Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2019 8:54 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure Bonnies (A)

WashPaRick wrote:

IronDukes12 wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Getting worse. Williams man good god.

Have any of his shots actually hit the rim tonight?  This is getting worse...

Williams having trouble with his eyes? Wearing one black and one white shoe.

LOL

2/27/2019 8:54 pm  #27

Norman (7-13) has more field goals than the rest of the team (6-28). At least one guy showed up.

2/27/2019 9:14 pm  #28

That was ugly.  I hope we play better in our final three regular season contests.  Then again, I suppose we couldn't play worse.

Last edited by IronDukes12 (2/27/2019 9:15 pm)

2/27/2019 9:16 pm  #29

Would be nice to have an ignorant student section here, cchants of you’re ugly and you suck.  Nice!

They are a cocky .500 team if there ever was one.   

We stunk tonight, cant say i’m surprised after GM game.   

Gotta get umass saturday.

2/27/2019 9:17 pm  #30

Williams and Frankie take 16 shots between them 15 from three (somehow made 2 of them). Afraid of their tall lanky Freshmen I guess. Got to get tougher. Disappointing.

2/27/2019 9:26 pm  #31

What a jerk' like u just won the NCAAA championship.  Get a life loser

2/27/2019 9:32 pm  #32

Where is that pro-bonnie post or was i seeing things?

2/27/2019 9:32 pm  #33

You lose and play tough, I get it.  This was an undisciplined, bad performance.  Shooting, passing, D, you name it we stunk.  Only bright spot was LNorman who I've said should be getting more minutes.  EW has regressed this year, no question.  He still can't create a shot and if he can't hit his set shot from outside he gives you zero offensively, plus he turns the ball over too much.  TDM and Marcus basically were absent tonight as well, but generally they are reliable and produce.  I still don't think TDM is a true PG and Wade is still in over his head, sorry, Patriot league seems to be his level.  As others have said you win and you lose with Frankie six gun and tonight he had trouble hitting the side of the barn.  Oh well, I wasn't optimistic going in after hearing about SC's surgery, especially in Olean, but unless the surgery corrects his knee problem, which based on what has been said is a genetic condition, we need to recruit another PG.  We need to bounce back against UMass and play with a purpose. 

2/27/2019 9:42 pm  #34

this is the first stinker score since pitt.  thats a pretty good run.
But now its about bouncing back.  Cant look ahead, cant start slow.  UMass, gotta beat them.  
A lot left to prove and gain.  Get some!!!!

Where'd you see genetic condition?  Cant say I have seen anything like that.

2/27/2019 9:42 pm  #35

Well not much to say about that one except hopefully we got the stinker out of the way for the season. Turnovers, missed foul shots, lack of movement offensively, poor shot selection, did I miss anything? We made a mediocre team look like a title contender. Obviously I hope Sin heals up quickly and can get back for the tourney at least. I don't know that Magic could have helped us tonight though with the way the other four were playing.

2/27/2019 9:50 pm  #36

I said it at the time. If we were to beat this team, we had to do it at Palumbo. We blew that opportunity and got swept by the team I hate most to lose to. And I ended the last sentence with a preposition on purpose.

2/27/2019 11:07 pm  #37

Townsonkid, pretty sure KD said the condition was genetic in one of the PSN or Trib interviews.  He said that is what causes the flaking, for lack of a more accurate description.  It's a shame really, kid is a heck of a talent.

2/28/2019 7:53 am  #38

PistolPete wrote:

You lose and play tough, I get it.  This was an undisciplined, bad performance.  Shooting, passing, D, you name it we stunk.  Only bright spot was LNorman who I've said should be getting more minutes.  EW has regressed this year, no question.  He still can't create a shot and if he can't hit his set shot from outside he gives you zero offensively, plus he turns the ball over too much.  TDM and Marcus basically were absent tonight as well, but generally they are reliable and produce.  I still don't think TDM is a true PG and Wade is still in over his head, sorry, Patriot league seems to be his level.  As others have said you win and you lose with Frankie six gun and tonight he had trouble hitting the side of the barn.  Oh well, I wasn't optimistic going in after hearing about SC's surgery, especially in Olean, but unless the surgery corrects his knee problem, which based on what has been said is a genetic condition, we need to recruit another PG.  We need to bounce back against UMass and play with a purpose. 

Pistol agree about L Norman’s PT throughout the season. Yes the Dukes were Charles Barkley “Terrrrible” BUT Norman’s play bodes well for the future. The Dukes had a lack of production from the 2 . Next year comes Maceo Austin. If EW & BIG Shot chucker struggle Austin Norman along with Sincere/TDM provide a solid guard combo. If the big guy with his 7’4 wingspan is a shot blocker the Dukes 4/5 along with the return of Rotroff can place Weathers /Mike Hughes to 4. Hopefully Norman’s stock continues to rise. If other experienced players continue to struggle for whatever reason Coach Dambrot has options unlike last night. Time for a arse kicking against UMASS

2/28/2019 8:28 am  #39

Bottom line this was a team loss.  Of the 47 points we had Lamar had 20, Kelly had 2, and our starting 5 had 25.  We looked completely out of sync on offense, and on those occasions where we had open shots we missed.  There was no effective dribble penetration, and most of our shots we took were not very good shots.  Frankie, Eric and TDM combined were 2 0f 20 in three point shots.  I love TDM and I think is a very good player, but it was a bad match up for him last night, and he and the rest of the team struggled.

The Dukes need to put this one in the rear view mirror, regroup, resolve, rekindle and beat UMass on Saturday and finish the season strong.

Box Score:  
https://goduquesne.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=9712

Last edited by CLK (2/28/2019 8:28 am)

2/28/2019 9:17 am  #40

EW couldnt hit a barn last night let alone the basket.  I think it was the shoes.  
Why does each player need his own style of shoe?  some black, some white, pink, blue, yellow.  Whats with that?  Looks awful, to me anyway.  They got real nice uniforms, great colors, and then wear clown shoes.

2/28/2019 9:43 am  #41

townsonkid wrote:

EW couldnt hit a barn last night let alone the basket.  I think it was the shoes.  
Why does each player need his own style of shoe?  some black, some white, pink, blue, yellow.  Whats with that?  Looks awful, to me anyway.  They got real nice uniforms, great colors, and then wear clown shoes.

This is an assumption but it is probably a recruitment tool. Majority of these kids/recruits are big sneaker heads. Allowing for unique shoes to showcase their individual style is an easy recruiting win - pair that with the exclusive Lebron/Nike deal and it strengthens Duquesne's position. When you're coming from the position we are for recruits, you throw everything you can at them. 

Tough game to watch last night

2/28/2019 9:59 am  #42

Ya if we could avoid playing the Bonnies in the A10 Tournament for a while, that'd be great... 96 points total in 80 combined minutes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/28/2019 10:23 am  #43

Seems pretty apparent now seeing it a second time that Bona's length on defense causes Duquesne major issues on offense. They're able to stay home on shooters when the ball goes inside and it's a disastrous 70.5 offensive efficiency rating in the two games behind all the ugly shooting numbers.

2/28/2019 10:36 am  #44

Thoughts...
-Eric has struggled for the majority of the last 10 games.  The difference has been that the other guys stepped up and made shots.  If he would make shots like he did last year and almost the first half-this year, our record would be even better.  He has not struggled this long since he has been here.  But, he is needed for rebounds and hopefully will play out of it.  In a way, and I’ll say it, I hope he didn’t catch what Mike Lewis had...thinking too much and losing confidence.  When you start shooting airballs or not hitting the rim...it is mental.
-With the “previous” coach who shall go nameless, I would be upset and depressed!  This coach will work harder, see what needs to be done, fix it.  Just remember...those close games we won, could have gone the other way.  So we aren’t as good as we think and not as bad if we would have lost those.
-They got their as—s kicked last night.  That’s okay.  I think they needed a wake-up - need to work harder for the playoffs call.

Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (2/28/2019 10:58 am)

2/28/2019 10:50 am  #45

Brian wrote:

Seems pretty apparent now seeing it a second time that Bona's length on defense causes Duquesne major issues on offense. They're able to stay home on shooters when the ball goes inside and it's a disastrous 70.5 offensive efficiency rating in the two games behind all the ugly shooting numbers.

Agreed. I know this board (and previous incarnations) have long favored the "pound it inside" strategy, but that just gets you turnovers, blocked shots and off-balance shots with no hope of going in against this team. They got plenty of decent looks from outside, but that doesn't really mean much when all you have is streak shooters. We had the LHTM defense of Jim Ferry, when we play Bonaventure, we have the LHIGI (Let's Hope it Goes In) offense. Or if you prefer, the chuck-it-up-and-pray.

On a side note, I think a necessary part of this team's development is the maturation of its players, in particular, Williams and Mike Hughes. The latter's technical last night--when his team had possession--was completely unacceptable. Maybe the Bonaventure announcers spoke in cliches but they made a good point when they noted Bonaventure was way more disciplined than Duquesne. 

2/28/2019 10:56 am  #46

I think we all can admit that Bona is not a good matchup for us. Their length forces us into an outside game, and they do a pretty good job closing out on shooters. And they give us very little on the offensive glass, which has been a huge positive in games where our 3s aren't going down.

The Dukes would be best to fall on the opposite side of the bracket of VCU and Bona. I think we match up better with Dayton and Davidson. That likely means finishing sixth or seventh, which should be achieved with one more victory. Last time we finished seventh, the tournament was a pretty fun ride.

All this goes out the window, though, if Sin can't get back for the tournament. We're just OK with out him, but very dangerous with him.

2/28/2019 11:31 am  #47

Bonnies' overall record may not be that impressive, but they're going to be a tough out in Brooklyn. Stockard, their leading scorer, missed the first six games of the season, they lost five of them. Griffin missed 10 games early in the season, they lost six of them. Jaylen Poyser missed seven conference games, they lost three of them, including at home to Dayton and Davidson. Nelson Kaputo missed the Dayton game as well. Dominick Welch missed nine games in the non-conference schedule, they lost six of them. They don't have much depth so take away any of their top seven and their performance suffers. But they seem pretty healthy now and I don't think anyone wants to play them in Brooklyn. 

Looking forward to playing them next year though when we get everyone back and they lose Stockard and Griffin to graduation.

2/28/2019 11:39 am  #48

Right on!  I think Dayton is scary with Toppin, but would rather play them than SBU, even on a neutral court.   Sounds weird, but Davidson might be the one to play.  
Sin will be needed, at least 10-15 minutes a game, when the plan is going to be 4 games in 4 days.  Need the bodies.  
Has there ever been thought to letting Bizeau play down low more, quick post moves, fade away jumpers and at nearly 7' tall, he has to be able to grab a few rebounds too.  When he does play, he's 20 ft from the hoop, I know he can shoot 3s but we need more than that from a 7' cat, IMO.

2/28/2019 1:51 pm  #49

Some additional comments and some random thoughts after watching the replay:

1. The point guard play last night was ineffective (putting it politely). We miss Carry's ability to drive the ball to the hoop.  What do you all think about giving Lamar some minutes at the point while Carry is out?  He played the point in HS.  He is athletic, has a good handle, has a quick first step and can drive the ball hard to the hoop.  I think it would be an interesting experiment.  

2.  Speaking of driving the ball, I think Frankie would be a more effective player if he drove the ball more, and look for open mid range shots or eliminate the double team on Mike and get the assist. 

3. Speaking of driving again, what drives me crazy is watching our guys arguing with each other jogging up court on defense while their guy blows down court for an easy bucket.  This is on our coaches.

4.  The Bonnies were the more physical team last night, and got the advantage of not getting calls.  While we were screwed on several calls, we need to control our emotions.  The game was still in reach 12 down with 4:30 left, but the technical foul took the wind out of the team.  Again this is on our coaches.

5.  With very few exceptions this team always comes out flat with the same issues...sloppy unforced turnovers, poor shots early in the shot clock, inability to defend.  We usually rally after the 5 minute mark but wind up spotting teams 10 to 15 points.  I have heard all the explanation on this board but I still don't understand this.  

We can still get a double bye, but to get there we need to win out and hope for help.  This team has worked hard.  It is time for a team gut check.  I believe that the Dukes will bounce back and finish strong.  Go Dukes!

2/28/2019 2:19 pm  #50

Not to pile on this kid but I have never been a fan of EW. He is crazy athletic and could be a great player if he stays within himself. Stop shooting 3's - you feet land a different way ever time. Stay within 20 feet and play hard defense. 

I hate short PGs but TMD made me eat my words - Last night was my fear.

I have no idea why L Norman has been seeing so much bench this year - the kid has a smooth game,

I will end with this.....I hate to say it....but having Mike Lew would be awesome right now.   

Roll Dukes Roll

Board footera