Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2019 7:30 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

Kids hanging tough.

1/05/2019 7:45 pm  #27

Good game so far.  Our inbound plays seem to be lacking tonight.  Otherwise, it's just a tough test on the road.  Down 5 at the timeout.  Going to be tough to keep it close down the stretch.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/05/2019 8:14 pm  #28

Let me add, carry tends to also confound at moments with T least 1 bad turnover. Again, I think Williams was off. Dammit sick of losing

1/05/2019 8:15 pm  #29

Carry way too eager with that foul.

1/05/2019 8:17 pm  #30

Another game against an above average team another loss. Disappointing team.

1/05/2019 8:17 pm  #31

I am tired of the losses. I would rather no hope and lose big vs. these types of games. Interested to see their mental state for the next game

1/05/2019 8:17 pm  #32

No Norman at all??

1/05/2019 8:18 pm  #33

This sucks.  Not sure how much i can care.  Same old (profanity), different faces.

1/05/2019 8:27 pm  #34

FAM wrote:

I am tired of the losses. I would rather no hope and lose big vs. these types of games. Interested to see their mental state for the next game

Really?  A very young team gave a "top tier" team all it could handle on the road, and the game was tied with 2:00.  They will win a few of these nail bitters and lose a few more.  That's BB.

1/05/2019 8:27 pm  #35

lilpav30 wrote:

No Norman at all??

I think he got a few seconds at end of first half.  He’ll be gone if that keeps up.  FH played well, and i assume Taylor got time due to matchups, but Norman is 50x athletic than anyone on davidson.

1/05/2019 8:32 pm  #36

Bob McKillop on Duquesne: “They’re good. This is a very good A-10 team. They’ve got a terrific point guard.”

1/05/2019 8:33 pm  #37

No Norman don’t get it. Weathers 40% FREE THROWS unacceptable. Hw is a liability coach him up FREE THROWS not that difficult. Great effort coach.

1/05/2019 8:33 pm  #38

We converted more field goals, we out-rebounded them, had fewer turnovers, and more points in the paint. The difference here was they shot 18 free throws and we shot 6. And you can’t say we weren’t attacking the basket....Still earning our respect with the A10 officials that is for sure.

1/05/2019 8:34 pm  #39

Agree.......Norman should've had time in this game.
And you knew Weathers was not going to hit the first of that one and one.
41%?........ Brutal.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/05/2019 8:36 pm  #40

Wharf... I know they are young... but I can still be tired of the Dukes losing over these so many years...

1/05/2019 8:50 pm  #41

I was wondering about Norman myself. Granted Frankie Hughes had his best game points wise but i think Norman should be getting more time. Another observation,  i dont think Rotroff saw the floor in the second half. Our percentage from 3s was real bad second half . Combine that and not getting to the stripe n ur fighting uphill. I reiterate,  need more from Eric.

1/05/2019 9:29 pm  #42

This was probably to toughest A-10 opener the Dukes could have drawn.  Davidson very tough at home, and their motion is always a challenge to defend.  Grady can be a difficult matchupIt.  It would have been a great victory for the Dukes; but I think they should be encouraged by this game .  They hung very tough and never let the game get away from them.  As stated earlier; they simply went to the line way more than the Dukes; otherwise we beat them in every other category!  All this with EW having a subpar shooting game!  I don’t see how you can be discouraged by this performance. 
The team just needs to have a few more options offensively.  I think Maceo  Austin will bring at least one more offensive threat next year.  Hopefully someone will step up as a scorer as this season progresses.

1/05/2019 9:49 pm  #43

Heck of a game line... right there I was pulling for you!
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401085578

1/05/2019 10:07 pm  #44

Ironduke81 wrote:

No Norman don’t get it. Weathers 40% FREE THROWS unacceptable. Hw is a liability coach him up FREE THROWS not that difficult. Great effort coach.

Weathers was 3 for 4 from the stripe, and played a pretty good game. He's a tough kid who has been targeted by negative commentary here.

So he had a bit of a block from the FT line, and maybe that's over now. Remember this is a sophomore who had to miss game action last year. I think Weathers is an asset, not a liability. Take him off the roster, and then what would you have?

1/05/2019 10:13 pm  #45

applecorps wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Weathers was 3 for 4 from the stripe, and played a pretty good game. He's a tough kid who has been targeted by negative commentary here.

So he had a bit of a block from the FT line, and maybe that's over now. Remember this is a sophomore who had to miss game action last year. I think Weathers is an asset, not a liability. Take him off the roster, and then what would you have?

Cmon man 40% from the Free Throw Line will kill you in a close game. You can find a 6 th grade girl or boy who can convert over 40%.Again unacceptable it’s not rocket science. Love the direction of the program . President , AD & Coach Dambrot go Dukes.

1/05/2019 10:23 pm  #46

Ironduke81 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Cmon man 40% from the Free Throw Line will kill you in a close game. You can find a 6 th grade girl or boy who can convert over 40%.Again unacceptable it’s not rocket science. Love the direction of the program . President , AD & Coach Dambrot go Dukes.

Weathers was 3-4 from the line tonight; that’s 75%. Getting another subpar shooting performance from EW hurt again tonight. Very good defensive effort. I liked what I saw.

1/05/2019 11:24 pm  #47

applecorps wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

+1000

1/05/2019 11:28 pm  #48

Ironduke81 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

"coach him up"

Cmon man.  3 of 4.  Coach him up??  I think they did.  Did you want him out of the game??  Not quite sure what your complaint is in this game.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/05/2019 11:29 pm)

1/05/2019 11:40 pm  #49

Always tough to lose a game like this but...

I am really encouraged because you can see the future developing before our eyes. We have never been competitive with Davidson since they have entered the league - never. Today, we go into their place, a place where they rarely lose, and battle to the end with only a couple of plays separating the teams. Davidson is one of the three best teams in the league and you can see we are close.  Get a bit better at the little things (Like Weathers’ free throws and Williams developing his shot when he is on the move), we will win our share and become a challenger. We all want results now since we have suffered so long. But I see the process taking hold. I am encouraged that Dambrot is going to get us there.

1/06/2019 12:07 am  #50

I was in attendance tonight.
Some observations ...

Belk Arena holds about 4,800.  Waiting on final gate but it looked about 85-90% capacity.
The last 10 minutes was loud.

Although disappointed with a loss, I liked what I saw.  These Dukes are close to winning games like this - on the road, in a loud venue, against a good team.

Scoring only 10 points in the last 11:00 minutes is a killer.  They got some good looks but couldn’t finish.  The defense did its job keeping Davidson to 14 points in the same time span.
Take away 2-3 of the “wasted possessions” in the final 3 minutes & Dukes win by 3-6. 

Even though EW Jrs shot was not falling, he was doing everything else.  His motor & S Carry’s are impressive.

Board footera