Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2013 4:06 pm  #51

Re: Winters Transferring...

Not until DU wins 18+ games a year for 4+ years will the program be on stable ground.  Players will continue to come and go.  We wont get the big time players, we wont beat out BCS schools.  So either Ferry has got to coach his butt off or we need to find some under the radar guys who can play some ball,  but likely both need to happen to get back to the NIT.

IMO, Winters is the loss of this "exodus".  The 2 bigs were not good/hardly played.  Binney might have been a nice player, but is stuck behind Colter.  KP likes soccer more.

If Mason can play this year, and the 2 in-coming guards can score, AND the 2 bigs can box out and rebound, there is a chance DU starts heading in the right direction.
I hope Ovie Soko comes in and starts punching dudes in the face if they act like punks.

But I aint holding my breath.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/16/2013 4:08 pm)

4/16/2013 4:26 pm  #52

duq81 wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Winters was the only player that mattered.

Bingo. The rest were guys who can't play at this level. When you go 8-22, that means you don't have enough talent. Most of them couldn't play at the NEC level, which Bobby Mo showed us. I guess we should have kept them all, so that the 8-22 seasons would keep coming.

I would have tried to figure out a way to keep him. All freshmen get homesick. I did. Fortunately I had family and friends who were willing to push and challenge me. 

Next year you have a couple key players coming from Toronto. What if they get homesick? Start over? Is this why Ferry needs 10 years to build?

4/16/2013 4:58 pm  #53

Even if they are not your guys, they might serve as depth for a season or so. What's the plan? Have five first-year players and four second-year players play key roles on the team.

Six wins next year, 7 the next, if they are lucky.

4/16/2013 4:58 pm  #54

Sorry, I don't get the bashing either, Zeise is just reporting the facts and Duq 81 you hit the nail on the head with your comment on this Board and the Yuku Board.

4/16/2013 5:20 pm  #55

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Bingo. The rest were guys who can't play at this level. When you go 8-22, that means you don't have enough talent. Most of them couldn't play at the NEC level, which Bobby Mo showed us. I guess we should have kept them all, so that the 8-22 seasons would keep coming.

I would have tried to figure out a way to keep him. All freshmen get homesick. I did. Fortunately I had family and friends who were willing to push and challenge me. 

Next year you have a couple key players coming from Toronto. What if they get homesick? Start over? Is this why Ferry needs 10 years to build?

Good point El Duque.  It is the coach who is responsible for team bonding.  I would think that seeing your buddy (Binney) getting the boot did not generate a lot of comfort for Winters.  The rule of unintended consequences.  Not saying that Winters was not homesick but certainly after that it became a hard sell to keep him.  But hey, Ferry is doing what he thinks is needed to win.  Now he needs to win.  Another season like last year and Amodio should get the boot.

Last edited by CLK (4/16/2013 5:48 pm)

4/16/2013 5:59 pm  #56

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Toronto is a heck of a lot closer to Pittsburgh than people think it is. Both spent time a lot further from home.

4/16/2013 6:42 pm  #57

Just as an aside, these Coaches kill me that jump positions prior to sanctions being imposed.  Calipari is the King of this move after UMass and Memphis and now I wonder how much Chip Kelly's descision to jump to the Eagles was predicated on the realization that the hammer was coming down - 2 year penalty just announced. Sorry if this should be a separate thread.

4/16/2013 6:54 pm  #58

See here, Mr. Brightside there is something on which we agree. Calipari's a piece of human crap. He wins wherever he goes but he's always one step ahead of the law. One day, the NCAA will grow a pair of man b*lls and suspend cheating piles of turd coaches for 3-5 years and leave the programs they've tainted alone.

BUT ... Zeise doesn't have to write anything damning. The facts speak for themselves. Losing Winters is a big time tire iron across the knees of the program. He could have been a star here.

Those of you who love and defend Colter, that's your choice. Look at the stats. He took more shots than the next two guys on this team, and he had a 1,000 point scorer (whom Ferry chose to give less PT so he could see more of Winters and Jeremiah Jones). We'll be stronger with Tra'vaughn White at the point this year, and hopefully Severe at the two. Let's hope these guys won't be entering the Ferry revolving door too.

4/16/2013 7:18 pm  #59

CLK how many wins are the equivalent to the boot. Me personally its not about the wins but rather then rebuilding the alumni & fan base. Maybe more then 10 students show up for a game. Please if the Dukes win they will come is bullsh*t. I saw REs 11 game run no sellout.How about the coach moving to Pittsburgh & reach out wow what a concept.Its time for big boy leadership this program has hit rock bottom. No koolaid today. Soory to be negative I love Duquesne but at this point this program is a joke both locally & on a national basis. 

4/16/2013 7:36 pm  #60

You missed it Iron Duke. The only thing that Amodio should & will be evaluated on is the men's basketball program. We're hoping our new players will really turn things around!

We may be #3 in Pittsburgh by everyone else's standard, but in our eyes we're clearly in a dogfight with Pitt and the ACC for the #1 spot.

I'll be back when the drugs wear off.

4/16/2013 8:06 pm  #61

Ironduke81 wrote:

How about the coach moving to Pittsburgh & reach out wow what a concept.. 

What do you mean by this?   He hasn't moved here yet?   That can't be a good sign.

4/16/2013 8:29 pm  #62

The two properties in Merrick, NY public records for the Ferry's were last sold in 2003. Either they're renting them out or there may be truth to the fact that he has one foot in NY.

4/16/2013 8:40 pm  #63

By the by, CLK's right on the bottom of the first page. I've mentioned on Yuku before too - just participating in fan communities like the ones we have put you under the definition of a "booster," according to the Compliance section of goduquesne.com. Best to be careful.

Last edited by TheFace (4/16/2013 9:10 pm)

4/16/2013 8:50 pm  #64

Well it not a good sign, if your new coach won't move here permanently. 

4/16/2013 9:52 pm  #65

He has bought a house, go check it out, it is public information.

4/16/2013 9:57 pm  #66

I'm pretty sure the delay was beacuse of one of his kids close to graduating HS or something? 

4/16/2013 10:15 pm  #67

Thanks for the info.

4/16/2013 10:37 pm  #68

Q lost a member of his family, but none of you cold hearted people care about that. You want him to get over it, but you can't get over RE. Crazy.

4/17/2013 7:24 am  #69

duq81 wrote:

Q lost a member of his family, but none of you cold hearted people care about that. You want him to get over it, but you can't get over RE. Crazy.

Don't recall hearing about it when it happened at the time. Understand it's personal, but troubles and struggles of so many players become public knowledge.

Sometimes there's even some show of support ... as there has been with RE.

4/17/2013 8:22 am  #70

I'm with youi Duq81, Winters is the only player that people are disappointed he was transferring, but his reasons are justifiable and frankly commendable.  Moreover, another nice fact based analysis in this morning's PG by Zeise - thanks Paul for calling it as it is!!!!

4/17/2013 8:24 am  #71

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Don't recall hearing about it when it happened at the time. Understand it's personal, but troubles and struggles of so many players become public knowledge.

Death can be a tough thing to deal with. While I was in my sophomore year, I lost a sister, two uncles, a grandfather, and one of my closest friends within a 6 month period. I can't imagine how tough it would have been if I had been 600 miles away from home.

4/17/2013 9:03 am  #72

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I'm just remembering it now but I do recall that it was in December as he and Colter were away from the team for funerals of family members to attend. Winters actually showed up a few minutes into the RMU game coming straight from the airport on that Saturday night.

4/17/2013 9:05 am  #73

No disagreement. I just don't think any lack of empathy or sympathy is part of the equation in Winters' case, or in the case of any other player.

But when you have >60% roster turnover, including 50% of Ferry's own recruits, I think it's reasonable to be concerned. People cried like babies when there was turnover on RE's roster, but he came here after 30 years of blight and decay, had a much better first season, started winning in year two, and never had a losing season here.

We still need to see some results for Jimmy Ferry.

That's the point more than Winters.

4/17/2013 9:07 am  #74

Brian wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I'm just remembering it now but I do recall that it was in December as he and Colter were away from the team for funerals of family members to attend. Winters actually showed up a few minutes into the RMU game coming straight from the airport on that Saturday night.

I remember the situation with Colter but not Winters. Apologies.

4/17/2013 11:56 am  #75

ElDuque wrote:

No disagreement. I just don't think any lack of empathy or sympathy is part of the equation in Winters' case, or in the case of any other player.

But when you have >60% roster turnover, including 50% of Ferry's own recruits, I think it's reasonable to be concerned. People cried like babies when there was turnover on RE's roster, but he came here after 30 years of blight and decay, had a much better first season, started winning in year two, and never had a losing season here.

We still need to see some results for Jimmy Ferry.

That's the point more than Winters.

No one complained about turnover under RE until about his fifth year. He cleaned house when he got here, and then lost his two best freshmen after his first year, one of which (Mitchell), was a far better player than Winters. No one complained. When Kojo, and Shawn left, everyone trashed them, not RE. It wasn't until Quan left that people began to grumble. When Air Jamica left, the grumbling became louder, and TJ was when the doo doo hit the fan.

As for RE having a much better first season, they won 2 more games, and collapsed at the end. Better, yes, but hardly "much better".

Board footera