Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2019 6:24 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - George Washington Colonials (A)

How about Weathers? Double figures in each of five conference games.

1/20/2019 6:28 pm  #52

Face wrote:

2/2 from the FT line.  Just a little more improvement and he will be an adequate back-up at this level (95).   ;-)

1/20/2019 6:30 pm  #53

I haven’t heard Mike Hughes speak before. He’s a great interview, really enjoying this. He’s also clearly a team guy, just watching his demeanor during games tells you that.

Last edited by Face (1/20/2019 6:31 pm)

1/20/2019 6:32 pm  #54

True Grit.

1/20/2019 6:38 pm  #55

Hope everyone gets on the bus. Didn't we leave a player down there a while ago?

1/20/2019 6:43 pm  #56

Hope everyone gets on the bus. Didn't we leave a player down there a while ago?

We had the stranded bus on this trip 2 years ago. And where is Kellon?

1/20/2019 7:12 pm  #57

Last game Taylor didn’t play - today he wasn’t on the bench.

1/20/2019 7:29 pm  #58

I loved the way KD used Bizzou from the top of the key.  A kid that big who can shoot from there is tough to guard.  If he is capable of firing in a few assists further down low or back out it sure adds another weapon to the offense.

Last edited by coffee (1/20/2019 10:37 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/20/2019 7:37 pm  #59

pressurecooker wrote:

True Grit.

For sure. There is no quit in this team.  Down 5 with less than a minute they were not intimidated and found a way to bring it to OT, and then poured it on.  Game ball to M. Hughes no doubt, but this was a team win.  Go Dukes!!!  

1/20/2019 7:56 pm  #60

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Face wrote:

2/2 from the FT line.  Just a little more improvement and he will be an adequate back-up at this level (95).   ;-)

Yes, maybe it really does make sense to play the guy more than 3 or 4 minutes game. Some very adequate field goals down low when the game got really close. 

1/20/2019 8:14 pm  #61

His adequacy is good.

1/20/2019 10:15 pm  #62

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Face wrote:

If you are going to trash talk me after every game you might at least have the courtesy to quote me accurately. Lies of omission & quote manipulation are lies just the same.

“These things are only relevant because we are discussing Weathers's ability to deal with the stronger competition over the next 2.5 seasons.
I really hope he stays, he has a ton to offer. At any other time in the last 20 years he would have been considered a godsend to the program. With modest improvement he could be a great backup PF at this level. I even like the idea of sneaking him in at the 3 for 4-5 minutes a game of maximum rebounding and defensive intensity against bigger teams.
However, without a huge amount of development, the Dukes will have a hard time being a top 3 team in this league with him starting/playing the majority of the minutes at the 4. If he is the starter for his time here it won't be a disaster; he's good. Alternatively, if a player of Marcus's abilities is justly relegated to backup role, the Dukes will be sitting pretty.”

There is nothing in this post that I don’t stand by today & I’ll bet I am not the only DU diehard that sees it this way.

I have to ask, how much does the quote above resemble, to you, what you have been posting as my words for the last few weeks? Where is that now infamous use of the word, “adequate”? Where is the part where I think he should be playing 3-4 minutes a game?

I am all for real discussion & spirited debate when it comes to my beloved Dukes. I have no problem with opinions that run counter to mine or admitting that one of my crackpot theories is wrong. (In fact, I would be super-happy if Marcus were to become a star because…you know… this is the team I want to be great.)

You may have noticed that you have already posted to this board more times in less than 2 years than I have in 6+ years. That is mostly an attempt to avoid this sort of thing. I am here for the information and to this point, commiseration provided by most of the posters here. I have certainly offended a few folks during that time with an overly strident opinion or 2. I feel my I.Q. going down a few points every time I get in a cyber-scrape with a fellow poster so I try to avoid it.  The difference here is that you are cutting into my ability to enjoy what appears to be the great revival wished for by Dukes fans.
So, how about you cut the crap?

P.S.
Humor me for a minute & consider the following list of names:

Presidents Trump, Obama, Clinton, & Bush II; Saddam Hussein, Bill Belichick, Coach K, Bobby Knight, Art Modell, Terry Francona, Sandy Alomar JR., Manny Acta, & Eric Wedge

I am willing to bet that you have a definitive opinion on most or all of these men. I would also bet that some of them you really don’t care for based on reasons of your choosing. I would make a third wager that you have even used some impolite terminology for some of these fellows that don’t strike your fancy. My final wager would be that you came to these negative opinions & nasty words without having gone to the offices of the meanies in question to have a chat.

After, (honestly), going through the exercise above, do you still have a problem with my personal opinion of KD's public persona?

1/20/2019 10:58 pm  #63

It has been a few years since I've seen a game.  The last time was at UMass and it was the A10 Playoffs.  I think the uniforms were blue back then.  Good uniforms except for no name on the backs.  Duquesne is getting tougher.  Today's game was great.  Now I can celebrate by looking at the lunar eclipse.

1/20/2019 11:00 pm  #64

I don't really see an issue with that. Let's look at it another way. Lewis was good the last couple of years. We got guards that it turned out were better, at least better for the system and the team, so his minutes were limited.

Now, if you consider how well Lewis played previously, wouldn't you imagine a scenario that forced him to the bench to mean that we were *really* doing great things at the 1 and 2? And that is in fact the case. I can see that point with Weathers, especially now that he appears to have hit his stride. If someone came along and took that starting job, my GOODNESS the depth we'd have at forward would suddenly be immense and would also give tremendous flexibility with the looks that KD could put out on the court.

So I can both see the point as well as understand how it might be misinterpreted.

Last edited by Face (1/20/2019 11:02 pm)

1/20/2019 11:19 pm  #65

Face wrote:

I don't really see an issue with that. Let's look at it another way. Lewis was good the last couple of years. We got guards that it turned out were better, at least better for the system and the team, so his minutes were limited.

Now, if you consider how well Lewis played previously, wouldn't you imagine a scenario that forced him to the bench to mean that we were *really* doing great things at the 1 and 2? And that is in fact the case. I can see that point with Weathers, especially now that he appears to have hit his stride. If someone came along and took that starting job, my GOODNESS the depth we'd have at forward would suddenly be immense and would also give tremendous flexibility with the looks that KD could put out on the court.

So I can both see the point as well as understand how it might be misinterpreted.

I can see Phil's point. It's juvenile to continuously put the same comments after nearly every post. Make your point, and then move on.

1/21/2019 12:29 am  #66

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Face wrote:

If you are going to trash talk me after every game you might at least have the courtesy to quote me accurately. Lies of omission & quote manipulation are lies just the same.

“These things are only relevant because we are discussing Weathers's ability to deal with the stronger competition over the next 2.5 seasons.
I really hope he stays, he has a ton to offer. At any other time in the last 20 years he would have been considered a godsend to the program. With modest improvement he could be a great backup PF at this level. I even like the idea of sneaking him in at the 3 for 4-5 minutes a game of maximum rebounding and defensive intensity against bigger teams.
However, without a huge amount of development, the Dukes will have a hard time being a top 3 team in this league with him starting/playing the majority of the minutes at the 4. If he is the starter for his time here it won't be a disaster; he's good. Alternatively, if a player of Marcus's abilities is justly relegated to backup role, the Dukes will be sitting pretty.”

There is nothing in this post that I don’t stand by today & I’ll bet I am not the only DU diehard that sees it this way.

I have to ask, how much does the quote above resemble, to you, what you have been posting as my words for the last few weeks? Where is that now infamous use of the word, “adequate”? Where is the part where I think he should be playing 3-4 minutes a game?

I am all for real discussion & spirited debate when it comes to my beloved Dukes. I have no problem with opinions that run counter to mine or admitting that one of my crackpot theories is wrong. (In fact, I would be super-happy if Marcus were to become a star because…you know… this is the team I want to be great.)

You may have noticed that you have already posted to this board more times in less than 2 years than I have in 6+ years. That is mostly an attempt to avoid this sort of thing. I am here for the information and to this point, commiseration provided by most of the posters here. I have certainly offended a few folks during that time with an overly strident opinion or 2. I feel my I.Q. going down a few points every time I get in a cyber-scrape with a fellow poster so I try to avoid it.  The difference here is that you are cutting into my ability to enjoy what appears to be the great revival wished for by Dukes fans.

P.S.

Presidents Trump, Obama, Clinton, & Bush II; Saddam Hussein, Bill Belichick, Coach K, Bobby Knight, Art Modell, Terry Francona, Sandy Alomar JR., Manny Acta, & Eric Wedge

I am willing to bet that you have a definitive opinion on most or all of these men. I would also bet that some of them you really don’t care for based on reasons of your choosing. I would make a third wager that you have even used some impolite terminology for some of these fellows that don’t strike your fancy. My final wager would be that you came to these negative opinions & nasty words without having gone to the offices of the meanies in question to have a chat.

After, (honestly), going through the exercise above, do you still have a problem with my personal opinion of KD's public persona?

OK  here goes: 
1.  I made the comment in a post in another thread that I thought the team would be greatly improved if Wade beat out Carry.  Some misunderstood and I clarified my statement.  If Wade beat out Carry and Carry is as good as we think...Wade would then have to be better.  Not only better but better than what Carry would be when Wade finally beat him out because the competition would push Carry to be better.  You did not suggest that someone beat out Weathers....you used the word "relegate".  In case you don't know the meaning https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/relegate.  There is a difference.

2. You inplyed that Weathers is a low IQ enforcer.  In another post you wrote that Weathers had a "low basketball IQ".  You also wrote that you think he would be good  " 4-5 minutes a game of maximum rebounding and defensive intensity".  You need to clarify this if you did not mean to imply that Weathers should be considered an enforcer.  We had a guy last year that was brought in for toughness and physicality that did not have the skills to play at the A10 level. Suggesting that Weathers did not have the skill, was basically stupid and would be good for 4-5 minutes a game for added physical intensity suggest that he is a thug with limited talent.

3. Yes your list of names does cause me to have positive or negative feelings. My daughter is in 5th grade and some kids (and probably teachers) want to start indoctrinating them in political issues.  I tell her she is to young and that she can decide later in her life...not to worry about any of that.  She has no idea how I feel about Trump, Clinton, LGBT, abortion or any other hot topic.  You can go to the 2 forums I have posted in the past and see if I ever made negative comments about any of the people you mentioned or any other political figure...or player or coach.  Pre-crime or everybody does it....lame defense.  You did not take the time to meet Dambrot or investigate what he did or stood for in the past.  You just got pissed off because he made a stupid comment to someone you like and respect.  And he apologized.  You....made it personal with Dambrot and Weathers and have yet to clarify or apologize.

Done

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/21/2019 12:44 am)

1/21/2019 12:38 am  #67

duq81 wrote:

Face wrote:

I can see Phil's point. It's juvenile to continuously put the same comments after nearly every post. Make your point, and then move on.

Yes...it probably is juvenile.  But I would not want to stay in a forum where you can make personal criticism of players, coaches or other alumni but not criticize or call out forum members for making those comments (personal comments should never be accepted IMO). In every case I have tried to support my defense of Weathers with data and not make personal comments.  I am a guest here and will move on if you think I have stepped over the line.  I am sorry if I have offended you.  

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/21/2019 1:12 am)

1/21/2019 2:01 am  #68

Dsnyder15 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

P.S.

OK  here goes: 
1.  I made the comment in a post that I thought the team would be greatly improved if Wade beat out Carry.  Some misunderstood and I clarified my statement.  If Wade beat out Carry and Carry is as good as we think...Wade would then have to be better.  Not only better but better than what Carry would be when Wade finally beat him out because the competition would push Carry to be better.  You did not suggest that someone beat out Weathers....you used the word "relegate".  In case you don't know the meaning https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/relegate.  There is a difference.

2. You inplyed that Weathers is a low IQ enforcer.  In another post you wrote that Weathers had a "low basketball IQ".  You also wrote that you think he would be good  " 4-5 minutes a game of maximum rebounding and defensive intensity".  You need to clarify this if you did not mean to imply that Weathers should be considered an enforcer.  We had a guy last year that was brought in for toughness and physicality that did not have the skills to play at the A10 level. Suggesting that Weathers did not have the skill, was basically stupid and would be good for 4-5 minutes a game for added physical intensity suggest that he is a thug with limited talent.

3. Yes your list of names does cause me to have positive or negative feelings. My daughter is in 5th grade and some kids (and probably teachers) want to start indoctrinating them in political issues.  I tell her she is to young and that she can decide later in her life...not to worry about any of that.  She has no idea how I feel about Trump, Clinton, LGBT, abortion or any other hot topic.  You can go to the 2 forums I have posted in the past and see if I ever made negative comments about any of the people you mentioned or any other political figure...or player or coach.  Pre-crime or everybody does it....lame defense.  You did not take the time to meet Dambrot or investigate what he did or stood for in the past.  You just got pissed off because he made a stupid comment to someone you like and respect.  And he apologized.  You....made it personal with Dambrot and Weathers and have yet to clarify or apologize.

Done

1. At the moment,there is nobody to beat out Weathers. I am saying simply that he isn't in my opinion, likely to be good enough to own a starting role on an A-10 Championship caliber team over the next two seasons.

Also, great job of avoiding the fact that I actually suggested Marcus would be a "great" backup rather than the "adequate" backup you attributed to me half a dozen times.

2.Tis you that decided I view Marcus as being thuggish or an enforcer. I have no thoughts that that would be his role. His skill level is far beyond that. I wrote nothing of the sort.

I maintain my opinion that Marcus's BASKETBALL I.Q. is lacking. He makes too many coverage, rotation,& positioning mistakes for someone that is 50 games into his career & nearly 22 years old. How many times will he try to draw a charge while standing in the restricted circle?

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with an assessment of his general intelligence. I cannot write knowledgeably about that. He seems like a great teammate.

Multiple posts have made me understand that I was a bit unclear. Allow me to clarify. I think it would be a cool option if, for 4 or 5 minutes in some games, against big lineups, in addtion to his minutes at the 4 that he play the 3 to maximize rebounding & defensive intensity as these are strengths of his.

3.Now I understand. Since you met Saddam its ok for you to tell your friends & family he is a murderous tyrant but since I didn't take the time to meet him, I should reserve judgement.

I knew there was no way you would respond to this honestly.That,is lame.

Normal fans don't walk unannounced into athletics offices & ask for a quick sitdown with the head basketball coach. Stalkers do. Your suggestion to do so is ludicrous.I have far too much respect for people's time to consider such a thing. Also, what would we talk about? (Gee coach, could you play a bit more zone for me.)

When going on my "KD Tool" rant I gave 4 reasons for my opinion. I could have given a few more but it seemed like overkill.I came to this conclusion after reading, over the course of 18 months,quite a bit about the coach & observing his behavior.

It's just my opinion. You're going to have to live with it. I am still crazy happy he is coaching the Dukes.

I do thank you though for telling me exactly how I felt, feel, & have acted. Your assessment is quite meaningful to me.

KD has a very public job. I doubt he takes such ravings personally. Just in case though, I am ready to apologize for hurting his delicate feelings and yours just as soon as the coach publicly admits that his behavior during the Penn State game was unprofessional & a poor example for his student athletes.

1/21/2019 7:19 am  #69

Wow... all these long essays over such minute topics.   I really don’t mean to offend but you sound like Niles and Frazier.
Lighten up gentlemen and enjoy a winning team!

Last edited by coffee (1/21/2019 7:24 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

1/21/2019 8:35 am  #70

WashPaRick wrote:

Ritter probably warming up those typing fingers.

Well, since you asked. . . . 
1. Great start but didn't like the way they relaxed second part of first half. 
2. The two offensive fouls on Hughes late in game comes from coaching, or non coaching. The rules have changed. Hope someone is working on this in practice.
3. When they played with urgency, they are twice the team GW is.
4. They pass the ball well.
5. This is the first team I remember that is good at blocking shots. Think I remember 3 during one possession.
6. The biggest threat to their offense is turnovers, but you can say that about most teams.
7. The guards driving to the basket is one of their most effective plays on offense.
8. Still think they are middle of pack A-10  team but heading up. NIT.

1/21/2019 9:40 am  #71

Loved the subtle move of putting 6'11" Gavin Bizeau in the middle of the GW 2/3 zone at the foul line.  He turned around on a couple of occasions and actually canned a jumper from the elbow. And he made some effective passes to teammates open spots.  It is the little things like that that help win games.  Kudos to the coaching staff.   

1/21/2019 10:40 am  #72

Phil & Dsnyder both of you guys bring a lot to this discussion board.  I would be disappointed if either one of you left this board over this disagreement.  I have found out personally these forums are not the best way to communicate. Guys that I use to have intense disagreements with on this board (putting it mildly) now communicate as friends on the private message feature of this board, and even personal phone calls.  We still disagree on some things on this board but try to do so in a way that respects the person. The things in common are greater than the disagreements.  

As for Marcus, I now am convinced that what we saw in the early games was the shedding the rust, and over the last 4 games he has proved himself to be one heck of a player.  I also believe that we have not seen his best basketball yet as he keeps getting better.  I think this can be said of all the transfers that sat out last year.  Mike, Frankie, and TDM all are playing great basketball and embracing their roles, This team is really starting to gel.    Go Dukes!

1/21/2019 11:28 am  #73

Hughes makes the same 2 errors, hooking that arm on drives in the paint and setting illegal/moving picks.  That might be on coaching, if you assume coaches havent talked to him about it.
But if he cleans up those 2 things, and stays healthy and out of foul troubles, he can be first team A10, and depending on final standings, he could be POY in A10.  Will need to dominate but heck, he seems to get better each time out.
The first game vs W&M I saw something in him we just havent seen at DU, and that is intensity.  

Last edited by townsonkid (1/21/2019 11:29 am)

1/21/2019 11:44 am  #74

rittersdiner wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Ritter probably warming up those typing fingers.

Well, since you asked. . . . 
1. Great start but didn't like the way they relaxed second part of first half. 
2. The two offensive fouls on Hughes late in game comes from coaching, or non coaching. The rules have changed. Hope someone is working on this in practice.
3. When they played with urgency, they are twice the team GW is.
4. They pass the ball well.
5. This is the first team I remember that is good at blocking shots. Think I remember 3 during one possession.
6. The biggest threat to their offense is turnovers, but you can say that about most teams.
7. The guards driving to the basket is one of their most effective plays on offense.
8. Still think they are middle of pack A-10  team but heading up. NIT.

Most optimistic ritters post of all time???? You make some good points, and I too have been extremely impressed with the ball movement on offense. Every once in a while they make a rushed or bad pass that causes a turnover, but experience will likely limit those moving forward.

Mike Hughes has to be one of the better posts we have had in how long? I saw Ovie and Saunders, and I feel he is just as good (realize him and Saunders especially were very different players) as both as a Sophomore. I think he has the best overall interior game I’ve seen at DU. He has an array post moves and makes a lot of difficult shots. Takes contact and draws fouls and still makes shots. Makes free throws too. Rebounds well defensively and BLOCKS a ton of shots. Emphasis on blocks because he usually sends em’ back with authority!

I talked to him once when I ran into him on campus. Super nice kid. Him, Carry, and EW are probably also the best 3 man core that I think we’ve had in my 9 years watching the Dukes. Doesn’t even consider all the other good players contributing (Weathers, Frankie, TDM), the freshman getting experience (Rotroff, Kelly, Wade and a little Bizzaue now), and apparently a super talented kid in Maceo Austin and apparently also Elis!

I’m feeling like things are lookin WAY up.

1/21/2019 12:14 pm  #75

grammudder wrote:

Loved the subtle move of putting 6'11" Gavin Bizeau in the middle of the GW 2/3 zone at the foul line.  He turned around on a couple of occasions and actually canned a jumper from the elbow. And he made some effective passes to teammates open spots.  It is the little things like that that help win games.  Kudos to the coaching staff.   

I noticed that too.  That's pretty far away to play someone with that height but it was another weapon added and hopefully shows him he will not be forgotten and transfer out.

Coach is at the point of adding some frills.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

Board footera