Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2019 8:30 am  #1

Told ya

Actually, I am not a told-ya-so person but I'll make an exception in this case.

It just came to my attention that DK Sports is no longer covering any college sports. I heard this by word of mouth because I don't subscribe. Some of you might remember the critical remarks directed towards me this summer when I stood up for the two city newspapers and the dependable coverage they gave the Dukes. 

It was intimated that I was a crotchety old man living in the past, which is partly true, I am old, and that I should get into the 21st Century by subscribing to the wave of the future in covering the Dukes. I guess in DK Sports time, that means half a season.

Anyway, I revel in this only briefly, because the Dukes did lose a media outlet and that's not good. I point this out to show that we should appreciate the Trib and PG coverage more than these fly-by-night businesses that could be gone tomorrow.

1/10/2019 8:42 am  #2

Re: Told ya

Whew, based on the headline I thought you were going to berate us again about how Keith Dambrot sucks!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/10/2019 9:26 am  #3

rittersdiner wrote:

It just came to my attention that DK Sports is no longer covering any college sports. I heard this by word of mouth because I don't subscribe. Some of you might remember the critical remarks directed towards me this summer when I stood up for the two city newspapers and the dependable coverage they gave the Dukes. 

It was intimated that I was a crotchety old man living in the past, which is partly true, I am old, and that I should get into the 21st Century by subscribing to the wave of the future in covering the Dukes. I guess in DK Sports time, that means half a season.

Anyway, I revel in this only briefly, because the Dukes did lose a media outlet and that's not good. I point this out to show that we should appreciate the Trib and PG coverage more than these fly-by-night businesses that could be gone tomorrow.

LOL  You ARE actually a "told you so" kind of guy and could not wait until the information could be confirmed or verified before puffing your chest.

I don't recall anybody criticizing newspaper coverage...just the lack of coverage devoted to the Dukes.  And that traditional print news is dying the same death as Block Buster video.  Face it....newspapers missed an opportunity....they could have been on the forefront of digital news but they buried their head in the sand and that opportunity passed them by.  Times are changing....like in everything else...there will be winners and losers.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/10/2019 9:26 am)

1/10/2019 9:47 am  #4

Dsnyder15 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

LOL  You ARE actually a "told you so" kind of guy and could not wait until the information could be confirmed or verified before puffing your chest.

I don't recall anybody criticizing newspaper coverage...just the lack of coverage devoted to the Dukes.  And that traditional print news is dying the same death as Block Buster video.  Face it....newspapers missed an opportunity....they could have been on the forefront of digital news but they buried their head in the sand and that opportunity passed them by.  Times are changing....like in everything else...there will be winners and losers.

Gee, who is still covering the team now for the area's subscription outlet?

1/10/2019 10:26 am  #5

rittersdiner wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

Gee, who is still covering the team now for the area's subscription outlet?

I have no clue as I don't live in the area.  Someone here can figure it out for you if you ask nicely.

1/10/2019 10:51 am  #6

DK Sports is a good place to catch up on your local team.. if you are a Pens fan first or only.

1/10/2019 11:14 am  #7

What is DK sports?

1/10/2019 11:23 am  #8

rittersdiner wrote:

I am a subscriber.  Via an announcement from DK -  the decision was effective 1/1/19 to go with a Pro Sports focus - Steelers, Pens, Buccos.  They may cover the soccer club too.
DK dropped all local college coverage - Pitt, PSU, WVU, Duquesne, & RMU.  The rational was based on lack of readership - something like 1.8% of the total views on the DK site was aligned to the college teams.  So basically a business decision on cost of coverage vs click views.
The comment sections were a bit lit up at the announcement.

1/10/2019 11:25 am  #9

townsonkid wrote:

What is DK sports?

Former PG and Trib reporter & columnist Dejan Kovacevic created his own website covering Pittsburgh sports on the internet.  It's subscription based and while he attempted to cover college sports has now eliminated that coverage.  I subscribed back when it seemed like he was going to cover Duquesne pretty thoroughly but that went by the way fairly soon.  To be fair, he and his staff did a good job at first but Duquesne isn't a reason why most subscribed.

Of course those from Pitt aren't happy either because, of course, Pitt is Pittsburgh and there can't possibly be another school or team to support - because, you know, the name says Pittsburgh and all...

All hail to thee Duquesne!

Last edited by Mulder (1/10/2019 3:05 pm)

1/10/2019 12:27 pm  #10

I think we need a Dukes Hoops podcast.  

1/10/2019 12:57 pm  #11

Hey, Oldtimer, what about Pittsburgh Sports Now? They're doing a FAR better job than the local rags which do not send reporters to our road games (instead, they send 10-12 to Pitt games). Zac and Alan and the rest of the crew there actually reports on the team, recruits, etc. The PG and TR pick up news releases, I guess.

Not to mention the shabby treatment that we received from the PG after Ferry was fired -- including from the current reporter, who is a bit less than stellar IMHO. She doesn't even bother to doctor up the news releases. Just adds a by-line. 

DKPittsburgh Sports is still providing the insight and analysis I need on the Steelers, so it's still worth the money to me. Ditto for The Athletic. And with PSN, I have all of my rooting interests covered. I've got the scoop, while you're waiting for your morning paper to land in the puddle on your porch.

Geez, I'm surprised you found this site. Did we advertise on MyFace or something?

1/10/2019 3:07 pm  #12

townsonkid wrote:

I think we need a Dukes Hoops podcast.  

Try 'We Wear the Ring' which does about a podcast a week.  Their website:  https://wewearthering.net/

1/10/2019 4:27 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Hey, Oldtimer, what about Pittsburgh Sports Now? They're doing a FAR better job than the local rags which do not send reporters to our road games (instead, they send 10-12 to Pitt games). Zac and Alan and the rest of the crew there actually reports on the team, recruits, etc. The PG and TR pick up news releases, I guess.

Not to mention the shabby treatment that we received from the PG after Ferry was fired -- including from the current reporter, who is a bit less than stellar IMHO. She doesn't even bother to doctor up the news releases. Just adds a by-line. 

DKPittsburgh Sports is still providing the insight and analysis I need on the Steelers, so it's still worth the money to me. Ditto for The Athletic. And with PSN, I have all of my rooting interests covered. I've got the scoop, while you're waiting for your morning paper to land in the puddle on your porch.

Geez, I'm surprised you found this site. Did we advertise on MyFace or something?

MyFace? That's pretty funny.

What's also funny is you believing PSN is far better than those "rags." How long before PSN drops coverage when it becomes unprofitable? But hey, it's your money getting flushed not mine.

1/10/2019 4:42 pm  #14

Hey Ritter, remember that time you whined about the cost of tickets and I showed you how to use technology to ones you could afford? 

1/10/2019 5:04 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Hey Ritter, remember that time you whined about the cost of tickets and I showed you how to use technology to ones you could afford? 

Come on...  don't let the facts ruin a good story  ;-)

1/10/2019 5:28 pm  #16

Dsnyder15 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

So what's your point? I know how to use technology. I'm just not star-struck like some who see this as magical. Like self-driving cars. Newspapers are kicking DK's ass on Duquesne coverage now, huh? Same will happen to PSN someday.

1/10/2019 6:00 pm  #17

rittersdiner wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

So what's your point? I know how to use technology. I'm just not star-struck like some who see this as magical. Like self-driving cars. Newspapers are kicking DK's ass on Duquesne coverage now, huh? Same will happen to PSN someday.

Shots fired, Alan? Zach?

1/10/2019 7:50 pm  #18

Trib no longer has a newspaper for Pittsburgh only online.
PG publishes now 5 times a week.
I like going to Micky D's for a beverage and read the paper.
But at $2 a copy, the PG not worth it.
That is the market economy
As for DK and PSN, they are no different than the PG and Trib. All
are profit entities. If DK and PSN go under, another outlet will develop..
If money is to be made, someone will take a chance

1/11/2019 7:38 am  #19

"we should appreciate the Trib and PG coverage more than these fly-by-night businesses that could be gone tomorrow."

I live in the burbs and I still get a daily Tribune. The day Pitt was crushed by NC and Dukes took Davidson to the wire, Pitt had two full length columns by two writers.  Dukes got THREE sentences, listed in column with like Lock Haven etc.

1/11/2019 8:39 am  #20

wharfrat wrote:

"we should appreciate the Trib and PG coverage more than these fly-by-night businesses that could be gone tomorrow."

I live in the burbs and I still get a daily Tribune. The day Pitt was crushed by NC and Dukes took Davidson to the wire, Pitt had two full length columns by two writers. Dukes got THREE sentences, listed in column with like Lock Haven etc.

Pitt had a sellout crowd of 12,000. If Duquesne wants that type of coverage, then it needs to at least be a top 3 in A-10 from now on. How can you criticize not giving a lot of coverage to a program that does not even have the support of its students? There are a couple thousand students a short walk away who could not care less. That's one of the things that needs changed. 

1/11/2019 12:52 pm  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

wharfrat wrote:

I live in the burbs and I still get a daily Tribune. The day Pitt was crushed by NC and Dukes took Davidson to the wire, Pitt had two full length columns by two writers. Dukes got THREE sentences, listed in column with like Lock Haven etc.

Pitt had a sellout crowd of 12,000. If Duquesne wants that type of coverage, then it needs to at least be a top 3 in A-10 from now on. How can you criticize not giving a lot of coverage to a program that does not even have the support of its students? There are a couple thousand students a short walk away who could not care less. That's one of the things that needs changed. 

Make it easy for us: pick one side of the debate. Not both.

You started this topic by pointing a finger at DK Pittsburgh Sports for switching its editorial profile to be pro-sports only. They stopped covering DU, so people should cancel their subscriptions. The Tribune-Review doesn't cover us, and all of a sudden it's OK, because it's low student attendance that's the problem. It was low readership that drove the DKPS decision. I don't think the Tribune-Review is applying any metrics or algorithm decisions to coverage, only the principle of all-Pitt, all-the-time. Pitt got the same amount of coverage last year when 23 fans attended loss-after-loss. Pitt football gets the same coverage when attendance at football games is barely above DU football attendance levels. Here's what I think is happening: The Trib is willing to use freelance writers when they're available. Only they don't work so hard to make sure they have those writers.

The Post-Gazette, which has assigned some good reporters (Fittipaldi, Batko, to name two) to us in the past, has also assigned a couple who I'm not crazy about (Dunlap, the current reporter, to name two).

So here's my last comment on this topic: I will continue to read the sources that meet my needs for information and analysis. When it comes to Duquesne basketball, only Pittsburgh Ports Now meets that criteria. You can have the P-G reporter and the one-line recaps in the Tribune-Review. 

1/11/2019 5:41 pm  #22

Check's in the mail. Do I just make it out to El Duque or ... 

ElDuque wrote:

1/11/2019 5:59 pm  #23

I'd like to settle this debate. Read everything.

We're not trying to replace the Post-Gazette and the Trib. They have resources we don't have. If I get into a story that's going to require police contacts or FOIA requests or something like that, I'm out of luck. If I need an old photo for a story on the 1977 team, I don't have one. There are indispensable functions that newspapers serve that a website like PSN could never hope to replace, at least not any time soon.

On the other hand, we have the flexibility and desire to be able to present a lot more day-to-day reporting on the team. Consider PSN a supplement -- and a vital one if you want to be fully informed on the Dukes.

1/12/2019 9:51 am  #24

ElDuque wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

wharfrat wrote:

Make it easy for us: pick one side of the debate. Not both.

You started this topic by pointing a finger at DK Pittsburgh Sports for switching its editorial profile to be pro-sports only. They stopped covering DU, so people should cancel their subscriptions. The Tribune-Review doesn't cover us, and all of a sudden it's OK, because it's low student attendance that's the problem. It was low readership that drove the DKPS decision. I don't think the Tribune-Review is applying any metrics or algorithm decisions to coverage, only the principle of all-Pitt, all-the-time. Pitt got the same amount of coverage last year when 23 fans attended loss-after-loss. Pitt football gets the same coverage when attendance at football games is barely above DU football attendance levels. Here's what I think is happening: The Trib is willing to use freelance writers when they're available. Only they don't work so hard to make sure they have those writers.

The Post-Gazette, which has assigned some good reporters (Fittipaldi, Batko, to name two) to us in the past, has also assigned a couple who I'm not crazy about (Dunlap, the current reporter, to name two).

So here's my last comment on this topic: I will continue to read the sources that meet my needs for information and analysis. When it comes to Duquesne basketball, only Pittsburgh Ports Now meets that criteria. You can have the P-G reporter and the one-line recaps in the Tribune-Review. 

These were 2 different discussions. As for DK, it was whether the Dukes merited any coverage at all. DK says no.

The Pitt-Dukes comparison was a discussion, IMO, on the intensity of the coverage, not whether it was warranted.

Board footera