL, all kidding aside, including Ben Huss, a 300 pound guard who is 3rd team FCS preseason all-American.

On defense we have three preseason all-conference players: LB Nathan Stone, DE Andy Struttmann, and DB Abner Roberts.

​This is the first time these two teams are meeting since 1932, and the first time on your field. Dukes won the first meeting 34-12, but you have to know that in those days Duquesne was actually one of the top teams in the country. The Dukes played in the forerunner of the Orange Bowl, and later in another Orange Bowl game. The program was disbanded after WWII, resurrected in the 1960s as a club program, became DIII in 1980, and DI FCS (formerly 1AA) in the 1990s.

Keep posting. Enjoy the scouting report.

8/24/2017 7:33 am  #12

We Jack fans are all too well aware of your Mr Hines as he beat out our MLB Christian Rozeboom, 6'2/225# by one vote I believe...as a fan base we are excited to see Hines in a week. We just hope to not see too much of him.

Our RB's are more so by committee and have been since our 3x 2000yd+ rusher Zach Zenner went to the NFL to play for the Lions. Although our starter SR Mengarelli 5'10/195# was named All Conference, he is more of an all purpose guy having had over 1600yds and a high game of 284 yds AP. JR Wallace 6'1/200#(fast in the open) and Soph Daniel 6'2/220#(pure power with a little wiggle) provide the depth with a couple others itching to get in. Fullback Kane Louscher 6'2/245# has 0 carries to his career but he still garners All Conference. He blocks incredibly well and catches the release and is a load for even DL to bring down.

Other WR's to be aware of JR Wilde 6'3/210#(leaperand finder of zones) Sophs, Anderson 6'1/195#(crisp routes), Lewis 5'11/190#(speedy slot), and Brown 5"11/190#(YAC kinda guy) along with rFR Johnson 5'10/175#(shifty and decieving) Devlin 6'6/185#(Tall, lol, long strider) will be wanting to prove that Weineke and Goedert aren't the only ones that can produce highlights. TE's of note are Soph's Hart 6'5/255#(blocking bruiser) and Steckman 6'4/235#(may have a little more finesse). Interesting talk is of not redshirting one of our TE's in Cavanaugh 6'5/235#. He has had a great fall camp and was not only a state wrestling champ at 220# in AZ but an all conference volleyball player as well. Time will tell.

Our offensive line nicknamed the #605hogs(a play on SD's lone area code and our ag school base and also follows the 5 guys, 60 minutes, 0 excuses motto they have) is veteran based after only losing one starter from last year. They are led by our All American Center Jacob Ohnesorge, 6'3/295# who has 39 straight starts and has been the rock there since his rFR season. Jacob will get some looks in NFL camps next summer as will our LT. The other starters should be: LT- SR, Harmon 6'6/300#; LG- JR Pupungatoa 6'5/310#; RG- trueSoph Genant 6'4 300#; RT may be JR Weir 6'4 300# or  Soph Greenway 6'7"/280#. We will be without the services of a 2 year starter in Clark for a violation of team rules.

Yes, I was quite impressed with early history of your program. Glad you came back to it. We as a program had our successful years early on here and there. Then were mired in mediocrity during our Div 2 time. Never horrible but never good 4-7 to 6-5 records pepper our past. Our transition to Div 1 and especially FCS was met with skepticism. I mean if you can't compete in Div 2 how can you expect to in the FCS. After transition we have increasingly improved though and have made the playoffs the last 5 years. unfiortunately too many times we've run in to the buzzsaw that is our rival to the north, NDSU. As a fanbase we truly believe this is our "year".

Last edited by jackedforlife (8/25/2017 9:59 am)

8/25/2017 9:58 am  #13

Defensively this unit lives in the shadow of the offense but isn't necessarily a slouch. We've lost several starters but have experience and depth where we haven't in years past. This unit has the luxury of going against one of the more powerful offenses in the FCS, thus meaning most Saturdays should be easier than what they see 5 days a week. Issues in the past have been lack of a pass rush and an inability to get off the field on 3rd down. With any luck they have a solution to both of these.

It all starts up front, right? Luckily we have SR All Conference DT Kellen Soulek 6'5/315# leading the way. he will be joined by some relatively newcomers in the middle in SO Hildahl 6'3/295# and rFR Stacker 6'4/280#. We lost a 2 yr player in Whitsell to career ending injuries and that has prompted discussion of pulling redshirts on 2 FR for depth. We expect both Krolikowski 6'2/ 280# and Ward 6'2/270# could see the field on a rotational basis.

At DE there is focus on becoming better at QB pressure and pass rush. Tasked with that are SO Earith 6'4/255# and JR Kern 6'3/240#. Kern played as a true freshman but was out last year after blowing his Achilles in spring ball. But to be honest this group may not be settled anytime soon with others itching to prove themselves, both rFR Wilson 6'4/265# and Ogunrinde 6'1/240# and SO Smenda 6'2/240# are on the short list. Ogunrinde was a RB as late as spring ball but has shown bursts of brilliance as he adjusts. I also wouldn't be surprise to see a redshirt pulled on either FR Winkelman 6'4/230# or Callender 6'6/220#. Callender comes to us rated as a 3 star and the only FCS player to garner HS All American status last season.

8/25/2017 11:07 am  #14

Wow, your program is loaded. Being so far removed from the program in NJ, I'm curious to see just how good the Dukes look. Been a passing team for years, but with a solid RB and a new QB I suspect we'll try to keep it on the ground. Might be tough against those big bulls on your DL.

8/25/2017 1:56 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Wow, your program is loaded. Being so far removed from the program in NJ, I'm curious to see just how good the Dukes look. Been a passing team for years, but with a solid RB and a new QB I suspect we'll try to keep it on the ground. Might be tough against those big bulls on your DL.

Bulls may not be a bad nickname, lol. Also keep in mind, I try to be objective but I also wear my blue and yellow tinted glasses.

Our LB corps looks to replace 2 seniors who were highly regarded, while we return our MLB. SO Christian Rozeboom 6'2/225# returns after a stellar FR season overshadowed by only your RB Hines. Rozeboom had 132 tackles(58 solo, 5 TFLs and 3 Sacks) along with 2 INTs one of which he returned for a TD. The unknown, at least proven game wise, is who flanks him. JR Kleinschmidt 6'2/220# and rFR Backhaus 6'4/205# look to prove they are game ready. JR Cox 6'1/220# and SO Workman 6'1/210# will also get their shots. And more so talent wise than depth there are 2 true FR already running with the 2's and playing special teams. Part of an extremely talented 2017 recruiting class both FR Wilson 5'9/210# and Urbanek 6'3/200# stepped on campus right after graduation and haven't looked back.

Last edited by jackedforlife (8/25/2017 2:18 pm)

8/25/2017 2:16 pm  #16

The back end essentially returns intact, though they graduated a starting safety. Our safety group has in the past always enjoyed a rotational basis anyhow and it seems we have at least 3-5 guys that could be termed starter quality. We will be without the services of one of those young men in Slade for a violation of team rules. He and the aforementioned OL Clark are sitting a team imposed first 6 games for an undisclosed team rules violation.

We have SRs Balster 5'10/195# and Farina 5'10/185# as the starters but look for JRs Williams 6'1/190# and Romanesko 5'11/200 to get in as well. There is also rFr Berg 6'0/190# and Manchangiah 6'0/185# competing for time. Along with those there is talk that FR Velez 5'11/205#(another immediately here after graduation) may see the field based off of talent and intelligence.

Corner was a question mark entering last season, not this year. JR Brown 6'1/190# and SR Washington 5'10/180 return after a good year. Word is the young backups are pushing them too vying for playing time. SOs Mosley 6'0/175# and Harris 5'11/175# will be joined by rFR Gardner 6'1/170# and McGary 6'2/185# in backing up, providing depth and well deserved breathers. The hopes being that the Offense pushes out and gets a big lead forcing our opponent to become one dimensional. Allowing our DEs to pin their ears back and forcing opposing QBs in to ill advised throws.

Last edited by jackedforlife (8/25/2017 3:49 pm)

8/26/2017 8:37 am  #17

Special teams we return everyone except for our longsnapper. Which normally wouldn't be that big of a change except the guy we are replacing at that position was perfect for 4 years...perfect on every snap of his collegiate career. One can only think that if he wasn't 5'10/210# Mr Trenhaile would be playing sundays. That torch is passed to rFR Sorenson 6'2/250, one can hope this continues to be an error free part of our game.

At Kicker SO Chase Vinatieri 6'1/210# returns for his 2nd season. Name sound familiar? Yes, he is the nephew of Adam who was a punter/kicker here in the 90's. Chase was perfect on extra points and FG's inside of 40 yards and 2-8 on FG past that. Distance isn't an issue generally and he spent some time with his uncle this summer dialing in his accuracy and judging wind. We do play a majority of our games outside.

Punter JR Brady Hale 6'3/200# improved his avg by 5.7yds from year 1 to 2 ending with a 42.6avg last year. The goal is that he never plays, lol but if he does he gets distance AND hangtime. One of our Achilles heels the last few years has been Kick/punt coverage so any hangtime is greatly appreciated.

Coverage units are being infused with new athletic blood and a shift in principle and scheme in hopes to avoid the big returns that dig our D into a hole.

Returners all have experience and on KR we generally have a multitude of guys back there. Don't be surprised if our starting RB Mengarelli is even back there.On PR SO Lewis 5'11/190# will again be fielding those. While his avg was a pedestrian 4.0yds what cannot be discounted is his sure handedness. Not dropping one last year, a few years ago this was a 50/50 chance with the guy we had back there.

8/26/2017 3:11 pm  #18

Is this game on TV at all?

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/27/2017 1:28 pm  #19

yak-rbc wrote:

Is this game on TV at all?

http://www.gojacks.com/watch/?Live=1286&type=Live
I believe will have it. Also MidcoSN might carry it on directv or dish. With any luck ESPNU or 3 will pick it up too.

8/28/2017 7:26 am  #20

Game week! My final post on our team highlights a few of the coaches.

This marks the beginning of HC John "Stig" Steigelmeier's 21st season leading this program and his 30th consecutive with the team. As HC the team has posted a 137-94 record and he oversaw the transition from Div 2 to the FCS. While in Div 2 SDSU was only able to reach the playoffs 1 time(1979, coincidently Stig was a student asst that year). The FCS transition saw moderate success early that culminated in a Great West FB Conf title in the final year of transition. FCS playoffs were reached rather early in 2009, then a 2 year break before reaching them again the last 5 season. More than Just a HC, Stig also realizes he is molding men of character. The team consistently ranks towards the top in academic achievement as well. Posting 11 of the 35 members of the academic honor roll on the MVFC last year.

OC Eric Eidsness returns for his 7th season running the offense. He arguably is in one of the most enviable positions in not only the FCS but college FB. Having 2 legitimate weapons that should be playing Sundays next year in Weineke and Goedert as well as potential NFL lineman in Ohnesorge and Harmon. To post offensive stats like the Jacks did is a testament to how well the machine runs. To post them in the gauntlet that is the MVFC is even more impressive. Talent has a lot to do with it, but talent needs direction and Eidsness directs well.

DC Clint Brown enters his 9th season operating the D. While the offense may garner the attention of many Brown's D is disciplined and driven. There is also a potential Sunday player in Soulek at NT. Add in Rozeboom returning from his stellar FR season and the cupboard is far from bare for Brown. The D in the past has taken a bend don't break approach, I look for that to change somewhat this year. An increased concentration in QB pressure and not wanting to live in the deep shadows of the offense supply the motivation.

Anyhow, I hope that many of you will find a way to tune into the game somehow. The radio call is on WNAX 570AM. I believe they have a stream on their website.

Good luck, 3 days! 

8/28/2017 2:31 pm  #21

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082817aab.html

buried in this piece on honoring Dan Rooney, it seems like they let out that the game will be on At&t, the old Root Sports channel

8/28/2017 4:12 pm  #22

Was just about to post this.

8/28/2017 7:08 pm  #23

And for those of you that do not have access to AT&TSportsnet, you can pick the game up on the internet or Watch ESPN App on the ESPN3 feed (if you subscribe to ESPN on your TV).

Board footera