Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2018 11:15 am  #26

Re: Lewis leaving?

townsonkid wrote:

Pistol, i agree, and the only school I was really thinking of was St Louis.  He is from out that way.  And since Cam Johnson put to rest transferring within the conference, it could happen.  I think every single A10 team would welcome Lewis.  But SLU was the one I considered somewhat likely.

Cam Johnson was a grad transfer. He graduated in 3 years, thus he had 2 years left. Very unusual.

12/28/2018 11:51 am  #27

Unless Mike can get a waiver from the NCAA for a D-1 transfer (a long shot - perhaps can argue the coaching change), he will only have one season of eligibility after sitting out a year.  The NCAA counts seasons, not semesters.  I don’t believe he has graduated, so his options may be limited in D-1.

I wish nothing but the best for Mike; a top notch young man with a bright future in society ahead of him. He represented his family and Duquesne well.

12/28/2018 12:51 pm  #28

FWIW, Zac Weiss also wrote that Lewis' transfer could open more playing time for Wade. I guess the thinking there is that Keith would play more 2-PG sets, with Wade paired with Carry or TDM. Wade has mostly been used in this way, as the off-point guard, no? He's only been the primary point guard in garbage time, that I've noticed. Guess it would depend on the situation and the opponent, but I agree that Frankie Hughes and Norman would be the primary recipients of the 16.8 minutes per game Lewis leaves behind. 

NCAA transfer rules require an academic year in residency before a (non-graduate) transfer can play. An academic year in residency counts as two consecutive semesters or three consecutive quarters. Summer sessions don't count. So if Lewis can enroll somewhere by the start of the spring semester, he'll be eligible to play by spring 2020, then have a full season left after that. He'd have to pay his own way for a semester if the school he transfers to doesn't have a scholarship available for this season. Would think he already has some target destinations in mind for him to leave mid-season like this, but who knows. 

12/28/2018 1:11 pm  #29

As it stands today, Mike could play...
2nd Half of 19-20 season (if he enrolls somewhere for January classes)
—- OR —-
the entire 20-21 season

He cannot get both unless he gets a waiver from the NCAA, in effect voiding his 12 games this junior year at Duquesne.

12/28/2018 1:13 pm  #30

First I want to wish Mike Lewis all the best.  He really has represented himself, his family, and the University with class.  I really wish he would have finished out the year as a Duke, which relates to my question.  I confused between Phoenix and Dennis posts above.  I can understand if Mike transfers now and still having a 1.5 years of eligibility (Dennis), but not if he only has one year (Phoenix).  If only has one year why not finish the semester, get your degree and go anywhere you want and play next year?.     

12/28/2018 1:19 pm  #31

First and foremost, Mike is the kind of kid you want representing your university.  All class, humble, and a hard worker. 

Having said that, it's become a numbers game and his production this year no longer warranted to same amount of playing time others were going to be getting. 

In a perfect world you hope a kid like him stays for depth in case of injury, but he deserves to play and that means he has to go elsewhere to do so.

Mike, thanks for representing Duquesne well, and best of luck to you wherever you land!

12/28/2018 2:22 pm  #32

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

—- OR —-
the entire 20-21 season

He cannot get both unless he gets a waiver from the NCAA, in effect voiding his 12 games this junior year at Duquesne.

Sorry Phoenix, did not see your clarification.  Mike must feel good about getting the waiver, or why sit out for over a year to only play one year. Why not just stick it out at DU and transfer in the Spring or Summer as a grad student and be on full ride.   The only other possibility is that he could graduate this summer at another school.  If that happens could he play next fall?  Still confused by the move.  

12/28/2018 2:46 pm  #33

Tribune Live has Lewis Article on transferring also.

12/28/2018 2:59 pm  #34

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

—- OR —-
the entire 20-21 season

My bad, you're right, his junior year's now in the books and his senior year starts next December or whenever the fall semester at his new school ends--if he enrolls at a new school for the spring 2019 semester--or the following November. Would think Mike would take the former option as that would allow him to turn pro sooner, which apparently is his end goal. He may be able to petition the NCAA for immediate eligibility next season--Curtis Jones tried and failed to get this after transferring from Indiana to Oklahoma State at midseason last year--but he can't  get his junior year of eligibility back as that would be the equivalent of letting him play five years. 

Sorry for the confusion.

12/28/2018 3:10 pm  #35

Unless he can stay at Duquesne and graduate by the end of the summer. Then he'd be able to transfer and play in 2019-20.

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

—- OR —-
the entire 20-21 season

12/28/2018 3:19 pm  #36

CLK wrote:

Sorry Phoenix, did not see your clarification.  Mike must feel good about getting the waiver, or why sit out for over a year to only play one year. Why not just stick it out at DU and transfer in the Spring or Summer as a grad student and be on full ride.   The only other possibility is that he could graduate this summer at another school.  If that happens could he play next fall?  Still confused by the move.  

Again, sorry for the confusion, I was looking at the transfer rule, which requires kids to sit out for two academic semesters before they can play, but not considering that he's already played too much this year for him to "resume" his junior year next December. Phoenix is right, whenever he plays at his new school, be it next December or the following November, he'll be a senior. If he were on target to graduate a year early, then I would think he would finish out this season, then graduate-transfer to somewhere else for next year, but apparently he's not. If he loads up on summer classes and completes his degree, can he play immediately next year? Probably, but he'd still be a senior, eligibility-wise. 

So why leave now? Apparently he has aspirations to play professionally, so leaving now would allow him to resume and complete his career next season, get his degree and turn pro. At least that's my best guess. 

12/28/2018 3:28 pm  #37

He could go to a very good DII school and play immediately.
Risky in terms of going pro but he would play more games and
pad his stats.

12/28/2018 3:53 pm  #38

DennisC91 wrote:

FWIW, Zac Weiss also wrote that Lewis' transfer could open more playing time for Wade. I guess the thinking there is that Keith would play more 2-PG sets, with Wade paired with Carry or TDM. Wade has mostly been used in this way, as the off-point guard, no? He's only been the primary point guard in garbage time, that I've noticed. Guess it would depend on the situation and the opponent, but I agree that Frankie Hughes and Norman would be the primary recipients of the 16.8 minutes per game Lewis leaves behind. 

This is what I'm seeing. Although Wade is a 1, and the others are 2s, KD may be willing to play Wade, and Carry together if Wade steps up and outplays the other 2. Carry appears to be enough of a scorer that you could have him and Wade in there together, with Wade being more of the primary ball handler. For this to happen, Wade will need to prove himself as a more valuable player than Norman, and/or Hughes.
Wade's biggest need is to improve his shooting. He's never going to get major minutes unless he does a better job of putting the ball in the hole. What kind of shooter was he in high school? I'd like to see him have a good shooting game, to see if it improves his confidence.

12/28/2018 5:41 pm  #39

ASaunders_PGH wrote:

Unless he can stay at Duquesne and graduate by the end of the summer. Then he'd be able to transfer and play in 2019-20.

Interesting take, Alan; yes he could. If he did, he essentially quit basketball at Duquesne and sacrificed 20 games of his career. Then he would have had to feel strongly that his basketball “value” to another school would have dropped further if he stuck around for the balance of the year.

12/28/2018 7:59 pm  #40

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

ASaunders_PGH wrote:

Interesting take, Alan; yes he could. If he did, he essentially quit basketball at Duquesne and sacrificed 20 games of his career. Then he would have had to feel strongly that his basketball “value” to another school would have dropped further if he stuck around for the balance of the year.

or....   he could not spend time on the court and graduate this summer.  If he graduates this summer and can pick his school to play immediately...then that would be his best course of action.  I have to think he is not quite 100% and this would allow him to get there while providing him the most freedom and flexibility.

I hope it works out how he expects it to.  Graduating from Duquesne assures he will always be a Duke.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/28/2018 8:00 pm)

12/28/2018 9:48 pm  #41

He'll always be a Duke.

12/29/2018 8:06 am  #42

ElDuque wrote:

He'll always be a Duke.

Agreed

12/29/2018 9:00 am  #43

ElDuque wrote:

He'll always be a Duke.

I am sure a guy with the character of Lewis will always be considered a Duke by the Duke fans.  Graduating from Duquesne rather than another school will guarantee he will always consider himself a Duke first. 

12/29/2018 9:47 am  #44

DSnyder, not trying to be disagreeable here. Mike's a Duke. Don't care which school's diploma bears his name. It's entirely up to him how he views his academic and college athletic career. The fan base here adores him not just for what he did on the court, but for the way he conducted himself off the court.

12/29/2018 10:43 am  #45

Count me in the minority who are mildly surprised by this.  First, because when Ferry was fired, Mike said something to the effect of that you don't go to a school that showed faith in you & leave it when you get good.  Second, because I really believe his playing time would have increased in A-10 play, being our only scholarship player with experience against those teams, & in turn his scoring would have picked up.  For the latter reason, I see this as a minor blow to the program.

Still, I agree, he'll always be a Duke, because of how he played & conducted himself.  I understand him wanting to go where they might be more playing time.  I give him credit for giving it a try after the coaching change.  Normally I don't care about guys who leave the program early but I'll be following him & rooting for him.

12/29/2018 10:46 am  #46

ElDuque wrote:

DSnyder, not trying to be disagreeable here. Mike's a Duke. Don't care which school's diploma bears his name. It's entirely up to him how he views his academic and college athletic career. The fan base here adores him not just for what he did on the court, but for the way he conducted himself off the court.

I am not trying to disagree either....just trying to clarify.  Even if he was not the good guy that he is most fans at most schools would claim him as one of their own.  But I know it carries a lot of pride when guys remember and follow their school and claim they are a Duke or Zip or Xxxx.  I am hoping that Mike always looks at himself as a Duke first.  It will help if he graduates and has a degree from Duquesne.  He really is a class act.

12/29/2018 11:16 am  #47

I know it's not the kind of thing that is usually done in these situations, but if there is any good will left between Mike and Dambrot, would it be possible to give him a start against NJIT? Then the fans could show him some appreciation and send him off properly.

12/29/2018 11:29 am  #48

MikeR wrote:

I know it's not the kind of thing that is usually done in these situations, but if there is any good will left between Mike and Dambrot, would it be possible to give him a start against NJIT? Then the fans could show him some appreciation and send him off properly.

I doubt that. Usually, when a player announces his intention to leave, he's done.

12/29/2018 11:46 am  #49

I like Mike... great kid and a great attitude.  Sorry it didn't work out but its too hard to go from team leader to not even starting.  It had t affect his confidence to be benched so quickly. 

I hope that this doesn't affect the rest of the team's morale.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/29/2018 12:08 pm  #50

duq81 wrote:

MikeR wrote:

I doubt that. Usually, when a player announces his intention to leave, he's done.

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense that Mike would come back from Christmas break just to play a few minutes in one last nonconference game.

Board footera