Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2019 1:00 am  #1

I HOPE THE ATHLETIC DEPT DOESNT MUCK IT UP AGAIN

To the SOBs who are in charge of  the game day experience at Palumbo ,please treat the folks who show up
for these next 3 games in a first class manor.The  Duquesne fan deserves better.
  These people are your customers and if you treat your customers right maybe attendance improves.Maybe a food truck could feed some of our fans, extra concessions inside Palumbo,and ancillary personell  available to help expedite people to their seats and help to get them on their way home after the game in a timely manner.

I plan on sending a message to Coach Dambrot about the shabby  way our fans get treated.He has said
everything concerning Duquesne basketball has to be first class and we have a wonderful coach and some talented
assistants recruiting some very talented players.Everything Duquesne is doing I am happy with except the way our
fans are treated-it is a half hearted effort by whoever oversees the fan experience.Duquesne can not afford
to have  big crowds and have it messed up by goofs in charge who can't find their ass. Folks won't come back.The
same old way Duquesne does business at Palumbo just won't fit with the coaches demands for excellence in
everything Duquesne does concerning basketball.
The thinking that the new field house, everything will be first class.Thats 2 years away and the ST,LOUIS game is
coming up, a chance to do things right and treat Dukes fans the right way.Dukes fans deserve better.

1/21/2019 1:35 am  #2

Re: I HOPE THE ATHLETIC DEPT DOESNT MUCK IT UP AGAIN

stew wrote:

To the SOBs who are in charge of  the game day experience at Palumbo ,please treat the folks who show up
for these next 3 games in a first class manor.The  Duquesne fan deserves better.
  These people are your customers and if you treat your customers right maybe attendance improves.Maybe a food truck could feed some of our fans, extra concessions inside Palumbo,and ancillary personell  available to help expedite people to their seats and help to get them on their way home after the game in a timely manner.

I plan on sending a message to Coach Dambrot about the shabby  way our fans get treated.He has said
everything concerning Duquesne basketball has to be first class and we have a wonderful coach and some talented
assistants recruiting some very talented players.Everything Duquesne is doing I am happy with except the way our
fans are treated-it is a half hearted effort by whoever oversees the fan experience.Duquesne can not afford
to have  big crowds and have it messed up by goofs in charge who can't find their ass. Folks won't come back.The
same old way Duquesne does business at Palumbo just won't fit with the coaches demands for excellence in
everything Duquesne does concerning basketball.
The thinking that the new field house, everything will be first class.Thats 2 years away and the ST,LOUIS game is
coming up, a chance to do things right and treat Dukes fans the right way.Dukes fans deserve better.

My man, slow your roll. We’re bringing in good players as you’ve highlighted. There has to be a reason for that. We’re still small time and should expect similar treatment to this point as it relates to game day. Things will work themselves out as we progress.

I’m a season tick holder, when I go in, I don’t wait. When I go to concessions to get a beer, I don’t wait. Maybe your timing isn’t great. Not saying things are perfect because they could be much better. That being said, maybe go yell at a cloud, cause things could be a hell of a lot worse.

Winning will bring them in. Our university committed to $45mm in renovations. Good night.

PS, referring to people who work there as “SOBs” is ridiculously strong. They may not be great, but get off your high horse. Duques are winning and that’s what I have my eye on.

1/21/2019 7:50 am  #3

I’ve never been badly treated at Palumbo.

My only complaint is that they don’t carry Duquesne Beer!

Last edited by coffee (1/21/2019 9:19 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/21/2019 9:18 am  #4

I agree with a lot of what is in the other facility thread as well as what Coffee says - never really been treated badly.  And I agree Stew is a bit over the top here.

But he isn't wrong in that now that Duquesne's product is improving it is also time to improve what happens in the facility because we will attract others who haven't been coming regularly and we want to encourage them to come again. 

Since I have a season ticket and almost never worry about concessions I'm not a great example here.  But I have seen long lines at the ticket window, moderately long lines at concessions and have tasted some rather poor food there when I've decided to buy something.  I've experienced other people sitting in my seats or nearby who obviously haven't paid for the ticket I paid for and I shouldn't be responsible for chasing them out. 

Maybe Duquesne isn't doing anything now but will with the new facility.  I hope the intent is not to short the game day experience to save money while it is spent elsewhere.  Everything should be top notch.  Somewhere else, El Duque, I believe, mentioned hiring students to work there - if they aren't doing that I agree.  That would help to an extent. 

And, Stew, I would send the message to Harper and Pres. Gormley as well as or even instead of Coach.  Let's make Duquesne first class all the way.  Let's make the new facility as much of a showplace for visitors as possible.  If necessary, they can see examples of things to do, on a more modest scale of course, in PPG Arena and PNC Park (the best ballpark with the worst management team).   Maybe it's time they ask some of the regular season ticket holders including those who are modest donors and not only the high rollers about their game day experience and about their suggestions.

1/21/2019 9:34 am  #5

Agree.  We kind of get what we pay for but creating an atmosphere is vital to this generation of students and younger fans.  I think we’re trying but look at the pregame at Vegas and the PPG center and the Pete.  It could be a more professional package at the Palumbo and hopefully the Coop.

But if you want to see Bush league, look at Rooney.  That place has so much potential but it looks like a community park.  High schools don’t even play there anymore.   If they turn the benches around on Academic Walk it would actually measurably increase seating.

Forget the sight lines of the beautiful? south Side and put nine more rows on top of the home side and real stands in the west end zone and visitors side.  Make it a horseshoe layout that looks like an FCS university and not a community college.  That will attract fans and recruits better.

I cringe when they show game clips on TV of the not so grandstands on the visitors side.  What is the message to a pro scout looking at tapes?  If not,  play at Highmark... it’s a fantastic stadium!

I do appreciate the beer garden.

Last edited by coffee (1/21/2019 9:36 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

1/21/2019 9:41 am  #6

By the way, Stew... How does one get to become a “Knight of Palumbo”?

That’s pretty cool!

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

1/21/2019 10:39 am  #7

Mulder wrote:

I agree with a lot of what is in the other facility thread as well as what Coffee says - never really been treated badly.  And I agree Stew is a bit over the top here.

But he isn't wrong in that now that Duquesne's product is improving it is also time to improve what happens in the facility because we will attract others who haven't been coming regularly and we want to encourage them to come again. 

Since I have a season ticket and almost never worry about concessions I'm not a great example here.  But I have seen long lines at the ticket window, moderately long lines at concessions and have tasted some rather poor food there when I've decided to buy something.  I've experienced other people sitting in my seats or nearby who obviously haven't paid for the ticket I paid for and I shouldn't be responsible for chasing them out. 

Maybe Duquesne isn't doing anything now but will with the new facility.  I hope the intent is not to short the game day experience to save money while it is spent elsewhere.  Everything should be top notch.  Somewhere else, El Duque, I believe, mentioned hiring students to work there - if they aren't doing that I agree.  That would help to an extent. 

And, Stew, I would send the message to Harper and Pres. Gormley as well as or even instead of Coach.  Let's make Duquesne first class all the way.  Let's make the new facility as much of a showplace for visitors as possible.  If necessary, they can see examples of things to do, on a more modest scale of course, in PPG Arena and PNC Park (the best ballpark with the worst management team).   Maybe it's time they ask some of the regular season ticket holders including those who are modest donors and not only the high rollers about their game day experience and about their suggestions.

I have also come to a number of games this year where people have been sitting in my seats. Depending on the day, I will typically just sit somewhere else but sometimes I will ask them to move. Now that we are in the thick of the A10 schedule I will likely sit in my seats regardless. That said, through all the criticisms re Palumbo I hadn’t heard one person note that there really isn’t a bad seat at Palumbo, part of why I usually will just sit in another spot.

As someone else stated so well, I view my season tickets as my modest contribution to the basketball program and don’t have any problem with students or others sitting in seats they maybe shouldn’t be. As this team gets better and better and actually has more than 40% of capacity filled, that will work itself out and people will be where they are supposed to be sitting.

Regarding lines, as a season ticket holder you receive all your tickets upfront obviously, so waiting there is not an issue. With concessions and bathrooms, I’ll go to either during one of the 4 long media timeouts during each half. I have never waited in line for more than a minute doing this. I go to a decent amount of NFL games, which are run in a “first class manner” by all those employed and guess what? Lines for bathrooms and concessions are HORRIBLE throughout games. We have it pretty good in terms of lines at Palumbo.

If you don’t have season tickets and regularly go to games, you are probably spending significantly more than you should be and should just get the season tix. For example, I am in row 1 on the aisle and the face value on each of my tickets is less than 6 bucks.

1/21/2019 10:45 am  #8

I also don’t want my last post to seem like I am happy with the current state of the game day experience, there is so much left wanting but there are also some positives.

We are about to have a first class arena, hopefully the staffing follows suit but I honestly don’t care all that much. I’m there for the action on the court which continues to get better and better.

Eat somewhere else before the game (Milanos) because the food is sh**. Go to bathrooms and concessions during media timeouts because you won’t wait.

And as Yak states, by far the cheapest beer you’ll ever get at a sporting event.

1/21/2019 11:21 am  #9

My 2 season ticket seats often have people in them when I get there 30 minutes before tip, i dont bother anybody, happy to see DU fans there at least.  But I have found the old red upper deck nice as 10 rows behind our bench.   But Wednesday I will be back in my seat, regardless.  

fwiw, buddy got me a ticket to see Duke tomorrow night, I hope Duke takes them behind the wood shed early.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/21/2019 11:22 am)

1/21/2019 11:39 am  #10

I have three successful sons who graduated from Duquesne (as did I) and years ago would go to the games with myself & their frat brothers. (I still go) All three including their friends have become skeptical of the program.  If DUQ wants to make a positive impression and get folks like these back, then in addition to #1 winning,  you need to quickly serve the 'walk up' ticket purchasing public,  the folks inside who want a beer and a hotdog, and sufficient restroom  facilities.   Why not start by adding additional people who can adequately serve the public?

1/21/2019 11:43 am  #11

I just want  a large crowd on Wednesday night and I want fans going home after the Dukes win to
have enjoyed the game and experience.Duquesne has  a chance to attract some younger fans and
develop a new fan base.
 Put 4,000 people in the seats at Palumbo and Dukes win Wednesday.The Dukes will play with fire
and be focused.I am passionate and I want all the best for Duquesne to succeed.
 Coach Dambrot has made it clear that Duquesne must do everything in a first class manner and one
example he spoke of was a clean dressing room with no towels laying on the floor.It might seem trivial
but he was serious.I take that kind of thinking to heart .No more Rhode Island  goofs where a lot of  our
fans miss the opening tipoff because they are standing in line  outside.The casual fan will not come back
and Dukes lose a customer who might  have become a follower of the Dukes, a season ticket holder.
Duquesne needs to win at everything we do, win that moment, win at keeping all who attend have a great
time.GO DUKES.

1/21/2019 12:05 pm  #12

gjgsr is right on.Duquesne needs  to change the perception amongst its younger alumni that Duquesne
wants to be a player in college basketball.I am 64 years old and I don't care that much about my experience but I realize its different for younger fans who want to be catered to.,be comfortable, with drink
and food readily available.

1/21/2019 12:08 pm  #13

Stew- I learned a lesson from the Everhart Era to order my tickets ahead of time or on-line to avoid the walk up window.  There were some big crowds that caught the Palumbo staff by surprise when Ron first started turning things around...

Hopefully we get the same increase in crowds AND can handle it.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

1/21/2019 12:09 pm  #14

DUQUESNE TICKET OFFICE INFORMATION
The Duquesne University Athletic Ticket Office is located in the A. J. Palumbo Center at Gate A.

600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Phone: 412-232-DUKE (3853)DUQUESNE TICKET OFFICE HOURS / GAME DAY HOURS
Monday - Friday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Weekend or additional hours are subject to scheduled events.
On game day, the Ticket Office will be open 90 minutes prior to start time.

1/21/2019 12:14 pm  #15

I go to about 15 games a year. Have never been treated "badly".
It's more an issue of incompetence or apathy.
I still do not know the purpose or job responsibilities of the " yellow shirts."
What do they do? Why are they there? 
As I have previously stated the folks in the ticket office often seem confused.
You guys are much more polite/patient than I am.
If anyone is ever in the seats I paid for I will ask them to move.
Looking forward to these next few home games.
Hopefully the staff at Palumbo are ready and the game is all we care about and focus on.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

1/21/2019 12:16 pm  #16

Good points by both of you re appealing to the “casual fan”. That is important to getting the attendance up. We all just want a packed Palumbo. The crowd was great at the St. Joes game in terms of noise and atmosphere and this was noted by KD. We need it even louder this Wednesday.

I’ve said this a couple times and I’ll say it again. It seems minor but one thing that I truly believe would help bring back students and young people would be updating the HORRIBLY OUTDATED MUSIC that is played during games. Students won’t come back until they perceive going to games as being “cool”, the biggest part of that is winning but atmosphere is important as well. The band does a great job but the music they play through the speakers is basically what was popular when I was in high school, 10-14 years ago, or longer. It’s worse to try and fail horribly than not try at all. We’d be better off with just the band if they don’t update music.

Play what is “cool” now, the students are the biggest contributor to providing a “home field adavantage” from an atmosphere perspective. Play music that will hype them up, it also hypes up the players I’ve seen it first hand. The music was such a turn off for a lot of my fellow students when I was at DU. You need to make it a party atmosphere for the kids and they will show up and be loud, especially if we are winning.

I have plenty of suggestions and do not know who to direct them too.

All the big time schools do this btw. You need it to be loud and current to get the young kids going. This again is such an easy adjustment.

Last edited by Duques102 (1/21/2019 12:29 pm)

1/21/2019 12:24 pm  #17

Can anyone think of any games played at Palumbo that were as important as these next 3 games are?
Dukes can win all 3 as Ive seen all 3 play and they are pretty good but so are the DUKES.

1/21/2019 2:53 pm  #18

I am an out of towner who only gets to a few games a season. I think Stew makes a couple points about the game day experience D.U. can learn from.  The last time I bought tickets at the walk-up window was for the URI game ( I believe that was the opponent) after the 5 game winning streak Ron's first season .  That experience taught me to obtain tickets any other way.  Of course, I've been back many times, but I am sure many "casual fans" were sufficiently turned off that day and they have not returned.  Palumbo handles the crowds fine at half capacity, but if Dambrot gets his wish, then DU would be wise to avoid a repeat of what happened back then.  The "new" fans we are hoping to bring in will not be forgiving just because a new facility is set to open 2 years from now.  I know that new bathrooms and concessions can't be built by Wed night, however, I hope the athletic dept will do all in it's power to make the Palumbo experience better on Wed. night.  The food truck idea is a good one. More staff at ticket windows and at concessions please .    I also think with an 8pm start, that DU could announce that the parking tower will be available starting at 7pm and free parking with a game ticket.  Let's make the place as comfortable as possible to everyone but the Bilikens. 

1/21/2019 8:14 pm  #19

Geez guys give this new AD a break. What’s in the past Colleary & the Quinnipiac Clown are thankfully gone. Dave did raise a sh** load of $ for the newly renovated arena. God forbid coach Dambrot ends up 500 in conference play. Relax my friends.

1/21/2019 9:52 pm  #20

Ironduke81 wrote:

Geez guys give this new AD a break. What’s in the past Colleary & the Quinnipiac Clown are thankfully gone. Dave did raise a sh** load of $ for the newly renovated arena. God forbid coach Dambrot ends up 500 in conference play. Relax my friends.

The new AD has been the AD for 3 and 1/2 years now.  He isn’t new.     

Selling tickets and getting people into the building should have been addressed by now.   These aren’t petty complaints.  If you want people to come back, you have to make it easy to get in.    Plain and simple.   And you have to make it easy for non season ticket holders.   If you want people to come back, making them wait outside to buy tickets and then longer to get in won’t bring casual fans back. 

Here are two simple things to do for Wednesday.  Staff with a bullhorn directing people where to go for will call.  That gets them out of the main ticket ticket line. 

Sell those upper bleacher seats as cash only general admission and do that at gate B.  Gets them out of the main line as well. 

Two simple efforts will clear that main ticket line up.   And make sure all ticket gates are open to get them through. 

I give him a pass on the concessions and bathrooms.   That will come to pass with renovations.

1/22/2019 6:09 am  #21

I remember that Rhode Island game and the "problems" with the Ticket Office -  One employee from the Ticket Office - even grabbed a bunch of general admission tickets - walked outside and was going up and down the line - and selling them to people to try to have "the equivalent of a third window open"

DON'T KNOW IF HE TURNED THE MONEY IN AFTERWARDS OR JUST POCKETED IT!!!

1/22/2019 6:59 am  #22

Coach on The Fan at 8 this morning.

1/22/2019 7:54 am  #23

IDK, maybe I am wrong, or seen this act before, but I am not expecting the mad rush to AJP like its a black Friday at wal mart.  Win tomorrow, maybe Saturday gets some more azzes in the seats.
There are only 7 games left in AJP, I dont think DU will reinvent the process of admission for 7 games.  Just gonna have to deal with it.

But, I will get there a little earlier tomorrow, just in case(wink wink).

Its good coach is on radio, wish it wasnt with those azz clowns on 93.7, but they have the listeners.  

1/22/2019 8:16 am  #24

WashPaRick wrote:

Coach on The Fan at 8 this morning.

Coach says we no longer have any jrs. or srs. on the team, looks like Kellen must be done.

1/22/2019 9:09 am  #25

Dang, some guys seem to have a rope in hand and just looking for a tree.  I am not saying there is not a problem, but just trying to size it up and assessing responsibility. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the operations of Palumbo is not the responsibility of the AD but falls under Facilities, and they contract out the "Game Day Operation" to a third party vendor.  This doesn't mean the AD can't express his disappointment or offer suggestions, but that he may have little control over the situation. In any event, I have heard Dave is a very accessible guy and wonder if any of you have emailed him your ideas and got any response?  

Board footera