Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2018 9:36 am  #1

Get back on the horse!

Tough loss, but most of our goals are still on the table. If we beat Marshall, and then take care of our buy games, the Penn St. game will give us another shot at a big win. We can't afford to hang our heads, and let this become a losing streak. This can still become a highly successful season if we keep our heads on straight.

12/01/2018 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Get back on the horse!

Great post agree 100%

12/01/2018 2:13 pm  #3

PATIENCE-patience with Dambrot,patience team chemistry patience,player development,patience before saying we
can not compete against P5 teams.It will take time to get Dukes program  fluorishing.
Its going to take time to sort out the mess of last 40 years . 

12/01/2018 2:35 pm  #4

I echo the setiment. I grew up in 70s and caught the end of the Red Manning era. Norm Nixon was a gem. I googled schedules and records from 71 to the current team and  its been a rough 45 year stretch. Some of the coaches,ouch! Edgar, Satalin, Porter, Nee n then Ferry.  Have to keep the faith and hope Dambrot can get it done.

12/01/2018 3:17 pm  #5

Our team toughness will increase a little when Taylor comes back. I'm wondering if coach has him in the plans or sticks with the freshmen.

12/01/2018 6:03 pm  #6

WashPaRick wrote:

Our team toughness will increase a little when Taylor comes back. I'm wondering if coach has him in the plans or sticks with the freshmen.

Taylor isn't really an A10 player, but he's a grit guy, and every team needs some of those. He might be the difference in a game or two, which might be the difference between going 17-14 (blah!), and going 19-12 and having a chance to reach 20 wins postseason.

12/01/2018 6:08 pm  #7

Patience? I've been patient for nearly 4 DECADES with this program.Know how many games I've seen like last night? about 150 against good teams. We're not even the second best team in Pgh. I'm old, cranky and not very patient anymore. That looked like a team not prepared to play. 33 percent from the field, 20 turnovers. KD is beginning /to cause me to question whether he can turn this program around.

12/01/2018 6:31 pm  #8

Its only year 2 with a new coach. I'm hurting because it was Pitt. I don't consider myself old but I am cranky but it is what it is.  Recruiting seems on the up and money is being spent. Its not how you start but how you finish.

12/01/2018 6:56 pm  #9

As discouraging as last night was I agree: Get back on the horse.
I watched the Marshall-Ohio U. game today and an ordinary OU put 101 points on Marshall.
Regroup on Wednesday.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

12/01/2018 9:56 pm  #10

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

As discouraging as last night was I agree: Get back on the horse.
I watched the Marshall-Ohio U. game today and an ordinary OU put 101 points on Marshall.
Regroup on Wednesday.

That's it. We can still win 10 or 11 games ooc, which would set us up for a very successful season.

12/02/2018 1:49 am  #11

MR KNOW IT ALL RITTER,while I continue to be amazed by your positive insights into Dukes
basketball, your thoughts giving KD less than 2 years to turn Duquesnes basketball fortunes allow us to 
appreciate your all encompassing brilliance.
 My humble opinion allows us to fairly evaluate Coach after 4 recruiting classes and in my lowly opinion
the defense is already much improved in less than 2 years even evident to myself as a registered serf.
I look forward to your insight as we move through this hopeless year, being critical of a team loaded with a lot
of 19 year olds dealing with  challenging academics, basketball and life without direct parenteral supervision.

12/02/2018 1:54 am  #12

Forgive me MR KNOW IT ALL but I  am not a registered serf but a peasant  on this board.Semper Fidelis
amazing one.

12/02/2018 7:22 am  #13

Who can figure?
Dukes beat Radford on a neutral court.
Radford beats ND at ND then beats
Texas-at the time of the game ranked 17-at Texas.
Patience. 

12/02/2018 9:12 am  #14

stew wrote:

MR KNOW IT ALL RITTER,while I continue to be amazed by your positive insights into Dukes
basketball, your thoughts giving KD less than 2 years to turn Duquesnes basketball fortunes allow us to 
appreciate your all encompassing brilliance.
 My humble opinion allows us to fairly evaluate Coach after 4 recruiting classes and in my lowly opinion
the defense is already much improved in less than 2 years even evident to myself as a registered serf.
I look forward to your insight as we move through this hopeless year, being critical of a team loaded with a lot
of 19 year olds dealing with  challenging academics, basketball and life without direct parenteral supervision.

First, I don't know it all. Second, I never said to fire Dambrot. Third, if you are hanging your hat on improved defense to praise our advancement, well OK.  What I saw Friday was a team that wasn't ready to play. It's not like Pitt played well. They made -- what? -- 3 three-point FGs. We failed our first big test of the season and, quite frankly, that falls on the coach. And as to your last sentence, what team doesn't have that situation? Pitt does and they won by nearly two dozen points.

12/02/2018 9:16 am  #15

Putting this in perspective, the Dukes are a very young team with a lot of raw developing talent. I am sure KD has his team looking forward not backward.  What Coach needs to do is not allow the sloppy play in the last three games to continue and become acceptable habits.  The unforced turnovers, and stupid fouls, can be and need to be fixed.  I believe that if he can do that we will have a great season.

12/02/2018 9:47 am  #16

Patience is key.What did folks expect before season?I saw a bunch of newcomers and  a coach trying to figure out how to mesh all these new Dukes into a team.You gotta a lot of freshman-do you think most of these players are physically strong enough to compete consistently with most of our opponents.Carry
is physically strong enough for success, the rest of the guys not so much.In spite of all this Dukes 4 and 2.
As talented as Carry is he is a freshman and he is learning and dealing with challenging academics, and
learning the college game and then making his way with little time to do much else.Its a lot to ask.

12/02/2018 9:49 am  #17

CLK, good point on the unforced turnovers and sloppy fouls.

Is Sincere hurt?  He hasn’t looked like the same player we saw in the first two games in his career. We know he picked up a right shoulder injury in the first half vs. Radford. And in the Pitt game, he pulled himself out less than 3 minutes in to have his leg worked on. Injury, injury-prone, hit the freshman wall, etc., I’m not sure. But this team needs solid point guard play.

Finally, some comments have been made about KD not having his team ready to play. I don’t know how you can say that looking at the first 7-8 minutes of the game. They were ready and performed well. Yes, there are legitimate KD questions - use of zone, calling time outs, substitutions, etc. But it’s hogwash to say this team wasn’t ready.

12/02/2018 10:32 am  #18

Patience

12/02/2018 10:36 am  #19

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Is Sincere hurt? He hasn’t looked like the same player we saw in the first two games in his career. We know he picked up a right shoulder injury in the first half vs. Radford. And in the Pitt game, he pulled himself out less than 3 minutes in to have his leg worked on. Injury, injury-prone, hit the freshman wall, etc., I’m not sure. But this team needs solid point guard play.

Finally, some comments have been made about KD not having his team ready to play. I don’t know how you can say that looking at the first 7-8 minutes of the game. They were ready and performed well. Yes, there are legitimate KD questions - use of zone, calling time outs, substitutions, etc. But it’s hogwash to say this team wasn’t ready.

The first seven minutes, maybe even the first 20, were close not because Duquesne was playing great but because Pitt played as poorly as we did. When they started hitting shots, they left us in the dust.

12/02/2018 2:07 pm  #20

Think of your own freshman experiences ,schoolwork, socializing with girls, finding friends who are loyal
and then add basketball, being on time for meetings, workouts,time in the weight room getting along with teammates 
that you don't always get along with,3 hours in the gym for practice and coaches busting your nuts,traveling
on the road  and keeping up with studies, time management and trying to be poised and confident, and there are
students resenting the fact your education is free and then when you play before 3,500 empty seats at home.If you
happened to be a  black student athlete ,not many students in school with your siimilar culture.Difficult,for a current
player who grew up struggling in poverty, and a player on this team whose mother was murdered by the 
father. Merry f-ing Xmas as dad is in jail, mom is  6feet under.Think about these experiences some folks have to endure
Be grateful, be kind and be less judgmental when you see anybody who struggles in life and give thanks to god its not
you.We need  grace ,love, and kindness to give and to serve the less than fortunate.Some of our athletes endure a lot
before coming to Duquesne.

12/02/2018 2:14 pm  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Is Sincere hurt? He hasn’t looked like the same player we saw in the first two games in his career. We know he picked up a right shoulder injury in the first half vs. Radford. And in the Pitt game, he pulled himself out less than 3 minutes in to have his leg worked on. Injury, injury-prone, hit the freshman wall, etc., I’m not sure. But this team needs solid point guard play.

The first seven minutes, maybe even the first 20, were close not because Duquesne was playing great but because Pitt played as poorly as we did. When they started hitting shots, they left us in the dust.

rittersdiner, if you watched the game, it appears you couldn't see it very well if at all (and if so, you were probably watching in on your 9' Philco).  Pitt shot 44.0% in the first half; 43.8% in the second half.  It was more along the line that the Dukes stopped making any outside shots and turned the ball over an alarming number of times. Pitt played very well defensively.  And you are one of those guys who will never say the Dukes played well - it's always the other team played so poorly that the Dukes won, or the Dukes played badly and lost. 

12/02/2018 2:52 pm  #22

Go Dukes  beat Marshall

12/02/2018 6:02 pm  #23

I am in agreement with Hook Shot who suggested in the Pitt thread that Dunn Martin should start at point and give LNorman a shot at the two.  DM is more seasoned then our freshman pg's and I think it may do Carry some good to observe and come off the bench.  As for MLewis I also think he should come off  the bench and if he is on can provide an offensive spark.  We've played 6 games guys and ML has one good half to show for it.  He is  junior and for whatever reason he is not performing at the necessary level.  For those who say he needs the ball more I wholeheartedly disagree. Mike is a good kid and team player, but his deficiencies are evident and now is the time to see what our highest rated freshman guard can do.   I think if we can beat Marshall KD will have the next 3 games to tinker with his rotation, but it is getting close to settling on 10 guys and going with them.

12/02/2018 7:46 pm  #24

WashPaRick wrote:

Taylor would have been a nice replacement to have when Weathers got sick.  He would have given us the option of an aggressive, physical player more in the mold of Weathers.  Rotroff did some nice things but was not the ideal matchup against a smaller team like Pitt.

Board footera