Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2019 12:12 pm  #1

4/10/2019 12:22 pm  #2

Re: Swingle to transfer

Rotroff, Kelly, Bizeau and Swingle(the tallest class in DU history), are now down to 2 guys rehabbing ACLs and Ellis(who is a wildcard).  Thank goodness Rotroff is scheduled to be back for the season.

If it makes anyone feel better, Nick Honor is leaving Fordham, he was their best player and a freshman.

4/10/2019 12:24 pm  #3

Not much of a shock to me. I never understood how he was going to make it in the defensive scheme & there was quite the logjam at center.

This makes me really hope that Rotroff can evolve to be a bit more of a stretch 4.

Good luck to Dylan!

A Utomi commitment would make my day.

4/10/2019 12:30 pm  #4

townsonkid wrote:

Rotroff, Kelly, Bizeau and Swingle(the tallest class in DU history), are now down to 2 guys rehabbing ACLs and Ellis(who is a wildcard).  Thank goodness Rotroff is scheduled to be back for the season.

If it makes anyone feel better, Nick Honor is leaving Fordham, he was their best player and a freshman.

Dambrot is not done recruiting.  Not sure why anyone leaving Fordham makes anyone feel better.

When the recruiting/transfer dust settles I want to start a thread to get everyone's opinion on if it was addition or subtraction.   The article said we may get a grad transfer.

4/10/2019 12:47 pm  #5

IDK, maybe because he was on the all rookie team and avg 15 ppg, and could possibly have been a thorn in our sides for the next couple years.  But WTH do I know?  Sorry to interrupt everyone's misery with a change-up.

4/10/2019 12:48 pm  #6

Fordham loses their best player every year which is why they can't make any progress.

4/10/2019 12:52 pm  #7

With 3 new recruits. 4 transfers out and presumably Ellis qualified  , we have 1 scholie to give - is that right?

Last edited by Westender (4/10/2019 12:53 pm)

4/10/2019 12:58 pm  #8

Westender wrote:

With 3 new recruits. 4 transfers out and presumably Ellis qualified , we have 1 scholie to give - is that right?

Yes that is correct.  The article said we are looking at grad transfers, or possibly holding the ship for 2020.  Not sure I understand holding it open.  I would take the best grad PF available.  It would still open up a scholarship for 2020 and give us another player for this year.

Last edited by CLK (4/10/2019 1:02 pm)

4/10/2019 1:26 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

Fordham loses their best player every year which is why they can't make any progress.

A lesson for us all.

4/10/2019 2:12 pm  #10

scduke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

A lesson for us all.

Not really a lesson when you understand that this is the fate of most mid majors with the current transfer rules. The crappy mid majors are in the worst shape because the kid likely went there because it was his “highest offer” in terms of the best league he could play in.

Went there, exceeded expectations, almost a certainty he will leave because the team always sucks and probably always will. We are in a slightly better position than Fordham because of last year’s success, KD, and his connections with Lebron and others. Continued success will get us away from losing our best players every year as we seemingly have.

VCU, Dayton, and URI types do not have this problem because while they are in our league, they are looked at much more like a P5 program than we are. Their best players generally don’t move up because they are making the tourney and getting the exposure where they are.

We are moving in that direction I think.....

4/10/2019 2:24 pm  #11

Duques102 wrote:

scduke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

A lesson for us all.

Not really a lesson when you understand that this is the fate of most mid majors with the current transfer rules. The crappy mid majors are in the worst shape because the kid likely went there because it was his “highest offer” in terms of the best league he could play in.

Went there, exceeded expectations, almost a certainty he will leave because the team always sucks and probably always will. We are in a slightly better position than Fordham because of last year’s success, KD, and his connections with Lebron and others. Continued success will get us away from losing our best players every year as we seemingly have.

VCU, Dayton, and URI types do not have this problem because while they are in our league, they are looked at much more like a P5 program than we are. Their best players generally don’t move up because they are making the tourney and getting the exposure where they are.

We are moving in that direction I think.....

100% correct! No need to leave VCU if you're one of the best players on the team. You're winning lots of games, playing a ton, and getting to the NCAAs. You might end up on the bench if you choose the wrong P5 team. If you're playing on an also ran, it's probably worth the risk to jump. Plus, with the grad transfer rule, you'll eventually be a 5th year senior, and if things don't work out, you can jump back down to a team at a lower level. For example, (not predicting this, just using it as an example), we have four 4th year juniors who transferred in. If by chance any of them lost their spot in the rotation, and ended up not playing much, they would likely grad transfer next spring into a better spot. VCU had a player who had transferred out after his freshman year, who ended up returning this year as a grad transfer. It's pretty crazy now. This even affects P5 schools if they're not very good. When Pitt bottomed out under Stallings, their best returning player jumped to UNC. Worked out well for him too.
As for Swingle, I think KD came to the conclusion that Ellis, Rotroff, and Kelly were all better prospects, so there was really no point in Dylan sitting here and rotting away on the bench.

4/10/2019 3:55 pm  #12

It appears to me that the new "Normal" at a school like DU is this.

Freshman come in , they effectively are on a one year "contract".  If the player does not appear to be a long term fit the player departs in search of a better opportunity / fit for him. Those players that are contributors we have to hope they are back for years #2 , #3 and maybe #4 if we are blessed.

By my count ( I may be missing someone ) 9 players ( Kratholm , Krivo , Verhooven , Lewis , Randall , Swingle , Bizzeau , Williams , and Wade have departed since April , 2018.

I understand what Coach D. is doing given the sorry state of the program when he arrived. I just hope at some point there is a bit of stability from year to year.

A bit off topic, but there appears to be a proposal to limit the grad transfer situation by NCAA member schools.  If you accept a grad transfer the schollie is tied up for 2 years even thought the player can only play , in most cases , 1 year.  The thinking being it takes 2 years to obtain an advanced degree in most cases. I think I read somewhere that only 22 % of "Grad transfers" for hoops obtained an advanced degree.

4/10/2019 4:24 pm  #13

I called Swingle leaving some time ago and I wish him the best.  I too believe and hear that KD is not done recruiting.  Frankly, I see him bringing in an immediate plug and play grad transfer + another big.  I don't know how he works out the scholies, but there are lots of ways kids can get school paid for through grants and other academic scholarships.  

4/10/2019 6:06 pm  #14

PistolPete wrote:

I called Swingle leaving some time ago and I wish him the best.  I too believe and hear that KD is not done recruiting.  Frankly, I see him bringing in an immediate plug and play grad transfer + another big.  I don't know how he works out the scholies, but there are lots of ways kids can get school paid for through grants and other academic scholarships.  

If a player is recruited, I believe he counts against the limit, even if you put him on an academic scholarship. They have to be true walk-ons not to count.

4/10/2019 7:42 pm  #15

I am disappointed that Swingle is transferring.  The Dukes suffered against teams with  big, physical inside players.  Swingle would have helped counter those teams.

4/10/2019 8:14 pm  #16

Dsnyder15 wrote:

I am disappointed that Swingle is transferring.  The Dukes suffered against teams with  big, physical inside players.  Swingle would have helped counter those teams.

DSnyder15:
Does KD have any history with players like Swingle of changing up the defensive scheme a bit to account for less mobility & more bulk? Was the Big Dog abe to execute the hedging & switching required in the current scheme?

I love watching BD highlights. Great hands, great footwork, refined post moves, & a great sense of how to use his body. I hoped Swingle would develop in this way but though it a long shot given his high school videos.

4/10/2019 10:04 pm  #17

I am so disappointed Swingle would transfer without ever playing a minute at Duquesne.I guess this stage
was a little too overwhelming to him.Go back home to Paint Valley and relive the glory days Dylan when
you were 10 inches taller than anyone around ,the competition you played against.was so weak.

4/10/2019 10:40 pm  #18

If the coaches chased Dylan out then shame on them and I am sorry Dylan that  Duquesne  did this to you,
Duquesne should honor the scholarships given to players who are not developing  rapidly enough.
If the coaches make mistakes in judging talent then live with it and coach the kid up.

4/10/2019 11:06 pm  #19

stew wrote:

I am so disappointed Swingle would transfer without ever playing a minute at Duquesne.I guess this stage
was a little too overwhelming to him.Go back home to Paint Valley and relive the glory days Dylan when
you were 10 inches taller than anyone around ,the competition you played against.was so weak.

That's not nice. The board sure has gotten ugly this week. No reason to beat up on these young men. The days when a player would accept being a scrub for four years, as well as the coaches being willing to keep such players around is now gone.

4/11/2019 6:09 am  #20

duq81 wrote:

Gee where have I seen that somewhere else....

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

4/11/2019 8:32 am  #21

I Have Been Waiting For A Ncaa Invite Since 1977.i Walk Around Hilliard Ohio With 
A Duquesne Jersey,i Make The Trips To Watch The Bluffites And I Am Pissed.

Last edited by CLK (4/11/2019 10:15 am)

4/11/2019 8:59 am  #22

I thought maybe ElDuque had over-reacted a little bit. But since then, some of you have really proved him right. I am embarrassed to even be part of this board. I hope the moderators will step in and clean this up.

4/11/2019 9:05 am  #23

Gentlemen, trust the KD process, but wish all those leaving the best.  I'll respond to some of the EW questions in the other thread, but overall transfers are now part of the landscape of college bball, like it or not.  To argue that a kid who is not going to play or contribute should remain on scholarship ignores the reality that any kid initially offered a scholie believes he can play and the coaching staff probably thinks that as well.  However, this isn't an exact science, ask the Steelers what they think today about the Jarvis Jones pick.  Probably 25%-30% of the time the player and the Coach realize the kid is not going to play and that is something neither the Coach or player likes.  Sometimes the player and the coach don't jell and that has nothing to do with either, that's just life.  What is important is that the situation is handled with respect and honesty.  Given the positive statements made by players leaving, and in some cases their families, my take is that KD and Duquesne treat them respectfully and really try to help them land in a better situation, or respect their decision to move on.  For the record, I like what we are building with those that remain and the new players coming in.

4/11/2019 9:13 am  #24

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

DSnyder15:
Does KD have any history with players like Swingle of changing up the defensive scheme a bit to account for less mobility & more bulk? Was the Big Dog abe to execute the hedging & switching required in the current scheme?.

Phil95, yes, the elephant in the room.  It must have been obvious to both Dylan and Gavin (and the coaching staff) that they were going to have a hard time getting playing time because of their deficiencies in KD's defensive scheme. I can only imagine practice where these guys had to try to defend Mike Hughes, Ellis, Rotroff, Weathers, etc., plus aggressively hedge, get back and rotate.

We know that KD's defensive philosophy will always be primarily man to man, with an occasional desperation zone thrown in.  If that wasn't the case and KD primarily played zone, these guys probably would have played significant minutes; and we would have seen some good offensive stats from them.

Unfortunately for them, in the world of college basketball today, there are not many teams playing zone defense as their primary or frequent defense.  By my count, in the NCAA round of 32, there are a handful of teams that fell into the zone defense camp - Washington, Oregon, Iowa and Baylor.  The rest of the field was all man to man.  FWIW.

If I were Gavin or Dylan, I would look at coaches/schools that are mostly zone defense teams to give themselves an opportunity to get significant minutes.

4/11/2019 9:21 am  #25

MikeR wrote:

I thought maybe ElDuque had over-reacted a little bit. But since then, some of you have really proved him right. I am embarrassed to even be part of this board. I hope the moderators will step in and clean this up.

Some pretty epic meltdowns on here. I wish people would take a deep breath and look at what we have coming back next year. I honestly believe we will be better next year, even with Eric.

Board footera