Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2019 10:24 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - La Salle Explorers

Observations from the arena:

There's no doubt that Sin wasn't 100 percent last night. He didn't take the halftime warmup, and coach had him on the bench when Powell and their big guy went out. I thought that was a chance to make a run, but instead we fell behind by more. I know they need to save him minutes when they can, but this team doesn't flow at all without him.

Really got nothing from Frank and TDM. If those guys aren't serving as complementary scorers, we struggle. Marcus and Mike dominated the paint offensively, but when our 3s don't fall at all, we're average at best.

Zone wasn't going to be the answer last night. Sorry. LaSalle's guards showed in the first half that they could get past their man and to the tin with ease. Then, when we played off a little, they made their jumpers in the second half. The press was most effective, but we couldn't play it all night. Our guards are banged up. Sin and TDM have missed games, and Frankie had missed practice with issues this week. Wade is green, though it was good to see him make a 3 and shoot a couple more with confidence.

Along similar lines, I thought our defense was OK. Very good in the first half, except on the glass, and good enough after the first 8 minutes of the second half. Can't fault them on the long, contested 3s. Transition D was awful, though. We need to sprint back after missed shots.

EW got a really good look at the end. Pretty well-designed play, as they used Sin and TDM as decoys on the inbounds. It's not easy with 4.6 seconds left, and Eric shot a semi-contested 12-footer. Just a little too strong off the window.

I really like watching Marcus Weathers ball. He's a bulldog. He just needs to stop shooting 3s. With Mike Hughes in foul trouble, he really carried the inside game for parts of the night. You win games -- and I think championships -- with players like him in your rotation.

Anyone catch that up-and-under post move from Amari Kelly? That kid hasn't scratched what he can do.

Bizeau didn't get much run. Would have liked to see more time from him. However, he seemed way off with his jumper in pregame and halftime warmups. Not sure if the coaches see that and it has any effect, but it was evident.

Have to go get GW on Saturday. It's a must-win to set us up for the last five. I could see us go anywhere from 1-5 to 5-1 the rest of the way.

2/14/2019 10:27 am  #52

currentstudent wrote:

Eric Williams needs to play harder. Many times during the 1st half of the game he looked like he didnt want to be there. 

I really did not see that.  I thought Williams played hard and had a heck of game with 15 points, 8 rebounds 4 steals.  I wish however that he would have drove into the moving defender on the final shot to possible get foul if he missed the shot, but it was a bang bang play and just got it off.  Great effort.

2/14/2019 10:30 am  #53

currentstudent wrote:

Eric Williams needs to play harder. Many times during the 1st half of the game he looked like he didnt want to be there. 

I really did not see that.  I thought Williams played hard and had a heck of game with 15 points, 8 rebounds 4 steals.  I wish however that he would have drove into the moving defender on the final shot to possible get foul if he missed the shot, but it was a bang bang play and just got it off.  Great effort.

2/14/2019 10:36 am  #54

CLK wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

Eric played a fantastic second half. On the last shot, though, he wasn't going to get a foul call on a drive unless it was a hammering. The stripes let all of that go for the most part. Hughes had a few blocks down the stretch that were probably fouls on the body and the whistles were silent. Eric got a good shot. He probably makes that about 4 out of 10 times, and with 4.6 seconds to go the full court, that's a good percentage shot.

2/14/2019 10:44 am  #55

Agree totally about Williams. Best player on the team. Does a lot. With all due respect, as a person who just recently joined in but would love to see the Dukes put their brand on western pa basketball again, i find this thread to contain some surprisingly negative reactions to a game that just fits into the ongoing process of getting better, building a program and sooner than later becoming very relevant in the college basketball landscape. If this game were played with Ferry's players and during Ferry's time, we'd be reacting to a double-digit loss, not one that could have been won at the buzzer. CLK, keep this crew grounded with your voice of reason. And I agree, too, with mjp1542, Eric Williams is a player. Also, another poster (no name mention this time) suggested Mike Hughes sit at the end of the game. Wow.

2/14/2019 10:54 am  #56

Who woulda thunk Weathers might be the 2nd best FT shooter on the team?!?!?

2/14/2019 10:57 am  #57

Godukes2017 wrote:

currentstudent wrote:

I wouldn’t wanna be out there either if I was him. There is no offense it’s obvious. Ball screen for sin and iso. You can’t play like that. Don’t be surprised if Williams transfer. Tough season in eyes of fans but 37% from three and 40% from field 13ppg 8rpg and he’s getting froze on offense now???

Wow! I would be surprised if he leaves because of what a couple of fans have to say about him.  Most fans recognize and appreciate what he brings to this team.  Eric seems to be a loyal guy, and given the opportunity that KD has given him, yes I would be surprised if he transfers over some fans comment.

2/14/2019 12:05 pm  #58

Eric is going to be the cornerstone for this team and I expect that his Junior year he will contest for league player of the year. That said, KD has to involve him more in the offense in the First Half. I also believe that it is time to find out if Lamar Norman is going to be a player at this level. His defense is good and he looks to be a better shooter than Frankie. Give him some extended time.

2/14/2019 12:43 pm  #59

Great posts guys!  CLK I didn't realize that stat about the bench and that is telling - good insight.  Hook, as I posted elsewhere I do think LN needs to get some extended time.  Eric played very well, no question, and the rest of the front line (MW and MH) did too.  Just a disappointing loss in a winnable game, but there is year to year improvement, no questions.  Finally, Iron Duke and others, AGREE 100%, GET RID OF THOSE FRIGHIN YINZER BLACK AND GOLD UNIFORMS.  Want something different, do a throw back with our traditional colors.........PLEASE!!!

2/14/2019 12:46 pm  #60

2/14/2019 3:59 pm  #61

I liked them when they were new, and they're probably the second best unis we've ever had, but they can't touch these classics. 

2/14/2019 7:45 pm  #62

Crosseye wrote:

Agree totally about Williams. Best player on the team. Does a lot. With all due respect, as a person who just recently joined in but would love to see the Dukes put their brand on western pa basketball again, i find this thread to contain some surprisingly negative reactions to a game that just fits into the ongoing process of getting better, building a program and sooner than later becoming very relevant in the college basketball landscape. If this game were played with Ferry's players and during Ferry's time, we'd be reacting to a double-digit loss, not one that could have been won at the buzzer. CLK, keep this crew grounded with your voice of reason. And I agree, too, with mjp1542, Eric Williams is a player. Also, another poster (no name mention this time) suggested Mike Hughes sit at the end of the game. Wow.

You are correct games like that are just part of the process of building.   As I mentioned yesterday; LaSalle plays some very experienced players; Pookie being a 5th year guy!  I would have been more concerned if the Dukes went quietly; but they fought back to get the lead, which was impressive.  I’m good with this team; just a shame about the injuries; which are limiting the minutes of some of our best players.

2/14/2019 8:27 pm  #63

HookShot wrote:

Eric is going to be the cornerstone for this team and I expect that his Junior year he will contest for league player of the year. That said, KD has to involve him more in the offense in the First Half. I also believe that it is time to find out if Lamar Norman is going to be a player at this level. His defense is good and he looks to be a better shooter than Frankie. Give him some extended time.

The one thing that bothers me about Williams is that more than a few times he is in no hurry getting back on defense. Tends to jog back at times.

2/15/2019 9:36 am  #64

I'm with you but also play your heart out kid. If you are looking to transfer wouldn't you want to blow out your stats so you get picked up by a power 5? 

It is just so frustrating because he's a FREAK athlete and if he played with the intensity of TDM that game is ours by 8+ 

Godukes2017 wrote:

And not to mention currentstudent.. he is our best rebounder at 6’6 small forward so yes I can see why he is frustrated during games when there’s no team basketball being played. He makes great plays and passes for others too so why is he sitting in corner like a skeleton half the time.. COACHING..

Roll Dukes Roll

2/15/2019 10:33 am  #65

WashPaRick wrote:

HookShot wrote:

The one thing that bothers me about Williams is that more than a few times he is in no hurry getting back on defense. Tends to jog back at times.

He's not the only one. Our transition defense has been bad. That needs to be fixed. All it takes is hustle and awareness.

2/15/2019 11:20 am  #66

Until our bench starts consistently stepping up, it looks to me like all the starters are trying to pace themselves and avoid fouling, so they can get themselves to the end of the game.. Add in the pressing and the defense really starts to suffer.

2/15/2019 11:27 am  #67

currentstudent wrote:

I'm with you but also play your heart out kid. If you are looking to transfer wouldn't you want to blow out your stats so you get picked up by a power 5? 

It is just so frustrating because he's a FREAK athlete and if he played with the intensity of TDM that game is ours by 8+ 

Godukes2017 wrote:

And not to mention currentstudent.. he is our best rebounder at 6’6 small forward so yes I can see why he is frustrated during games when there’s no team basketball being played. He makes great plays and passes for others too so why is he sitting in corner like a skeleton half the time.. COACHING..

Stop referring to this as if I’m Eric first off. Second off Eric plays with great intensity and yes he does pace himself sometimes but if you’re really watching the game you can tell he is just frustrated sometimes and he does need to fix that. TDM gets spots minutes so of course his intensity looks amazing Eric has no sub for him. Think about it. He literally doesn’t and if he does it’s for a quick sec and he’s plays the 4 man if you haven’t noticed CURRENTSTUDENT. I only said he wants to transfer because imagine if you were him and you the last few games you get no looks besides off hustle plays and rebounds. He’s a kid so his time will come but don’t say he’s not playing hard he has a lot of responsibility that some others don’t. You sound like you don’t watch any of the games enough to understand and why he looks the way he does. I’m not saying it’s right either but as you see he still rebounds the ball hella for us and makes a lot of fixes on defense that go unoticed.

Thank you my friend. I don’t post as much on here but seeing you ramble absolute nonesense is crazy sometimes. He’s a team player and has shown that.

2/15/2019 11:50 am  #68

Thank you Godukes2017.  Sometime I just have to scratch my head and hope our players don't read our board.  

2/15/2019 12:40 pm  #69

MikeR wrote:

Until our bench starts consistently stepping up, it looks to me like all the starters are trying to pace themselves and avoid fouling, so they can get themselves to the end of the game.. Add in the pressing and the defense really starts to suffer.

I think this is a very possible reason. Our bench went from way too long to very short in the span of a month and a half.

To other points, I really don't think zone is the solution here. La Salle already had tons of success rebounding the ball and were shooting the lights out in the 2nd half for a while. Those do not give me reasons to switch to zone

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/15/2019 1:43 pm  #70

CLK wrote:

Thank you Godukes2017.  Sometime I just have to scratch my head and hope our players don't read our board.  

I’ve been around for awhile I’m just quiet and like to read the comments but it’s abusurd sometimes. Williams having an off year and still is averaging the same as last year. Head hurts reading these comments sometimes about not only him but other players too. I love the board though it gets out a bunch of misleading things to talk about LOL

2/15/2019 3:00 pm  #71

The board is primarily good people who care about the program.  Having said that it is quite annoying that every time things go awry, the same garbage comes out of the woodwork.  Quit griping about what defense we use - you are not the coach and the coach we have ain’t listening to you which he should not.  Also, quit the transfer talk.  It is an insult to the kids and the entire program.  Free country - post what you will but if you are Dukes fans, act like it and express yourself accordingly.  We are not Duke and so far are not VCU either.  Just my cheap two cents.  I am enjoying this team immensely. 
A final thought- I do not direct this only at Ritter.  In fact, although I think he is way over the top at times, he actually makes sense - just not in a mellow tone

2/15/2019 6:08 pm  #72

EW really needs to hit the weight room and get stronger. With today's rules (if a big doesn't reach in or come down with his arms, it's rarely going to be called a foul), he is having a hard time getting calls inside since he just bounces off of people.  He does get frustrated since he is getting fouled consistently, with nothing to show for it.  

2/15/2019 6:43 pm  #73

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

EW really needs to hit the weight room and get stronger. With today's rules (if a big doesn't reach in or come down with his arms, it's rarely going to be called a foul), he is having a hard time getting calls inside since he just bounces off of people.  He does get frustrated since he is getting fouled consistently, with nothing to show for it.  

Per John hendo (strength coach) made a post of him saying he add 20 plus pounds of muscle so is that really the case? 190 to 205 and 6’6 this year...

2/16/2019 1:31 am  #74

Godukes2017 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Per John hendo (strength coach) made a post of him saying he add 20 plus pounds of muscle so is that really the case? 190 to 205 and 6’6 this year...

I think that was a quote from a November 2018 Pittsburgh Sports Now article. That may have been true in October; EW may have given some of that back as the rigors of the season have taken its toll.  Could be my eyes or my television screen. But take a look yourself later today vs. GW.

2/16/2019 7:43 am  #75

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I think that was a quote from a November 2018 Pittsburgh Sports Now article. That may have been true in October; EW may have given some of that back as the rigors of the season have taken its toll.  Could be my eyes or my television screen. But take a look yourself later today vs. GW.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtwVAQyh-F7/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=uhbm695vo0hf

Board footera