Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2018 1:57 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Rhode Island Rams

Heartbreaker. Battled well, but just didn't have enough punch on offense to win.

1/27/2018 1:59 pm  #27

We tried very few threes.  Shouldn't depend on inside game as much.

Are we always playing for a Tie???

Last edited by coffee (1/27/2018 2:00 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/27/2018 2:01 pm  #28

Very tough loss---but the future is bright...

1/27/2018 2:02 pm  #29

Valiant effort guys....wasn’t able to see but the last 5 but we’ll played in ther house!

1/27/2018 2:05 pm  #30

A heartbreaking loss, for sure, but if this game tells us anything it shows that Keith Dambrot's Dukes can compete with anybody in the A-10 — even in one of the most hostile environments imaginable — and have a realistic chance of playing for all the marbles in March.

They're going to be a very tough out in the Atlantic 10 tournament.

Let's Go Duquesne!

Last edited by IronDukes12 (1/27/2018 2:12 pm)

1/27/2018 2:06 pm  #31

Very proud of the team and coaching staff.   Anyone notice, once again,Ray Goss had to use a telephone receiver to announce the game ?  Would someone in the communication department at DU please up grade our equipment ? How embarrassing.

1/27/2018 2:09 pm  #32

Play defense like that the rest of the season, and make better decisions on offense and they might not lose again in reg season.  Why does 4 dribble so much?

1/27/2018 2:09 pm  #33

Duquesne is just not a good enough team to win a game like that.

1/27/2018 2:19 pm  #34

rittersdiner wrote:

What a numb nuts comment!

1/27/2018 2:26 pm  #35

rittersdiner wrote:

was going to challenge that statement but it is too ignorant to waste my time.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/27/2018 2:28 pm  #36

No coaches interview as Ray Goss had to use a phone to broadcast.  Said it was an equipment issue.  Got to wonder as this is like the third time they had to do that this year.  If it were me I would take a hard look at Learfield Sport's contract.

Last edited by CLK (1/27/2018 2:28 pm)

1/27/2018 2:29 pm  #37

Their RPI is NO reflection of how well this team can play!

Last edited by coffee (1/27/2018 2:30 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/27/2018 2:35 pm  #38

Rene Castro has to pass the ball. Williams was open a lot!

1/27/2018 2:56 pm  #39

To CLK and Phildog - thanks!  I know negativity is one’s right here but it is also right to call it out as nonsense when it is.  Last second shots are a staple of college basketball and we will get our share to go our way.  If that had been our game winning shot and he was a Rhody fan I guess he would have talked about how overrated his 16-3 team was.  That was a very entertaining Atlantic 10 game and frankly I enjoyed the valiant efforts of BOTH teams.

1/27/2018 3:02 pm  #40

URI's on-ball pressure made the difference today, IMO. They pressured our ball handlers all day, and I think it wore them down. It should be noted that URI is a team that is predominantly seniors. A good learning experience for our young dukes.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (1/27/2018 3:02 pm)

1/27/2018 3:13 pm  #41

A very game effort by the team.

They were , as others ( including t.v. announcers ) have said , gassed and their tanks were running on empty.

We realized the team was gonna be a bit shorthanded this year. We are at a minimum 1 servicable guard short. A 4th rotational player would make a real difference I believe.

Also, the fact that Eric James and Krivo have contributed essentially nothing is starting to take a toll.

It would help mitigate the fatigue factor if we were getting even 5 - 10 minutes passable  play from those 2 fellas. I am not sure that the situation is reversible at this point.

Oh well , ON TO D.C. !!!!!!!!!

1/27/2018 3:23 pm  #42

Phildog wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

was going to challenge that statement but it is too ignorant to waste my time.

It's not an ignorant quote. It's simply the truth. You wanna deal in woulda, coulda, shoulda? You want to praise their hard work? You wanna claim some sort of moral victory? Fine. I've seen it all before over the last 30 years..As I said before, did they win or lose? That's all that matters to me. They began losing this game around the 5:00 mark. Maybe next time they win. That's where my bar is set.

1/27/2018 3:30 pm  #43

Godukes2017 wrote:

Rene Castro has to pass the ball. Williams was open a lot!

GoDukes,

Rene Castro is more of a two and driver than a true point guard, he was seldom used much of his career here but KD kept him from transferring and many times he has been our top scorer and assist player.

He does get into dribble patterns, I think it is bad habits that creep into all of Ferry's players, reverting back to old form. He still put up 16 with pressure all day long.

Better inside players to pass to would help improve his game even more but I don't think he saw EW sometimes since he was smothered, but he has become a warrior as a grad student. Thanks for posting and following our Dukes!

A diehard fan since 1961

1/27/2018 4:12 pm  #44

ghost wrote:

They were , as others ( including t.v. announcers ) have said , gassed and their tanks were running on empty.

We realized the team was gonna be a bit shorthanded this year. We are at a minimum 1 servicable guard short. A 4th rotational player would make a real difference I believe.

Also, the fact that Eric James and Krivo have contributed essentially nothing is starting to take a toll.

It would help mitigate the fatigue factor if we were getting even 5 - 10 minutes passable  play from those 2 fellas. I am not sure that the situation is reversible at this point.

Thank you. You made my point. There is not enough talent on this team, yet.

1/27/2018 4:46 pm  #45

No, there isn't enough talent on this team yet. Why would there be? Did you think Jimbo was out-recruiting the Atlantic 10 but just couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag? Only the second part of that sentence is correct. To put things in the proper perspective,Rhode Island came into the Palumbo Center last January and completely slaughtered the Dukes, 90-69. And it wasn't even that close. Many of the same players for both teams today so to come this close to beating them in their own arena speaks volumes of how good a coach Keith Dambrot is. But Duquesne won't be a top team in this league until he has more of his own players. Eric Williams is flat out one of the best freshman in the country. Tydus Verhoeven, raw as he is, is leading the A10 in blocks as a true freshman. There's a lot more of that on the way. This year's team, for all its flaws, might just win 9-10 games in the conference. It was supposed to win 1-3. That isn't progress to you?

Last edited by DennisC91 (1/27/2018 4:47 pm)

1/27/2018 5:44 pm  #46

I would agree that the Dukes don't have enough overall bodies & talent to win the regular season title. Sadly, the same is probably true of the the gauntlet that will be the A-10 tournament for any team that doesn't finish in the top 2 for the regular season.

I see today's loss in a different light. A shortage of experience & basketball I.Q. was the real difference because deficiencies in these areas caused so many turnovers. Offensive fouls by Chas, Tydus, Tarin, & JRob, botched in-bounds pass by Tydus, MLII's ridiculous pass to the top of the key, and other plays I can't remember gave the Rams the extra possessions/shots they needed to win. When more experienced & after more training, I think Tydus, Tarin, & Lewis will outgrow these issues. Chas has no hope.

There is no way URI wasn't going to make a serious run. They are too experienced & talented to get destroyed at home by DU. Despite getting crushed on the boards, their lower overall shooting percentage, & being awful from 3,  the Rams got 9 more shots & that is too much to overcome in a close game in a hostile environment.

1/27/2018 6:27 pm  #47

Hard loss to take, but as you point out Phil way too many foolish fouls and turnovers.  I think KD will need to talk to Chas again about how to set screens, and on defense not chasing guards on the perimeter but stopping the dribble and getting back under the hoop 

1/27/2018 7:42 pm  #48

Phil95 you hit the nail on the head.  Way too many sequences where we made critical mistakes and unforced TO's.  Our bigs get more fouls trying to set screens than anyone else I've seen.  That has to stop as those are wasted possessions and have cost us all year.  19 TO's to 9 was the difference for sure and CLK that was hard to take - we should have pulled this one out, but frankly this doesn't sting as much as the loss to Richmond where Castro and Lewis couldn't hit their cereal with a spoon and the refs provided one of the worst homer jobs (I know, we get homered on our home court) of the year.  I friggin hate Richmond.  I have another point on our student fans, but I'll  start a separate thread for that.

1/27/2018 7:47 pm  #49

here is what is left.  Play defense and make layups and FTs and they COULD, as in can, win them all...
at Dayton, at SBU and probably SLU will be toughest.  Would be nice to win the next 2 before going to Ohio.

@ George Washington Colonials    Wednesday, January 31 2018    7:00 PM EST 
St. Bonaventure Bonnies    Saturday, February 03 2018    6:30 PM EST
@ Dayton Flyers    Wednesday, February 07 2018    7:00 PM EST
Fordham Rams    Saturday, February 10 2018    12:00 PM EST
@ Saint Josephs Hawks    Saturday, February 17 2018    6:00 PM EST
@ St. Bonaventure Bonnies    Wednesday, February 21 2018    7:00 PM EST
Davidson Wildcats    Saturday, February 24 2018    12:00 PM EST
Saint Louis Billikens    Wednesday, February 28 2018    7:00 PM EST
@ Massachusetts Minutemen

1/27/2018 7:52 pm  #50

ghost wrote:

I am curious why Krivacevic hasnt gotten minutes, 5-8 a game, try to get him some PT, lets see what he can do.  James is what James is, a body when there is foul trouble.  But he can play 5-8 minutes a game to let guys rest a bit.  Its not like they are replacing Bagley and Trae Young.

Board footera