Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2018 7:15 pm  #1

5/01/2018 7:40 pm  #2

Re: Norman committs

Huge get.  Nice job by the staff.  Charles Thomas was the main recruiter apparently.  He also played on Brandon Wade's AAU team.

Last edited by Simms (5/01/2018 7:41 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/01/2018 7:51 pm  #3

People come and go so fast around here. This may be the best get in the freshman class.

5/01/2018 8:16 pm  #4

Dukes get another 3 Star player.  Big time talent.  Norman and Wade in a couple of years could be the best back court in the A10.   BTW according to Sarah Spencer the Dukes are at scholarship limit as one of the incoming players are not on scholarship.  She said she will do a story soon to clarify.

Pgh Sports Now Article
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/05/01/3-star-michigan-guard-lamar-norman-commits-to-duquesne/

Last edited by CLK (5/01/2018 8:26 pm)

5/01/2018 9:38 pm  #5

Impressive player and just the kind finisher we need.  He can score in a variety of ways.  I like it!

5/01/2018 10:03 pm  #6

Me likey!!!

5/01/2018 11:32 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

Dukes get another 3 Star player.  Big time talent.  Norman and Wade in a couple of years could be the best back court in the A10.   BTW according to Sarah Spencer the Dukes are at scholarship limit as one of the incoming players are not on scholarship.  She said she will do a story soon to clarify.

Pgh Sports Now Article
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/05/01/3-star-michigan-guard-lamar-norman-commits-to-duquesne/

Verbal Commits has him as a 2 star. Regardless, he'll have his work cut out for him if he's going to unseat Mike Lewis, and Frankie Hughes.

5/02/2018 7:07 am  #8

I think they will also have their work cut out for them to keep whatever roles they may have as of today.  

But thats a good thing.  

5/02/2018 8:16 am  #9

townsonkid wrote:

I think they will also have their work cut out for them to keep whatever roles they may have as of today.  

But thats a good thing.  

Plenty of competition. I'm not taking it for granted that Sincere can't beat out Wade, or that those two might end up being the future backcourt. That said, Frankie Hughes signed with Louisville out of high school. I'll be shocked and disappointed if he doesn't become a dominant player at this level.

5/02/2018 8:37 am  #10

It keeps getting better all the time!

I keep remembering after the a bad loss Coach saying “ I got to recruit my a$$ off” and “We need better players “

Maybe the good old days are returning.........

A diehard fan since 1961

5/02/2018 9:09 am  #11

I absolutely agree that there will be a lot of competition at every spot.  The only lock on the starting line up in my opinion is Williams.  

5/02/2018 9:16 am  #12

duq81 Rivals has Norman as a 3 star (personally stars don't mean that much to me unless you are a 5 star).  The kid had more than 20 scholarship offers including Butler.  I believe he was still involved with Butler until just a few days ago when Butler received a commitment from Bryce Golden a former Pitt recruit.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/05/godwin_heights_guard_lamar_nor.html

5/02/2018 1:07 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

duq81 Rivals has Norman as a 3 star (personally stars don't mean that much to me unless you are a 5 star).  The kid had more than 20 scholarship offers including Butler.  I believe he was still involved with Butler until just a few days ago when Butler received a commitment from Bryce Golden a former Pitt recruit.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/05/godwin_heights_guard_lamar_nor.html

I don't doubt that the kid is a good player, I just think your statement is a bit dismissive of the other two guys who play that spot. We know what Mike Lewis can do, and Hughes was more highly regarded coming out of high school than Norman is. He signed with Louisville, a true blue blood. When was the last time Duquesne signed a player that was considered good enough coming out of high school to play for a blue blood school? I'm thinking Si Green. Norman may end up being all that you think he is, but he's going to have to prove it by beating out two very good players.

5/02/2018 1:33 pm  #14

Agree with your point, duq81, of all the new players coming in, I'd say Frankie Hughes is the most highly regarded and the one I'm most looking forward to see play. But wasn't Melquan Bolding--a really good player that helped Duquesne make an improbable run to the A10 championship game before he got hurt--also originally a Louisville commit?

Last edited by DennisC91 (5/02/2018 3:12 pm)

5/02/2018 1:34 pm  #15

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I don't doubt that the kid is a good player, I just think your statement is a bit dismissive of the other two guys who play that spot. We know what Mike Lewis can do, and Hughes was more highly regarded coming out of high school than Norman is. He signed with Louisville, a true blue blood. When was the last time Duquesne signed a player that was considered good enough coming out of high school to play for a blue blood school? I'm thinking Si Green. Norman may end up being all that you think he is, but he's going to have to prove it by beating out two very good players.

Dismissive?  Certainly did not mean to be dismissive.  These kids are young true freshman, that why I said "in a couple of years".  By the time Brandon & Lamar are juniors Lewis will have graduated.  They are both very explosive players with a long history together.  As for Hughes, he certainly is has a lot of talent as well and will be a big part of this team. I think you are reading way too much into my comment.  I have no crystal ball, if you do I need 6 numbers for tonight's powerball.  All of these young guys on the roster have big upsides. As I have said several times there is going to be a lot of competition.  Hoping that 2 or 3 develop into big time impact players. 

5/02/2018 1:52 pm  #16

DennisC91 wrote:

Agree with your point, duq81, of all the new players coming in, I'd say Frankie Hughes is the most highly regarded and the one I'm most looking forward to see play. But wasn't Melquan Bolding--a really good player that helped Duquesne make an unprobable run to the A10 championship game before he got hurt--also originally a Louisville commit?

That was Damien Saunders who got squeezed out (thank goodness for us)

5/02/2018 2:06 pm  #17

rosceaux wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Agree with your point, duq81, of all the new players coming in, I'd say Frankie Hughes is the most highly regarded and the one I'm most looking forward to see play. But wasn't Melquan Bolding--a really good player that helped Duquesne make an unprobable run to the A10 championship game before he got hurt--also originally a Louisville commit?

That was Damien Saunders who got squeezed out (thank goodness for us)

Saunders was a Marquette recruit. He got squeezed out when their star guard decided to come back after declaring for the draft. Marquette's a good program, but they ain't Louisville. Louisville just took Xavier's coach, an alum no less, even with all of the scandal hanging over the program. Big time program. That said, Saunders worked out pretty good for us didn't he

I'm a bit sensitive about recruits being hyped over players already on the team, and playing well. It comes back to posters overhyping Eric Evans, (even saying that Tom Izzo must be asleep not to have offered him), and making dismissive posts about our favorite Houston Rocket. Aaron Jackson, who Evans would soon run out of town. Kind of ticked me off because even then I could see that Jackson was something special.

5/02/2018 2:10 pm  #18

CLK wrote:

I have no crystal ball, if you do I need 6 numbers for tonight's powerball. 

9, 24, 27, 28, 35, Powerball 6.
$10,000 finders fee if you hit, plus a 6 figure donation to the athletic department at our favorite school.

5/02/2018 3:41 pm  #19

Mark Stevenson, I believe, came from Notre Dame.
Played one year but lived up to the hype.

5/02/2018 4:23 pm  #20

Didn't Mike Williams come from Kentucky? Even the bluebloods swing and miss once in awhile.Interested to see where our recruits stand against the other A10 teams once the rankings come out. If all the transfers are added in I'd think we would be near the top.

5/02/2018 5:01 pm  #21

WashPaRick wrote:

Didn't Mike Williams come from Kentucky? Even the bluebloods swing and miss once in awhile.Interested to see where our recruits stand against the other A10 teams once the rankings come out. If all the transfers are added in I'd think we would be near the top.

Pretty much every school will occasionally take a chance on a big guy, as there are so few of them.

5/03/2018 3:11 am  #22

I believe Isaiah Watkins had some pretty decent high-major offers when he picked the Dukes several years ago, too. However, that didn't work out so well

5/03/2018 6:00 am  #23

quiresultan wrote:

I believe Isaiah Watkins had some pretty decent high-major offers when he picked the Dukes several years ago, too. However, that didn't work out so well

He had some big schools recruiting him, but none of them actually offered.

5/03/2018 8:47 am  #24

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I have no crystal ball, if you do I need 6 numbers for tonight's powerball. 

9, 24, 27, 28, 35, Powerball 6.
$10,000 finders fee if you hit, plus a 6 figure donation to the athletic department at our favorite school.

May need to polish that crystal ball a little.  At least you did have the Powerball # right 6.  

5/03/2018 9:01 am  #25

Regardless, we have more talent on the roster now that I have ever seen.  BBall recruiting stars arent as accurate as football, which arent that great to begin with.  But someone else here said only 5 stars really matter.  We dont have any of them, yet.  Maybe some day.  But I'll take a lot of 3 stars any day.

Board footera