Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2018 8:45 am  #1

Duquesne at South Dakota State

Duquesne has jumped up dramatically in the computer rankings that have been updated to date but Vegas still pegs them as a 27.5 point dog to the Jackrabbits.   South Dakota State ranks higher than quite a few FBS teams in RPI and Massey.

Waiting for the Coaches Poll and STATS Poll to come out to see if the Dukes will move up from "Others Recieving Votes" with the convincing win at Towson on Saturday.  Tiger Fan never posted again... I was just getting to like the guy and now he's gone.  At least Jackedforlife still likes us.

Well at least we're not the lowliest dog on the board-
https://www.sportbet.com/news/odds/Football/College-Extra/

Still playing after Thanksgiving is great but the only bad thing is not having Kellon Taylor's experience against Pitt this week.

Last edited by coffee (11/26/2018 9:12 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/26/2018 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne at South Dakota State

TigerFan would have spewed serious trash if the outcome had been different.

He gone run, with his tail between his legs.

11/26/2018 5:19 pm  #3

The Jacks, what to expect...

This will be in a couple installments

Offense, QB is the same as last year with SR Taryn Christion(6’2, 225) at the helm for his 4th season. He started as a true freshman a handful of games. What can you say about him, finalist for many awards and a member of the All State insurance good works team. He holds most career numbers for QBs in the MVFC and just threw his 100th career TD. But he’s far from a pocket passer and has several long runs in his career including his long of 91yds. This season in 10 games(our first game was cancelled, storms) he’s thrown for 2500+ yds, 28 TDs against 6 INTs with 60% comp.

At RB we lost Sr Wallace to a hip injury but this position is deep. Jr Daniel(6’, 225) is the short yardage guy and will push the pile. RS Fr Strong Jr(5’11, 200)started the season as 4th string. He came on strong(pun intended) at the end and won MVFC freshman of the year. In 10 games he’s over 750yds and several TDs, but really came on the last 3 with over 400 yds of rushing. True Fr Wilson(5’10, 195) started the season as 3rd string and emerged too until a deep thigh bruise sidelined him. He could make his return this Saturday. Both Strong jr and Wilson are threats to take it to the house from anywhere on the field, both having several 40 yd+ TDs and a few 70+ yd TDs. At FB JrSellers(6’1, 245) is essentially a pulling guard, not really a threat to run or catch, he just clears the path.

The O-line, affectionately call #605HOGS,(play off of SDs area code) are deep and big with a good rotation of 6-7 guys consistently. They range in size from 6’4-6’8 and 290#-315#. Maulers and good at pass blocking they work well together. They are the foundation for the 45.4 ppg, 511yards of offense and almost 31 min avg Time of possession.

We graduated a 2nd round pick at TE in Dallas Goedert who is across your state with the Eagles. In his place are Hart and Kunz. Hart(6’3, 250) is a great blocker and an able pass catcher...Kunz is a true freshman in only his 2nd year of playing FB. He’s 6’5, 240# and plays like a vet already with 14 rec, 294 yds and 2TDs, including a 64 yd TD last game in the snow.

At WR we graduated Weineke who holds every MVFC receiving record by a long margin. Now there is Soph Cade Johnson(5’10, 180) leading the way. He’s fast and shifty, has tallied 1072 yds on 52 rec and 15TDs. He gets deep often. Jr Anderson(6’1, 200) is a possession guy and has 669yds on 42 rec and 6 TDs. Brown, another Jr is another threat. While the WRs are dynamic even more impressive to me is their blocking, they pride themselves on it and do this exceptionally as evidenced by the 232yds of rushing our team a avgs per game.

That’s a snippet of the offense, I’ll do defense soon.

Last edited by jackedforlife (11/26/2018 5:27 pm)

11/26/2018 7:04 pm  #4

Outstanding report from Jackedforlife everyone! Comprehensive and spot on from what I can tell and remember the TE and have watched him  excel in the NFL!Remember some of the kids they had 2 years ago! Love the OLine nickname and I look forward to reading your defense rundown!

11/26/2018 9:41 pm  #5

Thanks Judge...latest weather report has temps between 25-33...moisture is a possibility but looks like it’ll hold off until later in the day/evening.

I’ll touch on Special Teams here quick. This unit as a whole has improved and is as consistent as they’ve ever been.

Punting duties are handled by 4 yr man Sr Brady Hale(6’4, 215), he started as a true freshman and has been terrific. He’s getting looks at the next level so don’t be surprised if you see him next fall on Sundays. He’s pretty good at pinning the opposition deep.

LS Sorensen is consistent which is exactly what you want from that position, earlier today he earned some all conference accolades.

At Punt returner DB Marshon Harris has been sure handed and generally pretty smart. He doesn’t return much for yards but he rarely makes any mistakes.

Place and FG kicker is Jr Chase Vinatieri(yep of that lineage, NFL scoring leader). Chase is Adam’s nephew and is climbing the SDSU scoring charts and has already surpassed his uncle in that category. Chase is clutch in many situations and has a 57yd FG this year too. He does at times hit a slump but, like his uncle is pretty sure footed when it matters. He’s also very fast and has 2 fake TDs under his belt and has been know to run down a return guy and lay the wood.

The coverage units have been as good as they’ve been in the last 10 years...which is good because in years past this was a problem. Team depth has helped improve this immensely.

On KR there have been a few back returning this year but lately it’s been Sophomore Johnson(he had 3 TD returns last season) who was all FCS KR last year. Joining him is a Fr Hill(5’11, 185#) who is shifty and speedy in his own right.

Last edited by jackedforlife (11/26/2018 9:50 pm)

11/27/2018 12:34 pm  #6

It’s hard to describe the Jacks offense, lots of motion, shotgun, deep passes and short...jet sweeps and powers. The offense can play ball control but for the most part they are there to score as evidenced by the plus 45 a game. I don’t think the offense has changed much since the Dukes played here in 2017.

The Defense is easy to describe, 4-3, bend but don’t break. Not a lot of blitzing, play man to man on the back end. They at times give up long 3rd Downs that turn in to long drives.

Up front they are young but very stout...RS Soph Ward and RS Fr Krolikowski(first name Krockett, great celebration too, stirring the Crockpot) are DTs. Both around 6’2, 285#...they plug the middle well and push the pocket. The rotation at DT includes a couple upper classmen in Stacker and Hildahl. The interior of the Dline finally has depth. Running up the gut may prove difficult for Hines, even as outstanding as he is.

At DE Jr Earith(6’4, 260) just earned MVFC honors and is equally adept at stuffing the run as he is at rushing the passer. Opposite of him is several guysthat rotate in Smenda, Wilson, you may even see a pass rush guy Ogunrinde. This group doesn’t rack up a lot of sacks but they pressure and make QBs uncomfortable.

At LB it all starts in the middle. Jr Christian Rozeboom(6’2, 230) just keeps doing his thing. As a freshman he was runner up for the Jerry Rice award...you guys probably know the winner that year. 😉...Rozeboom is smart, fast, and strong, a 3 year starter who is truly the leader of the D. A great kid in the community too, I fully expect him to be part of next seasons good works team. Flanking him are Sophomore Backhaus(6’4, 220) and Sr Cox(6’, 230) at SLB and WLB respectfully. Others to rotate in are Sr Kleinschmidt, RS Fr Brown, and True Soph Seven Wilson. Seven, also #7, is hoping to return from injury. He is 5’9, 210 and is one of the hardest hitters out there.

At CB there is Sr Jordan Brown(6’1, 205), senior bowl invite and on many draft boards for next spring. Physical and long, he jams well and has great speed. Opposite side is Marshon Harris(5’11, 180). Others that fill in are Mosley, Lofton and Gardner...with the new redshirt rule of 4 games I could see Fr Davis even get some snaps.

The safeties rotate in much like the DTs and there are 4-5 quality guys filling in there. The addition that wasn’t here last time the Dukes travelled to SD, Sr grad transfer from Iowa Brandon Snyder(6’, 215) he plays fast and is essentially a 4th LB.  Sr Slade(6’1, 205) is athletic and covers a lot of ground in a hurry. Sophomore Manchigiah(6’2, 200) is versatile and has come on strong, while Sr Williams(5’11, 190) is a cherry picker and a sure open field tackler.

This Defense May give up yards and at times points but they don’t make many big mistakes and rarely give up big plays. Expect them to sell out and contain the run game and force the Dukes to pass often.

11/27/2018 12:58 pm  #7

Duquesne probably matches up a little better against SDSU this time. Last year I think Hines was banged up and we didn't quite have the size, depth, and speed to compete with a program like that.

Not that we have a great shot Saturday ... like I said earlier, we might as well be lining up against Ohio State, as good as SDSU is. But we have some nice players who give us a puncher's chance.

While I can't provide quite the high-quality scouting report, here's what I know: Starts with Hines (256/1,536/15 TDs) and his big OL. Alex Conley (6-4, 305) and Matt Fitzpatrick (6-3, 300) on the left side and Nick Jordan (6-6, 300) and Colin Wittig (6-5, 275) on the right side surround center Gabe Spurlkock (6-4, 290). Probably the biggest DU OL in a while, and they do a good job of grinding. Daniel Parr is the QB (174/287/9 INT/20 TDs). He transferred from Florida Atlantic University. Hines (5-11, 225) is a wrecking ball, and the complementary tailback is a converted DB, Daquan Worley (5-10, 185 - 31/341/4 TDs), who has broken off some long TD runs. Parr throws to Nehari Crawford (5-11, 175 - 67/1,017/10 TDs), Kellon Taylor - who also plays basketball at DU (6-5, 220 - 39/479/2 TDs), TE Stew Allen (6-2, 270 - 6/67/5 TDs), Kareem Coles (6-1, 190 - 28/275), and others.

Defensively there's size up front with Pitt transfer Kam Carter (6-4, 295), Rob Marra (6-2, 275), Roman Macek (6-2, 265); athleticism at LB with Brett Zanotto (6-1, 215 - 86 tackles), Jalen Booker (6-3, 225 - 4-1/2 sacks, 8-1/2 TFL), Mike O'Malley (6-1, 250 - 6 QBH); and playmakers in the defensive backfield in Jonathant Istache (5-10, 180 - 4 INTs, 3 FF, 14 PD), Spencer DeMedal (6-2, 200), Leandro DeBrito (6-2, 200), Brandon Stanback (6-0, 195), and Reid Harrison-Ducros (5-10, 185). Worley also plays some DB.

Mitch Maczura is the kicker (9/10 FGs) and punter (40.2 avg).

11/27/2018 1:24 pm  #8

There may be a few of our fans that think it’s going to be similar outcome as last year...I am not of that majority. I think it will be a good game, I am a homer though and I believe the Jacks will win.

Reading my team thoughts I’m sure you can see how big of a fan I am. I know this team makes mistakes though and can throw out a stinker game every so often(see UNI the last 2 years) but they’ve also started winning the close games too and have beat NDSU 2 out the last 3 regular seasons, losing 21-17 this year up in Fargo.

I hope some of your fans can make it to SD and if any are and are looking for other activities while they are here feel free to PM me.

11/27/2018 1:36 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

Not that we have a great shot Saturday ... like I said earlier, we might as well be lining up against Ohio State, as good as SDSU is. But we have some nice players who give us a puncher's chance.

Sagarin computer system gives us a 0.4% chance of advancing. Hoooompf.

Although we have peers. Montana State has a. 8% chance of beating NDSU in their Sagarin projections.

Go Dukes, baby

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/27/2018 5:29 pm  #10

yak-rbc wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Sagarin computer system gives us a 0.4% chance of advancing. Hoooompf.

Although we have peers. Montana State has a. 8% chance of beating NDSU in their Sagarin projections.

Go Dukes, baby

Really, .4%? The smart alec in me wants to ask if they factored in the Jacks home field advantage. Lol...the Dukes have better odds at winning than that, even as a Jacks fan I can recognize it.

11/28/2018 1:13 pm  #11

Here is the latest and greatest weather forecast...😕

“It is looking more likely that s fairly significant winter storm system will impact parts of our region this weekend. Scattered showers will develop late Friday afternoon and change to freezing rain and sleet on Friday evening before becoming all snow Friday night. Snow will continue through Saturday and most of Sunday. Strong wind could create blowing snow at times as well. This system has yet to develop, so it's a little difficult to pinpoint the track and specific snow totals at this time, but as of right now it's looking as though parts of our region - especially Central and Southern South Dakota, much of Nebraska, southern Minnesota and Northwestern Iowa could be dealing with winter weather through the weekend.“

It could skirt just to the South of Brookings...we will see.

11/28/2018 2:08 pm  #12

Pittsburgh weather. The boys will love it.

11/28/2018 3:18 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Pittsburgh weather. The boys will love it.

I figured they would love it...my favorite games are snow games. Normally snow games make offenses one dimensional, but the Jacks don’t shy away from the pass regardless of weather.

I figure it will benefit the Dukes some of the weather isn’t particularly nice.

Seeing the master plan, I hope the Dukes get a chance to do the upgrades. The Jacks just upgraded a couple years ago and the facilities are making a HUGE difference in recruiting.

Here is the link, http://danajdykhousestadium.com

11/28/2018 3:38 pm  #14

Hope the Dukes can get in and back safely.  Where is the nearest airport?

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

11/28/2018 3:53 pm  #15

Sioux Falls is about an hour(50 miles) south...all interstate. But don’t worry, if they get snowed in they will be well taken care of.

11/29/2018 6:38 am  #16

You guys do things right. One of the reasons I was "jacked" to beat Towson was that when my daughter spent her time there, I always opened my home to her roommate and some other MD kids. When my kid needed a port in the storm, the silence was deafening.

South Dakota class. Baltimorons.

11/29/2018 4:54 pm  #17

If it tracks as planned the storm should skirt to the south but will more than likely still get the major airport in Sioux Falls. I could see the team getting to spend an extra night in SD. Wind looks to be significant at 20-30mph out of the NE, about the worst direction for it to blow in our stadium. Oh well, here’s to a fun and competitive game with no or limited injuries.

Last edited by jackedforlife (11/29/2018 4:55 pm)

11/29/2018 5:11 pm  #18

AJ and Daquon and a puff of snowI  The run game will rule the day if the weather is bad! 

11/29/2018 6:16 pm  #19

levon1975 wrote:

AJ and Daquon and a puff of snowI  The run game will rule the day if the weather is bad! 

You misspelled Mikey and Pierre...🤣

Could be a game with a combined 900 yards of rushing.

12/01/2018 10:25 am  #20

Weather is still south of Brookings as of now. Cold and windy, humid cold with winds in the 20s gusting to 30...less than 5 hours, looking forward to meeting some of the Dukes fans at the tailgate.

The stadium will have an empty feel today, 19,340 seats and we will probably have 3-4,000...our Men’s Basketball team plays tonight in Minneapolis at a US Bank stadium classic, and many people bought tix for a short family trip. Bummer in that regard but that’s the trouble with overlapping seasons.

12/01/2018 1:39 pm  #21

Thanks for all the commentary, Jacked.  It is most appreciated since Duquesne plays in a city where the Steelers, Pirates, Penguins, Riverhounds and Pitt all draw more attention.

Some local sports reports don't even mention the game.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

12/01/2018 2:32 pm  #22

I'm hoping karma pays us back today for the 2002 ECAC Bowl. Snow can be the great equalizer that wind was 16 years ago.

12/01/2018 3:38 pm  #23

Offense better show up soon. Defense is holding on.

12/01/2018 3:40 pm  #24

Stopped ourselves on the 2nd and 3rd possessions. 

12/01/2018 3:56 pm  #25

AJ Hines needs to get into this game. Bad start for him between going the wrong direction on a third and one, the fumble, and then that terrible missed block resulting in a big sack.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (12/01/2018 3:57 pm)

Board footera