Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2018 5:44 pm  #1

Starting a new Duquesne Family (libation) Tradition

Had to stop by Total Wine today to replenish the stock after the Christmas holidays.

​As many of you know on this board, my parents were both die hard supporters of Duquesne hoops and the school itself.  My Mom died and was laid out the night we knocked off top ten rank Florida State in 1992. My Dad followed suit during Ron's last season.

​I saw they had Old Grandad in the bourbon section.  Old Granddad was my Dad's favorite whiskey, his "sipping whiskey" was what he called it.  As my late teen taste for libations was developed (beyond cheap affordable beer) , my Dad always said, you enjoy it straight with no mixer.

​Not that I am complaining but Old Grandad has been passed by, especially in this day in age when apparently bourbon is the new liquor craze, like single malt scotches a few years ago. There must be over one hundred brands of bourbon now in the store, "single batch this" and "aged _____ years that" some with prices more in line with a top notch bottle of wine in a restaurant these days.  But there is Old Grandad plugging along.  It's still a fine tasting whiskey. Price does not indicate quality.

They had a special bottle of Old Grandad, 114 proof so I had an idea!

​I bought a bottle of it, and I will only consume after a Dukes win, one shot and one shot only !  One shot, enjoyed slowly as I read this board and check the other sites to read about our victory!  I will enjoy it slow and drink a toast to my Father, and imagine I am drinking it here with him.  Although I am sure they have really good spirits (HA HA) where he is now.

​Hope I get to crack the bottle open tomorrow afternoon

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (1/05/2018 5:50 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/06/2018 6:25 am  #2

Re: Starting a new Duquesne Family (libation) Tradition

Bottoms up and here's to you!

1/06/2018 8:32 am  #3

Cheers and heres to hoping you take the final shot and finish off the bottle on March 11

1/06/2018 10:28 am  #4

Great new tradition!  Thanks for sharing a part of your family.
Hoping you can finish the bottle soon! 

Cheers!  🍾

Last edited by coffee (1/06/2018 10:30 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/06/2018 10:46 am  #5

I found a "local" (well, I live in West Jersey and the store is located in Lancaster, PA) beer distributor that carries Iron City. I've been popping open the Irons after Steelers wins, and since the second half of the season had every game ending at midnight, it has helped me sleep. I've got a full case plus some in the fridge. I think I'll start popping open Irons after I get the official "great ghosts alive" call, too.

1/06/2018 11:00 am  #6

Hahaha love it guys and Coach Dan McCann particularly thanks you El Duque!

1/06/2018 11:56 am  #7

Next Iron toast will include a salute to the great ballcoach!

1/06/2018 6:06 pm  #8

I could not ask for a better game to break the seal on the bottle!  Cheers Dad!  Let's Go Dukes!  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/06/2018 8:15 pm  #9

Cheers to your Dad!

1/06/2018 11:35 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Cheers to your Dad!

thank you

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/07/2018 12:26 am  #11

Slainte!

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/11/2018 1:09 pm  #12

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Had to stop by Total Wine today to replenish the stock after the Christmas holidays

They had a special bottle of Old Grandad, 114 proof so I had an idea!

​I bought a bottle of it, and I will only consume after a Dukes win, one shot and one shot only !  One shot, enjoyed slowly as I read this board and check the other sites to read about our victory!  I will enjoy it slow and drink a toast to my Father, and imagine I am drinking it here with him.  Although I am sure they have really good spirits (HA HA) where he is now.

​Hope I get to crack the bottle open tomorrow afternoon

Hey, saw this post and after being a lurker I signed up just to say this is a great thing!
Sorry/not sorry (as a Ram fan) that you didn’t get a sip after our game but I did raise a toast to you and your dad with a Bullit rye whiskey after the game, hope that’s ok.

I feel your coach and team will have you making a dent in that bottle in this and the coming years. Been a long time coming, Happy to see things looking up for you guys!
Cheers

1/11/2018 11:22 pm  #13

Vcu74 wrote:

[
Hey, saw this post and after being a lurker I signed up just to say this is a great thing!
Sorry/not sorry (as a Ram fan) that you didn’t get a sip after our game but I did raise a toast to you and your dad with a Bullit rye whiskey after the game, hope that’s ok.

I feel your coach and team will have you making a dent in that bottle in this and the coming years. Been a long time coming, Happy to see things looking up for you guys!
Cheers

​Thanks for the respectful salute and toast. Here's to hoping one of us gets to hoist a shot after the A-10 Final as the Dukes and Rams square off for the whole enchilada!  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/12/2018 9:18 am  #14

I'll drink to that and to your dad!!

1/12/2018 3:27 pm  #15

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Vcu74 wrote:

[

Cheers

​Thanks for the respectful salute and toast. Here's to hoping one of us gets to hoist a shot after the A-10 Final as the Dukes and Rams square off for the whole enchilada!  

That would be all kinds of awesome! Let’s try to go undefeated the rest of the way too- if that happens let’s both have a pregame shot as well. That would break your code but maybe, worth an exception? :D

1/12/2018 5:20 pm  #16

Vcu74 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Vcu74 wrote:

[

Cheers

That would be all kinds of awesome! Let’s try to go undefeated the rest of the way too- if that happens let’s both have a pregame shot as well. That would break your code but maybe, worth an exception? :D

LOL, if Duquesne makes the finals and is undefeated we can meet in person and do this, because my ass would be there for the A 10 Tourney  :-)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/13/2018 3:39 pm  #17

Hey Tejas, after that LaSalle game ... drink the whole bottle!

1/13/2018 3:48 pm  #18

Haven't had a drink in 37 years but it was close to happening today.

1/13/2018 4:00 pm  #19

I had a smoothie 👅

A diehard fan since 1961

1/13/2018 4:04 pm  #20

indygjm wrote:

Hey Tejas, after that LaSalle game ... drink the whole bottle!

​Funny I just finished watching the game about ten minutes ago. Was watching on the DVR, and pausing here and there, plus we discovered a slight plumbing problem which needed investigation, so I paused the game and just finished it.

Wow, does this taste sweet. Here's to you Dad!  Let's Go Dukes!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/15/2018 4:50 pm  #21

after the Dayton game.... well I was thinking of another kind of bullit
/ but I got better

Board footera