Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2018 7:10 am  #76

Re: Game Thread - Virginia Commonwealth University Rams

Phoenix, your post was spot on. The pace of the game says it all. That’s what the Press is... fast, in your face. I believe Robert Morris would still be a tough game for us.  Our bigs are slow and yes, that is one of the reasons they fouled out. They couldn’t keep up and were tired.

As far as the loss, for me, it is more difficult watching your team lose when they were ahead and had a chance then if they would have come back and made it close.

Another step on Saturday to see how the players rebound from a loss when you have one. Coach D has done a great job and if anyone can have them ready he will.

1/10/2018 7:40 am  #77

I think all would agree that the game last night left a lot to be desired in terms of officiating.  Per KenPom box score (and other sources), here were the 3 refs who worked the game:
Officials: 73 Mark Schnur, 79 Tony Chiazza, Sean Hill.

The first two guys I have seen refereeing over the past couple of years, including some Dukes games. But Sean Hill???  It appears that last night was this guys first time refereeing a NCAA Division I Game - no other record of him in KenPom.

Huh???  A battle for a top position in the Atlantic 10 and this is the best referee this conference could find???  Can anyone shed more insight about this?

1/10/2018 7:49 am  #78

No one has mentioned that Eric Williams, Jr. Was 0-6 in the second half until he hit a late 3 after the game was decided, he also picked up a few rebounds then.

I only mention this to point out VCU coaches adapted to the Dukes and after our front line fouled out other than Verhoven ( who played a great game ) we had 6-5, 6-5 and 6-2 underneath. It was so bad that when Eric James went in he quickly turned the ball over and spent 4 min in the game and he was little help and Keith yanked him.

This James situation reminds me of another former starter from years ago the old timers will remember, the late John "JT" Thomas, who finally quit the team after being reduced to playing with the scrubs ( as he put it )

A diehard fan since 1961

1/10/2018 8:16 am  #79

Vcuathletics.com has both coaches’ press conferences. Worth watching. Okay, you can throw things at me... I don’t blame the officials for this loss. Did it hurt?  Yes. But we couldn’t handle their press and we also got out rebounded. Though the officials weren’t that good, it was the Press. Okay, moving on to LaSalle who did a good job against VCU.

1/10/2018 8:43 am  #80

Tony Chiazza did the Carlow game.  That’s about his level.

1/10/2018 8:51 am  #81

VCU turned up their defensive intensity at about 17:00 of the seond half. In addition to some turnovers, this resulted in the Dukes accelerating their offense. Once past half-court, they tended to drive towards the basket or shoot a quick three without anyone under the boards. The impact of 'havoc" is not just in the backcourt, but in the hurried offensive execution. It took a while for the Dukes to settle, and by that time VCU had a 3 - 5 point lead.

The next critical factor was the depth of their bench. They brought in a seemingly fresh 4 or 5, including Lewis Djonkin. While they may not have been as skilled as the starters, it was clear that they were fresher and were moving faster at that point. As well, it gave their starters a breather prior to the last 5 minutes. VCU extended their lead during this spell and continued to collect fouls.

I was very impressed with the way Tydus battled throughout the game on both ends. Especially so after Chas and JRob fouled out. I expect that much of the difference in depth and experience in the paint will be addressed next year with the transfers and the new recruits coming in.

I did not think that the collapse was inevitable last night. That was the old regime. A little more seasoning, a little more depth, and we're right there. I expect this team to react by playing smarter and tougher. Looking forward to playing a talented LaSalle team this weekend.

Go Dukes!!

1/10/2018 8:55 am  #82

FAM wrote:

Vcuathletics.com has both coaches’ press conferences. Worth watching. Okay, you can throw things at me... I don’t blame the officials for this loss. Did it hurt?  Yes. But we couldn’t handle their press and we also got out rebounded. Though the officials weren’t that good, it was the Press. Okay, moving on to LaSalle who did a good job against VCU.

You don’t have to duck, FAM. No blaming officials at all, but both teams deserved better than that officiating crew last night. And who is Sean Hill?

Somerset24, at least Tony has called 29 D-1 games, some high level, this season.

1/10/2018 8:57 am  #83

rosceaux, all really good points. I’m looking forward to Saturday.

1/10/2018 10:06 am  #84

I didn't see the game last night, but I was pondering the press before the game started and knew that VCU would use it to try and create a fast tempo and get the Dukes out of their half-court game, which as was proven can give VCU problems.  I've seen them look awful, take bad shots and miss them in slower paced games.  The question you face as a coach against a pressing team is whether you attack the press and beat it for easy shots, thus breaking its back and having their coach pull off the press; or do you slog through it, keep your slower pace, attempt to break the press and set up in your half-court offense to maintain some continuity in your half-court game.  I don't know if we tried attacking it for layups or tried to keep our pace intact; but from the comments I've read I assume it was the latter, but failed to set up once crossing half-court. 
It's tough when your front line is decimated by fouls, and you are down to one big battling against a full complement from the opposition. 
I think a good learning experience for the guys who will return next season, and good to hear that Tydus stepped up in a tough situation.  Certainly his athleticism allows him to match-up better against a team like VCU.  I knew it would be a tough matchup for Chas and JRob. 
LaSalle is also an athletic team like VCU that likes to push the ball and fire up lots of shots.  I think their motto is "the first look is the best look".  We need to have a plan to deal with that type of team. 

1/10/2018 10:43 am  #85

Can't disagree with much on the board. Both teams deserved better officiating. The press really hurt in the 2nd half. Chas and JRob  really had their hands full!. We will be in VCU's shoes in time when we have more depth and better bigs. Not worried there. Need to win Saturday and beyond. This team can certainly hang with any A-10 team. Looking for wins at Palumbo in most every  game. Team very capable of winning 18 or 19 games before post season. Obviously Marko K. will not be playing any time soon for the Dukes.

1/10/2018 11:02 am  #86

a wise chess master once told me "You don't learn a damn thing from a chess game you win."

This was bound to happen.

1.  VCU was ice cold in most of the first half, where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.  We hit our ice cold stretch in the second half.  That moment where three guys missed layups right after the other was excruciating.

2. VCU has more depth than we do. That and the foul trouble made a big difference.

3. I was more than a little surprised the team was not prepared for their full court press, especially on the inbounds.. They need work on that area.

4. I did not see the game until it was 6-6, so I cannot comment on the early fouls.  Will not blame the refs, only saw one or two blatant misses on VCU, such as where the guy took three steps (European Step as the announcer called it)'

5. The team was bound to have a night like this after three very intense league games.

Oh well, back home, hopefully a good crowd to see them back on track and beating LaSalle

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/10/2018 11:51 am  #87

NEW YORK – Four NCAA Division I conferences – the Big South, Ivy League, Northeast and Patriot League – will join the Men’s Basketball Officiating Alliance that was formed last year by the BIG EAST Conference, Atlantic Coast Conference, Atlantic 10 Conference and Colonial Athletic Association.  The participation of the four new conferences is effective immediately.

The Alliance will enable all eight conferences to work together on a wide range of officiating matters, including scheduling, training, development, recruitment, retention and evaluation. The long-term mission of the Alliance is to increase proficiency and consistency among veteran officials across the collegiate basketball officiating landscape and to facilitate the entry of younger referees into the officiating profession.

John Cahill, the BIG EAST Coordinator of Officiating, and Bryan Kersey, the ACC’s Supervisor of Men’s Basketball Officiating, will continue to lead the operation of the Alliance.  They will be supported by Reggie Greenwood from the Ivy/Patriot, the Big South’s Joe Forte and Jack Sweeney from the NEC.

"Through the addition of these four distinguished conferences to our alliance, we look forward to building on our work with the ACC, A-10 and CAA over the last year and furthering our overarching goal of enhancing men's college basketball officiating," said BIG EAST Commissioner Val Ackerman.  "The sport can only gain from the collaboration, communication and synergies the expanded alliance will afford."

“It is a pleasure that we are able to welcome the Ivy League, Patriot, Big South and Northeast Conferences to our alliance with the BIG EAST, the A-10 and the CAA,” said ACC Commissioner John Swofford. “As we found through our efforts during the last basketball season, combining the expertise and resources of outstanding basketball conferences gives us a chance to prominently support current and future officials. Adding these important conferences will provide an even greater opportunity to build consistency and quality throughout the officiating ranks.”

“This alliance has been a true model of collaboration benefiting all, and welcoming the new conferences is exciting and forward thinking,” said A-10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade.

“On behalf of the Colonial Athletic Association I would like to extend a warm welcome to the Big South, Ivy League, Northeast Conference and Patriot League as they join our Men’s Basketball Officiating Alliance,” said CAA Commissioner Joe D’Antonio.  “We look forward to the alliance creating greater opportunities for training and evaluation of officials, and continuing to improve the quality of officiating throughout all of our conferences.”

1/10/2018 12:04 pm  #88

It was a great effort and sucks to lose the lead but as many others pointed out, some of my main takeaways were:

They couldn't shoot in the first half, we were shooting pretty lights out in the first.

Lot of cheap ticky tack calls by the officials that hurt our big man rotation and ultimately had a hand in us fading in the second.

Idk what you saw Tejas, but we were certainly ready for the press in the first half, giving up 0 turnovers. It wore us down down the stretch in the second especially with the foul trouble, and was compounded by a number of mental mistakes with the crowd getting behind VCU in the second. A+ against press in the first, C- in the second.

We went cold in the second, they started to get hot and Tillman started scoring inside as we were reduced to playing non traditional post guys down low.

Both teams missed a lot of free throws.

Bottom line: We were in it until foul trouble and fatigue started to set in. We had the right gameplan, and got a lot of open looks in the first half with our success of busting the press. Made a lot of shots while they missed.

VCU seemed to make some defensive adjustments in the second, tightened up the press, and started making shots while we started missing.

That was a good effort. VCU is still a more talented team at this time. Foul trouble and inexperience didn't help, but this team played well and with more depth and experience in the future, we should see the team be better suited to holding a 13 point lead in the second half. All in all, a good learning experience and still feeling like we could beat any team on any given day, even with less talent.

1/10/2018 12:25 pm  #89

Gents I’m sorry for the lengthy post on the officiating combine but I think it’s worth a read. I think in general the average fan would be shocked at the schedules some of these keep. That the best guys work 5 straight nights to me is troubling. KenPom’s ratings on this are a eye opener.

More importantly the saddest aspect of this game is that it was available for the taking. I totally understand KD’s reluctantance to use a zone when he has in fact worked a miracle defensively. But many staunch man to man guys like coach K, Izzo and others are turning to it more and more. You don’t need to play it frequently but it may have been worth it last night.

Finally, under stress it’s amazing how you can revert to what you know. When VCU turned up the heat our guards went back to the game they were most familiar with. Slowing the tempo is very difficult to instill and I’m sure KD will be showing a lot of second half tape to do that.

1/10/2018 12:53 pm  #90

1/10/2018 12:56 pm  #91

1/10/2018 1:19 pm  #92

CLK thanks KD’s brutal honesty is REALLY refreshing.

1/10/2018 1:34 pm  #93

Lot of mentioning of the refs, somewhat understandable.  But dont forget, they are VCU, and we are not.  They have been a NCAA tourney team for years, made a final four.  While we have been at the bottom of the A10 and creep into a CBI every couple of years.  Its like if Roger Clemons was pitching against some rookie called up in late June.  Clemons is going to get the calls, a liberal strike zone.  Its just the way it is.

But there were other issues.  Slow big men, missed put-backs and a dunk, bad FT shooting, poor rebounding.  It all added up to the L.

Hey, I'm not crying about it.  We went to their house and hung with maybe the best A10 team for the better part of 30 minutes.  The last 10 was pretty ugly.

Get back at it Saturday at home, get that W. 

Future is bright!

1/10/2018 2:46 pm  #94

An obvious observation: KD is one of the classiest men I have ever run across. This in itself is something that will serve the BB  program well. I would think that his demeanor will infuse the young players with a similar way of conducting themselves over time. He is tough as he constantly reminds that there are no excuses. Never throws a player "under the bus". His "no comment" response to Jarrett's question about the officiating speaks louder than anything else he might have said. His work ethic seems beyond questioning. Just from a role model aspect, I am thrilled that Coach Dambrot is at the helm of the men's basketball program. And he just happens to be about as good of a coach as there is in the college game. Not a bad combination!!  Let's beat LaSalle!

1/10/2018 5:26 pm  #95

The Dome wrote:

CLK thanks KD’s brutal honesty is REALLY refreshing.

Agreed.  I love listening to KD post game. I have no doubt that he is as honest and direct with his players. Thanks for linking, CLK.

1/10/2018 9:06 pm  #96

One of those nights when the toughest part might be just biting your tongue - telling yourself won't be THIS way NEXT year.

Coach has 3 "bigs" and is trying to squeeze the minutes out of them (Tydus, JRob, Brown) - Next year he could have Tydus, Mike Hughes, Rotraff, Bizan, Swingle, and Kelly - Know some are/will be freshmen but it is about options.

As opposed to backing up Eric Williams - instead of Kellen Taylor (REALLY admire his effort but he IS a walk on) and Eric James - will have Marcus Weathers, Frankie Hughes BOTH with a year of Experience at the D-1 Level.

And to "replace" Castro in the back court & to provide depth we should have Dunn-Martin, and Randall and Brandon Wade.

Am unsure WHERE the transfers sitting out WILL fit in -  Nice knowing they ARE THERE practicing with the team etc.

MORE fouls to give -  More Depth etc.

Board footera