Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2019 3:22 pm  #1

Look before you Leap

Look before you transfer. Mike Lewis and the Stevenson kid from Pitt, plus two other transfers are the only roster players at Nevada ! There are no high school kids singed or verbally committed. Both Lewis and the Pitt kid thought they were headed for greener pastures but instead got into a lot worse situation. Plus they do not have a coach. Yikes.

4/11/2019 3:29 pm  #2

Re: Look before you Leap

Wildwood13 wrote:

Look before you transfer. Mike Lewis and the Stevenson kid from Pitt, plus two other transfers are the only roster players at Nevada ! There are no high school kids singed or verbally committed. Both Lewis and the Pitt kid thought they were headed for greener pastures but instead got into a lot worse situation. Plus they do not have a coach. Yikes.

Both of those players were eased out the door. Mike Lewis was demoted. It was no shock that he left. Capel clearly had no interest in keeping Stevenson.Both of them have to sit out next year, so if I were them, I'd be looking for another place to land. Both would draw interest from many mid majors.

4/11/2019 4:28 pm  #3

It sucks to be Mike Lewis. 5 semesters of basketball & 4 coaches. I hope he has a soft landing elsewhere. He deserves a break.

4/11/2019 6:07 pm  #4

I don't believe that Mike Lewis was forced out or eased out the door. In my opinion (since I nor anyone else on this board knows for a fact) what happened was that Mike's playing time decreased based on his performance on the court.  He was struggling particularly on defense.  He saw that his stock was dropping and made what  appears to be a very rash decision to leave and give up a semester of eligibility.  What was reported was the deal he had with Nevada was to pay his way in the spring semester, join the team this summer and sit out next year on scholarship, and be eligible in the 2020-2021 season.  He is very vulnerable now since the new coach (whoever that is) is not bound to give him a scholarship and keep that deal.  If Mike transfers, unless he gets a waiver, would still have to sit out a year at a new school.  Mike is a terrific person and I really hope things work out for him.  

4/11/2019 7:05 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

I don't believe that Mike Lewis was forced out or eased out the door. In my opinion (since I nor anyone else on this board knows for a fact) what happened was that Mike's playing time decreased based on his performance on the court.  He was struggling particularly on defense.  He saw that his stock was dropping and made what  appears to be a very rash decision to leave and give up a semester of eligibility.  What was reported was the deal he had with Nevada was to pay his way in the spring semester, join the team this summer and sit out next year on scholarship, and be eligible in the 2020-2021 season.  He is very vulnerable now since the new coach (whoever that is) is not bound to give him a scholarship and keep that deal.  If Mike transfers, unless he gets a waiver, would still have to sit out a year at a new school.  Mike is a terrific person and I really hope things work out for him.  

I believe Steve Alford is the new coach at Nevada. They had like five players enter the transfer portal. Alford has his work cutout for him.

4/11/2019 7:10 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

The new coach at Nevada will be desperate for players. I can't see any way they try to screw him. That said, he really doesn't have anything holding him if we wants to leave. He has to sit out next year regardless of where he goes, so he can pretty much go anywhere that wants him. The fact that he only has one year left will hurt him. A lot of teams won't want to tie up a spot for two years for a one year guy. I felt that was a reason why we were able to land Ovie Soko, who certainly was good enough to play at a higher level, but required that 2 year commitment for 1 year of play.

4/11/2019 7:50 pm  #7

Sounds like Alford is going to be the next Nevada coach and as of the moment ML II is listed as a walkon while only two scholarship players remain and one JuCo commit for next year in Reno. 

Board footera