Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2019 1:21 pm  #1

Next Year’s Starting Five

Carry, S.

Norman, L.

Hughes, M.

Hughes, F.

Weathers, M.

Looks good to me!!!!!!!!

4/10/2019 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Next Year’s Starting Five

FAM wrote:

Carry, S.

Norman, L.

Hughes, M.

Hughes, F.

Weathers, M.

Looks good to me!!!!!!!!

That’s probably correct, at least to start the year. TDM, Ellis, Maceo, and Rotroff off the bench...  not too shabby. Would love to add a grad transfer power forward.

4/10/2019 1:26 pm  #3

Substitute Ellis for Frankie and that makes Mike the 4 now you have a inside game that relieves the pressure on the outside to produce.

4/10/2019 1:50 pm  #4

I know I'm beating a dead horse, I know it's useless, I know probably  nobody wants to hear it again, but  I can't get it out of my craw that the lineup would be more potent with Eric Williams Jr in it. Let me vent. Thanks.

4/10/2019 1:53 pm  #5

Whoever starts/plays whatever, needs to put in effort to rebound.   Can say whatever you want about EW, but he rebounded, probably our best rebounder is gone.  A few guys better be willing to step up, or it will get uglier on the boards next year.

4/10/2019 2:00 pm  #6

townsonkid wrote:

Whoever starts/plays whatever, needs to put in effort to rebound.   Can say whatever you want about EW, but he rebounded, probably our best rebounder is gone.  A few guys better be willing to step up, or it will get uglier on the boards next year.

That's what I'm talking about.

4/10/2019 2:39 pm  #7

Carry, and Mike Hughes are the only locks to start. It then will depend on whether we get the grad from Akron. He'll likely start if he comes here, if not Weathers will start. Then the question will be if Ellis, or Rotroff is good enough to start. If not, Weathers becomes a lock, with Mike back at center. The last spot will be a wide open battle between Maceo, Frankie, and Lamar. All three will play, with KD playing a lot of 3 guard sets unless Ellis steps up and puts a stranglehold on a starting spot. TDM will back up both guard spots, but the two new guys will be given a chance to steal minutes from him. Weathers will play a lot whether he starts, or comes off the bench.

4/10/2019 3:31 pm  #8

PG   Carry
SG   Norman
SF   Utomi
PF   Weathers
C     Hughes

4/10/2019 3:35 pm  #9

duq81 wrote:

Carry, and Mike Hughes are the only locks to start. It then will depend on whether we get the grad from Akron. He'll likely start if he comes here, if not Weathers will start. Then the question will be if Ellis, or Rotroff is good enough to start. If not, Weathers becomes a lock, with Mike back at center. The last spot will be a wide open battle between Maceo, Frankie, and Lamar. All three will play, with KD playing a lot of 3 guard sets unless Ellis steps up and puts a stranglehold on a starting spot. TDM will back up both guard spots, but the two new guys will be given a chance to steal minutes from him. Weathers will play a lot whether he starts, or comes off the bench.

Utomi is a wing.  Akron had no big men and he played PF because they had no one else.  He is in incredible condition and extremely strong but he is not a great rebounder or banger.  It is one reason he is leaving....they will be small again his last year.  I don't have any inside information but I know Utomi likes KD and the Duq staff and he did well in that system.  I am hoping he chooses Duq soon.

4/10/2019 3:37 pm  #10

[b][b]The Dome: "Substitute Ellis for Frankie and that makes Mike the 4 now you have a inside game that relieves the pressure on the outside to produce."

I don't believe anyone will replace Mike Hughes at the 5 including Ellis, whom I think has great ability.  Hughes does all the things a 5 should do--rebound, play offense inside as it should be played, feed the outside open men and play defense, including double team defense.  When is the last time a Duquesne team had a 5 with those capabilities?  If anything, Ellis give the Dukes great substitute value at the 5 and can play the 4 with Mike Hughes.  Now that is a pair that can beat a lot of full houses anyday!!
[/b][/b]

Last edited by grammudder (4/10/2019 3:39 pm)

4/10/2019 3:37 pm  #11

I've been told Ellis is "incredibly raw" and it leaves me the impression he isn't particularly close to the starting lineup at this point in time

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/10/2019 4:04 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the highlight films for Ashton Miller, for a 6'5" player, he seems to have an incredible "handle".

4/10/2019 4:20 pm  #13

I agree Indy, but as my buddy the G Man pointed out to me, he does need to work on using his left hand to finish.  When you look at the highlights he always uses this right hand, even when on the left side of the hoop.  That being said, a lot of HS players do that and he can develop the left hand.  I didn't see RJ Barrett using his right hand too much, he always finished with his left 90% + of the time.  Anyway, Miller has nice size, handle, strength and court vision - plus he looks like he can shoot outside as well.  Glad we got him.

4/10/2019 4:27 pm  #14

Forgot to add that I don't think that Ellis is so raw that he will not play right out of the gate.  An observer said he is as good as the Bonnies big freshman and a better offensive game - boy do I hope he's right!!!   KD is molding this roster and I would say the only sure fire starters are M. Hughes and Sin Carry.  April is sure getting exciting!! 

4/10/2019 5:35 pm  #15

Dsnyder15 wrote:

PG   Carry
SG   Norman
SF   Utomi
PF   Weathers
C     Hughes

I'd agree on that line up. If Utomi is not here we could go smaller with Frankie taking his spot.

4/10/2019 5:53 pm  #16

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Utomi is a wing.  Akron had no big men and he played PF because they had no one else.  He is in incredible condition and extremely strong but he is not a great rebounder or banger.  It is one reason he is leaving....they will be small again his last year.  I don't have any inside information but I know Utomi likes KD and the Duq staff and he did well in that system.  I am hoping he chooses Duq soon.

Appreciate your insight on Utomi.  From what I have read, he is a terrific three point shooter.  That is why he is drawing high major attention from the likes of Virginia & UNC.  If KD gets him to come to Duquesne that would be huge (and that is probably an understatement).

With all the lament over the loss of Williams, I actually think (depending on the final piece) the Dukes will be stronger as a team next season.  We have a very solid core retuning.  All 8 returning players have gained significant experience playing together.  Plus I believe we have 4 promising new comers.  I look at James Ellis, who has from reported accounts, used this year to really bulk up and work on his game, and I believe he will be a major contributor in rebounds and rim protection.  Those are two things we did not do particularly well, or should say did not have enough of especially off the bench.  The other area was three point shooting, bench scoring, and bench defense (outside of TDM) especially after Rotroff was hurt. I look at the three freshman, especially Maceo, and they all look like they can shoot and take it to the hoop.  Time will tell on this, but they all look very quick and no reason why KD can't get them to play defense right away and contribute.

My starting 5, as of right now, are:

Carry
Norman
F. Hughes
Weathers
M. Hughes

The next 5:

Sixth man of the year again TDM
Maceo
Miller
Rotroff
Ellis 

I am very optimistic about next season. 

4/10/2019 6:25 pm  #17

indygjm wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the highlight films for Ashton Miller, for a 6'5" player, he seems to have an incredible "handle".

Absolutely. He has that thing on a string. That is what stood out to me the most and unlike 3pt shots or flashy assists, it is not a talent that can be easily exaggerated by good video editing.

4/16/2019 4:20 pm  #18

Hopefully we are now set, do not want to see any more roster changes. Therefore here is my starting five and their backups

Sin Carey.                  Dunn               
L. Norman                  One of the Freshman
F. Hughes.                  Weathers
M. Hughes                  Rotroff
B. Steele.                    Ellis

I am going big because we got out rebounded so bad and we are going to use a three guard set. I would like to see better shot selection and maybe this will lead to better three point percentage.

4/16/2019 5:10 pm  #19

Wildwood13 wrote:

Hopefully we are now set, do not want to see any more roster changes. Therefore here is my starting five and their backups

Sin Carey. Dunn
L. Norman One of the Freshman
F. Hughes. Weathers
M. Hughes Rotroff
B. Steele. Ellis

I am going big because we got out rebounded so bad and we are going to use a three guard set. I would like to see better shot selection and maybe this will lead to better three point percentage.

I don't see Frank Hughes bumping Weathers to the bench. Weathers is actually a forward, and he's a much more consistent player, something that KD likes.

4/16/2019 6:23 pm  #20

Sin and MHughes.   After that, its open.   I wont even speculate on the other starters, roles off the bench or PT.

4/16/2019 6:59 pm  #21

townsonkid wrote:

Sin and MHughes. After that, its open. I wont even speculate on the other starters, roles off the bench or PT.

This is pretty much it. Lot's of competition. Some will win and start, others will be reserves and get minutes, and some will be in the transfer portal next spring. It'll be interesting.

4/16/2019 7:33 pm  #22

KD would have never wasted  the spot on Steele unless he is an immediate impact player. We are all forgetting how badly this team got destroyed on the boards.

4/16/2019 7:39 pm  #23

Fyi Utomi just committed to USC

4/16/2019 8:07 pm  #24

The Dome wrote:

KD would have never wasted the spot on Steele unless he is an immediate impact player. We are all forgetting how badly this team got destroyed on the boards.

Impact might be too strong a word. I just hope he's a contributor.

4/16/2019 8:08 pm  #25

The Dome wrote:

KD would have never wasted  the spot on Steele unless he is an immediate impact player. We are all forgetting how badly this team got destroyed on the boards.

Exactly!

Board footera