Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2018 6:32 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - William & Mary Tribe

A lot to like in this second half so far.  Rotroff having quite the debut.  Could be an exciting season, a lot of new weapons this year. 

11/10/2018 6:39 pm  #27

80-64 with 4 to go. Big Mike stuffing the stat sheet now, 13 points, 7 rebounds, a block and 3 steals.

11/10/2018 6:44 pm  #28

82-64, 3 and change. Nearly a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio. Seven total TOs.

11/10/2018 6:48 pm  #29

82-68, 1+ to go. Rotroff fouls out. On the court Williams, Wade, Carry, F. Hughes, Weathers. All 6-5 and under (thought we had some height this year?).

11/10/2018 6:50 pm  #30

Final 84-70.

GREAT GHOSTS ALIVE.

11/10/2018 6:53 pm  #31

Great game! Lots to like about this team. They easily could have folded in the second half but showed some gusto.

11/10/2018 6:56 pm  #32

Carry doesn't look like a freshman but Rotroff has a baby face.

11/10/2018 7:05 pm  #33

I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, but this has to be the deepest team at Duquesne in a long long time. We could see a different leading scorer almost every game.

11/10/2018 7:22 pm  #34

Watched the game during dinner.  About to pound some drinks and get my dance on!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/10/2018 7:53 pm  #35

Rotroff and Hughes were great on both sides of the ball, same with weathers. This team played excellent defense and looked good on the break. Good ball movement and we are so deep. Frankie Hughes and Dunn Martin are both instant offense guys off the bench. Carey and wade also looked really solid handling the ball all night. Shot lights out from all over the floor.

Color me impressed.

Last edited by Duques102 (11/10/2018 7:54 pm)

11/10/2018 7:56 pm  #36

Wow!  What a great start!  So deeeeep this year and not everyone got in.  A nice surge in the second half.  Some great defense.  Was it me or did I see I think it was Carry do a Harlem Globe Trotter type slide and keep dribbling?

11/10/2018 7:59 pm  #37

Some stats:   9 + 6, 13 + 7, 17+ 8, 17 + 7.    

11/10/2018 8:27 pm  #38

So many things to like about this team  Mike Hughes & Rotroff combined for 31 points and 14 rebounds.  Williams and Weathers combined for 26 points and 14 rebounds.  Think about how anemic we were inside with Brown, Robinson and Verhoven.  Also, Carry had 9 assists (could have been if we hit some more shots in the fist half) with 0 turnovers.  Make no mistake W&M is a very good team, this is a nice opening win for the Dukes.  Coach said after the game that Kelly, Bizeau and Norman are also very talented freshman and hopes to integrate them soon.

11/10/2018 8:32 pm  #39

11/10/2018 9:14 pm  #40

Looked pretty good. Both of the Dukes big guys played nice games. At the half I sensed a loss. WENT DOWN 2, N THEN BANG!

11/10/2018 9:16 pm  #41

Defense...Depth....Athletes........Length........Intensity........
See you Monday and I will be on the bus Saturday!

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

11/10/2018 9:34 pm  #42

I really liked what I saw today.

The team is athletic, big and deep.  The best players will not be worn out at the end of the season.

To a man they defended all game.  There's plenty of room for improvement but the effort was there all game.  I can't recall seeing anyone looking lost at any time.

Eric Williams Jr. had another average game - 17 points and 8 rebounds.  Isn't it great that that's about what we can expect from him on any given night?

Austin Rotroff's 17 & 7 was a remarkable effort for a freshman debut and a pleasant surprise.

Sincere Carry is my player of the game, however.  The 9 assists with 0 turnovers and good defensive effort at all times really impressed me.  He's going to be a lot of fun to watch play.

At halftime the general feeling of the long time fans was very positive but with plenty of reservations.  We blew some chances at easy baskets and let W&M back in the game late in the half.  But after the game my feeling and that of everyone I spoke with was that we just might be a good team and program.  There's talent on the roster and a coaching staff that knows how to utilize it.  It is not a question of if our long nightmare will end, but when.  I'm feeling very good about where we are headed as a basketball program.

Last edited by VBC (11/10/2018 10:17 pm)

11/10/2018 10:07 pm  #43

VBC wrote:

Sincere Carry is my player of the game, however.  The 9 assists with 0 turnovers and good defensive effort at all times really impressed me.  He's going to be a lot of fun to watch play.

I'm sticking by my belief that Carry would have gotten major attention had he been healthy. He's an absolute steal for the Dukes. We know we have talent, and depth on the perimeter. If we can get this kind of production inside, we might exceed all expectations. 11th in the A10? Not a chance. Those hateful Bona fans on the A10 board are feeling sick tonight.

11/10/2018 10:17 pm  #44

Carry really passed the eyeball test for me tonight.  So did Rotroff.

11/10/2018 10:41 pm  #45

Great fun. One sequence that really stuck out to me was midway through the second half. They fought hard for the ball underneath and ended up laying it in... then they got a turnover off the inbounds play and ran a good possession that was capped by a three. Really good to see the way they're moving the ball.

11/10/2018 11:40 pm  #46

Box score had the attendance @ 2,534.
For those of you in person, how was the atmosphere in Palumbo.

11/10/2018 11:53 pm  #47

Thoroughly enjoyed the game live. Just finished watching the ESPN+ replay and was very pleased with the Josh Taylor/Ellis Cannon call. We put nine players on the floor and no one looked out of place. The ballhandling was great with minimal turnovers. W&M would have scorched last year’s team badly, but this group played hard and was aggressive! Impressive debut. Hope to see the same intensity on Monday.

11/11/2018 5:47 am  #48

Was there a post-game presser?

11/11/2018 7:20 am  #49

Box & One wrote:

Box score had the attendance @ 2,534.
For those of you in person, how was the atmosphere in Palumbo.

It was the best atmosphere in years, since the RE days.  Student attendance and support was good.  Lots of room for improvement, but they and everyone were given a reason to come back.

11/11/2018 9:02 am  #50

Up 18 spots to number 155 in kenpom’s rankings.

Board footera